Options

Mike Watt’s “Ring Spiel” Tour ’95

Comments

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,827

Latest 10club newsletter ..

Mike Watt - Ring Spiel Tour '95

Mike Watt’s tour behind his first solo album will be captured on record for the first time with “Ring Spiel” Tour ’95, a hard-hitting album featuring an all-star backing band including members of Pearl Jam and Foo Fighters. For his first solo tour of clubs around the United States, Watt assembled a once-in-a-lifetime all-star touring group: Eddie Vedder on guitar and vocals; Dave Grohl on guitar, vocals and drums; Pat Smear on guitar and William Goldsmith on drums.

“Ring Spiel” Tour ’95 will be released as a 2LP, CD and digital set on November 11, 2016.

https://www.amazon.com/Ring-Spiel-Tour-Mike-Watt/dp/B01LWXMA00
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    BE9456 said:

jason_94 said:

Great to finally be getting a 95 Watt show!

I agree. I was too young to get in. It was the days before the internet... I waited outside the alley the 2nd night of the tour, when radio stations were talking about "rumors" of who was showing up from the first show in Phoenix (I think). Met everyone throughout the night, talked with Beth from Hovercraft for about 15-20 minutes, Eddie told me to join the fan club cause they get first pick at tickets (boy am I ever glad I listened to him). :) I shook Dave Grohl's hand and said "Dave that sounded really cool from out here." And he said "Thanks man," with a look of sincerity like he was really touched to hear that (remember Foo Fighters had played maybe what, 2 shows to this point, and no one had really heard his own songs). It was a night I will never forget. Looking forward to the album.

I also remember seeing the video footage, of all things, on some concert show that aired after Friday Night Videos on NBC back then. I thought it was totally random that I just happened to catch it at like 2 am or whatever it was. I've got it on a VHS bootleg somewhere.
    Great story!
    here's my story. The Foos got sick and in Santa Cruz it was only Watt and his buddy he called up on drums. No Foos, no Eddie.
    LOL ouch! That sucks.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options

Original Release Date: November 11, 2016
    Number of Discs: 2
    Label: Sony Legacy
    Run Time: 57 minutes
    ASIN: B01LWXMA00
  • Options
    edited October 2016
  • Options
    hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033
    I'll pass on this.
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,148
    Anyone seen an orange vinyl that ships to Canada yet?
  • Options
    Zod said:

I haven't seen anything yet. They can pre order me the black copy, no luck on the orange vinyl.
  • Options
    cjzolycjzoly Posts: 508
    demetrios said:

Zod said:

I haven't seen anything yet. They can pre order me the black copy, no luck on the orange vinyl.
    Really...I would of hooked you both up...I can try and order a couple of more and see...I currently have 6 on order with various suppliers...I have 5 of those spoken for to head out across the drink to various countries...
    I'm a Thief, I'm a Liar, There's my Church, I sing in the Choir...Hallelujah...
  • Options
    @SonyLegacyRecs: Hear a track from Mike Watt's forthcoming live album, 'ring spiel tour '95.' https://t.co/iucFkfWLa1 https://t.co/2RfJsgkNDw
  • Options
    PREMIERE: In 1995, Mike Watt, Eddie Vedder, and Dave Grohl Advised Chicago Alt-Rockers to Take Cover “Against the ’70s”

Taken from Watt's forthcoming live album, "ring spiel" tour '95.

October 25th 2016
    by Marty Sartini Garner

In 1995, Kurt Cobain was dead, Pearl Jam were fighting Ticketmaster, and the most popular rock song in the country was “Run Around” by Blues Traveler. Alternative rock as a cultural and commercial force hadn’t peaked, really—we were still a year away from Gavin Rossdale playing “Glycerine” in the rain—but its brightest stars were beginning to search for newer, quieter horizons to shine upon.

Enter Mike Watt. The Minutemen, his hugely influential first band, dissolved after a fatal car crash took singer/guitarist D. Boon, and fIREHOSE, which Watt formed with Minutemen drummer George Hurley and Ohio-based guitarist Ed Crawford, called it quits in 1994, leaving Watt without a band for the first time since he was thirteen. At the same time, his marriage to Kira Roessler (herself a onetime bassist for Black Flag) was dissolving.

So he rallied a gang. The list of contributors to Ball-hog or Tugboat?, Watt’s first solo record, was absurd in 1995 and is even more ridiculous in retrospect: Frank Black, Thurston Moore, Lee Ranaldo, Steve Shelley, Henry Rollins, J Mascis, Cris and Curt Kirkwood, Flea, Mike D, Ad Rock, Kathleen Hanna, Bernie Worrell, Dave Pirner, Evan Dando, Petra Haden, Nels Cline, and Mark Lanegan all contributed. A post-Nirvana Dave Grohl, Pat Smear, and Krist Novoselic played extensively. Eddie Vedder sang lead on the album’s lead single, “Against the ’70s.”

Vedder—who, writer Michael Azerrad notes, was the biggest rock star in the world at the time—would join Watt on tour, along with Smear and Grohl (though promoters were forbidden from spreading that info ahead of shows). Ahead of Watt’s headlining sets, Vedder would sit in with Beth Liebling’s band Hovercraft, while Grohl debuted his new band Foo Fighters, who hadn’t yet released their debut.

The group, who were occasionally augmented by Sunny Day Real Estate/Foo Fighters drummer William Goldsmith, made their way to Wrigleyville to play Chicago’s Metro on May 6. That show was recorded, and those recordings will finally see the late of day next month when Sony/Columbia releases “ring spiel” tour ’95. You can get a taste of the record today, though, as we’re premiering the ring spiel version of Ball-hog single “Against the ’70s.” The remarkably clear recording shows Watt, Vedder, and Grohl at full power, roaring through the cautionary tale on the dangers of succumbing to other people’s nostalgia—and Vedder turning in a pretty decent Watt imitation as he takes hold of the mic midway through the first verse. Check it out below.

Naturally, there’s some kind of irony in a bunch of guys who are now for all intents and purposes classic rockers complaining about “Baby boomers selling you rumors of their history” and “forcing youth away from the truth of what’s real today.” Behind the irony, though, is an ethos that was inherent to the movement that birthed The Minutemen and gave rise to Pearl Jam: take nothing, least of all the idols of the generation above you, for granted, but remember too that to reject something wholesale because of its status is to grant it that very same status. After all, Watt and Vedder were products of the ’70s themselves, and The Minutemen placed a faithful cover of Creedence Clearwater Revival’s “Don’t Look Now” on the first side of their 1984 double LP Double Nickels on the Dime. Make of it what you will.
  • Options
    cjzoly said:

demetrios said:

Zod said:

Really...I would of hooked you both up...I can try and order a couple of more and see...I currently have 6 on order with various suppliers...I have 5 of those spoken for to head out across the drink to various countries...
    Friend in the USA has hooked me up with an orange copy.

A release date of November 11th with only 2 online stores still taking pre orders? I haven't found any others taking orders.
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,931
    I'm sure once stores get their stock, you'll see more online. (Reckless, Sonic Boom, Amoeba, etc). If they did 2000, I don't think it will be that hard to get.
  • Options
    H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    Easliy ordered. From CC music hopefully it'll be on orange.
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • Options
    Most likely not. Its supposed to be an indie store exclusive.
  • Options
    Ah bummer. Oh well.
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • Options
    What tracks besides Habit does Ed do lead vocals on? Against the 70's?
  • Options

Still no luck with another other stores other then the 2 selling the orange copies.
  • Options
    Shipping confirmation email from Bull Moose on the orange vinyl. :)
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,876
    demetrios said:

Shipping confirmation email from Bull Moose on the orange vinyl. :)

Same here!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Same
  • Options
    cropdustdaircropdustdair Lakewood, CO / Earth Posts: 2,006
    Same
  • Options
    Available today. All Bull Moose locations have the orange vinyl edition for sale in stores.