Start another marijuana thread, please.

Comments

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    edited October 2016
    I took Hugh's adice it's available....

https://store.qotsa.com/collections/accessories
    Post edited by lukin2006 on
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    lukin2006 said:

I took Hugh's adice it's available....

https://store.qotsa.com/collections/accessories

Awesome! Thank you both.
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,754
    Bump to get open threads on page 1
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,714
    I hope a friend of mine is having a good little toke this evening. :hang_loose:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    jeffbr said:

We'd have a lot more actual, peer reviewed studies if the goddamned federal government would remove MJ from schedule 1 of the Controlled Substances Act. But as PJSoul and HFD have said, there is plenty of evidence regarding benefits of MJ - from pain relief to seizure control to anti-nausea help, etc...

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    My state will have a legalization bill entered this January... I'm am voting locally only for people that support legalization

Your vote counts folks, too many people get caught up in the presidential race, local votes can have a lot more impact on your actual life
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    brianlux said:

sorry for repost my computer is freaking out on me...

Godfather.

Have a smoke, GF. I believe it is a cure for MPS (multiple posting syndrome).
    HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAH !!!!!!!!

Godfather.

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

is there any scientific evidence that proves cannabis cures anything ?

Godfather.

Well it's still largely anecdotal proof. Yes, i call it proof. People who are suffering use it and their symptoms improve. There are videos and stories about it all over the Internet. Stories like children who have hundreds of seizures a day, then use medical Marijuana products and their seizures immediately stop for weeks at a time. There are tons of cases similar to this real example. That's proof in my book.

But scientific proof remains illusive (for what i cinsider bullshit reasons). Here is something for you to read about this issue:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/medical-marijuana-how-the-evidence-stacks-up/

http://www.medicaldaily.com/new-research-undermines-benefits-medical-marijuana-why-it-so-hard-prove-weed-works-339770
    good articles, I have no problem with legalizing it (change of mind a while back) but I believe most pro ad's for it are too......hippy'ish
    and does more harm than good for the movement of legalization because the people that need to be convinced are less hippy and more the average working class with children who relate the hippy drug of the 60's to current blood shed and cartel control affiliated to the illicit drug trade and the drug related deaths that happen everyday, my answer: stop using a pot leafs for advertising it's medical benefits and use a more....shall we say scientific name to discuss it's natural properties and uses for medical treatments, lose the hippy affiliation and maybe folks would be more open to it.

Godfather.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534
    Don't you think that is a bit unreasonable? People are stuck in a crazy stigma that makes no sense, hung up on some vague "hippy" bias, and it's everybody else who should change things to accommodate their ignorant and baseless viewpoint?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I think GF makes a good point. The San Francisco bay area where I grew up was a cultural center for the hippie movement and I thought some of that was great- the political movements embracing civil rights, freedom of speech, the anti-war movement, the music, becoming more open minded as well as becoming more critical in our thinking, and yes, smoking pot. But what I didn't like about it was the dopey hippy vibe. It was too limiting. A lot of hippies were living on another planet. A lot of them were freeloaders. You'd hear people talk about how all groovy rock concerts should be "for the people" and should be free. What? The musicians should work for free? Some of that thinking has carried over to today which is partly what is responsible for the misunderstanding about what Bernie Sanders has been trying to do in politics. It's why some people think Sanders supporters are all hippy freeloaders. Not so.

So yeah, I think the hippie vibe thing should not be the focus of legalizing marijuana.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    edited October 2016
    So behave in any way that will counteract illogical and biased stigmas?
    It really shouldn't matter to anyone if some weed supporters are hippy drippy. It's irrelevant. That such a thing could negatively affect people's view on this topic says something about those who are so bothered by it, not about the people who happen to have a particular harmless lifestyle. Hey, that kind of thing isn't my thing either, but I don't discriminate against those people and their way of expressing themselves. That seems rely superficial to me. It take all kinds. That is fine with me.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

It really shouldn't matter to anyone if some weed supporters are hippy drippy. It's irrelevant. That such a thing could negatively affect people's view on this topic says something about those who are so bothered by it, not about the people who happen to have a particular harmless lifestyle. Hey, that kind of thing isn't my thing either, but I don't discriminate against those people and their way of expressing themselves. That seems rely superficial to me. It take all kinds. That is fine with me.

Some of that hippy thing is fine. Of course. Why not! It's a part of our culture. But just a part. What I'm suggesting is just lets please not make it all a "hippy thing".

• Options
    brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

Some of that hippy thing is fine. Of course. Why not! It's a part of our culture. But just a part. What I'm suggesting is just lets please not make it all a "hippy thing".
    It isn't though.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

It isn't though.
    Good to know.

And it's not that I hate hippies. Hippies are fun loving and colorful and generally very peaceful. It's just that as I got older I became less passive, less laissez-faire and more action and work oriented. I should have been born a decade later and joined Black Flag.

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    most, if not all of the pro-legalization stuff i read has zero to do with getting high and watching tv. it's all about the healing effects of cannibis oil and other offshoots.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

the 60's have come and gone (I was there...very young but there) the hippy thing is a great advertising gimmick but if you want to
    change the world you have to play with the big dogs and they're not hippies..nobody takes the hippy thing seriously anymore it had it's time and real hippies have grown old and changed to better fight the "establishment" ...why did I even go there ? but anyway PJ my post was just an idea to help further a cause..that's all.

Godfather.

• Options
    brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

It isn't though.
    Good to know.

And it's not that I hate hippies. Hippies are fun loving and colorful and generally very peaceful. It's just that as I got older I became less passive, less laissez-faire and more action and work oriented. I should have been born a decade later and joined Black Flag.
    lol !

Godfather.

• Options
    GF, I was born in 1965. Have partaken of the plant since the late 70s and doing pretty well overall in life, though I get some aren't. I may be off, but would generally attribute that to other factors and personal choices vs. the green itself.

I love getting a buzz on as much as the next Beavis, but it really has been a godsend when it comes to relieving my pain. No one should be denied that resource, especially one without so many fucked up side-effects.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

GF, I was born in 1965. Have partaken of the plant since the late 70s and doing pretty well overall in life, though I get some aren't. I may be off, but would generally attribute that to other factors and personal choices vs. the green itself.

I love getting a buzz on as much as the next Beavis, but it really has been a godsend when it comes to relieving my pain. No one should be denied that resource, especially one without so many fucked up side-effects.

Doing the math, that means you toked up before you turned 15! Got me beat by a year or two there (but I'm older-- nanner nanner!)

• Options
    hedonist said:

no problem my friend I would agree.
    my only advise was to change advertising .

Godfather.

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

It isn't though.
    In many cases, it is. In Ohio they sent out a mascot named Buddy to bars dressed as a nug. Stuff like that is detrimental.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    brianlux said:

hedonist said:

Doing the math, that means you toked up before you turned 15! Got me beat by a year or two there (but I'm older-- nanner nanner!)
    14 here. 3 of us standing on a very busy street directly under a glowing street lamp, all huddled over a bowl.

we were fucking brilliant, I tells ya.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

brianlux said:

hedonist said:

14 here. 3 of us standing on a very busy street directly under a glowing street lamp, all huddled over a bowl.

Summer I turned 14 here. In our backyard by the pool, dusk, with my sister and her best friend. I even have a Polaroid (ha, talk about old-school) of having Visine put in my eyes after.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    hedonist said:

brianlux said:

hedonist said:

Summer I turned 14 here. In our backyard by the pool, dusk, with my sister and her best friend. I even have a Polaroid (ha, talk about old-school) of having Visine put in my eyes after.
    A Polaroid? How fashionable. Who would have thought that hedo is a closet hipster?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

hedonist said:

brianlux said:

hedonist said:

A Polaroid? How fashionable. Who would have thought that hedo is a closet hipster?
    :no_mouth:
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    rgambs said:

PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

It isn't though.
    In many cases, it is. In Ohio they sent out a mascot named Buddy to bars dressed as a nug. Stuff like that is detrimental.
    That maybe be silly, but it's definitely not hippy. ;)
    Anyway, I don't see why it matters. Everyone is aware of the issues that matter here, which is tax revenue and massive new domestic industry that will provide jobs and business opportunities, as well as seeing that those who feel that it helps them medically have free access to it. Some mascot in an Ohio bar doesn't matter. If anyone thinks it does, that is their problem and a demonstration of their own illogical biases, not that of the people who feel like advertising the cause in a fun way.
  • Options
    Question for those of us who were under aged (I was 16) when we used pot for the first time: How would you feel if your under-aged kid got high and you found out? Tough question!

• Options
    I don't have children, but if I did, I wouldn't feel bad about them having tried it and I'd be up front with them about my own experiences.

Pretty sure my niece and nephew indulged in their teens but my sister and BIL act like they've never touched the stuff themselves. Kind of silly, to me.

• Options
    brianlux said:

Question for those of us who were under aged (I was 16) when we used pot for the first time: How would you feel if your under-aged kid got high and you found out? Tough question!

I was 13.
    I don't have kids, but I have a good memory of being one. I actually wouldn't much mind if my kid was just using it occasionally in terms of them using it for recreation. I would be more worried about them doing something illegal and getting caught. So I would 100% discourage it for that reason. And even if it were legal, it wouldn't be for someone under the legal age. So I would discourage it obviously. And I would also be extremely concerned if they were using it a lot (like daily), or at school or whatever. A kid is too impressionable at that age - they shouldn't be developing while constantly high; it could mess them up in all kinds of various ways. I know I would feel a lot better about my kid smoking a bit of weed than I would about them drinking though, since drunk kids are fucking idiots. But at the end of the day, nobody is going to be able to stop a kid from doing either of these things if the kid wants to do it (and honestly, how many teenagers don't?? I don't even think it's normal for a kid to get through high school without drinking at some party or smoking a joint in the woods) .... The best parents can do is teach them about it all, and hopefully how to make good decisions for themselves. At least well enough so that they don't get into cars when people under the influence are driving, and so that they don't do crazy stupid shit like get high and then balance along a bridge railing or get into the back of some stranger's van because he offers a hit off a bong.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

I was 13.
    I don't have kids, but I have a good memory of being one. I actually wouldn't much mind if my kid was just using it occasionally in terms of them using it for recreation. I would be more worried about them doing something illegal and getting caught. So I would 100% discourage it for that reason. And even if it were legal, it wouldn't be for someone under the legal age. So I would discourage it obviously. And I would also be extremely concerned if they were using it a lot (like daily), or at school or whatever. A kid is too impressionable at that age - they shouldn't be developing while constantly high; it could mess them up in all kinds of various ways. I know I would feel a lot better about my kid smoking a bit of weed than I would about them drinking though, since drunk kids are fucking idiots. But at the end of the day, nobody is going to be able to stop a kid from doing either of these things if the kid wants to do it (and honestly, how many teenagers don't?? I don't even think it's normal for a kid to get through high school without drinking at some party or smoking a joint in the woods) .... The best parents can do is teach them about it all, and hopefully how to make good decisions for themselves. At least well enough so that they don't get into cars when people under the influence are driving, and so that they don't do crazy stupid shit like get high and then balance along a bridge railing or get into the back of some stranger's van because he offers a hit off a bong.
    Pretty much what I think as well. I especially like the part about being open with kids teaching them about making good decisions.

I think it would also depend on how mature the kid is at a certain age. Some kids mature faster and are less apt to do something stupid. If I had a kid and he or she got caught smoking pot at school or while driving, I would tell them that obviously they're not mature enough to at least not get caught or smoke and drive and that they should know better about where and when to do something like that.

This discussion has been closed.