Start another marijuana thread, please.

Comments

• Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

fife said:

PJ_Soul said:

Vancouver just approved it's second and third safe injection sites last week or so after many years of studying the first one (InSite), and I think I read the Toronto is finally approving one based on the success of the Vancouver model. They definitely work to save lives, reduce needle-share diseases, and help people access recovery.

that just blows me away, I'm not knocking it at all it's just the thought of the state providing a "safe injection site" what's next a "safe fencing operation" for home burglars ? LOL ! I just have a hard time imagining that, makes me think of how many over dose deaths happen at these sites ? and is that their way of controlling the drug addict population ?

Godfather.

Hey Godfather, you do ask a good question. recently, the Vancouver safe sites have noticed an increase in overdoes but none have resulted in deaths. if there were no injection sites, that would not have been the case, there would have been more deaths. reports say that the increase in overdoses were linked to the dangerous opioid fentanyl

a short true story if I may.. some friends of mine (back in 85 or so) were partying and decided to go get some heroin so they went down town in san diego to a guy who sold it, well one of them did a larger dose than usual and OD'd and well to make a long story short they all (3 or them) freaked out and demeaned to be taken home and the dumb-ass who was driving left the guy who O.D'd in his car over night and found him the next morning dead, these guy's...all of us had been friends since we were in Jr. High school and I got a call that morning from one of them telling me Dave died and I cursed all three of those fucking pussies and told them they killed Dave, they could of taken him to a hospital and run but they didn't and to this day I have very little respect for any of them...
    so anyway I learned that friends who are drug addicts are not them selves and not to be trusted, drugs change people and not for the better trust me, so anyway that's one reason I just don't get the safe injection sites.

Godfather.

Bummer, Godfather. No doubt those guys regret splitting on the guy.

First of all let me say this- I hate heroin. Never tried it, never will. But it's the drug that is horrible, not the users. If I said I hated all heroin users I would have to ditch half my record collection. The reason safe injection sites makes sense is so that users will NOT very likely OD and die. That's the whole point of making them safe sites. Users will use regardless. Unless we just don't care about these people and are willing to let them die, it makes sense to give them more safety. Along with that would also come more opportunities for recovery/ detox.
    true enough Amigo, you"re right and there's arguing that.
    you mentioned "record collection" I'm a record junkie myself LOL !

Godfather.

Excellent! Nothing like 'em! Like an idiot, I dumped a lot of records when CD's came out and had to spend years (and dollars!) rebuilding my collection.

And now look who is veering off topic! :lol:
    yeah I sold about 200+ of mine as well......mistake.

Godfather.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,507
    edited October 2016

brianlux said:

brianlux said:

fife said:

PJ_Soul said:

Vancouver just approved it's second and third safe injection sites last week or so after many years of studying the first one (InSite), and I think I read the Toronto is finally approving one based on the success of the Vancouver model. They definitely work to save lives, reduce needle-share diseases, and help people access recovery.

that just blows me away, I'm not knocking it at all it's just the thought of the state providing a "safe injection site" what's next a "safe fencing operation" for home burglars ? LOL ! I just have a hard time imagining that, makes me think of how many over dose deaths happen at these sites ? and is that their way of controlling the drug addict population ?

Godfather.

Hey Godfather, you do ask a good question. recently, the Vancouver safe sites have noticed an increase in overdoes but none have resulted in deaths. if there were no injection sites, that would not have been the case, there would have been more deaths. reports say that the increase in overdoses were linked to the dangerous opioid fentanyl

a short true story if I may.. some friends of mine (back in 85 or so) were partying and decided to go get some heroin so they went down town in san diego to a guy who sold it, well one of them did a larger dose than usual and OD'd and well to make a long story short they all (3 or them) freaked out and demeaned to be taken home and the dumb-ass who was driving left the guy who O.D'd in his car over night and found him the next morning dead, these guy's...all of us had been friends since we were in Jr. High school and I got a call that morning from one of them telling me Dave died and I cursed all three of those fucking pussies and told them they killed Dave, they could of taken him to a hospital and run but they didn't and to this day I have very little respect for any of them...
    so anyway I learned that friends who are drug addicts are not them selves and not to be trusted, drugs change people and not for the better trust me, so anyway that's one reason I just don't get the safe injection sites.

Godfather.

Bummer, Godfather. No doubt those guys regret splitting on the guy.

First of all let me say this- I hate heroin. Never tried it, never will. But it's the drug that is horrible, not the users. If I said I hated all heroin users I would have to ditch half my record collection. The reason safe injection sites makes sense is so that users will NOT very likely OD and die. That's the whole point of making them safe sites. Users will use regardless. Unless we just don't care about these people and are willing to let them die, it makes sense to give them more safety. Along with that would also come more opportunities for recovery/ detox.
    true enough Amigo, you"re right and there's arguing that.
    you mentioned "record collection" I'm a record junkie myself LOL !

Godfather.

Excellent! Nothing like 'em! Like an idiot, I dumped a lot of records when CD's came out and had to spend years (and dollars!) rebuilding my collection.

And now look who is veering off topic! :lol:
    yeah I sold about 200+ of mine as well......mistake.

Godfather.

Abandoning records for cassette tapes and then CDs was the stupidest thing I have ever done. Okay, I was only about 12 at the time, but still.... I hate to think about all those records I would have bought for all those years, if only I hadn't chosen portability over awesomeness and quality. Stupid Sony and their Walkman, lol. I wish I'd just forced myself to be content with the radio outside of the house. Stupid shitty radio, lol. If they had been better maybe I'd still have the greatest vinyl collection in the city by now. :tongue:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Looks like the cops in Massachusetts are doing what they can while they can, before MA legalizes weed. What a bunch of assholes. Swooping in with a military style helicopter, big show of force, all for a single plant being grown and used by a little old lady with glaucoma. Great use of taxpayer money!

Raid! National Guard, State Police descend on 81-year-old’s property to seize single pot plant

Cutler said it’s likely that authorities are using budgeted funds, prior to the end of the federal fiscal year Saturday, to gas up helicopters and do flyovers.

“We’re seeing the last throes of police hostility to the changing laws,” Cutler said. “They’re taking the position that if it’s in plain view, it’s somehow illegal.”
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    edited October 2016
    The citizens shouldn't stand for that. They should protest until whoever was responsible for that bullshit is fired or resigns, seriously. Start a witch hunt for the person ultimately responsible, use the media the fuel it. Imagine choosing to use up a surplus like that! Surely they could have used it for some sort of good! How about some extra training on how to handle people with mental illness or something???
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    jeffbr said:

Looks like the cops in Massachusetts are doing what they can while they can, before MA legalizes weed. What a bunch of assholes. Swooping in with a military style helicopter, big show of force, all for a single plant being grown and used by a little old lady with glaucoma. Great use of taxpayer money!

Raid! National Guard, State Police descend on 81-year-old’s property to seize single pot plant

Cutler said it’s likely that authorities are using budgeted funds, prior to the end of the federal fiscal year Saturday, to gas up helicopters and do flyovers.

“We’re seeing the last throes of police hostility to the changing laws,” Cutler said. “They’re taking the position that if it’s in plain view, it’s somehow illegal.”
    Perfect... their idiotic actions helps prove the point... bravo
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    my2hands said:

jeffbr said:

Good point!

I hope the woman who was harassed in such a ridiculous manner is getting lots of support... and a little herb tucked under her door mat!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• fifefife Posts: 3,327
    While this is a stupid use of funding look at the bigger picture. How much do we spend on the war on drugs.
    fife said:

While this is a stupid use of funding look at the bigger picture. How much do we spend on the war on drugs.

In my life time? Enough to end poverty in the U.S. and probably many other places. In 2010 alone the U.S. spend $15 billion dollars on the war on drugs. Fifteen fuckin' billion.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,607
    my2hands said:

jeffbr said:

Hey, it's just a few bad apples!
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    I'm curious about the opinions of those posting in this thread about the strength of the evidence of medicinal marijuana's efficacy for different medical conditions. What do people thinks/believe about this? Do you think the evidence is good, fair, poor? Do people view the state of the evidence as important, or irrelevant?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

I'm curious about the opinions of those posting in this thread about the strength of the evidence of medicinal marijuana's efficacy for different medical conditions. What do people thinks/believe about this? Do you think the evidence is good, fair, poor? Do people view the state of the evidence as important, or irrelevant?

I think the state of evidence is fair. There are a million anecdotal stories about people treating various medical issues with marijuana. And there are some pretty clear demonstrations of its effectiveness in mitigating seizures, helping with nausea, and reducing the effects of chronic pain. But I only say "fair" because of the goddamned federal government keeping the drug listed as a schedule 1, and making testing and studies very difficult. I'd like to see many more actual scientific, peer reviewed studies done.

Is the state of evidence important? I think so. Until we can move beyond the fear and reefer madness mentality, it remains legally difficult or dangerous for some to use, and the moral crusaders who only see it as an evil weed will continue to block its use for people who could certainly benefit. I'm really mostly recreational, so I am happy to enjoy it in the evenings much like I enjoy a beer, or glass of wine, or a bourbon. Whether or not it has medicinal benefits should be irrelevant in the legalization battle as long as alcohol, caffeine and nicotine are legal drugs, so I don't necessarily need medical studies to argue for legalization, but having definitive scientific proof of its efficacy certainly would strengthen any arguments for legalization.
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327

one of the challenges while looking at evidence is that there is a lack due to funding of studies. however, from all the evidence i have read which is quite a lot i think it is better then good. far better than good. evidence is very important as we are dealing with health issues and you always want to make sure that the drugs that people are using are good. for me and alot of professionals i work with, marijuna is one of the best drugs that they know about for many medical issues.

I have a medical card, and while of course I use it as a form of recreation too, it also does help me medically, and I have read enough about real life cases where the medical benefits are clear. Forget about studies by doctors, etc. Just look at the before and after for patients who start using it, i.e. multiple seizures a day to no seizures a day once they started using medical marijuana. That is proof to me - good evidence (on top of the fact that I use it medically and it helps me). But in the end, no, I don't find proof very relevant in a practical sense, since it should be available for all kinds of use. I don't think medical efficacy should be a part of the legalization puzzle at all.
    Hopefully this incident, which is obviously ridiculous, helps paint the picture to the voters in November of what's on the ballot...
    http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2016/10/17/ohio-mom-allegedly-finds-deep-fried-marijuana-in-daughters-wendys-french-fries/

sooooo a little weed or a oil soaked potato sliver ? even I have to admit the kid might have been better off with the weed LOL !!!!
    stoned at work is never good especially if you work in the food service industry.

Godfather.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2016/10/17/ohio-mom-allegedly-finds-deep-fried-marijuana-in-daughters-wendys-french-fries/

sooooo a little weed or a oil soaked potato sliver ? even I have to admit the kid might have been better off with the weed LOL !!!!
    stoned at work is never good especially if you work in the food service industry.

Godfather.

Here's the deal, GF, it's easier to cut a square when you're stoned than it is a circle. Thus:

brianlux said:

Godfather.

Here's the deal, GF, it's easier to cut a square when you're stoned than it is a circle. Thus:

LOL !!!!! agreed !

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,278
    Every citizen should be allowed to grow for personal use not saying grow to make $ but for personal use that is what I do , my harvest keeps me supplied all yr round no need to be spending $ on it anymore , let people grow would get rid of most of dealers selling for really high prices ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    There's a part of me that believes marijuana should neither be legal nor illegal. I mean, how do you impart a human constructed law on a plant? It's A PLANT! What next? Will we make the sun legal or illegal???

• lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    brianlux said:

There's a part of me that believes marijuana should neither be legal nor illegal. I mean, how do you impart a human constructed law on a plant? It's A PLANT! What next? Will we make the sun legal or illegal???

You raise an excellent, I remember reading a few years back why big pharma has no interest in it and continues to lobby to keep the plant illegal is because they can not patten THC or the plant ... maybe this is true, seems to make sense. Wonder if dandelions will eventually be illegal, they are finding plenty of health benefits in dandelions as well...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    lukin2006 said:

brianlux said:

You raise an excellent, I remember reading a few years back why big pharma has no interest in it and continues to lobby to keep the plant illegal is because they can not patten THC or the plant ... maybe this is true, seems to make sense. Wonder if dandelions will eventually be illegal, they are finding plenty of health benefits in dandelions as well...
    Wouldn't be surprised, Lukin. In fact, wasn't there an effort a while back to make vitamins difficult to purchase? I heard that from a woman who pretty much believes any conspiracy she hears so it might have just been bunk.

brianlux said:

lukin2006 said:

brianlux said:

Wouldn't be surprised, Lukin. In fact, wasn't there an effort a while back to make vitamins difficult to purchase? I heard that from a woman who pretty much believes any conspiracy she hears so it might have just been bunk.
    I'm not sure about vitamins, wouldn't surprise me though...

I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• THE LOOKTHE LOOK Posts: 324
    I don't partake but I support the legalization of marijuana 100%! It seems like many problems could be solved with legalization! Keep up the good fight!
    Bigfoot is blurry.
    - Mitch Hedberg
    THE LOOK said:

I don't partake but I support the legalization of marijuana 100%! It seems like many problems could be solved with legalization! Keep up the good fight!

Just think how much money could be saved just legalizing it and ending this silly war on drugs, especially the war on those who just partake in using ... just ridiculous...

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    edited October 2016
    lukin2006 said:

THE LOOK said:

Just think how much money could be saved just legalizing it and ending this silly war on drugs, especially the war on those who just partake in using ... just ridiculous...
    And make plenty of room for those who deserve to serve serious time.

And clear up court dockets for those who deserve to be tried for horrific acts.

God knows it helps with my back shit, but it's also really nice to be buzzed and laughing my ass off at the Hamptons episode of Seinfeld right now.

"maybe she's trying to create a buzz" right as I wrote that. You can't make this up =)

*Apparently extra edits are required. Ha!
    Post edited by hedonist on
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,151
    i believe we shall.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    It would be nice to have some national leadership for this movement, but we're not going to get that with Obama, Clinton or Trump. They'll follow along afterward to proclaim their support, but only once it is a "safe" issue. Luckily there is too much momentum at this point for the feds to stop it. It is refreshing to see the will of the people win out over the feds.

Good luck to AZ, CA, ME, NV & MA on your recreational MJ initiatives!
    Good luck to AR, FL, MT & ND on your medical MJ initiatives!
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,151
    jeffbr said:

It would be nice to have some national leadership for this movement, but we're not going to get that with Obama, Clinton or Trump. They'll follow along afterward to proclaim their support, but only once it is a "safe" issue. Luckily there is too much momentum at this point for the feds to stop it. It is refreshing to see the will of the people win out over the feds.

i think it kind of hurts the movement when the only candidate running on the issue is gary johnson.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."

jeffbr said:

i think it kind of hurts the movement when the only candidate running on the issue is gary johnson.
    Totally agree. The issue is much larger than just letting people toke up. It really goes to federal power, police power, illogical DEA classification of the plant, massive amount of $$$ spend on the war on drugs, overcrowded prisons filled with non-violent MJ offenders (at least Obama is helping lower these numbers with his pardons), crusaders legislating their narrow-minded morality, ignoring the will of the people in order to keep power and authority, power of big pharma lobbying, etc... It would be refreshing to see a major party national candidate grow a pair and run with this one.
    jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

Totally agree. The issue is much larger than just letting people toke up. It really goes to federal power, police power, illogical DEA classification of the plant, massive amount of $$$ spend on the war on drugs, overcrowded prisons filled with non-violent MJ offenders (at least Obama is helping lower these numbers with his pardons), crusaders legislating their narrow-minded morality, ignoring the will of the people in order to keep power and authority, power of big pharma lobbying, etc... It would be refreshing to see a major party national candidate grow a pair and run with this one.
    Preach it brother
This discussion has been closed.