Options

Only 2 Drummers Get In? RnRHOF. Merged

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    I really don't understand why people can't grasp that it is out of the band's hands.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    riley540 said:

red mos said:

I wonder if every member gets a trophy even if they are not at the ceremony? Josh got in with RHCP and he really wasn't even a member at that point. But on the hall of fame page, it has all the members listed.

Yeah the youngster RHCP guitarist is probably why this is a bigger issue already this year. That guy had done practically nothing with them yet got to be inducted. What a fucking joke.

red mos said:

I wonder if every member gets a trophy even if they are not at the ceremony? Josh got in with RHCP and he really wasn't even a member at that point. But on the hall of fame page, it has all the members listed.

Yeah the youngster RHCP guitarist is probably why this is a bigger issue galready this year. That guy had done practically nothing with them yet got to be inducted. What a fucking joke.
    Josh had been in RHCP for a long time, just not always a guitarist.
    The first album he recorded with RHCP was released in August 2011, they were inducted into the HOF less than 12 months later. Sure, he toured with them for a while before that, but on record he was literally a member of the band less than a year when they got inducted. At least Robert Trujillo was in Metallica 5 or 6 years at the time they got in. Then when Kiss got in their current guitarist/drummer weren't inducted, there's no rhyme or reason and they've changed the rules/criteria so many times that seems to cater to the artists or what the HOF wants to control.
    "I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love."

Continental Arena I - 6/1/2006
    MSG II - 6/25/2008
    MSG I - 5/20/2010
    Beacon Theatre - 6/21/2011 (EV)
    Made In America Philadelphia - 9/2/2012
    Buffalo -10/12/2013
    Hartford - 10/25/2013
    Philadelphia II - 4/29/2016 (TEN show)
    MSG II - 5/2/2016
    Fenway II Boston - 8/7/2016
    Rock & Roll HOF - 4/7/2017
    Asbury Park, NJ - 9/18/2021
    MSG - 9/11/2022
    Camden - 9/14/2022
  • Options

I really don't understand why people can't grasp that it is out of the band's hands.

Hey, I wasn't clear. Of course I understand that the RRHOF makes the rules, but if the band cares they can push back, make noise, etc. HBO might have something to say if one of the inductees chooses to skip the show.

Or maybe the guys don't care. It's not a kindergarten birthday party; I guess you don't have to include everyone.
  • Options

Hey, I wasn't clear. Of course I understand that the RRHOF makes the rules, but if the band cares they can push back, make noise, etc. HBO might have something to say if one of the inductees chooses to skip the show.

Or maybe the guys don't care. It's not a kindergarten birthday party; I guess you don't have to include everyone.
    gotcha. bands have pushed back in the past to no avail. it just creates drama. and since the band and dave didn't end on good terms, I can't see a reason they'd go to bat for him after all these years. the most he'll get is a mention during the speech, if that.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,427
    Pearl Jam was huge during the Ten, Vs, Vitalogy eras. I don't remember a single person I knew then who was raving about the drummer.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    on2legs said:

Pearl Jam was huge during the Ten, Vs, Vitalogy eras. I don't remember a single person I knew then who was raving about the drummer.

I think you may have put your finger on something here.
    As far as I'm concerned Matt is the drummer and it would be very awkward having other drummers on stage or giving accolades to the past drummers that have no real influence on anyone.
    Matt can play all songs and I don't see any complaints of how he makes Pearl Jam "sound".
  • Options
    JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064

on2legs said:

I think you may have put your finger on something here.
    As far as I'm concerned Matt is the drummer and it would be very awkward having other drummers on stage or giving accolades to the past drummers that have no real influence on anyone.
    Matt can play all songs and I don't see any complaints of how he makes Pearl Jam "sound".
    NAH.... If that was the case, only 3 people would have been inducted with Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band.

The argument the Hall try to make with Kiss was that they wanted to induct the band that everyone knew and was at the height of their success. If you use the same logic with PJ, Dave A gets in.

Again, in the end there are greater problems in the world than this and in the end I don't care. But it would be nice to see the band at least look like they are attempting to get all members into the Hall. I'm more pissed off that Iron Maiden isn't in. LOL Maybe Mike can wear an Iron Maiden shirt and help them get on the ballot like Dave Grohl just helped Jane's Addiction get on the ballot.

92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
    12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
    13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
    14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
    16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2
  • Options
    ^^^
    There are greater problems in the world for sure but is it not great to talk about a menial one such as this?
    The Hall rules change.
    It's like they live in the present tense.
  • Options

^^^
    There are greater problems in the world for sure but is it not great to talk about a menial one such as this?
    The Hall rules change.
    It's like they live in the present tense.

It's a rigged system...

92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
  • Options
    on2legs said:

how many non-prog non-metal bands have, not just a drummer, but a rhythm section, that people rave about? not many, if any at all. that's beside the point, in my opinion.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

on2legs said:

how many non-prog non-metal bands have, not just a drummer, but a rhythm section, that people rave about? not many, if any at all. that's beside the point, in my opinion.
    I'm just suggesting that people are overemphasizing the importance of a drummer that 95% of the public never knew his name and who was in the band for 12% of their career.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    well, the big joke is always "what do you call a guy surrounded by 3 musicians?" "a drummer". but i still think he brought a lot to the table in terms of them being able to write and record songs that had a certain aggression to them that i can't say jack or matt could pull off. who knows. maybe matt could have. but jack couldn't. he could barely keep up playing those songs live. watch the videos on youtube. he looks like he's on a treadmill that's moving too fast. i think drummers, some drummers, should get more credit than they do.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

well, the big joke is always "what do you call a guy surrounded by 3 musicians?" "a drummer". but i still think he brought a lot to the table in terms of them being able to write and record songs that had a certain aggression to them that i can't say jack or matt could pull off. who knows. maybe matt could have. but jack couldn't. he could barely keep up playing those songs live. watch the videos on youtube. he looks like he's on a treadmill that's moving too fast. i think drummers, some drummers, should get more credit than they do.

I pretty much agree with that. I even think Dave should be in. I just don't think it's travesty that he's not.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,537
    edited October 2016
    rbrum7 said:

PJ_Soul said:

rbrum7 said:

rbrum7 said:

rbrum7 said:

jeffbr said:

rbrum7 said:

I don't think it's any surprise to anyone who actually knows the history of the band somewhat, that they don't like Dave based on the type of person he is and the way he acted towards the members of the band.

I don't want to get all political here or crush the dreams of any conservatives out there, but the band as a whole doesn't care much for conservatives, let alone get along with them.

I was waiting for this. LOL. when Ed inducted the Ramones, Joey fucking said "god bless george bush" with Ed standing right beside him. you don't get much more conservative than that.
    Big difference, Joey was an idol/icon to him. Dave was some guy who started off as a fill in for drummer and ended up staying for 2 more albums.
    and I quote:

"..but the band as a whole doesn't care much for conservatives, let alone get along with them".
    Yes, doesn't 'care MUCH'. If you want to say a statement is a blanket statement and covers all instances, then we aren't going to agree on anything.

Ok, you have Joey Ramone to throw out there. Everyone is aware of that. What else can you come up with?
    nothing. I don't know any of their friends. My point is I think it would be weird for anyone, musician or not, to surround themselves with only others who share the same particular political leanings.
    I agree 100% with you on that one. I just know he rubbed them the wrong way, partly because of his views and that's well documented. I myself am Liberal and surround myself with all different view points.
    I have never had the impression that the band had issues with Dave simply because of his politics. Seems to me they had problems with his personality more than anything else. When you like someone, their politics don't matter much. But when you don't like someone and can't get along with them, their politics that you don't like are just another nail in the coffin.
    You obviously have no idea what Glorified G was written about.
    Yes I do. I know pretty much everything about this band. I am saying if they had liked his personality, then just his politics wouldn't have made them fire him. How does this make you think I don't understand Glorified G? Had Dave A been a super awesome guy who the band liked for a several reasons, Eddie probably would have dealt with his gun ownership better. It's pretty safe to assume that Eddie has been friends with people over the years who had a gun or two.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,537

rbrum7 said:

PJ_Soul said:

rbrum7 said:

rbrum7 said:

rbrum7 said:

jeffbr said:

rbrum7 said:

I don't think it's any surprise to anyone who actually knows the history of the band somewhat, that they don't like Dave based on the type of person he is and the way he acted towards the members of the band.

I don't want to get all political here or crush the dreams of any conservatives out there, but the band as a whole doesn't care much for conservatives, let alone get along with them.

I was waiting for this. LOL. when Ed inducted the Ramones, Joey fucking said "god bless george bush" with Ed standing right beside him. you don't get much more conservative than that.
    Big difference, Joey was an idol/icon to him. Dave was some guy who started off as a fill in for drummer and ended up staying for 2 more albums.
    and I quote:

"..but the band as a whole doesn't care much for conservatives, let alone get along with them".
    Yes, doesn't 'care MUCH'. If you want to say a statement is a blanket statement and covers all instances, then we aren't going to agree on anything.

Ok, you have Joey Ramone to throw out there. Everyone is aware of that. What else can you come up with?
    nothing. I don't know any of their friends. My point is I think it would be weird for anyone, musician or not, to surround themselves with only others who share the same particular political leanings.
    I agree 100% with you on that one. I just know he rubbed them the wrong way, partly because of his views and that's well documented. I myself am Liberal and surround myself with all different view points.
    I have never had the impression that the band had issues with Dave simply because of his politics. Seems to me they had problems with his personality more than anything else. When you like someone, their politics don't matter much. But when you don't like someone and can't get along with them, their politics that you don't like are just another nail in the coffin.
    pretty sure PJ_Soul knows.

his departure was not just about the two guns he owned. it was his interest in celebrity, the posh lifestyle, being on magazine covers, etc. , and his personality just didn't mesh with Jeff and Ed. simplifying it to just glorified g is silly.
    Yeah, what HGD said.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    NinetytworulesNinetytworules Boston Posts: 454
    PJ_Soul said:

rbrum7 said:

PJ_Soul said:

rbrum7 said:

rbrum7 said:

rbrum7 said:

jeffbr said:

rbrum7 said:

and I quote:

Yes I do. I know pretty much everything about this band. I am saying if they had liked his personality, then just his politics wouldn't have made them fire him. How does this make you think I don't understand Glorified G? Had Dave A been a super awesome guy who the band liked for a several reasons, Eddie probably would have dealt with his gun ownership better. It's pretty safe to assume that Eddie has been friends with people over the years who had a gun or two.
    He's friends with Sean Penn. He was arrested with a gun.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

rbrum7 said:

PJ_Soul said:

rbrum7 said:

rbrum7 said:

rbrum7 said:

jeffbr said:

rbrum7 said:

and I quote:

Yes I do. I know pretty much everything about this band.
    Are you serious?
    I thought I knew it all.
    Glorified G was a great send off.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    PJ_Soul said:

rbrum7 said:

PJ_Soul said:

rbrum7 said:

rbrum7 said:

rbrum7 said:

jeffbr said:

rbrum7 said:

and I quote:

Ok ms. smartie pants, can you answer the burning question that everyone wants to know:
    Did ed color his hair black in 1998? And if so what product did he use? I anxiously await your answer Alli.
    http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/247046/did-eddie-color-his-hair-black-in-1998/p1
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,774
    mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

rbrum7 said:

PJ_Soul said:

rbrum7 said:

rbrum7 said:

rbrum7 said:

jeffbr said:

rbrum7 said:

and I quote:

Ok ms. smartie pants, can you answer the burning question that everyone wants to know:
    Did ed color his hair black in 1998? And if so what product did he use? I anxiously await your answer Alli.
    http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/247046/did-eddie-color-his-hair-black-in-1998/p1
    Finally, a real issue.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    nicknyr15 said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

rbrum7 said:

PJ_Soul said:

rbrum7 said:

rbrum7 said:

rbrum7 said:

jeffbr said:

rbrum7 said:

and I quote:

Finally, a real issue.
    I think the real question is: should ed dye his hair for the rock n roll hall of fame induction ceremony?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,006
    edited October 2016
    Saw this. Maybe posted. From Dave A.
    AM REQUESTING THAT THE MEDIA PLEASE REFRAIN FROM ATTEMPTING TO MAKE A negative STORY OUT OF THIS. It is a drag that these 'writers' are taking FACEBOOK comments out of context and using them to create a story that doesn't exist.
    I AM NOT SLAMMING THE HALL OF FAME OR PEARL JAM. I understand that there may be some flaws inherent to the balloting process. I reacted emotionally, and my reaction was based on a lack of understanding. I have spoken to friends and peers and I am resolved to wait patiently to watch and see how it works out. I am not looking to ruffle any feathers. I am not angry with the RRHOF or PEARL JAM.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    Honestly the RNR HOF has been joke for years on end, so this BS rule shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. Does it really matter what drummer besides Matt Cameron gets inducted with the band? We all know the band has always given props to Dave K-Jack over the years. If it was up to the band, I'm sure they'd want all the drummers to be inducted with them.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 946
    I dont really think the hall of fame thing means anything. the only reason I'm interested is because i've liked Eddies past speeches for the ramones and REM
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,867
    I love Jackie. But seriously if you only are on two albums of a ten record span do you. Really deserve to be in? MFC and DK are the right guys.
  • Options
    hrd2imgn said:

I love Jackie. But seriously if you only are on two albums of a ten record span do you. Really deserve to be in? MFC and DK are the right guys.

But Dave K was only on one album so by your logic, he shouldn't get in.

92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,263
    FYI:

Dave Krusen's discography with PJ:

1) Ten (1991) - all tracks
    2) In Defense Of Animals (1993) - "Porch"
    3) Rock: Train Kept a Rollin' & Sony Music 100 Years: Soundtrack for a Century (1999) - "Black"
    4) Lost Dogs (2003) - "Alone", "Hold On", "Yellow Ledbetter", "Wash" & "Brother"
    5) Rearviewmirror (2004) - "Once", "Alive", "Jeremy", "Black" & "Yellow Ledbetter"
    6) Ten (Reissue) (2009) - all tracks
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    JB128716 said:

hrd2imgn said:

But Dave K was only on one album so by your logic, he shouldn't get in.

I think the Rock Hall might be thinking that despite playing on the least amount of albums, Krusen's drumming with Pearl Jam has been heard more than any other dummer's. Just from a radio-play standpoint, I'd wager a guess that Even Flow, Alive, Jeremy, and Yellow Ledbetter combined have been spun on the radio more than any songs that the entire catalog of songs that Dave A, Jack, or Matt have drummed on.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,175
    Flagg said:

It should be Dave, Jack and Matt and that's it for drummers. You could make an argument against Jack I guess. Krusen was only in the band for about 7 months or so and bailed out after 10 was recorded. 7 months of time with a band that has been around for 25 years. His work on 10 wasn't necessarily unique or groundbreaking. Honestly, anyone could have been drumming on that record and it still would have been a hit. Krusen made no appreciable contribution to what Pearl Jam would eventually become.

This. Hall of Fame for 7 months of work? Insane.

Should be Dave Jack and Matt. Now they all don't have to hang out on stage together but they should all be put in.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,175
    edited November 2016
    Edit: mentioned later in the thread
    Post edited by OceansJenny on
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,867
    lets just get the guys in first
This discussion has been closed.