Options

pipe bomb explodes at military race in new jersey and now a bomb explodes in nyc

mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
edited September 2016 in A Moving Train
fuck this is scary. Thank god the start of the race was delayed.
http://www.nj.com/ocean/index.ssf/2016/09/explosive_device_goes_off_on_route_of_5k_run_for_m.html#incart_2box_nj-homepage-featured
SEASIDE PARK — An explosive device went off in a garbage pail Saturday morning along the route of a 5K run and walk to benefit military soldiers.

Multiple devices were also found "wired together" in the same garbage pail, but they did not detonate, according to Al Della Fave, spokesman for the Ocean County Prosecutor's Office.

The explosion occurred along the route of the Seaside Semper Five Marine Corps Charity 5K at around 9:30 a.m.

The device is being described as a "pipe bomb-style device" based on a preliminary investigation by officials from the New Jersey State Police Bomb Squad, Della Fave said.

Bomb squad officials are examining the remaining undetonated devices.

"We've evacuated within a four-block perimeter. Traffic into Seaside Park is closed, but (motorists) are allowed to go to Seaside Heights," Della Fave said.

The run began on the pavement near The Sawmill at North Ocean and Stockton avenues and then proceeded down to 14th Avenue, onto the boardwalk, finding back The Sawmill, according to event details posted on Seaside Semper Five's website.

No one was injured in the blast, but the area "is on lock down while bomb dogs search of additional devices," according to a statement from the county prosecutor's office. At least one other device was found, the statement said.

Federal and state law enforcement agencies were deployed to investigate the scene, including officials from the FBI, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, the state police bomb squad and the county prosecutor's office, Della Fave said.

"People should avoid the area," Della Fave stressed.

There was "no real damage to structures," he said.

He added, "Thankfully no one was in the area when it took place."

The start of the run was delayed, which "thankfully avoided a large number of runners in the area," the statement said.

A person on social media posted hearing a "very loud explosion" in the area.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
Post edited by mcgruff10 on

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Saw this earlier.

The fuck is wrong with some people?

(and how many times have I written this to date?)
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    hedonist said:

Saw this earlier.

No shit. Blowing up people is no way to change things, vent grievances or whatever. There are safe means, even radical but safe means to do that. But putting people in harms way is radically stupid and messed up. Hopefully they will track down the dreg of a human who did this.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:

hedonist said:

Saw this earlier.

No shit. Blowing up people is no way to change things, vent grievances or whatever. There are safe means, even radical but safe means to do that. But putting people in harms way is radically stupid and messed up. Hopefully they will track down the dreg of a human who did this.
    And blow him up!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

brianlux said:

hedonist said:

Saw this earlier.

And blow him up!
    Haha. Well first of all I'm a hypocrite for calling him or her (interesting that you said "him") a "dreg". That's not being civil. In any case, I'm all for giving the person or persons responsible a fair trial and punishment under the law.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

hedonist said:

Saw this earlier.

And blow him up!
    Haha. Well first of all I'm a hypocrite for calling him or her (interesting that you said "him") a "dreg". That's not being civil. In any case, I'm all for giving the person or persons responsible a fair trial and punishment under the law.
    Okay fair enough.

Then we'll blow him up!
  • Options

brianlux said:

brianlux said:

hedonist said:

Saw this earlier.

And blow him up!
    Okay fair enough.

Then we'll blow him up!
    OK fine but please do it with some civility!

• Options
    hedonist said:

Saw this earlier.

I wish I could tell you. I live about 20 minutes from where this happened and the surrounding towns were in lock down all morning. A few different festivals were canceled...my dad is at a firemen's convention in wildwood (about an hour south of seaside) and he told me that all garbage cans were removed from the parade route and there were cops and bomb sniffing dogs all over the place.
  • Options
    Damn similar bombs to the Boston explosives in NY too!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    muslim radicals' ? I'd bet on it....probably just the that "small percentage" of immigrants. I have to call it like I see it and this is just
    too common to be called a "coincidence" everybody thinks it but are afraid to say it.

Godfather.
  • Options

muslim radicals' ? I'd bet on it....probably just the that "small percentage" of immigrants. I have to call it like I see it and this is just
    too common to be called a "coincidence" everybody thinks it but are afraid to say it.

Godfather.

Damn it took you longer than usual to blame the Muslims I thought you would of called it last night , you're loosing a step GF !!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    I don't believe in coincidences:
    http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2016/09/nyc_explosion_believed_to_be_intentional_act_mayor.html#incart_2box_nj-homepage-featured
    NEW YORK CITY — An explosion that injured more than 20 people in Manhattan's Chelsea neighborhood was an "intentional act" but there was no indication the blast was linked to terrorism, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said.

"Tonight, New York City experienced a very serious incident," the mayor told reporters at a late Saturday press conference.
    "There is no evidence at this point of a terror connection," de Blasio said, citing preliminary information.

Investigators also did not believe the New York City explosion was linked to a pipe-bomb style blast in Seaside Park on Saturday, the mayor added.

Officers on patrol spotted a large explosion in front of 131 West 23rd Street, said NYPD Commissioner James P. O'Neill. The blast apparently happened outside on the street around 8:30 p.m.

"The area around the explosion site is being treated as a crime scene," the police commissioner said.

The exact cause of the blast was not immediately determined, O'Neill told reporters. Police did not disclose the kind of explosive that went off.

Officials said 29 people were hurt in the blast around 8:30 p.m., including one serious injury. None of the injuries were life-threatening, according to the FDNY.

A "possible secondary device" was discovered on West 27th Street, between 6th and 7th Avenues, the NYPD's Special Operations Division said on Twitter late Saturday.

A law enforcement source told The Associated Press the item on West 27th Street appeared to be a pressure cooker with wires and a cell phone attached inside a plastic bag. It was unclear what led police to the item, four blocks from the explosion scene.

Reports from witnesses on social media described a large blast that shattered windows in the area.

"I was on 23rd st #NewYorkcity and a huge explosion just rocked the street," Twitter user Itay Cohai posted.

A video shared on Twitter showed an official yelling for people to clear the street following the explosion.

"Everybody get off of the street," the shouted in the video as emergency vehicles arrived at the scene.

The NYPD asked anyone with information to call 1-800-577-TIPS.

Hours earlier, authorities said a device exploded near a military charity run in Seaside Park. There were no injuries and the FBI's Joint Terrorism Task Force was investigating that case.
  • Options

Damn similar bombs to the Boston explosives in NY too!

check out the new york city article I just posted. a god damn pressure cooker! isn't that what was used in boston?
  • Options

Godfather.

Damn it took you longer than usual to blame the Muslims I thought you would of called it last night , you're loosing a step GF !!
    Dude I was sleeping. LOL !

Godfather.

• Options
    does anybody here believe it was not radical muslims ?

Godfather.
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124

Godfather.

Too soon to tell Godfather
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    edited September 2016

Godfather.

So it's the act of an Islamic extremist. Then what? It's already been shown that the Islamic extremist actions which have transpired in the States have been from legal immigrants (often second-generation Americans, for that matter). Should they have their citizenship or landed immigrant statuses revoked? That's akin to collective punishment (i.e. the entirety of a group being penalized for the actions of an arguably corrupted <1% of the group), and with extrapolations like that, every single person in the US and Canada (and probably most of the world) should be shot dead for the actions of their peers, governments, and ancestors of both.

Once again, Godfather, you draw the line right at the point where it becomes inconvenient for you, with no respect for humans on the other side of that line and the suffering they will endure as a result of your stance.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    GF...

I think you might be right, but here is where I'd say you opt for condemning all on the actions of a few.

Over in the gun threads, you attack that very attitude (don't take away my guns because of a few assholes).

Come on, man.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487

Godfather.

Reports from Minnesota stabbing was that they were yelling Allah akbar.
  • Options
    It would be nice if we could all just wait and see what an investigation yields.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options

It would be nice if we could all just wait and see what an investigation yields.

At the risk of being wrong, it's a pretty safe assumption these days.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Just as long as you guys agree to do that at the next shooting and don't immediately call for ar15 bans.
  • Options
    unsung said:

Just as long as you guys agree to do that at the next shooting and don't immediately call for ar15 bans.

What purpose does an AR15 serve in the hands of the public?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited September 2016

Oh? How do you figure? Not looking to minimize terrorist attacks or anything, but I am always interested in the real risk vs the assumed risk....
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Oh? How do you figure? Not looking to minimize terrorist attacks or anything, but I am always interested in the real risk vs the assumed risk....
    Do you think it's probably some other group/individual? Why don't you throw a reasonable alternative so that people making assumptions should pause before they do?
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833

Godfather.

A few bad gun owners? Dont take away my rights!
    A few bad muslims? Take away all their rights!
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited September 2016
    unsung said:

Godfather.

Reports from Minnesota stabbing was that they were yelling Allah akbar.
    fuck. two bombings and a really bad stabbing while yelling "allah" all during the same night; I don't believe in coincidences!
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    edited September 2016

PJ_Soul said:

Do you think it's probably some other group/individual? Why don't you throw a reasonable alternative so that people making assumptions should pause before they do?
    I have no idea. TBH, when I first read about the explosion my first thought was "jilted lover" because I have seen stories about this being a somewhat common thing, where some nut job whose girlfriend or wife kicked him out tries to burn down their apartment building, and I know this because that exact thing happened in an apartment building where I lived back in the 90s.
    But after reading about another reason bomb... I still have no idea. I think domestic terrorism is just as likely. I have to honestly say that while of course it's one of the main options, and perhaps what's happened in NYC, my mind doesn't just automatically jump to Islamic terrorism when these kinds of events occur, as though that is by far the most likely culprit.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    They're running away with the scoring title right now, PJSoul.

Jilted lover? Blowing randoms up versus killing his ex? Not near as likely as some brainwashed idiot following suit.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I have no idea. TBH, when I first read about the explosion my first thought was "jilted lover" because I have seen stories about this being a somewhat common thing, where some nut job whose girlfriend or wife kicked him out tries to burn down their apartment building, and I know this because that exact thing happened in an apartment building where I lived back in the 90s.
    But after reading about another reason bomb... I still have no idea. I think domestic terrorism is just as likely. I have to honestly say that while of course it's one of the main options, and perhaps what's happened in NYC, my mind doesn't just automatically jump to Islamic terrorism when these kinds of events occur, as though that is by far the most likely culprit.
    jilted lover using pipe bombs and pressure cooker bombs? I've never heard of that happening before.
  • Options

They're running away with the scoring title right now, PJSoul.

Jilted lover? Blowing randoms up versus killing his ex? Not near as likely as some brainwashed idiot following suit.

No, I'm not saying I think that with more info, nor that that is a likely scenario in general. I meant when I first heard about it, like minutes after, it crossed my mind because it sounded like the target was an apartment building, and when it's a residential target, the chances are higher that it's a personal thing.