Green Boston Hat - Dumb Question

I bought a setlist shirt on the 8/8 (whatta show that was!), but I balked on getting a cap. Since it's in the store now, can a hat owner tell me if it's a full-on flat bill style? Can I bend the bill, so it's not in the New Era trend style (and still look good)?

Comments

• PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,872
    i've only tried to do the 2016 PEARL JAM X NEW ERA BOSTON REDSOX CAP - not the green one yet and i've been failing - bill bends but the crown stays high

might try to wash it to soften the points

• AceCoolAceCool Texas Posts: 455
    These flat billed high crown hats are kind of a bitch to get right. They tend to look like a combination of urban baller and train driver. There was a dude who posted a video on here (sorry, I couldn't find it) of his method of breaking them in. Basically he just uses a hair dryer to melt down the inner framework of the cap to make it easier to mold around the head. Be careful of the metal button on top heating up when you fist put it on. Put a piece of tape on it.
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    What I do:
    Wet the hat completely, so its soaked.
    Take a dryer to the inner band that goes around the perimeter of the hat. Some parts you will have to lift up the inside material to get to the band with the dryer. Dont get too close with it that it melts but get it real hot all the way around.
    Then put it on your head, while wet, so that it molds to your head.
    Then you can wet and shape the brim afterward to how you like it.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Thank you, all! I may do the old wash in the dishwasher, not that it's a way to do anything but clean a hat. Maybe just a soak like above. I dunno.

I've come around to respect the flat bill-new era style, but my dome is too narrow/skinny for it to look good. Just looks big on me.
  • fionicfionic Posts: 26
    I don't think the snap-back caps are new era, at least. Seem to be normal baseball caps.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,387
    Do people not realize most, if not all flat brims can be curled?

I get the whole 'high crown' complaint - I can't stand the big boxy look either, but I don't think I've ever had a problem putting a good curl on my hat brims.

Side note:
    Did anyone here get either of the PJ hats from the GCF in NY last year? I got one of each...... I have yet to break in my Mets style, but the other one broke in incredibly well. I was surprised at how comfortably it fit my big head (I wear a 7-5/8" New Era on field hat), especially being a snap back. I hope my green Boston hat breaks in half as well.
  • SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,993
    What is with the boxy look of hats these days? Boxy hats look goofy. Nobody looks good in hats like that. The Cubs pj had would have been 10 x better without the boxy look. As said above, you can bend the bill, so thats a non issue.
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    Sarava said:

What is with the boxy look of hats these days? Boxy hats look goofy. Nobody looks good in hats like that. The Cubs pj had would have been 10 x better without the boxy look. As said above, you can bend the bill, so thats a non issue.

All MLB teams wear the New Era hats. They dont look bad at all.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • AceCoolAceCool Texas Posts: 455
    Drake, the ones worn by MLB teams are not the high crown boxy types that are so favored by the hip hop youth culture of today. New Era makes different styles.
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    AceCool said:

Drake, the ones worn by MLB teams are not the high crown boxy types that are so favored by the hip hop youth culture of today. New Era makes different styles.

You are right. Didnt read before posting, if the snapback ones are what is in question then yes those suck and have higher cap usually
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016