Options

Pearl Jam 2017 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame DVD & Blu-ray Release

Comments

• Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited May 2017
    ceska said:

RYME said:

Sorry, this isn't The Rap & Cuss hall of fame. .... I think those dudes showed no class.

Steve Perry: "Are you fucking shitting me? Any singer would give his ass for that shit." Class, or no class?
    Sorry, I was talking about the RAP portion of the show. I say rap needs it's own hall of fame. I totally enjoyed the rest of it. County music respectfully has their own. I mean you wouldn't induct George Straight or George Jones into the rock and roll hall of fame would you? That's all I was saying.
    Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,076
    RYME said:

ceska said:

RYME said:

Sorry, this isn't The Rap & Cuss hall of fame. .... I think those dudes showed no class.

Steve Perry: "Are you fucking shitting me? Any singer would give his ass for that shit." Class, or no class?
    Sorry, I was talking about the RAP portion of the show. I say rap needs it's own hall of fame. I totally enjoyed the rest of it. County music respectfully has their own. I mean you wouldn't induct George Straight or George Jones into the rock and roll hall of fame would you? That's all I was saying.
    You actually did say more than that. If your original statement was only and specifically outlined as above, your point might have some merit. But you specifically stated "The Rap & Cuss hall of fame. .... I think those dudes showed no class. " A pretty odd thing to say, at the very least.
  • Options
    ceska said:

RYME said:

ceska said:

RYME said:

You actually did say more than that. If your original statement was only and specifically outlined as above, your point might have some merit. But you specifically stated "The Rap & Cuss hall of fame. .... I think those dudes showed no class. " A pretty odd thing to say, at the very least.
    We'll I am sorry. I don't dislike all rap. I actually have a few rap CD's in my collection. Public Enemy, EPMD, 3RD BASS, LL COOL J ( Mamma Said knock you out. lol), Ice Cube,. Tribe Called Quest. I thought the segment for Tupac Shakur wasn't done very well. Maby it's that type of rap that I don't like. Put it that way. Sorry for the oddnes. I called them dudes because I don't know their names except for Snoop Dogg of course and Alicia Keys. But yeah rap & cuss, that's what they did for 5 minutes. I don't mind an f bomb now and then it can really drive a point home during a song, but when that's all it is, I think that's classless.
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    RYME said:

ceska said:

RYME said:

ceska said:

RYME said:

We'll I am sorry. I don't dislike all rap. I actually have a few rap CD's in my collection. Public Enemy, EPMD, 3RD BASS, LL COOL J ( Mamma Said knock you out. lol), Ice Cube,. Tribe Called Quest. I thought the segment for Tupac Shakur wasn't done very well. Maby it's that type of rap that I don't like. Put it that way. Sorry for the oddnes. I called them dudes because I don't know their names except for Snoop Dogg of course and Alicia Keys. But yeah rap & cuss, that's what they did for 5 minutes. I don't mind an f bomb now and then it can really drive a point home during a song, but when that's all it is, I think that's classless.
    A Rap Hall of Fame would be fine, but you are totally and entirely missing the point of the Rock Hall of Fame. They induct bands that have had a significant impact on rock music, regardless of the genre of the band. Nile Rogers and Chic aren't "rock" either, nor technically are Blues or Bluegrass music. But Blues, Soul, and Bluegrass and some country are the ROOTS of rock and roll, and then as rock evolved there are other genres (rap being the major new one) that also shaped/impacted rock.

THAT is why Grandmaster Flash, Run DMC, Beastie Boys, and Tupac are in the Rock Hall of Fame. Not because their music is rock, but because their music has had an impact on rock. This is a point that is MISunderstood year after year after year.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,725
    JH6056 said:

RYME said:

ceska said:

RYME said:

ceska said:

RYME said:

A Rap Hall of Fame would be fine, but you are totally and entirely missing the point of the Rock Hall of Fame. They induct bands that have had a significant impact on rock music, regardless of the genre of the band. Nile Rogers and Chic aren't "rock" either, nor technically are Blues or Bluegrass music. But Blues, Soul, and Bluegrass and some country are the ROOTS of rock and roll, and then as rock evolved there are other genres (rap being the major new one) that also shaped/impacted rock.

THAT is why Grandmaster Flash, Run DMC, Beastie Boys, and Tupac are in the Rock Hall of Fame. Not because their music is rock, but because their music has had an impact on rock. This is a point that is MISunderstood year after year after year.
    I'll give you Flash, DMC, and the Beasties, but what impact did Tupac have on rock?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,192
    edited May 2017
    JH6056 said:

RYME said:

ceska said:

RYME said:

ceska said:

RYME said:

JH6056 said:

RYME said:

ceska said:

RYME said:

ceska said:

RYME said:

id' be embarrassed to be influenced by Tupac or Snoop Dogg. while snoop may be a cool cat and a funny dude i don't see much redeeming quality to what he raps about but then again i'm a mid 40s white suburban dude so hard to blame me for that.
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    JH6056 said:

RYME said:

ceska said:

RYME said:

ceska said:

RYME said:

Point well taken. I just don't get or understand the mother fuck mother fuck fuck mother fuckers type of rap. I do like some of the old school rap that has poetry and rhyming with a few f bombs here and there that's fine and okay, but that performance during the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, all I heard was motherfuck 25 times. I don't see the art in that at all, or what influence that has on rock and roll.
    That's what I was referring to as classless. Now Run DMC, I like, they did that tune with Aerosmith and I get it why they are in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.
    Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Thought the show was great! Come here to find not much but complaints about rap and editing.

1) It's a 6+ hour event cut down into a 3 hour television show. Of course shit is gonna be edited. Heavily at that.
    2) We're all here because we love Pearl Jam, but this was not a night for only Pearl Jam. Respect the other artists who were being celebrated. I personally felt the show still favored PJ over the other bands, but of course people here aren't satsified.
    3) Rap is music, has its roots in blues, jazz, dance, & rock. And Tupac is the greatest ever.
  • Options
    wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    I had no problem with the edits of the speeches but editing the last song was complete bullshit. HBO really couldn't go over by 5 minutes?

NYPJ
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,725
    wall232 said:

I had no problem with the edits of the speeches but editing the last song was complete bullshit. HBO really couldn't go over by 5 minutes?

It would be great if HBO put up the complete RITW performance, untouched, on their website.

If not it would be wonderful if they released the complete, edit free, Pearl Jam R&RHOF Ceremony on Blu-ray then. *crossing fingers
  • Options
    JP218404JP218404 NJ Posts: 1,374

Thought the show was great! Come here to find not much but complaints about rap and editing.

1) It's a 6+ hour event cut down into a 3 hour television show. Of course shit is gonna be edited. Heavily at that.
    2) We're all here because we love Pearl Jam, but this was not a night for only Pearl Jam. Respect the other artists who were being celebrated. I personally felt the show still favored PJ over the other bands, but of course people here aren't satsified.
    3) Rap is music, has its roots in blues, jazz, dance, & rock. And Tupac is the greatest ever.

I would have liked to re-visit the entire Rick Wakeman speech as well
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,103
    edited May 2017
    I finally watched it. I thought Snoop Dogg had the best induction speech. He start off a bit weak, but when it started to get personal, his speech really came to life. He did a really good job. I was never into the Hip Hop scene, so I didn't much about it. It's 20 years later and I'm feeling bad for Snoop Dogg losing one of his best friends.

The PJ induction was pretty good. Letterman's speech was ok. Dave Krusen really tried to stay out of the spotlight... lol. It was cool seeing him drum and seeing jack drum a bit on RiTFW. The crowd definitely had PJ bias :)

It would of been cool to see an unedited proshot copy one day. It's too bad that no hackers were able to grab the raw satellite feed or something :)

Edit: In regards to the RRoH inducting hip hop bands. I'm on the fence. I agree it's the "Rock" hall of fame, why induct other genres? On the other hand rock's last big explosion was in the 90's. Hip Hop kind of took the torch in the mid/later 90's as we got the clones of the PJ clones. If they don't induct other genres, they might run out of headliners to induct.
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Zod said:

Edit: In regards to the RRoH inducting hip hop bands. I'm on the fence. I agree it's the "Rock" hall of fame, why induct other genres? On the other hand rock's last big explosion was in the 90's. Hip Hop kind of took the torch in the mid/later 90's as we got the clones of the PJ clones. If they don't induct other genres, they might run out of headliners to induct.

They should really just change it to the "Music Hall of Fame". There's been lots of hate on many social media pages since the broadcast because a rap artist was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Many agree & many don't agree rap shouldn't be included in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

Well to those who complain, there's a Hip Hop Hall of Fame. http://hiphophof.tv/ . Maybe you should push a vote & include Slayer into the Hip Hop Hall of Fame, being they released this amazing track with Ice T.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbKcL7q8RJU

Slayer has been snubbed 8 times from the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Hip Hop Hall of Fame should totally induct Slayer this year.

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Zod said:

I finally watched it. I thought Snoop Dogg had the best induction speech. He start off a bit weak, but when it started to get personal, his speech really came to life. He did a really good job. I was never into the Hip Hop scene, so I didn't much about it. It's 20 years later and I'm feeling bad for Snoop Dogg losing one of his best friends.

The PJ induction was pretty good. Letterman's speech was ok. Dave Krusen really tried to stay out of the spotlight... lol. It was cool seeing him drum and seeing jack drum a bit on RiTFW. The crowd definitely had PJ bias :)

It would of been cool to see an unedited proshot copy one day. It's too bad that no hackers were able to grab the raw satellite feed or something :)

I thought Snoop's speech was possibly the highlight of the night. PJ's set was awesome too... its rare that they induct bands who are still on (or near the) top of their game.

As far as swearing... Part of Rock is expression. If its too loud, you're too old.

It would be cool if the "Hall of Fame" would be formatted a bit differently. Inducting that many acts every year drains the well pretty quickly, and you get strange inductees. Also, you get a 6 hour 'show' in which most inductees are kind of drowned out by one another. Slow down the inductions, make it more special. Have a bigger "set" for each perhaps, along with special guests. Have a more in-depth "behind the music" style introduction. Less act getting in, would add a lot of quality to both the honor as well as the 'show'.
    I dont mind hip-hop/rap as part of it, because, generally, I am a fan of the pre-2000-ish era of this. Rock and Rap share common grandparents. Maybe create a "wing" of it?
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,216
    MayDay10 said:

Zod said:

I thought Snoop's speech was possibly the highlight of the night. PJ's set was awesome too... its rare that they induct bands who are still on (or near the) top of their game.

As far as swearing... Part of Rock is expression. If its too loud, you're too old.

It would be cool if the "Hall of Fame" would be formatted a bit differently. Inducting that many acts every year drains the well pretty quickly, and you get strange inductees. Also, you get a 6 hour 'show' in which most inductees are kind of drowned out by one another. Slow down the inductions, make it more special. Have a bigger "set" for each perhaps, along with special guests. Have a more in-depth "behind the music" style introduction. Less act getting in, would add a lot of quality to both the honor as well as the 'show'.
    I dont mind hip-hop/rap as part of it, because, generally, I am a fan of the pre-2000-ish era of this. Rock and Rap share common grandparents. Maybe create a "wing" of it?
    I was thinking the same thing with the number of inductees. No need to rush so many through every year. Three artists/groups every year with an honorary tribute to a late great would be perfect. As for the rap or other musics genres, I think inducting those with mass influence as an honoree would be fitting. Tupac was a baffling selection to me merely because I didn't/don't see his influence to rock. Great rap artist and some of the best music of the 90's, but I'm missing the impact there as opposed to some of the previously mentioned cross genre artists.

It's unfortunate and ludicrous that they have to clip performances of a music hall of fame induction because they don't have enough time. That's like the TV network cutting the game because it's past the allotted time slot it was meant to fit in. Figure out how to let people see the event! This is a pre-recorded show and not even live.

This is like flashbacks to that forever missing video/audio of PJ playing out Letterman with Leaving Here back in '96 :anguished: . Still disappointed to this day that the video hasn't surfaced. Anyway, I digress...
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    StixumStixum Chicago, IL Posts: 32
    edited May 2017
    JH6056 said:

^^^this^^^

Ice Cube addressed this last year; I think he's spot on:
    "You goddamn right we rock and roll. Rock and roll is not an instrument, rock and roll is not even a style of music. Rock and roll is a spirit. It’s a spirit. It’s been going since the blues, jazz, bebop, soul, R&B, rock and roll, heavy metal, punk rock, and yes, hip-hop. And what connects us all is that spirit. That’s what connects us all, that spirit. Rock and roll is not conforming to the people who came before you, but creating your own path in music and in life.”

I was there and loved Tupac's segment, I think it fit the evening perfectly.
    Post edited by Stixum on
    2009 - Chicago
    2010 - NY 2
    2012 - Music Midtown
    2013 - Charlotte, LA 1, LA 2, Wrigley
    2014 - St Louis, ACL Fest 2
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Columbia, Ottawa, Toronto, Fenway 1, Fenway 2, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2, San Fran 2 (TOTD), LA (TOTD)
    2017 - Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
    2018 - London 1, London 2, Padova, Seattle 2, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2021 - Ohana 1
    2022 - Las Vegas, Nashville, St. Louis
    2023 - St. Paul 1, St. Paul 2, Chicago 1, Chicago 2, Noblesville
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    The Cactus Cas/Ette by 3rd Bass is the worst rap album ever.
    Just ask my man Sam Sever.

LL Cool J should have gone in before Tupac. Davy D, too.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    Stixum said:

I was there too...
    and completely agree with you!!
    Absolutely loved Snoop Dogg's induction speech...
    and thought Dhani Harrison was GREAT too!!
    This isn't going to be a popular comment,
    but I think they could've edited more of Ed's speech.
    Jeff won the night for me with his
    "This is for every small town kid who has a dream" line!!
    I really didn't need to see all of yet another all-star version of Rockin' In The Free World either...
    especially since Uncle Neil wasn't there!!

'96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    tweedyfanjentweedyfanjen Posts: 881
    derbydave said:

Stixum said:

I was there too...
    I really didn't need to see all of yet another all-star version of Rockin' In The Free World either...

Agreed on Dhani Harrison. He was completely charming. And I had totally forgotten about the friendship between his dad and Jeff Lynne so I enjoyed the ELO video clips.
    I'm through with screaming
  • Options
    green_girlgreen_girl Posts: 931
    derbydave said:

Stixum said:

I was there too...

It's like we share a brain... I agree with so much of what you're saying, tweedy.

Loved Snoop's speech. It was funny and touching. I had no idea he and Tupac were so close. I wasn't a huge Tupac fan, except for the radio hits, and especially When My Homie Calls. The musical tribute was interesting and creative in featuring Alicia Keys.

Maybe this is due to the editing, but Letterman's speech was too Ed-centric for me. I mean, there are other band members being inducted. Acknowledge them.

And I don't care if the RRHOF runs out of inductees; the rock purists can sit back and watch it fizzle out.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    derbydave said:

Stixum said:

I was there too...

Preach on brother Dave! Amen!
  • Options
    lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,734

Finally got around to watching bits of it last night - though I basically fast-forwarded through most if it just to watch pieces of a couple performances.

Joan Baez - can't get enough of her. Such a great human being. Yes, Journey, all great.
    Pearl Jam - Killed it. Shit. When's the next tour?!?!?!?!

I'll sit down this weekend and watch everything.
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• Options
    2017 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Pearl Jam Complete Induction Speech
    from Examination / Blue Leach

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,310
    I know most of you don't care. But I don't like that it helped Nirvana's sales more than our guys. PJ got a bump. But then I see Nirvana above them. 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,504
    My PVR & cable guide didn't cooperate well during the original broadcast and the recording stopped after 2 hours. Glad to be recording the entire 3 hours and 5 minutes again Sunday morning at 6am. Showed our 2 year old Son footage this evening of Sad from the '16 Quebec City show and he totally rocked out. That put a smile on my face. 
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,419
    If only someone from the band took the time to clear up the Sun or Star thing in their speech.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
  • Options
    JedJed New York City Posts: 1,138
    on2legs said:
    If only someone from the band took the time to clear up the Sun or Star thing in their speech.
    What are you referring to?
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,192
    Jed said:
    on2legs said:
    What are you referring to?
    i believe he is referring to....
    "I know someday you'll be a STAR in somebody else's sky but why why why can't it be can't it beeeee mineeeee ahah ah"

vs.

"I know someday you'll be the SUN in somebody else's sky but why why why can't it be can't it beeeee mineeeee ahah ah"
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,310
    The Rock Hall posted the 1:53 of the RITFW performance
    I miss igotid88