September 11th, 2001

Comments

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

and your logic for Iraq is...

the best intel at the moment.
    Well, intelligence at the time said that Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11. That, however, was ignored in the drumbeat leading up to war.

Like I said, for whatever reason after 15 years I finally get why President Bush invaded Iraq.
    Except for the fact that he had nothing to do with it.

The idea and the planning for the invasion of Iraq were developed long before he was even elected.
    The blame, 100% of it falls squarely on....
    duck Cheney
    karl rove
    Don rumsfeld
    And to a lesser extent...colin powell
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    it's threads like these or military celebrations at sporting events that make me sad for peace on this planet ...
  • polaris_x said:

it's threads like these or military celebrations at sporting events that make me sad for peace on this planet ...

Now throw in 'I shouldn't expect any less here' and you will successfully have established yourself as better than everyone else.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

polaris_x said:

Now throw in 'I shouldn't expect any less here' and you will successfully have established yourself as better than everyone else.
    exactly
  • polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

exactly
    There you go!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    It was the smell that really got me. Everyday when I left my apartment the smell was in the air- a mix of steel, plastic, paper and bodies. I never had smelled anything like it and hope I don't again. It lasted for weeks if not more and there was nothing you could do to avoid it.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    anytime you have a thread that remembers those lost in any type of conflict, it will eventually (d)evolve into discussion/argument over why/how it happened and who/what is responsible. this is normal.

in the end, it's a day to remember the lives lost and to hopefully learn how to prevent such another tragedy in the future, if and when that is possible.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• I have strong emotions about 9/11. The horror of the day and the horror thise people went through still angers me to the core. I make myself watch all the shows on the history channel. Still shed tears when I hear the stories of horror and the stories of utter bravery and courage. The senseless killing of all of those people, and for what? Doesn't matter.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    eddiec said:

It was the smell that really got me. Everyday when I left my apartment the smell was in the air- a mix of steel, plastic, paper and bodies. I never had smelled anything like it and hope I don't again. It lasted for weeks if not more and there was nothing you could do to avoid it.

very good friends of mine's brother-in-law is a NYC fireman. a guy i have hung out with a bit and have seen at many of their family functions. he wasn't there when it happened but was there as part of the cleanup later in the day and in the ensuing weeks. about three weeks after the day his wife had to get him out of the city and brought him down to the philly area to escape it for a bit and my friends asked us to come down and hang out and have a few beers with him. i will never forget the look he had on his face. like he had seen ghosts and had been in the presence of evil. i avoided asking any questions about it but one person did and i remembering him saying all they seem to find of people were their shoes. ill always remember how he looked that night i pray to God (and i am not religious) that i never see anyone look like that again. it still gives me chills.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    My story isn't very interesting. I was living in San Diego getting ready for my organic chemistry class when we turned on the news and I called my parents. I remember my dad told me on the phone "get ready for WW III"
    My wife (we didn't meet until 10 years later) had just moved to Brooklyn NY to start her first year of teaching. Her first day as a teacher was 9/10/2001 in Brooklyn. Normal first day. Terrible second day.
    She doesn't like to talk about it, but she lived right across the bridge. So her neighborhood FD were among the first to arrive since the bridge is faster and closer than most departments in Manhattan, and therefore suffered some of the most casualties.
    The eeriest part for her was walking through the city a few days later and being the only time she ever heard birds chirping, and no sound of the city.
    For weeks she'd cry every day to work because she would pass thousands of missing posters and memorials on every church and street corner, many of whom were her age and looked like people she could have easily been friends with, or were sad stories about family members.

I have strong emotions about 9/11. The horror of the day and the horror thise people went through still angers me to the core. I make myself watch all the shows on the history channel. Still shed tears when I hear the stories of horror and the stories of utter bravery and courage. The senseless killing of all of those people, and for what? Doesn't matter.

i don't angry much any more, just very sad. like you i still watch what i can in and around 9/11 and yes hard not to cry. Every year I take out my America Tribute to Heroes cd (the one with Ed and Neil doing Long Road) and play it through a few times. even that makes me tear up but it's just something i do each year to remember.
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    Nothing major for on that day. I got a call from my mother demanding me to turn on the television. I was out the house on my way to a anatomy & biology class. I was a bit upset in that she never tells me why I needed to watch the news.....so I came back turned on the tv. I could see on the news one of the twins towers was on fire and then ten seconds later the second towers had a huge explosion. I can remember saying what the hell is this a movie? If only it could've been a movie.....it slowly dawned on me this horror was for real. I didn't move then saying a short time later those buildings could come down cause I could not see how they were going to put those fires out.

Living in MD at the time things got real crazy when they were saying planes were on their way to DC. Then the Pentagon got hit, that was it I had to go pick up my then 5 year old daughter from her school. She was upset with me as to why I came to get her, I just told her I have to take you home where its safe. I remember how much of a clear, crisp, pristine fall day it was that suddenly became so so quiet. Where my house was in a path to Andrews Air Force base where Air Force One is kept and all other military flights flew. The still and quiet was so unusual on that day....that it made me say..... A lot of people somewhere I going to get killed over this.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    A very good and uplifting book about 9/11. Highly highly recommended

• EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,995
    This is disgusting. A memorial to the 9/11 victims was vandalized and flags were thrown into the trash.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-911-memorial-vandalized-occidental-20160912-snap-htmlstory.html
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Thanks to Bacon for posting the names. The fact that the thread derailed so much is pretty sad.

I was in college when it happened. I worked at a lundromat. We had a tv on. I was helping a customer when it came across the screen. I sat there with 25 complete strangers in complete shock and disbelief. We cried together. We helped each other. I closed up the shop around noon, got in my car and drove to my sister's house about 2 hours away. I will never forget that day.

Take care of each other.

I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Enkidu said:

This is disgusting. A memorial to the 9/11 victims was vandalized and flags were thrown into the trash.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-911-memorial-vandalized-occidental-20160912-snap-htmlstory.html

I saw this on the news this morning. A couple of people seemed so proud of what they were doing, they had no problem being filmed.

Disgusting indeed
  • EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,995
    Who would do something like that? Ugh.

My story - I was a boss at the time, working at Universal Studios in LA and responsible for calling people to tell them not to come to work (Universal was considered a possible target). One woman sounded really weird on the phone. She called me back a few hours later and said she had an uncle who worked in one tower and a young cousin who worked in the other tower. They were both safe, but she'd been waiting to get word.

The uncle's story was pretty amazing. He walked down many many stairs and kept walking. Never looked back. When he got home, he told his wife, "I don't think I can ever work there again."

He didn't know the tower had come down.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Enkidu said:

I don't find anything at all wrong with the flyer that reminds people of all the non-Americans who died. I don't think that fact disrespects the American victims of the attacks at all. You can mourn both groups of victims, and probably should. It might be a good thing to remind people that American lives aren't any more valuable than the lives of people in other nations. I also think it's a little ridiculous to suggest that 9/11 shouldn't be politicized. There is nothing NOT political about 9/11, including the deaths. But the vandalism part is very disrespectful, obviously.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited September 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

Enkidu said:

I don't find anything at all wrong with the flyer that reminds people of all the non-Americans who died. I don't think that fact disrespects the American victims of the attacks at all. You can mourn both groups of victims, and probably should. It might be a good thing to remind people that American lives aren't any more valuable than the lives of people in other nations. I also think it's a little ridiculous to suggest that 9/11 shouldn't be politicized. There is nothing NOT political about 9/11, including the deaths. But the vandalism part is very disrespectful, obviously.
    with all due respect f those people on that campus who have a problem with using American flags to show respect to the dead. it was an American tragedy. did the same people complain when we flew the French flag after the attacks there even though some Americans were killed? i don't condone violence but if i saw someone ripping out flags at a 9/11 Memorial I would not stand idly by.

this is the kid of shit that Kaepernick and his kneeling during the Anthem is spawning. disrespect to the Anthem and to the Flag.
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited September 2016
    pjhawks said:

PJ_Soul said:

Enkidu said:

with all due respect f those people on that campus who have a problem with using American flags to show respect to the dead. it was an American tragedy. did the same people complain when we flew the French flag after the attacks there even though some Americans were killed? i don't condone violence but if i saw someone ripping out flags at a 9/11 Memorial I would not stand idly by.

this is the kid of shit that Kaepernick and his kneeling during the Anthem is spawning. disrespect to the Anthem and to the Flag.
    That's why I said the vandalism is not acceptable.
    But I support any person's right to do what Kaepernick did during the anthem.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • seanwonseanwon Posts: 264
    Yefa said:

This is a piece on the "Falling Man" that is worth your time to read.

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a48031/the-falling-man-tom-junod/

There is also a good documentary about the falling man too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3gbxJ4xUDE

1996: 9/29 Randall's Island 2,  10/1 Buffalo                  2000: 8/27 Saratoga Springs
    2003: 4/29 Albany,  5/2 Buffalo,  7/9 MSG 2                   2006: 5/12 Albany,  6/3 East Rutherford 2
    2008: 6/27 Hartford                 2009: 10/27 Philadelphia 1              2010: 5/15 Hartford,   5/21 MSG 2
    2013: 10/15 Worcester 1,  10/25 Hartford                       2014: 10/1 Cincinnati
    2016: 5/2 MSG 2,   8/5 Fenway 1,  11/7 Temple of the Dog MSG
    2018: 9/2 Fenway 1
    2020: 3/30 MSG             2022: 9/11 MSG            2023: 9/10 Noblesville
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    pjhawks said:

PJ_Soul said:

Enkidu said:

Deflecting the blame of these punk asses on Colin Kaepernick isn't a very good justification.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Why the fuck are we talking about Kaepernick here? This place is turning into trash talk. Come on people.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    brianlux said:

Why the fuck are we talking about Kaepernick here? This place is turning into trash talk. Come on people.

True, Brian. I wasn't paying attention to what thread I was in. Thought it was the other one. My bad.

brianlux said:

True, Brian. I wasn't paying attention to what thread I was in. Thought it was the other one. My bad.
    No worries Dyer- you didn't start it. I just didn't want to be accused of cussing out any one in particular here.

Hey everybody, it's 9/12/16. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm ready to dust off and move on.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

I'm not looking to drag it out, but if it helps some to talk further about their experiences of that time - even the aftermath of that day - I've no problem with it.
    No problem here either and I'm not cold and uncaring. I have my own PTSD to deal with. I'm just not sure how healthy it is to wallow in this 15 years later.

It's also worth considering that some of all of this is tied in to our fascination with morbid entertainment. Like it or not, the truth is )here in America anyway) we love disasters. Look at all the video games. Look at all the disaster movies. Remember what Carlin said about auto racing and how what we really go for is to see a horrific crash? America is in love with violence and disaster.

I hear you, B...though I don't think letting out emotions and memories around this date is necessarily wallowing. I see it more as release. Some need it more than others.

For the record, while I can lean toward morbidity in some circumstances, I am in no way entertained or fascinated by the event or by people jumping to their death from what could be a worse way of dying, or having lived through whatever they did. Or whomever others lost.

It's horrific to me, and that's on my shoulders (and head, and heart) to deal with. Feels rude for me to suggest otherwise...so, I don't.

I can't.

While some can get off on violence in films (and I do...again, release. Pulp Fiction, anyone? Westerns? A shitload of other films?), to have that suspension of disbelief in real life? Nope and never.
    I also get off on shooting the fuck out of people on Grand Theft Auto. Woop-de-woo :)
    hedonist said:

I also get off on shooting the fuck out of people on Grand Theft Auto. Woop-de-woo :)

OK, well so do my beloved nephews so you get a pass on that one, LOL!!