Hipsters and Young Folk

Comments

• hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217

^^^^ Yess!! For some reason, this immediately makes me think of the "Fat Guy in a Little Coat" scene from Tommy Boy. I'd post it if I knew how to post videos, or pictures for that matter. Where's a damn hipster when I need one??

Thanks...hipster
  • ^^^^ Yess!! For some reason, this immediately makes me think of the "Fat Guy in a Little Coat" scene from Tommy Boy. I'd post it if I knew how to post videos, or pictures for that matter. Where's a damn hipster when I need one??

Thanks...hipster
    Don't call me hipster I work for a living :wink:
    No problem.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I have noticed that older gentleman hate on the hipster look much more than ladies do...
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    everytime i see a guy wearing a man bun i want to say "Hey manbun" like in impractical joker when q calls that one guy "mustache" :lol:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • AceCoolAceCool Texas Posts: 455
    Manbuns are exceedingly awful. One of my best pals has taken to sporting one of those abominations and I feel obligated to point out to him how much of a douche he looks like every time I see him.
  • AceCoolAceCool Texas Posts: 455
    Wobbie said:

Who's fucking idea was it to make skinny jeans for men?

and what's the deal with skinny suits? they look too small to me.

Ha! I had never seen this before I read this thread and then this commercial came on tv while I was typing out my previous post.

This is the European look that has become very much in style. Obviously it can only be pulled off by thin dudes. Oh, btw, skinny jeans on dudes (especially the hip hugger kind) are fucking lame.
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited October 2016
    This was an entertaining thread :) man buns hmm can look good on some sporty types I guess. But I don't like greasy looking guys.
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    Styles are fine but even more, I admire someone with enough nerve to be really different:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I'm not sure that being (really or otherwise) different necessarily takes nerve or balls or what have you.

Just be, in your own version of normality.

Come as you are - and maybe, hopefully? - those whose paths you cross will accept you as such.

Even better, we will accept ourselves as such.
    Agreed! Nothing beats being who you are. As it is, I push the envelope in the bookstore a bit wearing my monkey wrench t-shirt and some the more outlandish band t-shirts. And I went to work in drag once at the college bookstore I worked in. The manager was gay- he thought it was fabulous. But I must say, I was no prettier than these fellas:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    :rofl:
    Spock as a pre-Hipster's hipster.
    Love the concept, Brian. Funny stuff.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818

And shove that man bun up your ass!

Seriously, that is the worst fashion trend since crocs. Easy way to spot a douchebag.

touche!

:smiley:

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    brianlux said:

Did Worf ever sport a manbun?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • I have a coworker in his 50's that sports a man bun. No. Just, no.
    I'm through with screaming

I have a coworker in his 50's that sports a man bun. No. Just, no.

Ageist!

:lol:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • dankind said:

I have a coworker in his 50's that sports a man bun. No. Just, no.

Ageist!

:lol:
    Hey, I'm in my 40's so I feel ok saying that. :lol: Over the past couple of years, I've made a game out of spotting man buns at shows. Wonder if we'll see one at TOTD?!
    I'm through with screaming
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Man Bun Hairstyle - Looks like an official guide!

The only guy who successfully pulls it off is Clarence Greenwood aka Citizen Cope, who has been rocking the look probably since before our current crop of hipsters were able to grow hair on their heads (let alone anywhere else).
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    dankind said:

brianlux said:

He is not a merry man.

Hobbes said:

dankind said:

brianlux said:

He is not a merry man.

Forgot about that holodeck filler episode.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    Man buns actually looks a bit feminine
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited October 2016
    I don't care if someone looks like a hipster... just don't act like a douche bag hipster and I'm cool with whatever outfit and hairdo a guy's comfortable with! ... I am not a fan of the hipster beards though, I must admit. I find big bushy beards unsanitary (sometimes they really are, and sometimes not... but either way, it's still the impression they give me), so they gross me out a little bit. But hey, at the end of the day it's none of my business. Another thing I don't like are those spacers in the earlobes. I don't dislike them because of how they actually look (unless they are comically large). It's the fact that their earlobes are permanently destroyed in many cases that bothers me. Getting lobes fixed after using spacers is now the fastest growing plastic surgery procedure in North America. Just don't do it kids!! You'll regret it! ;)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    PJ_Soul said:

I don't care if someone looks like a hipster... just don't act like a douche bag hipster and I'm cool with whatever outfit and hairdo a guy's comfortable with! ... I am not a fan of the hipster beards though, I must admit. I find big bushy beards unsanitary (sometimes they really are, and sometimes not... but either way, it's still the impression they give me), so they gross me out a little bit. But hey, at the end of the day it's none of my business. Another thing I don't like are those spacers in the earlobes. I don't dislike them because of how they actually look (unless they are comically large). It's the fact that their earlobes are permanently destroyed in many cases that bothers me. Getting lobes fixed after using spacers is now the fastest growing plastic surgery procedure in North America. Just don't do it kids!! You'll regret it! ;)

im not a fan of the big huge plates in the ears either. i can't wait till they start putting plates in their lips
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce

everytime i see a guy wearing a man bun i want to say "Hey manbun" like in impractical joker when q calls that one guy "mustache" :lol:

comical guys those jokers. "hey manbun" could replace "mustache"

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited October 2016
    chadwick said:

PJ_Soul said:

im not a fan of the big huge plates in the ears either. i can't wait till they start putting plates in their lips
    Me neither, it's so attractive.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    years ago at college there was this couple, built about the same, he was a bit more muscular than her. he wore her pants & i think they shared shoes. her hair was pink, which is fine. he had an attitude of sorts yet was as silent as a mouse, if that makes any sense.

maybe it makes sense to have a partner you're the same size as so you can share clothing, yes/no? i gotta see the lady of the house wear my boots & suspenders. she'll be a lumberjack in a hurry. me & skinny jeans aren't happenin much

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    holy damn, pj_soul
    that is some kinda picture you got there. the plate lip & cellular phone have definitely crossed paths.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    chadwick said:

PJ_Soul said:

for once, I'd like to see a carabiner with car keys in someone's fucking ear things....WTF do you call those, anyway?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    yeah hipsters should place their carabiners-keychains in their ears

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Carabiner-keychain Prince Alberts
    The love he receives is the love that is saved