Options

Vedder's Change of Attitude

SaveHextallSaveHextall Westchester, NY Posts: 7
When you hear shows from earlier on in the bands career, Eddie always seems angry/annoyed with this stage banter and just in general. He was more of the "tortured artist" you see with some rock stars. Nowadays you can see he's having the time of his life, especially the last 2-3 years.

My question is...what changed that made his outlook and attitude improve? Was there a specific year or time when this change was really noticeable?
9-29-96 - Downing Stadium - Randall's Island, NY
6-20-08 - Susquehanna Bank Arena - Camden, NJ
10-31-09 - The Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA
5-20-10 - Madison Square Garden - New York, NY
5-21-10 - Madison Square Garden - New York, NY
10-19-13 - Barclays Center - Brooklyn, NY
9-26-15 - Global Citizen Festival - Central Park - New York, NY
8-5-16 - Fenway Park, Boston, MA
11-7-16 - Madison Square Garden - New York, NY (Temple Of The Dog)

Comments

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Simple mathematics: As years of age increase, fucks given decrease.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Family Man
  • Options
    NoloadNoload Monticello, Georgia Posts: 1,630
    Kids
    www.twitter.com/robert_harbin
  • Options
    AceCoolAceCool Texas Posts: 455
    Yeah, it's easier to let shit slide as one mellows with age.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,189
    happy pills?

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,110
    edited October 2016
    If you're dream was to be a rock n' roll star, be in a band that could fill arenas, play until your as old as the stones, meet (and play with) most of the musicians that were most influential to you, have a family, etc..... At some point you've got to turn around and think to yourself... holy shit.. I'm living the Dream. How angry could he be after the way his life has turned out? lol.
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    dankind said:

Dude, I love it. :hug:
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,748
    Kids
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,205
    dankind said:

• Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    I thought it was going to say look at them again! :rofl:
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,885
    I really dig the speech he gave during "Sirens" on night two of Fenway. It's corny, but it seems heartfelt and it is true. It does all come down to age and figuring out what it really important in life. Watching other people make mistakes, watching other people die, and/or wasting their lives. You get to that point when you say, "I'm never going back again."
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Would you just look at it! Just look at that! Look at them! :rofl:
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,284
    Family kids all play a big part of his changing ways which by the way are good changes , I like where this band is these days ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    He's living the dream and eating vegan ice cream.......
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    Zod said:

If you're dream was to be a rock n' roll star, be in a band that could fill arenas, play until your as old as the stones, meet (and play with) most of the musicians that were most influential to you, have a family, etc..... At some point you've got to turn around and think to yourself... holy shit.. I'm living the Dream. How angry could he be after the way his life has turned out? lol.

• Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    pjalive21 said:

Zod said:

I really dig the speech he gave during "Sirens" on night two of Fenway. It's corny, but it seems heartfelt and it is true. It does all come down to age and figuring out what it really important in life. Watching other people make mistakes, watching other people die, and/or wasting their lives. You get to that point when you say, "I'm never going back again."

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,539
    Better meds?
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,844
    edited October 2016
    kids change everything. plus it seems like he has a pretty solid marriage.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,817
    edited October 2016
    If you don't eventually figure out that rage gone unchecked for too long will burn you out, it will, well, burn you out. But also, kids had a massively profound effect on me.
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited October 2016
    Also, he really seems to have immersed himself into the whole Cubs fanboy lifestyle in recent years. That kind of obsession can kind of overshadow other concerns, and certainly increase a sense of contentment, right everyone? =);)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Loads and loads of money, fame and family goes a long way.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,817
    edited October 2016
    Pretty sure he's quite upfront about nit caring about loads and loads of money. Only narcissists and shallow folk care about that. And while fame obviously has its perks (meeting heroes, etc), it was pretty hellish for him for a long time. I think it was actually feeding his angst at one point.
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210

Pretty sure he's quite upfront about nit caring about loads and loads of money. Only narcissists and shallow folk care about that. And while fame obviously has its perks (meeting heroes, etc), it was pretty hellish for him for a long time. I think it was actually feeding his angst at one point.

He may not care but it certainly helps a lot of things
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013

I would really like to hear what he has to say about some things/songs, to make you think about things you may not have thought about before...like I just barely heard the story about Love Boat Captain.
    Alas, I'm usually stuck sitting next to drunk a-holes that yell, "Shut up and play Black!"
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,009
    It's simple: He's happy.
  • Options
    pearldavidsonpearldavidson PA Posts: 1,356
    dankind said:

lol nice
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,539
    edited October 2016

Bummer
    Pearl Jam was better when Ed was angry and there were mosh pits and tickets were cheap and they told TicketMaster to go fuck themselves.
    Plus it was easier to get merch!
    :anguished:
  • Options
    Maybe it's because the band has grown up with their fans and have changed just like them.
  • Options
    3days3days Posts: 1,151
    I read this quote from him a few years back that was something like, "at some point you've just earned the right to be happy". I'm happy he's found that.
  • Options
    RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,009

Bummer
    Pearl Jam was better when Ed was angry and there were mosh pits and tickets were cheap and they told TicketMaster to go fuck themselves.
    Plus it was easier to get merch!
    :anguished:
    You're joking right? Because otherwise that's an awfully selfish sounding post.