Options

Only 2 Drummers Get In? RnRHOF. Merged

Comments

• Options
    Happy New Year all!

I'm just going to chime in that the decision has been made which drummers are going to be inducted into the Hall of Fame with Pearl Jam, and I think the two selected are the right ones, period. I feel bad for Dave A, but his public begging has been embarrassing and providing proof as to why he was not selected to be included. He needs to get on with life and be well. His contribution to the band will never be forgotten, but he ain't getting inducted into the RNRHoF.
    ~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    edited January 2017

Happy New Year all!

I'm just going to chime in that the decision has been made which drummers are going to be inducted into the Hall of Fame with Pearl Jam, and I think the two selected are the right ones, period. I feel bad for Dave A, but his public begging has been embarrassing and providing proof as to why he was not selected to be included. He needs to get on with life and be well. His contribution to the band will never be forgotten, but he ain't getting inducted into the RNRHoF.

all i'll say to that is that the band was extremely lucky to get Jack Irons as a replacement. He was able to carry the band into making 5 classic albums in a row. Cameron is great, but never has been able to add that sort of 'tick tock' the band needs in the studio to make their songs shine.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,419
    Can someone provide some references for how important Dave was to the band during that era? Like some period articles or publications that detail his position as a transcendent member of the band?
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    This thread being merged and all is a giant shitshow all because of one drummer.
    Pearl Jam is who they are now and will be inducted as they are now.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,308
    Pearl Jam were great before Dave A. They were great with Dave A. And they're great after Dave A.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,216
    It's almost as bad as the YouTube comments where everyone always wishes Dave was still in the band. It's like anyone who misses crazy climbing Eddie and those early 90's shows associates Dave leaving to a change in the band's music because it was all him. Beyond ridiculous.

There should be more comments on why Jack isn't getting in because he pulled this band back together during a tumultuous time.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,439
    vaggar99 said:

Happy New Year all!

all i'll say to that is that the band was extremely lucky to get Jack Irons as a replacement. He was able to carry the band into making 5 classic albums in a row. Cameron is great, but never has been able to add that sort of 'tick tock' the band needs in the studio to make their songs shine.
    Jack was only on No Code and Yield

I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    KV4053 said:

vaggar99 said:

Happy New Year all!

Jack was only on No Code and Yield

yes, No Code is album 4 and Yield is number 5
  • Options
    vaggar99 said:

Happy New Year all!

Really? So you don't think anything past Yield shines. Matt drums the shit out of all their albums. Binaural and especially Riot Act and Self Titled shine all around besides a few songs. I'm not a huge fan of Backspacer and Lightning Bolt, but that has nothing to do with the drumming. Matt brings Got Some and MYM to the table.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    tbergs said:

vaggar99 said:

Happy New Year all!

Really? So you don't think anything past Yield shines. Matt drums the shit out of all their albums. Binaural and especially Riot Act and Self Titled shine all around besides a few songs. I'm not a huge fan of Backspacer and Lightning Bolt, but that has nothing to do with the drumming. Matt brings Got Some and MYM to the table.
    the first five albums are classics. you have to admit after yield their studio albums definitely went down hill.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

tbergs said:

vaggar99 said:

Happy New Year all!

the first five albums are classics. you have to admit after yield their studio albums definitely went down hill.
    Pfffttt Riot Act is their best album lyrically
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited January 2017
    ^^^
    RA is a great album lyrically.
    I remember sitting in my car listening to the CD as soon as I bought it on release day. It clunked along and I forced myself to like it, and only 4songs stand out to this day.
    The rest of RA is a bore.
    As for the rest of the albums after RA....well pick your poison.
    RA separated the fans from the faithful.
  • Options

^^^
    RA is a great album lyrically.
    I remember sitting in my car listening to the CD as soon as I bought it on release day. It clunked along and I forced myself to like it, and only 4songs stand out to this day.
    The rest of RA is a bore.
    As for the rest of the albums after RA....well pick your poison.
    RA separated the fans from the faithful.

hahahaa,....they used to say No Code is what separated the casual from the diehard fans. Now look at how we all dote after No Code. Art is art.
  • Options
    ^^^
    No Code fans were still listening and wanting more.
    RA brought it to a halt.
    I loved all albums until RA.
    Avocado still rules though.
  • Options

^^^
    No Code fans were still listening and wanting more.
    RA brought it to a halt.
    I loved all albums until RA.
    Avocado still rules though.

I hear ya. You get your opinion. I get mine. Yours stinks :)
  • Options
    If you look at most bands or artists albums after their initial bigger albums. They never reach that level either of sales or respect for the later albums by their fans. Doesn't mean they are bad albums. Unless they do the same album every time. or if they go full pop
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    KV4053 said:

mcgruff10 said:

tbergs said:

vaggar99 said:

Happy New Year all!

I don't feel that way. I love No Code and Yield, but Binaural is their masterpiece to me. I know I'm in the minority on that. Both No Code and Yield fizzle out near the end. Everything after Present Tense I could skip. Yield is the same after DTE, except In Hiding and ATY. I'd skip less songs on RA and Self Titled combined.
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    tbergs said:

KV4053 said:

mcgruff10 said:

tbergs said:

vaggar99 said:

Happy New Year all!

I don't feel that way. I love No Code and Yield, but Binaural is their masterpiece to me. I know I'm in the minority on that. Both No Code and Yield fizzle out near the end. Everything after Present Tense I could skip. Yield is the same after DTE, except In Hiding and ATY. I'd skip less songs on RA and Self Titled combined.
    I'm with you all the way, man. Well, I'd add Low Light onto meaningful Yield songs but Binaural was easily their most creative and diverse recording session. Just think of the album, the Lost Dogs, Drifting and Strangest Tribe, and stuff from Anything In Between. Lyrically it's their best as well. Whatever broke Ed's writers block from those session sure opened the flood gates. Between Binaural, Riot Act and much of Ukulele Songs, 2000-2002 was an awesome time for fans of PJ lyrics.
  • Options

tbergs said:

KV4053 said:

mcgruff10 said:

tbergs said:

vaggar99 said:

Happy New Year all!

I'm with you all the way, man. Well, I'd add Low Light onto meaningful Yield songs but Binaural was easily their most creative and diverse recording session. Just think of the album, the Lost Dogs, Drifting and Strangest Tribe, and stuff from Anything In Between. Lyrically it's their best as well. Whatever broke Ed's writers block from those session sure opened the flood gates. Between Binaural, Riot Act and much of Ukulele Songs, 2000-2002 was an awesome time for fans of PJ lyrics.
    We should takeover this thread and make it all about the best lyrics (and Angel won't be on anyone's best lyrics list I'm sure)
  • Options
    KV4053 said:

tbergs said:

KV4053 said:

mcgruff10 said:

tbergs said:

vaggar99 said:

Happy New Year all!

We should takeover this thread and make it all about the best lyrics (and Angel won't be on anyone's best lyrics list I'm sure)
    I was row 8 (very good fan club #) in front of stone at fenway and couldn't believe how few of the "hardcore" fans knew that song. Literally no one was singing it around me.
  • Options
    KV4053 said:

tbergs said:

KV4053 said:

mcgruff10 said:

tbergs said:

vaggar99 said:

Happy New Year all!

Thought Eddie wrote the lyrics and Dave wrote the music
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

KV4053 said:

tbergs said:

KV4053 said:

mcgruff10 said:

tbergs said:

vaggar99 said:

Happy New Year all!

I was row 8 (very good fan club #) in front of stone at fenway and couldn't believe how few of the "hardcore" fans knew that song. Literally no one was singing it around me.
    That's why the "Just A Girl" petition has me baffled. Why waste a song when there are so many better ones that don't get played enough. I understand the nostalgia, but it isn't a good song.

Anyway, I digress. Back to whining about drummers! :)
  • Options
    tbergs said:

mcgruff10 said:

KV4053 said:

tbergs said:

KV4053 said:

mcgruff10 said:

tbergs said:

vaggar99 said:

Happy New Year all!

That's why the "Just A Girl" petition has me baffled. Why waste a song when there are so many better ones that don't get played enough. I understand the nostalgia, but it isn't a good song.

Anyway, I digress. Back to whining about drummers! :)
    just a girl is a terrible song! lol people just want to be able to cross it off their list.
  • Options
    ^^^
    True
    Crossing off the list of bad songs is not good.
    No more lost dogs stuff please, or strangest tribe, or chloe dancer etc.
    Play Pearl Jam not scratched off the list stuff.
    Fatal is bad too.
  • Options
    You had me until the Fatal comment. That's a great song.

A lot of these could be addressed though if they would do an acoustic tour. I think that's the problem with some of the rare songs we want to hear, they're better suited for a more intimate atmosphere.

But back to the thread, Dave is a baby.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

You had me until the Fatal comment. That's a great song.

A lot of these could be addressed though if they would do an acoustic tour. I think that's the problem with some of the rare songs we want to hear, they're better suited for a more intimate atmosphere.

But back to the thread, Dave is a baby.

Agreed on the first comment. LOL on the second.
  • Options
    ^^^
    My bad.
    I meant Rival is a terrible song that no fan should suffer live.
    Fatal isn't bad.
    I get these two songs mixed up.
  • Options
    RIVAL!?!?! That guitar is incredible!
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    Rival is great. Anyone who doesn't agree is just ..... trolling.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
This discussion has been closed.