Options

Start another marijuana thread, please.

Comments

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Question for Cali folks... when do recreational sales begin?
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,815

ya'll want another wave to ponder?
    all of canada. every province, from shore to shore, will have legal rec cannabis in early 2017

Proposed, yes; you're getting a little bit ahead of yourself since there are probably still hurdles but I'm sure we'll get there at some point. And thumbs up for that, so we can get away from the current sham of our "medicinal marijuana" program.
    Well, when your pm all but promises it, i have every confidence it will be a reality. But our agreement with the UN is a major hurdle.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Well, when your pm all but promises it, i have every confidence it will be a reality. But our agreement with the UN is a major hurdle.

what did the UN say when 1/5 of all americans just went GREEN LIGHT GO with rec cannabis? nothing is my guess. ;)
  • Options

what did the UN say when 1/5 of all americans just went GREEN LIGHT GO with rec cannabis? nothing is my guess. ;)
    Federal regulation is a different story. The US federal government still has it classified as an illegal drug.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    got cha. but i still bet the un wont say boo to canada. the war on cannabis has failed x10. putting people in jail for cannabis is insane, giving them criminal records is crazy as well, and everyone knows this, times have changed. even the un has got to face reality sooner or later. the wave has started and it is obviously picking up momentum and that's not even mentioning all the other countries that have softened and even made cannabis legal/decriminalized already. the dayz of reefer madness are over. this is not a big issue with the un is my guess. they have much bigger problems these days.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    Denver now lets you smoke pot in restaurants and bars ... but I bet if you tried to smoke tobacco you would be tackled and fined.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822

got cha. but i still bet the un wont say boo to canada. the war on cannabis has failed x10. putting people in jail for cannabis is insane, giving them criminal records is crazy as well, and everyone knows this, times have changed. even the un has got to face reality sooner or later. the wave has started and it is obviously picking up momentum and that's not even mentioning all the other countries that have softened and even made cannabis legal/decriminalized already. the dayz of reefer madness are over. this is not a big issue with the un is my guess. they have much bigger problems these days.

There aren't actually a lot of countries that have moved to legalize or decriminalize, and the distinction is important anyway. Portugal decriminalized, for a variety of reasons, one of which was also being a signatory to the UN agreement. Their decriminalization structure does not contravene that document. The Netherlands have neither legalized or decriminalzed, contrary to popular opinion; they simply officially tolerate small (very small) quantities of marijuana. Uruguay is pretty much the only country that has federally completely legalized. I think they are basically just ignoring the UN and I don't think there have been any repercussions but I could be wrong. Is the UN more likely to respond as more countries legalize, or will they accept the direction the world is going? And what approach will Canada take - options are to try to renegotiate the agreement, drop out, or ignore the issue and hope it goes away. Those are some of the unknowns at this point.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    I can't see dropping out of the UN just so we can smoke weed. that would be epic though.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    Wtf is the UN's problem, anyway? Jesus, get with the times UN.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

There aren't actually a lot of countries that have moved to legalize or decriminalize, and the distinction is important anyway. Portugal decriminalized, for a variety of reasons, one of which was also being a signatory to the UN agreement. Their decriminalization structure does not contravene that document. The Netherlands have neither legalized or decriminalzed, contrary to popular opinion; they simply officially tolerate small (very small) quantities of marijuana. Uruguay is pretty much the only country that has federally completely legalized. I think they are basically just ignoring the UN and I don't think there have been any repercussions but I could be wrong. Is the UN more likely to respond as more countries legalize, or will they accept the direction the world is going? And what approach will Canada take - options are to try to renegotiate the agreement, drop out, or ignore the issue and hope it goes away. Those are some of the unknowns at this point.
    I'd just ignore the UN at this point. Much like states in the U.S. are ignoring the feds. I can't imagine any negative actions would be taken against Canada. I would imagine the US would simply veto any proposed sanctions.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    I imagine we will just ignore the accord, too. It will probably be quite some time before it's updated since there are at the least dozens of signatories (hundreds?) and most of them are still firmly pro-criminalization.

And we would really cement our world image as stoners if we dropped out of the UN on those grounds.
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    with all the people here dropping dead from K2 and other synthetic pot Missouri needs to get on board with legalizing marijuana, as well as the rest of the country

this coming from someone that doesn't even smoke pot anymore
  • Options
    what the hell is synthetic pot? I'd look it up but I really don't want to google search that while at work. :pensive:
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818

what the hell is synthetic pot? I'd look it up but I really don't want to google search that while at work. :pensive:

Synthetic cannabinoids are designer drugs that are chemically different from the chemicals in cannabis but which are sold with claims that they give the effects of cannabis. When these chemicals are sprayed or otherwise soaked into a base material which is often plant-based, then the plant with chemicals is sometimes misleadingly called synthetic marijuana.[1] These products are sold for recreational drug use.[1]

There are several psychoactive artificial cannabinoid families (e.g. AM-xxx, HU-xxx, JWH-xxx, CP xx) that are sold under brand names like K2[2] and Spice,[3] both of which are now used as generic terms used for any synthetic cannabinoid product.

When synthetic cannabinoid blends first went on sale in the early 2000s, it was thought that they achieved an effect through a mixture of natural herbs. Laboratory analysis in 2008 showed that this was not the case, and that they in fact contain synthetic cannabinoids that act on the body in a similar way to cannabinoids naturally found in cannabis, such as THC. A large and complex variety of synthetic cannabinoids, most often cannabicyclohexanol, JWH-018, JWH-073, or HU-210, are used in an attempt to avoid the laws that make cannabis illegal, making synthetic cannabinoid a designer drug. They have been sold under various brand names, online, in head shops, and other stores. Studies have associated synthetic cannabinoid use with psychotic episodes days after use, some of which have resulted in death.[4]

They are often marketed as herbal incense or "herbal smoking blends", and the products are usually consumed through smoking. Although synthetic cannabinoids may not produce positive results in drug tests for cannabis, it is possible to detect their metabolites in human urine. The synthetic cannabinoids contained in these products have been made illegal in many countries.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515

Fentanyl is showing up in weed now too. I am definitely glad I buy from a dispensary now. I wouldn't dare buy from a dealer at this point.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Fentanyl is showing up in weed now too. I am definitely glad I buy from a dispensary now. I wouldn't dare buy from a dealer at this point.
    fuck. i'm scared to smoke mine now. i smoked some of mine. if some of it was contaminated, would all of it be? basically what i'm asking is, if i bought 2.5 grams of bud that was still intact, and smoked some, is it reasonable to believe the rest of it is safe?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    i don't get why dealers would want to sell their customers a drug that might kill them on first try. no return customers doesn't make for very good business.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

PJ_Soul said:

fuck. i'm scared to smoke mine now. i smoked some of mine. if some of it was contaminated, would all of it be? basically what i'm asking is, if i bought 2.5 grams of bud that was still intact, and smoked some, is it reasonable to believe the rest of it is safe?
    Not on those grounds. Quality control, shall we say, is poor with these guys. They are not too fussed about even distribution.

Which is one of the reasons why the fake pills sold on the street are so dangerous; the drug is not evenly mixed into the carrier compound.
  • Options
    so should i be concerned?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,422
    PJ_Soul said:

I might need to move to Vancouver.
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045

No
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    chiwhitesoxchiwhitesox Chicago Posts: 696

Yes! I'll swing up to Winnipeg this weekend to take it off your hands.
    - Chicago G

chicago98-chicago00-chicago03-east troy03-chicago06-chicago09-east troy11_2-chicago13-moline14-milwaukee14-lexington16-chicago16_1-chicago16_2-chicago18_1-chicago18_2
  • Options

Yes! I'll swing up to Winnipeg this weekend to take it off your hands.
    :lol:
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

I wouldn't be. I think it would be highly unlikely that you'd come across laced weed, especially if you have a regular hookup. If you were living next to a dumpster somewhere and buying whatever you could get your hands on your risk might increase, but no weed dealer would be knowingly dosing his weed customers with fentanyl.

Here are a couple of articles I've read about the issue. I think the abolitionists are making a bigger deal out of it than it is.

http://infotel.ca/newsitem/warnings-about-fentanyl-laced-marijuana-in-the-southern-interior/it22094 - "We have people smoking stuff saying this feels different. We don’t really have confirmation that we have a death associated with marijuana and fentanyl," he says.

http://www.news1130.com/2016/11/17/advocates-experts-say-pot-not-laced-fentanyl-despite-reports/ - "Pot activist Jodie Emery says she hasn’t heard of anyone finding they’ve smoked fentanyl-laced marijuana. She says doing that would be bad for business. “Marijuana sellers, like any commercial product seller, want to have a happy customer base and they want clients who come back. No cannabis seller who’s decent would sell a dangerous, laced marijuana joint or bag of weed. it doesn’t benefit them to harm their customers.”
  • Options
    jeffbr said:

I wouldn't be. I think it would be highly unlikely that you'd come across laced weed, especially if you have a regular hookup. If you were living next to a dumpster somewhere and buying whatever you could get your hands on your risk might increase, but no weed dealer would be knowingly dosing his weed customers with fentanyl.

Here are a couple of articles I've read about the issue. I think the abolitionists are making a bigger deal out of it than it is.

http://infotel.ca/newsitem/warnings-about-fentanyl-laced-marijuana-in-the-southern-interior/it22094 - "We have people smoking stuff saying this feels different. We don’t really have confirmation that we have a death associated with marijuana and fentanyl," he says.

http://www.news1130.com/2016/11/17/advocates-experts-say-pot-not-laced-fentanyl-despite-reports/ - "Pot activist Jodie Emery says she hasn’t heard of anyone finding they’ve smoked fentanyl-laced marijuana. She says doing that would be bad for business. “Marijuana sellers, like any commercial product seller, want to have a happy customer base and they want clients who come back. No cannabis seller who’s decent would sell a dangerous, laced marijuana joint or bag of weed. it doesn’t benefit them to harm their customers.”
    at any rate, I told my wife about it, so if she finds me not breathing and unresponsive, it's not a Dorito overdose.

Thanks for the facts, folks! I did some research last night and found the same stuff, so I think it's all good.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    jeffbr said:

you know what's funny? the guy I buy from drives a potato chip truck. he GETS FREE CHIPS. and he is constantly high. that's like winning the lottery.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

jeffbr said:

you know what's funny? the guy I buy from drives a potato chip truck. he GETS FREE CHIPS. and he is constantly high. that's like winning the lottery.
    :lol: If you can get the same guy to be your weed and Doritos hookup, you're set! One stop shopping.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    Anyone consider that Trump may put federal heat back on pot?
  • Options
    Honestly, HFD, I think you're fine, particularly if you have a source you trust, but if Emory thinks that fentanyl laced drugs is just a scare story made up by "abolitionists " she's completely out of touch with reality. People are overdosing by the hundreds, and deaths are way, way up, among people who never intended to use fentanyl. Sometimes they never intended to use an opiate at all. There's no question that other drugs are being laced with all sorts of shit; a recent study out of the SIS in Vancouver found almost 90% of drugs handed over for testing contained fentanyl. That's laboratory confirmed. So yeah, your pot is likely okay; you're not in the downtown east side. But minimizing this issue really burns me. I know people who have died. There is no honour among rhese dealers.
  • Options
    And the profit margin argument sounds reasonable but doesn't appear to be how it actually works, so take that with a grain of salt.
This discussion has been closed.