Options

Does White Privilege Exist?

dignindignin Posts: 9,303
edited September 2016 in A Moving Train
White privilege (or white skin privilege) is a term for societal privileges that benefit people identified as white in Western countries, beyond what is commonly experienced by non-white people under the same social, political, or economic circumstances. Academic perspectives such as critical race theory and whiteness studies use the concept of "white privilege" to analyze how racism and racialized societies affect the lives of white or white-skinned people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_privilege

Does White Privilege Exist? 38 votes

Yes
78%
cincybearcatledveddermanjeffbrigotid882-feign-reluctancedigninblueandwhitebutterjamChazzmickeyratCliffy6745polaris_xSmellymanGo BeaversHesCalledDyerOnWis97Kev - Coat and Keysdot30RiotZacteddiec 30 votes
No
21%
pjalive21unsungEmpty GlassKC138045dmaradona10Godfather.Stickman12JWPearl 8 votes

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Wish there were a middle ground option, as I think it's not black-and white sometimes (no pun intended) - meaning, anyone can be born into that.

I'm fair-skinned due to my dad's heritage, but my mom is one of them brown-skinned folks. I'm proud of how her family turned nothing into something (someONES) after coming to the US in the 40s, and later in the 70s.

Guess I consider myself fortunate vs the term privileged as I had wonderful building blocks as a kid, but I worked my ass off to stack them in a way to make a happy life, overall.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    Yes
    According to Bill O'Reilly, no it doesn't because the poor guy had to work in an ice cream parlor once.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Yes
    Thanks for sharing your experience hedonist.

I thought about adding another option but in my opinion it either exists or it doesn't. I think it's that black and white. If you think it does exist we can debate to what degree....and add in variables and nuance.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Yes
    I wouldn't say it exists everywhere, but generally, heck yeah.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Yes
    Oh, and now I have voted.

• Options
    Yes
    brianlux said:

Oh, and now I have voted.

😎
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    Yes
    I think it's hard to deny, if you have paid even a grain of attention to the wider world around you. Because the concept does not deny that everybody has to work hard to succeed (unless you are born to that other type of privilege - money), but some groups definitely have more barriers put in the way that others don't ever face, and so probably never even think about.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Yes
    Abso-fucking-lutely
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    No
    Nope.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    Do blacks on average have more obstacles to overcome? Yes. Is it a direct result of their race? No. More start lower in socialeconomical status, broken homes, poor neighborhoods that contribute to this and does make it difficult to break this cycle.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    edited September 2016
    happy Sunday!
    Post edited by Jason P on
  • Options
    Yes
    mace1229 said:

Do blacks on average have more obstacles to overcome? Yes. Is it a direct result of their race? No. More start lower in socialeconomical status, broken homes, poor neighborhoods that contribute to this and does make it difficult to break this cycle.

Do you think racism exists?

Look at it this way, if you believe racism exists then you don't have to take a giant leap to believe that white privilege exists. All of our systems are made up of people.....if any person with any kind of power (mostly white males) within that system has racial bias, whether intentional or not, than that person or system will put the people of colour at a disadvantage.....therefore giving whites a leg up. Does that make sense?

So in turn you would have to believe that racism no longer exists, if white privilege doesn't exist.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Yes
    Another comparison
    sexism+males= male privilege
    same as
    racism+whites= white privilege

Clear as mud?

Edit: I should also be a bit more clear here....I don't mean to say that just because I benefit from the system (I'm a white male) that makes me sexist/racist...it just means that I benefit.
    Post edited by dignin on
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    No
    It's an half full, half empty glass thing.

Instead of focusing on bringing whites down because of some imagined privilege, focus on why blacks have racist actions toward them.

But people like jesse and al need a job.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    Yes
    Who is focusing on bring whites down? Pretty sure the idea is to raise everyone else up.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dignin said:

mace1229 said:

Do you think racism exists?

Look at it this way, if you believe racism exists then you don't have to take a giant leap to believe that white privilege exists. All of our systems are made up of people.....if any person with any kind of power (mostly white males) within that system has racial bias, whether intentional or not, than that person or system will put the people of colour at a disadvantage.....therefore giving whites a leg up. Does that make sense?

So in turn you would have to believe that racism no longer exists, if white privilege doesn't exist.
    I actually don't think racism exist as a whole. Of course there are racist individuals, but they exist in all colors and hate all colors. Racism is an equal opportunity offender.
    Every candidate since I've been an adult, which is 4 or 5 elections always has equality as a major component of their campaign. We've become so culturally sensitive to counteract even the slightest impression of racism. Many schools aren't even allowed to celebrate cinco de mayo because they are afraid to offend someone.
    Yes some individuals are racist, but it is not socially acceptable and is by far the minority. and like I said you can find them of all colors.
  • Options
    Yes
    PJ_Soul said:

Who is focusing on bring whites down? Pretty sure the idea is to raise everyone else up.

pjSOUL gets it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ajzpd-ONOdo
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Yes
    unsung said:

It's an half full, half empty glass thing.

Instead of focusing on bringing whites down because of some imagined privilege, focus on why blacks have racist actions toward them.

But people like jesse and al need a job.

Focus on why blacks have racist actions toward them???!!!

What in the actual fuck???

They have racist actions toward them BECAUSE THERE ARE RACISTS!

I guess you're one of the people who defends rapists because the girl wore a skirt. Cuz ya know, let's focus on why women have rape actions toward them.
  • Options
    Yes
    I think it's important to remember we are (at least I think we are) talking about America in general here. In general, white people in America have more and better opportunities to get by well and are treated with fewer biases. That's called "white privilege". I don't see how anyone could argue convincingly against that.

• Options
    No
    PJ_Soul said:

That's what should be done but it isn't done.

White on black crime is nearly nothing, black on black crime is the highest amount of crime, by far, done to black people.

Their response: White Privilege.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610
    Yes
    unsung said:

PJ_Soul said:

That's what should be done but it isn't done.

White on black crime is nearly nothing, black on black crime is the highest amount of crime, by far, done to black people.

Their response: White Privilege.
    I'm not sure what you mean when you say their response is white privilege? Unless you're referring to segregation, where white privilege plays a role in that whites have more freedom to live in pretty much any area that they can afford.
  • Options
    cant anyone live in any area they can afford? I have never seen modern day segregation where blacks were not allowed to live in a certain area.
  • Options
    Yes
    mace1229 said:

cant anyone live in any area they can afford? I have never seen modern day segregation where blacks were not allowed to live in a certain area.

Not in the legal sense, but in harassment, a general 'you're not welcome here', violence, being denied by landlords, directed to certain areas by real estate agents, etc. I've heard multiple times in my lifetime that "blacks won't live here or they'll be beat up", "blacks don't move across the tracks" etc. It's one reason I got out of the Midwest.
  • Options
    No

mace1229 said:

Not in the legal sense, but in harassment, a general 'you're not welcome here', violence, being denied by landlords, directed to certain areas by real estate agents, etc. I've heard multiple times in my lifetime that "blacks won't live here or they'll be beat up", "blacks don't move across the tracks" etc. It's one reason I got out of the Midwest.
    That isn't white privilege, that's being racist.

If I'm walking with my black friend, his name will be Mark, and a cop walks up to us and accuses Mark of a crime it isn't because of white privilege. It's because the cop either has someone that fits his description, or he's racist. Blaming me for that is a liberal made up safe space cop out.
  • Options

mace1229 said:

That's true for other races too. I worked in South Central LA and certain streets I just didn't go down because I would have been beat up for being white. Typically those are not affluent neighborhoods that attract outsiders anyway in either scenario.
  • Options
    Yes
    unsung said:

mace1229 said:

That isn't white privilege, that's being racist.

If I'm walking with my black friend, his name will be Mark, and a cop walks up to us and accuses Mark of a crime it isn't because of white privilege. It's because the cop either has someone that fits his description, or he's racist. Blaming me for that is a liberal made up safe space cop out.
    The other side of the racism is white privilege. Like I said, whites can live nearly anywhere they want if they can afford it, blacks cannot. To move about freely is a white privilege, and many whites are under the impression that anyone is able to do the same.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Yes
    mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

That's true for other races too. I worked in South Central LA and certain streets I just didn't go down because I would have been beat up for being white. Typically those are not affluent neighborhoods that attract outsiders anyway in either scenario.
    I would guess there's maybe 1% of places whites get flack if they go to, and that might be high. In my scenario, blacks are being shut out of middle class neighborhoods that are considered affluent.
    Post edited by Go Beavers on
  • Options

mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

I would guess there's maybe 1% of places whites get flack if they go to, and that might be high. In my scenario, blacks are being shut out of middle class neighborhoods that are considered affluent.
    Being shut out as in they will get "beat up" if they try to move in? I have never heard of that in affluent neighborhoods, which are you referring to?
  • Options
    Yes
    mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

Being shut out as in they will get "beat up" if they try to move in? I have never heard of that in affluent neighborhoods, which are you referring to?
    I've heard this referenced in and around Chicago (which is extremely segregated) and smaller towns in the Midwest. There's also areas with significant KKK activity. Not the most welcoming for minorities.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    Yes

mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

I've heard this referenced in and around Chicago (which is extremely segregated) and smaller towns in the Midwest. There's also areas with significant KKK activity. Not the most welcoming for minorities.
    Not to mention police harassment.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata