Start another marijuana thread, please.

Comments

• Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

....and maybe not, but people who like to get high will and that's none of my business and once I retire it'll be me a beer and a hooter
    on the couch ! LOL !!!! probably not but it sure sounds good.

Godfather.

What's a hooter?
    what's a hooter ????? wow am I that old LOL !!!! it's what we called joints in So. Cal. during the late 70's and 80's

Godfather.

Lol! Pretty sure my first doob was in 1989, so yeah, never heard of it. You take a hoot off a joint or pipe, but never heard a joint called a hooter. I thought you meant some kind of sex pot girl or something, because if Hooters! I asked though, before accusing you of being a dirty old man. :lol:
    HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHA, I have this one friend who yelled "HOOTIE WHOOOOO" every time we sparked one up...guess you had to be there to really understand the humor of it.

Godfather.

• fifefife Posts: 3,327
    pjalive21 said:

legalize pot so many useful purposes, as far as the harder stuff hell no keep it illegal...ill admit ive dabbled in the nose candy recreationally and have zero problems but nowadays you never know what you're getting when you have mans hands in the stuff

look at the new heroin that is on the streets it has some animal drug in it and its killing people because you aren't supposed to dose it so high but they aren't being told this and are dropping like flies...lets just hope that Krokodile shit don't end up here causing issues like the fake synthetic stuff

alcohol I think tops them all in people developing an addiction or alcohol related problems and issues in life don't hear many problems with people and weed

while i agree about not knowing what is in drug now a days, i do believe that if you legalize drugs and had safe places for people that do use you will have lower rates of overdoses. Toronto canada just approved opening 3 safe injection sites which have been successful in Vancouver Canada.
    you will have less people going to these sites if they are afraid of being arrested (which is a major issue in America) by legalize all drug and spending some of that money saved from arrested and putting substance user in jail on education will create a better solution and will save america more money

incase people are interested here is how safe injection sites work.

http://tvo.org/article/current-affairs/shared-values/how-safe-injection-sites-really-work
    brianlux said:

fife said:
    That seems to me like a smart move.

Any word on how that's working out over there?
    sorry it took me a while to respond to this>

http://www.techinsider.io/what-happened-when-portugal-decriminalized-all-drugs-2016-3
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    edited September 2016
    Post edited by Bentleyspop on
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    fife said:

brianlux said:

fife said:

http://www.techinsider.io/what-happened-when-portugal-decriminalized-all-drugs-2016-3
    Thanks for the link. The article points out the benefits of legalization in Portugal:

• Drug-related HIV infections have plummeted by over 90% since 2001, according to the drug policy think tank Transform.

• Drug-related deaths in Portugal are the second-lowest in the European Union. Just 3 in a million people die of overdoses there, compared with the EU average of 17.3 per million.

• The number of adults who have done drugs in the past year has decreased steadily since 2001.

• Compared to rest of the EU, young people in Portugal now use the least amount of "legal high" drugs like synthetic marijuana, which are especially dangerous.

• The percentage of drug-related offenders in Portuguese prisons fell from 44% in 1999 to 21% in 2012.

• The number of people in drug treatment increased 60% from 1998 to 2011, from 23,600 to 38,000.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

my favorite quote concerning Portugal drug policy:

The biggest effect has been to allow the stigma of
    drug addiction to fall, to let people speak clearly
    and to pursue professional help without fear.”

Dr. João Goulão, Portugal’s “Drug Czar”
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

"it could make you socially inept and poor". that is such a ridiculous statement it completely discredits anything else said in the article. most of those points are, as weddingparade said, suppositions anyway.
    I have no idea how factual that stuff is but I bet we can all name at least one friend who moved up the ladder of progression a little slower than the rest because they were stoned all the time, some folks can function with life and responsibilities after a B load in the morning...(me not so much LOL !) and became successful in life so I guess it just depends on the individual.

Godfather.
    yes, absolutely. the losers I know from high school who did drugs all the time weren't losers because of the drugs, they were just bad at life. I know many successful people who use casually and some even regularly.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    brianlux said:

fife said:

brianlux said:

fife said:

Thanks for the link. The article points out the benefits of legalization in Portugal:

• Drug-related HIV infections have plummeted by over 90% since 2001, according to the drug policy think tank Transform.

• Drug-related deaths in Portugal are the second-lowest in the European Union. Just 3 in a million people die of overdoses there, compared with the EU average of 17.3 per million.

• The number of adults who have done drugs in the past year has decreased steadily since 2001.

• Compared to rest of the EU, young people in Portugal now use the least amount of "legal high" drugs like synthetic marijuana, which are especially dangerous.

• The percentage of drug-related offenders in Portuguese prisons fell from 44% in 1999 to 21% in 2012.

• The number of people in drug treatment increased 60% from 1998 to 2011, from 23,600 to 38,000.
    it is just astounding that in the west we continue to ignore all the research and the factual evidence of other more progressive countries because of, just that, being progressive. we continue to let people die in the streets instead of saving them in a bed.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

brianlux said:

fife said:

brianlux said:

fife said:

it is just astounding that in the west we continue to ignore all the research and the factual evidence of other more progressive countries because of, just that, being progressive. we continue to let people die in the streets instead of saving them in a bed.
    :clap: Well said.

Seattle is currently trying to figure this out, and may become the first place in the US with safe-use sites for shooting up. I think that would be a great first step toward getting help for these people.

Heroin, cocaine users in Seattle may get country’s first safe-use site
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08

brianlux said:

fife said:

brianlux said:

fife said:

I think part of the west is getting there. when i first started working at my job, my clients were heavy substance users ranging from heroin to crack to crystal meth and it was hell going with them for services that they needed because programs didn't know how to deal with them. that is getting better a bit know. i am glad that Canada has been progressing to more of a harm reduction model but we still have alot of more work to do.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited September 2016
    Vancouver just approved it's second and third safe injection sites last week or so after many years of studying the first one (InSite), and I think I read the Toronto is finally approving one based on the success of the Vancouver model. They definitely work to save lives, reduce needle-share diseases, and help people access recovery.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

Vancouver just approved it's second and third safe injection sites last week or so after many years of studying the first one (InSite), and I think I read the Toronto is finally approving one based on the success of the Vancouver model. They definitely work to save lives, reduce needle-share diseases, and help people access recovery.

Toronto just approved 3 SIS. very happy about that and I am glad that there are proposing that they be spread out in the city. I find that sometimes Toronto is too downtown central for these types of services.
    jeffbr said:

brianlux said:

fife said:

brianlux said:

fife said:

:clap: Well said.

Seattle is currently trying to figure this out, and may become the first place in the US with safe-use sites for shooting up. I think that would be a great first step toward getting help for these people.

Heroin, cocaine users in Seattle may get country’s first safe-use site
    thats amazing and so long overdue.
    fife said:

PJ_Soul said:

Toronto just approved 3 SIS. very happy about that and I am glad that there are proposing that they be spread out in the city. I find that sometimes Toronto is too downtown central for these types of services.
    Oh, that's great. Sounds like they are going "all in".
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Marijuana slang is the best, hands down.
    In what other vernacular do you get the opportunity to buffalo-lung a hogleg, burn some hippy lettuce, blaze some wacky backy, do a dabba dabba doob, puff some kine bud, or poke at some primo.
    In Brazil they call the munchies "la rica" which translates to "the rich", and a joint is called a "beck".

In the Midwest, at least, younger generations call an eighth of an ounce a "track", and call premium quality "dro". Short for hydroponic, I'm sure, but many don't know why it's called that.

In Colorado, things have taken a more sophisticated turn, with bud being called flower and hashes, oils, being called concentrates. The days of "space cakes" have given way to edibles.
    Times they are a changin'!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    PJ_Soul said:

fife said:

PJ_Soul said:

Oh, that's great. Sounds like they are going "all in".
    hopefully, it should have been done along time ago. now we need a harm reduction policy for the whole country
    PJ_Soul said:

that just blows me away, I'm not knocking it at all it's just the thought of the state providing a "safe injection site" what's next a "safe fencing operation" for home burglars ? LOL ! I just have a hard time imagining that, makes me think of how many over dose deaths happen at these sites ? and is that their way of controlling the drug addict population ?

Godfather.

• jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    rgambs said:

Marijuana slang is the best, hands down.
    In what other vernacular do you get the opportunity to buffalo-lung a hogleg, burn some hippy lettuce, blaze some wacky backy, do a dabba dabba doob, puff some kine bud, or poke at some primo.
    In Brazil they call the munchies "la rica" which translates to "the rich", and a joint is called a "beck".

In the Midwest, at least, younger generations call an eighth of an ounce a "track", and call premium quality "dro". Short for hydroponic, I'm sure, but many don't know why it's called that.

In Colorado, things have taken a more sophisticated turn, with bud being called flower and hashes, oils, being called concentrates. The days of "space cakes" have given way to edibles.
    Times they are a changin'!

That Colorado terminology is here in Washington as well with flowers and concentrates and edibles.
    I remember in the 70's we'd buy lids. Nobody gave a shit about scales, and precise weight measurements.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    edited September 2016

PJ_Soul said:

that just blows me away, I'm not knocking it at all it's just the thought of the state providing a "safe injection site" what's next a "safe fencing operation" for home burglars ? LOL ! I just have a hard time imagining that, makes me think of how many over dose deaths happen at these sites ? and is that their way of controlling the drug addict population ?

Godfather.

The main purpose of these sites is to prevent OD deaths and make sure everyone is as safe as possible. I'm not sure anyone has ever died of an overdose at the safe injection site because there is always someone there to save them the second it happens. I am not sure what you're picturing here... are you imagining like a "free zone" where they can just shoot up without being bothered by police? Because these are organized buildings where people go and sit at tables, and are provided clean needles in clean, brightly lit rooms that are fully monitored by counsellors and those trained to immediately deal with over doses and provide information for those ready to seek recovery, along with other resource information that is helpful to them.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on

PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

Hey Godfather, you do ask a good question. recently, the Vancouver safe sites have noticed an increase in overdoes but none have resulted in deaths. if there were no injection sites, that would not have been the case, there would have been more deaths. reports say that the increase in overdoses were linked to the dangerous opioid fentanyl

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

The main purpose of these sites is to prevent OD deaths and make sure everyone is as safe as possible. I am not sure what you're picturing here... are you imagining like a "free zone" where they can shoot up without being bothered by police? Because these are organized buildings where people go and sit at tables, and are provided clean needles in clean, brightly lit rooms that are fully monitored by counsellors and those trained to immediately deal with over doses and provide information for those ready to seek recovery, along with other resource information that is helpful to them.
    I remember going to Vancouver about 5 years ago and going to the insite and it was amazing. made me very proud for some strange reason
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I'm all for safe injection site's, I think all drugs should be legal, however lets first get pot legal worldwide, because we are a long ways off from pot legalization everywhere...pot laws are based on complete bullshit and big pharma. The same fucking people telling us we can't do pot are same fuckers downing scotch every night, hope they are smoking a joint though, saw a study where early research indicated pot can protect heavy drinkers livers....hmmm. Yeah real harmful
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    lukin2006 said:

I'm all for safe injection site's, I think all drugs should be legal, however lets first get pot legal worldwide, because we are a long ways off from pot legalization everywhere...pot laws are based on complete bullshit and big pharma. The same fucking people telling us we can't do pot are same fuckers downing scotch every night, hope they are smoking a joint though, saw a study where early research indicated pot can protect heavy drinkers livers....hmmm. Yeah real harmful

to be honest, i sometimes forget that pot is still illegal in so many places.
    lukin2006 said:

Can I ask why we can't make all drugs legal all at once? Considering that crack and meth users face more hardships from the police than say pot smokers?
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    fife said:

lukin2006 said:

Can I ask why we can't make all drugs legal all at once? Considering that crack and meth users face more hardships from the police than say pot smokers?
    For me I'd rather focus on what realistically we could hope for, I think weed is really close to being legal here in Canada, that's a major step. Then for me how would the police be able to properly assess for so many different drugs coming online all at once, there'd have to be some sort of test that could determine if someone is the impaired for so many different toxins, probably need to develope a roadside blood test that police can administer...I'm not really sure how they'd check, there still working on some sort of way to check for pot impairment before they proceed with legalization...baby steps, I say.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    edited October 2016
    fife said:

PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

Hey Godfather, you do ask a good question. recently, the Vancouver safe sites have noticed an increase in overdoes but none have resulted in deaths. if there were no injection sites, that would not have been the case, there would have been more deaths. reports say that the increase in overdoses were linked to the dangerous opioid fentanyl

Godfather.

Post edited by Godfather. on
    but...if these injection sites are helping save lives then cool, I just can't wrap around the idea.

Godfather.

fife said:

PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

a short true story if I may.. some friends of mine (back in 85 or so) were partying and decided to go get some heroin so they went down town in san diego to a guy who sold it, well one of them did a larger dose than usual and OD'd and well to make a long story short they all (3 or them) freaked out and demeaned to be taken home and the dumb-ass who was driving left the guy who O.D'd in his car over night and found him the next morning dead, these guy's...all of us had been friends since we were in Jr. High school and I got a call that morning from one of them telling me Dave died and I cursed all three of those fucking pussies and told them they killed Dave, they could of taken him to a hospital and run but they didn't and to this day I have very little respect for any of them...
    so anyway I learned that friends who are drug addicts are not them selves and not to be trusted, drugs change people and not for the better trust me, so anyway that's one reason I just don't get the safe injection sites.

Godfather.

Bummer, Godfather. No doubt those guys regret splitting on the guy.

First of all let me say this- I hate heroin. Never tried it, never will. But it's the drug that is horrible, not the users. If I said I hated all heroin users I would have to ditch half my record collection. The reason safe injection sites makes sense is so that users will NOT very likely OD and die. That's the whole point of making them safe sites. Users will use regardless. Unless we just don't care about these people and are willing to let them die, it makes sense to give them more safety. Along with that would also come more opportunities for recovery/ detox.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

edited October 2016
    brianlux said:

fife said:

PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

a short true story if I may.. some friends of mine (back in 85 or so) were partying and decided to go get some heroin so they went down town in san diego to a guy who sold it, well one of them did a larger dose than usual and OD'd and well to make a long story short they all (3 or them) freaked out and demeaned to be taken home and the dumb-ass who was driving left the guy who O.D'd in his car over night and found him the next morning dead, these guy's...all of us had been friends since we were in Jr. High school and I got a call that morning from one of them telling me Dave died and I cursed all three of those fucking pussies and told them they killed Dave, they could of taken him to a hospital and run but they didn't and to this day I have very little respect for any of them...
    so anyway I learned that friends who are drug addicts are not them selves and not to be trusted, drugs change people and not for the better trust me, so anyway that's one reason I just don't get the safe injection sites.

Godfather.

First of all let me say this- I hate heroin. Never tried it, never will. But it's the drug that is horrible, not the users. If I said I hated all heroin users I would have to ditch half my record collection. The reason safe injection sites makes sense is so that users will NOT very likely OD and die. That's the whole point of making them safe sites. Users will use regardless. Unless we just don't care about these people and are willing to let them die, it makes sense to give them more safety. Along with that would also come more opportunities for recovery/ detox.
    true enough Amigo, you"re right and there's no arguing that.
    you mentioned "record collection" I'm a record junkie myself LOL !

Godfather.

Post edited by Godfather. on

brianlux said:

fife said:

PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

true enough Amigo, you"re right and there's arguing that.
    you mentioned "record collection" I'm a record junkie myself LOL !

Godfather.

Excellent! Nothing like 'em! Like an idiot, I dumped a lot of records when CD's came out and had to spend years (and dollars!) rebuilding my collection.

And now look who is veering off topic! :lol:

This discussion has been closed.