Options

Start another marijuana thread, please.

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    brianlux said:

Question for those of us who were under aged (I was 16) when we used pot for the first time: How would you feel if your under-aged kid got high and you found out? Tough question!

I'd rather they try pot than alcohol, I can tell you that.

I'd honestly feel wary of my older one trying it. She is kind of a follower of her Type A friends. My younger one has loads of friends but isn't easily influenced. She's her own person (and she's only 7). I'd feel more comfortable if she did it pre-16 than the older one, as I would believe it was more her choice than peer pressure. I'm scared for my older one. I think she'll do whatever her friends do. But she's also young (socially) for her age, I think, so I might not have to worry about it for a bit yet. But things can happen quickly, I know.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    I was smoking weed daily in grade 10 (15 years old). DAILY. my grades (and the relationship with my parents) suffered terribly, but that didn't matter. I was fucking COOL.

No, I wasn't. I just thought I was. But I still knew I was doing less damage than the jocks getting wasted and driving and being idiots every weekend. it was literally like an 80's movie. in the 90's. we were just chillin' and listening to pink floyd in my buddy's bedroom.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited October 2016

I was smoking weed daily in grade 10 (15 years old). DAILY. my grades (and the relationship with my parents) suffered terribly, but that didn't matter. I was fucking COOL.

No, I wasn't. I just thought I was. But I still knew I was doing less damage than the jocks getting wasted and driving and being idiots every weekend. it was literally like an 80's movie. in the 90's. we were just chillin' and listening to pink floyd in my buddy's bedroom.

I was smoking pot, hash, drinking, and dropping acid, snorting mescaline, etc, all through high school, starting at 13, but I was able to temper it adequately (and made a serious point of avoiding anything more hard core, like cocaine). But I still did well in school, participated in classes, and was active with extracurricular stuff, etc. I did skip classes a lot, but only because I could still make grades. And I never got in shit (like, was never brought home by the cops, hurt in an accident, was never destructive, whatever). Honestly, I know a lot of my teachers as well as my parents wanted to try and stop me from skipping class or partying the way I did, but none of them could really justify a crack down, since I was doing fine anyhow, lol. However, I am aware that my situation was probably the exception, not the norm. Yes, I think this issue relies very much on the disposition of the kid in question. Some can handle it well, some really can't.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    decriminalize and legalize cannabis. stop putting people in jail for this.
    as bob says "herb is the healing of a nation. alcohol is the destruction"
    lately for me it's all about butter. double up what those recipes on line say to use. be smart about consuming. FUN
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t82Glf_9W48
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    It's legal here....it will be interesting to see what the state does with the extra revenue. from what I understand, Colorado has done a good job by putting it back into infrastructure and education.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I was smoking pot, hash, drinking, and dropping acid, snorting mescaline, etc, all through high school, starting at 13, but I was able to temper it adequately (and made a serious point of avoiding anything more hard core, like cocaine). But I still did well in school, participated in classes, and was active with extracurricular stuff, etc. I did skip classes a lot, but only because I could still make grades. And I never got in shit (like, was never brought home by the cops, hurt in an accident, was never destructive, whatever). Honestly, I know a lot of my teachers as well as my parents wanted to try and stop me from skipping class or partying the way I did, but none of them could really justify a crack down, since I was doing fine anyhow, lol. However, I am aware that my situation was probably the exception, not the norm. Yes, I think this issue relies very much on the disposition of the kid in question. Some can handle it well, some really can't.
    pot, hash, and oil,. acid scared the fuck out of me. never tried it. never will. quit mushrooms over a decade ago. too much for my aging brain. sometimes pot does more than i'd like it to. lol.

did coke once on a whim, hated it. my gf at the time, unfortunately, loved it. but i can understand the immediate need to do it again. we woke up the next morning, and literally neither of us moved until late afternoon. and i had some crazy bleeding from the nose. it was terrible.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    brianlux said:

Question for those of us who were under aged (I was 16) when we used pot for the first time: How would you feel if your under-aged kid got high and you found out? Tough question!

I didn't try until I was 19, and then I stayed stoned for the next 10 years straight lol. My parents were old-school stoners who hadn't been able to pass a piss test since the 60's and my brother started daily smoking at 14.
    I started drinking at 14 because I had to be a rebel, I couldn't go the same path as my brother lol
    We always got drunk very responsibly, never any arrests, injuries, or drunk driving.
    All that being said...
    Simon is a year and a half old and I already look forward to the day when we climb a mountain together and then pass the peace pipe in celebration. I don't want him daily smoking until at least 17 or 18, it does have some detrimental effects on growing brains, and I won't partake with him until 18, but if he finds his first buzz at 14 or so, I won't be distraught about it. I will have a responsible talk about it without judging him and then I will watch him like a hawk lol
    Smoking pot is MUCH less dangerous for young adults than alcohol, and MUCH less dangerous for them than the thing they care about most...sex!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

brianlux said:

I didn't try until I was 19, and then I stayed stoned for the next 10 years straight lol. My parents were old-school stoners who hadn't been able to pass a piss test since the 60's and my brother started daily smoking at 14.
    I started drinking at 14 because I had to be a rebel, I couldn't go the same path as my brother lol
    We always got drunk very responsibly, never any arrests, injuries, or drunk driving.
    All that being said...
    Simon is a year and a half old and I already look forward to the day when we climb a mountain together and then pass the peace pipe in celebration. I don't want him daily smoking until at least 17 or 18, it does have some detrimental effects on growing brains, and I won't partake with him until 18, but if he finds his first buzz at 14 or so, I won't be distraught about it. I will have a responsible talk about it without judging him and then I will watch him like a hawk lol
    Smoking pot is MUCH less dangerous for young adults than alcohol, and MUCH less dangerous for them than the thing they care about most...sex!
    this is interesting. most folks I have talked to about this say "I won't care if he smokes it, but I won't encourage it or smoke with him". I wrestle with that. I don't have fond memories of respect for friends' parents that would party with us and smoke a joint. I thought it was cool at the time, but looking back, I always thought how sad that was. maybe "partying" is different than just sharing a J with your kid on a mountain, I don't know. Maybe I'm stuck in my own stigma. Because it's culturally fine to drink with your kids. it's even legal for them to be served alcohol in a restaurant after 12 years old acccompanied by an adult and if they are consuming a meal (at least that's the rule in Manitoba).

Maybe the difference for me is having one drink is nothing. The whole purpose of smoking weed is to get high. Having a drink isn't always about getting drunk.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edited November 2016

rgambs said:

brianlux said:

All that being said...
    this is interesting. most folks I have talked to about this say "I won't care if he smokes it, but I won't encourage it or smoke with him". I wrestle with that. I don't have fond memories of respect for friends' parents that would party with us and smoke a joint. I thought it was cool at the time, but looking back, I always thought how sad that was. maybe "partying" is different than just sharing a J with your kid on a mountain, I don't know. Maybe I'm stuck in my own stigma. Because it's culturally fine to drink with your kids. it's even legal for them to be served alcohol in a restaurant after 12 years old acccompanied by an adult and if they are consuming a meal (at least that's the rule in Manitoba).

Maybe the difference for me is having one drink is nothing. The whole purpose of smoking weed is to get high. Having a drink isn't always about getting drunk.
    My family has a "not until 18" rule that I will be observing, but, yeah, I look forward to sharing a buzz with him. Getting a buzz on with my parents is a wonderful joy in my life. Mother and I toke up and then we get going in the kitchen and make holliday meals or jar up some wild jelly, pickle some beans, etc. Same with Pap, except we head out to the garage and tinker.

I look forward to my son enjoying all the life experiences I enjoy; adventures, hard work with good results, making and enjoying music, getting a buzz, having sex with beautiful women and hopefully falling in love with one of the first of them.
    I want him to grab life by the horns and ride it like a champ, I don't want to discourage him from the things that make my life full because of societal picadillos.
    Post edited by rgambs on
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

brianlux said:

All that being said...

My family has a "not until 18" rule that I will be observing, but, yeah, I look forward to sharing a buzz with him. Getting a buzz on with my parents is a wonderful joy in my life. Mother and I toke up and then we get going in the kitchen and make holliday meals or jar up some wild jelly, pickle some beans, etc. Same with Pap, except we head out to the garage and tinker.

I look forward to my son enjoying all the life experiences I enjoy; adventures, hard work with good results, making and enjoying music, getting a buzz, having sex with beautiful women and hopefully falling in love with one of the first of them.
    I want him to grab life by the horns and ride it like a champ, I don't want to discourage him from the things that make my life full because of societal picadillos.
    interesting perspective gambs. I like it. I'd honestly feel strange about getting high with my parents (probably cuz they tell me they have never done it). Oddly, I don't feel strange having drinks with them.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

brianlux said:

All that being said...

interesting perspective gambs. I like it. I'd honestly feel strange about getting high with my parents (probably cuz they tell me they have never done it). Oddly, I don't feel strange having drinks with them.
    That's just the stigma of drugs vs alcohol talking. We are basically brainwashed from a very young age to think of booze as normal and drugs (weed) as anti-social (mostly because it has always been illegal). Generally, kids don't feel comfortable breaking laws with their parents, lol, and whatever happens to change as life goes on, that feeling sticks.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

brianlux said:

All that being said...

That's just the stigma of drugs vs alcohol talking. We are basically brainwashed from a very young age to think of booze as normal and drugs (weed) as anti-social (mostly because it has always been illegal). Generally, kids don't feel comfortable breaking laws with their parents, lol, and whatever happens to change as life goes on, that feeling sticks.
    I agree it is PARTLY the stigma, but as I said before, you don't just have "happy hour" with weed. no matter how much you smoke, you get intoxicated. not so with alcohol. so to me it would be like partying with my parents. have I done that before? yes, but very rarely. and we openly drink at family gatherings and such. But we just don't usually get loaded together.

I just can't see myself ever saying "who wants to have a toke before dinner" in place of having a drink before dinner. it's just not the same, stigma/legality or not. That's just my take.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    edited November 2016

PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

brianlux said:

All that being said...

I agree it is PARTLY the stigma, but as I said before, you don't just have "happy hour" with weed. no matter how much you smoke, you get intoxicated. not so with alcohol. so to me it would be like partying with my parents. have I done that before? yes, but very rarely. and we openly drink at family gatherings and such. But we just don't usually get loaded together.

I just can't see myself ever saying "who wants to have a toke before dinner" in place of having a drink before dinner. it's just not the same, stigma/legality or not. That's just my take.
    No, it's not the same because the high is different. But maybe a puff before a walk a woods with mom or something like that? Lol, my parents don't smoke weed - they never even tried it - but my mom has suggested she might want to try, and I would be the one to get her high, haha. I think she's scared of it. She said if she did do it, she'd want me to come over to her house so that she's in her safe place, just in case. :lol: I personally couldn't care less either way. It's my mom, so nothing is going to make me feel uncomfortable with her. I'm not eager to get high with her though, because it's just not going to be something she's into.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    I found it incredibly hard to believe my parents never did it. they were in their late teens in the late 60's. I thought they were just lying to me so I didn't have the argument "well you guys did it!". But to this day they insist my dad tried it once at a party and hated it, and mom never tried it. I just assumed that EVERYONE in the 60's did it unless you were a clean cut army type. :lol:
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378

I found it incredibly hard to believe my parents never did it. they were in their late teens in the late 60's. I thought they were just lying to me so I didn't have the argument "well you guys did it!". But to this day they insist my dad tried it once at a party and hated it, and mom never tried it. I just assumed that EVERYONE in the 60's did it unless you were a clean cut army type. :lol:

my parents said that they never did it.....and I don't believe them. haha!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:

my parents said that they never did it.....and I don't believe them. haha!
    I didn't believe them then, but I do now. there's no reason for them to lie to me about it after all the stories they told me about all their drinking and driving shenanigans back then.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

sounds familiar
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    rgambs said:

brianlux said:

All that being said...
    Interesting story, Gambs. "Old school stoners", love it! My folks never smoked pot but it hadn't been invented yet in their day.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    edited November 2016
    Priest wants marijuana to stay illegal to protect kids...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6KH3C-t9vs
    Post edited by lukin2006 on
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    lukin2006 said:
    :lol: Right. I'm sure protection of kids is a real high priority for that church.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    lukin2006 said:

Priest wants marijuana to stay illegal to protect kids...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6KH3C-t9vs

He says while drunk, lol.
  • Options
  • Options
    perhaps the wave of decriminalization has started?
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I expect Chris Christie to be Trump's AG.

Christie, for some reason, is very anti-marijuana, to the point that he sees Federal crack-down as a major priority.
  • Options
    i expect the wave that is happening already in humbolt county to help turn the tide for the entire country. imo it's very hard to turn the dial back in california and colorado and washington state etc
    california going rec is a massive move forward.
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957

i expect the wave that is happening already in humbolt county to help turn the tide for the entire country. imo it's very hard to turn the dial back in california and colorado and washington state etc

No it is not hard to turn it back. They just need to send in the DEA to start shutting these places down. It's been done before and I will not be surprised if they do it again. It's still against federal law and if they decide to enforce it, the party is over.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611

No it is not hard to turn it back. They just need to send in the DEA to start shutting these places down. It's been done before and I will not be surprised if they do it again. It's still against federal law and if they decide to enforce it, the party is over.
    This.

While those referendum results are very positive.... The General Election was a huge, giant blow to legalization
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    MayDay10 said:

I expect Chris Christie to be Trump's AG.

Christie, for some reason, is very anti-marijuana, to the point that he sees Federal crack-down as a major priority.

Rudy will be AG
  • Options
    hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033
    VEGAS!
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    You had a democrat in the white house for the last 8 years...
    Federally its still a class 1 narcotic, so those of you worried can look at your current president...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
This discussion has been closed.