Options

Expanded box sets, editions of albums and people's opinions on them

2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
edited September 2016 in Other Music
So, I just picked up the deluxe/expanded set of Smashing Pumpkins 'The Aeroplane Flies High'. 5+ discs of songs, demos, live takes, full show, etc., and it got me thinking about the media/journalists who review these things making comments about these kinds of releases being 'bloated' ,lots of etc., etc., etc., or what have you. I for one am head over heels in love when a band I love releases things like this and in the style like the way Smashing Pumpkins has with their reissues. It's hearing just about everything worth hearing, a complete musical journey through a time period of a band, and in some ways presenting a complete musical thought, warts and all. I guess I don't understand what appears to be a prevailing attitude towards reissues, box sets, etc., as money grabs, not worth hearing, etc.,
www.cluthelee.com

Comments

• Options
    bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    I love different editions, big box sets, etc. Sure, I've listened to the album 100s of times most likely, but getting the extras in these sets that expand on the history of the band itself or a particular album/period of time makes it all worth it to me. To learn why they did something a particular way, to hear the different ways they played the songs (outtakes, demos, etc.), just takes it to another level for me. I remember being a kid and listening to the songs and liking them, but to get a more in depth look at the creative process and learn things about the band that I never knew is an exciting feeling.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    That is a fantastic release from the pumpkins. I used to have that CD boxset with the carry case. I think I sold it cause I needed money.
    Now I have my eyes set on the the 5 LP version.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141

That is a fantastic release from the pumpkins. I used to have that CD boxset with the carry case. I think I sold it cause I needed money.
    Now I have my eyes set on the the 5 LP version.

It's pretty amazing - there is a song called 'Ugly' that was featured on the Mellon Collie expanded re-issue that shows up in this set but it's completely different. To hear a demoed acoustic version get legs and become a whole new monster is one thing I like about this particular reissue. I actually own all the Pumpkins expanded reissues to date with this latest purchase. Can't wait for the final Machina re-issue. Been wanting a proper Machina II disc for about 16 years now.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    quadrophenia