Options

Have you ever changed your mind about a political topic?

mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,846
Just wondering if you ever changed your mind about a political topic. It happened to me at the gym the other day. I was on the elliptical machine watching CNN with my headphones on. Then it happens, the footage about a Syrian solider (army maybe?) holding a baby and crying after yet another attack. I finally realized that we (the u.s.) have to help these people out somehow. I can't imagine living over there with my family with no way out because maybe, just maybe there might be a few bad apples amongst us. Now I'm not saying I'd bring millions of them to the u.s.a. but the United Nations, NATO or someone has to do a better job of helping these people out.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me......

Comments

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,887
    I was anti death penalty for the longest time and now I'm pro.

I go back and forth on trade.

For years I understood the logic behind our support of Israel but their government's conduct became something I couldn't support.

A few votes I've cast in certain elections I wish I had back.

Sometimes I just don't know what the best answer is and can see merit on all sides.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,846
    JimmyV said:

I go back and forth on trade.

For years I understood the logic behind our support of Israel but their government's conduct became something I couldn't support.

A few votes I've cast in certain elections I wish I had back.

Sometimes I just don't know what the best answer is and can see merit on all sides.

The death penalty is the one issue I can't decide on.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,685
    Israel. Years ago when Bob Dylan sang about "Neighborhood Bully", using sarcasm to support Israel rather than condemn them as the song might be interpreted. I figured he must be right. I mean, it's Bob, right? Added to that, I had a friend who was a Jewish Israeli Nationalist who had me convinced Israel could do no wrong. I've since changed my mind on that issue. That doesn't mean I hate Israelis, but it does mean I am more critical of many of that countries actions with regard to Palestinians.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    It happened to me on global warming. I used to think it was predominantly caused by man but then the science over time changed my mine.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Help them out? We are the cause of their pain and misery.
  • Options
    seanwonseanwon Posts: 280
    JimmyV said:

I'm the opposite, used to be pro, now I am against it. Seems like a weekly basis I read about someone who has been in prison for decades getting out due to DNA evidence exonerating them. Scary to think how many innocent people were put to death. Also, I've read it actually costs more money to put someone to death than to keep them in prison for life.

1996: 9/29 Randall's Island 2,  10/1 Buffalo                  2000: 8/27 Saratoga Springs
    2003: 4/29 Albany,  5/2 Buffalo,  7/9 MSG 2                   2006: 5/12 Albany,  6/3 East Rutherford 2
    2008: 6/27 Hartford                 2009: 10/27 Philadelphia 1              2010: 5/15 Hartford,   5/21 MSG 2
    2013: 10/15 Worcester 1,  10/25 Hartford                       2014: 10/1 Cincinnati
    2016: 5/2 MSG 2,   8/5 Fenway 1,  11/7 Temple of the Dog MSG
    2018: 9/2 Fenway 1
    2020: 3/30 MSG             2022: 9/11 MSG            2023: 9/10 Noblesville
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    I used to be OK with Democrats and democratic thinking. Until this last six months. They are no different than Republicans and their dirty tricks, maneuvers and corruption.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    It's really the have and have nots. None of us have.
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Who is that stubborn to never change their mind? Except some of those in the Clinton thread...hahaha, and maybe the Sanders thread as well, I'll leave Trump thread alone, he doesn't want to be president, just the role of shit disturber.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    unsung said:

Help them out? We are the cause of their pain and misery.

Exactly, but the clintons will fix it...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    unsung, I'm curious - what do you consider as "having"?

lukin, your first line nails it. If no room for new ideas, different paths of thought and action, there's no growth. No willingness to consider another view or even take in, maybe accept, parts of that perspective. Without that we become stagnant.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610
    unsung said:

It's really the have and have nots. None of us have.

How would you describe someone who is a have? What qualifies them?
  • Options
    hedonist said:

unsung, I'm curious - what do you consider as "having"?

lukin, your first line nails it. If no room for new ideas, different paths of thought and action, there's no growth. No willingness to consider another view or even take in, maybe accept, parts of that perspective. Without that we become stagnant.

I think you know the answer.

Rules and laws don't apply to the ruling class. Are we the ruling class? Nope.
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    Free said:

I used to be OK with Democrats and democratic thinking. Until this last six months. They are no different than Republicans and their dirty tricks, maneuvers and corruption.

Same here. I demexited 3 years ago for the Green Party before it was "cool" because of Obama flip flopping on Monsanto and that whole Edward Snowden controversy. Even wiser decision now with Killary going full Frank Underwood and bashing Bernie and Jill fans as basement dwellers.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Well at least you aren't a deplorable. Personally from her it sounds like a badge of honor, but what do I know. As a non-participant I wonder what she thinks of me.
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    unsung said:

Well at least you aren't a deplorable. Personally from her it sounds like a badge of honor, but what do I know. As a non-participant I wonder what she thinks of me.

only a potential vote, after that...the same as anybody else, nothing," what dose it mater anyway"

Godfather.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    Yes, I've changed my mind about a lot of things over the years.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    If Trump becomes president I will rethink the entire system, but that's just not going to happen. Everything is in line for the powers that be.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    Yes, after Sandy hook I realized that there is absolutely no reason why anyone needs to own an assault rifle designed to kill a large amount of people in very little time.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

Yes, after Sandy hook I realized that there is absolutely no reason why anyone needs to own an assault rifle designed to kill a large amount of people in very little time.

Same here, the Orlando spree cemented it even more.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options

Stunning that more people's heads never popped out of the fog after that unfortunate event.

There never could have been a more convincing demonstration demanding change, yet people stubbornly clung to their fancy weapons- I think knowing full well there were no truly legitimate reasons for ownership outside of the joy they got pulling the trigger (or they'd be an absolute meathead).

Stubbornness and selfishness can be strong human traits: we could see another classroom of kindergarten children all shot in the face and assault rifle owners would still assert that guns don't kill people, it's Obama's fault, etc.

They'd do this as the clock begins ticking to signal the next major event with the assault rifle as the star.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Boxes&BooksBoxes&Books USA Posts: 2,672
    Free said:

This my ninja!! It started to happen for me a few years back. Now I'm completely liberated! Feels amazing to be free! :)

I remember telling myself that I would have a tough choice on who to vote for if the nominee would have been Ron Paul vs Obama.
    I Would pay $100 to watch those two ninjas go head to head in a debate/conversation. Where the hell is Don King to make this happen!
  • Options
    Although that would be a debate I'd love to watch as with the last one a biased moderator can swing things one way or the other.
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    If the moderator can "swing" a debate,the candidate wasn't prepared.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    You've probably not watched a lot of debates.

It's as simple as giving one person speaking time and the others little to none.
  • Options
    unsung said:

It's as simple as giving one person speaking time and the others little to none.

Well that certainly wasn't a factor for Trump in the first debate.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

Why do people keep bring Trump into any conversation with unsung, has he ever thrown his support behind Trump? Just curious, or should he also be spending as much time criticizing Trump?

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

Why do people keep bring Trump into any conversation with unsung, has he ever thrown his support behind Trump? Just curious, or should he also be spending as much time criticizing Trump?
    He mentioned the last moderator... was that not reference to the first presidential debate? And since Hillary won that by a landslide, the next logical assumption would have to be that Trump was the one who was supposedly victim to a biased moderator.
    I am aware that unsung is not voting.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

He mentioned the last moderator... was that not reference to the first presidential debate? And since Hillary won that by a landslide, the next logical assumption would have to be that Trump was the one who was supposedly victim to a biased moderator.
    I am aware that unsung is not voting.
    Personally...I don't see the point in discussing Trump, if he wins it'll be a complete accident...

And I don't see him even coming close...

Any polls that show him close will probably will likely be proven wrong and that he really wasn't even close, these polls and pollsters have an agenda as well?

So I think for some of us we might as well focus our attention on the winner...
    Post edited by lukin2006 on

• Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    unsung said:

That's IF the moderator can get the candidates to listen to him.