How do you respond to political campaign phone calls?

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
edited October 2016 in A Moving Train
We all get them, right? On the one hand, I understand and appreciate people working for their chosen candidates and causes but personally, I grow impatient with all the phone calls coming in. Maybe I should be more understanding and tolerant. I kind of doubt this will happen but maybe your answers here could persuade me to listen to these calls. I'm trying to remain open minded.
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

How do you respond to political campaign phone calls? 17 votes

I listen and learn as much as I can from these calls.
0%
I politely tell the caller, "Thank you but no thanks".
0%
I screen my calls and decide which ones are worth listening to.
5%
brianlux 1 vote
I screen my call and erase any that are political without listening to them.
11%
jeffbrjwhjr17 2 votes
I make a point of telling the caller how much I don't appreciate being called.
5%
eljuda170 1 vote
Other (details, please).
76%
hedonistmcgruff10pjalive21josevolutionlukin2006cutzwhat dreamsCM189191F Me In The BrainPJ_SoulFreergambsseanwon 13 votes

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Other (details, please).
    I responded by discontinuing my landline lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    rgambs said:

A lot of people have suggested I do that and consolidate my phones on to one device (iphone or cell phone) but I really don't want all those microwaves zapping my brain.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Other (details, please).
    Same as gambs! This time a few years ago we'd have been bombarded.

That said, I've had an unusually high number of incoming calls lately on my cell with no messages left (I don't answer if I don't recognize the number), so assuming they're election-related, it's working just fine for me.
  • pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    Other (details, please).
    Don't have a house phone
    hedonist said:

Same as gambs! This time a few years ago we'd have been bombarded.

That said, I've had an unusually high number of incoming calls lately on my cell with no messages left (I don't answer if I don't recognize the number), so assuming they're election-related, it's working just fine for me.

I thought that wasn't supposed to happen but we get the same as well as advertising calls on the cell phone which I only have for when out on the road so it's not often a problem. It's the frequent calls at home that get to me. I just wonder how many people actually listen to these calls?

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    I go all-out Lindsey when they call ..

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited October 2016
    Other (details, please).
    I don't answer calls from numbers i don't know, so it's not deliberate screening specifically of political campaign calls, but I don't end up answering them by default. So I get a voice-mail where they usually just say who they are and that they'll call back. And repeat, lol. I don't need those calls to understand the candidates. The info is so accessible, and I get emails too.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    I screen my call and erase any that are political without listening to them.
    PJ_Soul said:

I don't answer calls from numbers i don't know, so it's not deliberate screening specifically of political campaign calls, but I don't end up answering them by default. So I get a voice-mail where they usually just say who they are and that they'll call back. And repeat, lol. I don't need those calls to understand the candidates. The info is so accessible, and I get emails too.

Same here. I guess I should have picked "Other".
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    I screen them and listen to ones that might have something useful to hear but that is rare so more and more I just want to erase them.

Another question: should non-profits be exempt from "no-call" phone options? I don't think so. My phone should be for personal, private use only.

Other (details, please).
    brianlux said:

I screen them and listen to ones that might have something useful to hear but that is rare so more and more I just want to erase them.

Another question: should non-profits be exempt from "no-call" phone options? I don't think so. My phone should be for personal, private use only.

No, nobody should be exempt from no call options, besides emergency services. Phone calls are literally unnecessary this day and age. Any phone call from someone you don't know personally or that isn't from, say, the cops, is completely pointless. Send a damn email, and then we can just send those to the junk folder at our leisure, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    I tell them I am against the political process as it exists and i will gladly explain why if they have 20 minutes.

*click*
    Other (details, please).
    unsung said:

I tell them I am against the political process as it exists and i will gladly explain why if they have 20 minutes.

*click*

That's how I handle Jehovah's Witnesses, lol.
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    Other (details, please).
    It's weird, I don't get any campaign calls. None. I was at my grandmother's, and she was getting a call every 15 minutes on her cell & home phones. It was crazy, she said it's been like that every day.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    Other (details, please).
    I just don't answer the phone.
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,741
    edited October 2016
    A robocall lets me know that the politician's campaign is out of touch with the public's wants and needs.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    Other (details, please).
    Don't recognize the phone number, i don't answer(that goes for my Cell and Landline).
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Other (details, please).
    rgambs said:

This -- I never got a landline with the house. Put my # on the do not call list.
    If someone calls my cell to try and pitch me on something I hang up. Don't tell them why/whatever....they called me. Just hang up. I like it if they call back again, because I just do it again.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved

A robocall lets me know that the politician's campaign is out of touch with the public's wants and needs.

Sometimes, out of sheer frustration, I will pick up and say, "OK, look I know you're a machine, I know you're just doing your job, doing what you are instructed to do, but you need to stop this, OK?" I even argue their points and if they are rude and don't respond I say, "OK, we're done here. Good-bye!" and hang up on the machine.

edited October 2016
    Other (details, please).

rgambs said:

This -- I never got a landline with the house. Put my # on the do not call list.
    If someone calls my cell to try and pitch me on something I hang up. Don't tell them why/whatever....they called me. Just hang up. I like it if they call back again, because I just do it again.
    I haven't had a landline since 2001. If a solicitor calls me I actually assume they found my number online somewhere or other, because our info isn't always secure, when we use it to buy things, register for stuff, etc. Either that or they just call random combinations of numbers in each area code, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    Do none of you worry about all those microwaves zapping your brains? (A sincere question, not a put-down).

Other (details, please).
    brianlux said:

Do none of you worry about all those microwaves zapping your brains? (A sincere question, not a put-down).

I'm not a talk on the phone frequently type of person, and stuff like speaking with our internet provider or bank or whatever is done on speaker.

I'll die from something, anyway...most likely life itself!
    edited October 2016
    Other (details, please).
    brianlux said:

Nah. I am not bothered to sweat stuff like that. I just spend my life enjoying living it rather than worrying about what the next pleasure or convenience that might or might not cause some slight long term harm is.
  • seanwonseanwon Posts: 264
    Other (details, please).
    Haven't had a landline since about 2001. But, I used to ask them what they were wearing (male or female, didn't matter). "Excuse me sir?" What are you wearing? Is it something cute? Slight pause....."Have a nice night sir."
    1996: 9/29 Randall's Island 2,  10/1 Buffalo                  2000: 8/27 Saratoga Springs
    2003: 4/29 Albany,  5/2 Buffalo,  7/9 MSG 2                   2006: 5/12 Albany,  6/3 East Rutherford 2
    2008: 6/27 Hartford                 2009: 10/27 Philadelphia 1              2010: 5/15 Hartford,   5/21 MSG 2
    2013: 10/15 Worcester 1,  10/25 Hartford                       2014: 10/1 Cincinnati
    2016: 5/2 MSG 2,   8/5 Fenway 1,  11/7 Temple of the Dog MSG
    2018: 9/2 Fenway 1
    2020: 3/30 MSG             2022: 9/11 MSG            2023: 9/10 Noblesville
  • FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    Other (details, please).
    PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

Nah. I am not bothered to sweat stuff like that. I just spend my life enjoying living it rather than worrying about what the next pleasure or convenience that might or might not cause some slight long term harm is.
    Other (details, please).
    Free said:

PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

Oh please. We're all consumers.

PJ, with you on that mindset.
    Other (details, please).
    hedonist said:

brianlux said:

I'm not a talk on the phone frequently type of person, and stuff like speaking with our internet provider or bank or whatever is done on speaker.

I'll die from something, anyway...most likely life itself!
    And
    PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

Other (details, please).
    Free said:

PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

Hahaha high and mighty there! You must have regularly tested well water, eat and drink all organic, local vegan diet, wear a respirator, and long pants and sleeves and hat and sunglasses and sunscreen at all times.
    Surely, you must, because if you drink city water, eat industrial meat or dairy, breathe polluted air, or expose your skin to sunlight you will be exposing yourself to possible harm and certain hypocrisy.
    Oh come on people. Yes, it's all polluted, it's all effed up, and we're all gonna die anyway so let's stick out heads in the radioactive waste bin, rub some chemicals on our faces and go out Monday night as the walking dead.

Come on, do you guys really not give a shit about adding to the self-pollution shower? Forget that. I avoid toxic matter, poisonous chemicals, polluted food and micro waves as often as I can but live in the real (i.e. polluted all to fuck) world like every one else.

Maybe I'll mention all that to the next phone canvasser working for my state congressperson. Give them something to break up the monotony.

"Yes, Jane, Senator Smith sounds like a hell of a guy. Hey, by the way, we're all going to have our faces melt off for Halloween.You in?"

edited October 2016
    Other (details, please).
    brianlux said:

Oh come on people. Yes, it's all polluted, it's all effed up, and we're all gonna die anyway so let's stick out heads in the radioactive waste bin, rub some chemicals on our faces and go out Monday night as the walking dead.

Come on, do you guys really not give a shit about adding to the self-pollution shower? Forget that. I avoid toxic matter, poisonous chemicals, polluted food and micro waves as often as I can but live in the real (i.e. polluted all to fuck) world like every one else.

Maybe I'll mention all that to the next phone canvasser working for my state congressperson. Give them something to break up the monotony.

"Yes, Jane, Senator Smith sounds like a hell of a guy. Hey, by the way, we're all going to have our faces melt off for Halloween.You in?"

It's not all or none. It's not black and white.

Even with the naivete I've yet to fully shed, I know that. I embrace that, actually.

Leave it to me as I find a way to be (and, as I find a way to give my duly-given shits).

It's not anyone else's business but mine.

And how this went from political calls to so-called self-pollution, no idea.

*edit - I'm not a fatalist, I'm a realist. Idealism mixed in for sure, too much at times. But I also realize my time will come in some form no matter how I try to keep it at bay, so I'll live how I want to live till I no longer can.

Post edited by hedonist on
    hedonist said:

brianlux said:

It's not all or none. It's not black and white.

Even with the naivete I've yet to fully shed, I know that. I embrace that, actually.

Leave it to me as I find a way to be (and, as I find a way to give my duly-given shits).

It's not anyone else's business but mine.

And how this went from political calls to so-called self-pollution, no idea.

*edit - I'm not a fatalist, I'm a realist. Idealism mixed in for sure, too much at times. But I also realize my time will come in some form no matter how I try to keep it at bay, so I'll live how I want to live till I no longer can.

I'm not sure how that happened but its Ok. I'm along for the ride and it's good, black or white or grey (and very colorful!).

"I'll live how I want to live till I no longer can" Sounds like the best way to live one's life. The only way, really, isn't it?