Options

Gratitude

SJD3232SJD3232 Posts: 2,200
edited September 2016 in The Porch
Hey All,
I'm 32 and have been trying to get sober for a few years now. I've been battling my demons-alcohol since I can remember. Today marks 114 days for me and I'm damn proud of that. The longest I've ever gone without a drink is about 2 months so I'm already further along than I've ever imagined. Right now, my life is consumed with work, my family and most importantly my recovery. I left a meeting tonight and on my way home I got a call from a guy who I was giving rides to and from meetings. He told me he was in the hospital so I went to visit him and see how he was. Luckily he's OK and when he's released will be heading back to his 7th rehab. He's 50 and to see him in a state in which I was not too long ago really hit home.

I know a lot of people can't understand but it's a fucking nightmare to be stuck in addiction or to love someone who is going through it.

I know I have a long way to go and my journey has just begun, but I love life now more than I ever have.

I just wanted you to say that not only am I greatful for this band and their music but I'm forever greatful for all of my friends on here. I don't post as often as most, but one of my greatest hobbies now a days is smoking a cigar on my front porch and reading the forum. Whether you know it or not, you've more than likely helped me get through a night without picking up a drink. Like a lot of you, Pearl Jam is my therapy. It's my sole outlet. Songs like Light Years brings me closer to my Granmother who passed away, my wedding song was Thin Air, Dirty Frank cheers me up when I'm down and so on...

Against my sponsors will I traveled to Greece over the summer and took my wife with me to see both Wrigley shows and I didn't drink.

I'm not a great writer and I don't mean to ramble so I'll cut it off here. I just wanted to say thank you for such an amazing sense of community and support. It was a pleasure meeting some of you in Chicago and I hope to see you in 2017 if you can't make it to TOTD at the Garden.

If anyone reading this is in recovery or would like to learn more please reach out to me, you're not alone.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Shannon
Post edited by SJD3232 on

Comments

• Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,633
    Stay strong, Shannon
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,782
    Gratitude is a truly powerful force. It's a gift when we are given the opportunity to feel it fully. So many of us identify with you for more than one reason. Pearl Jam as therapy is not the only one. You sound so strong and centered. Serious respect and love for coming to where you are now. You have so many more beautiful places ahead of you. :peace:
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    I like that you cut yourself off. That's something new to you, eh, you sot? :lol:

114 days is awesome! You should be proud, as I am of you. I celebrated 10 years of being clean and sober this summer. I tell ya, if hope could grow from dirt like me, it can be done. :wink:

I remember leaving detox after 10 days (where we couldn't listen to our music) on a greyhound bus headed for inpatient treatment. The first CD I grabbed was Atlanta '94. Pearl Jam's music (and this community) have been a huge part of my recovery.

There's this thread, too: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/comment/6214586#Comment_6214586
  • Options
    Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,861
    Another incredible story that shows the therapeutic power in music. Glad to see that you have stayed on the right path that is leading you down the road to recovery. Keep up the fight Shannon.
  • Options
    TA243471TA243471 The Great Northwest Posts: 1,125
    Awesome that you are doing so well, and feeling so good about where you are. Odd that at this very second, I happened to be listening to my Binaural vinyl, and was drawn to this post, right as soon as Light Years started. Good luck with your journey. We are all rooting for you.
    • 2006: Gorge 1
    • 2009: Seattle 1
    • 2013: Seattle
    • 2016: Wrigley 1 & 2
    • 2018: Seattle 1&2, Montana
    • 2020: San Diego, LA 1&2, Oakland 1&2
    • 2022: San Diego, LA 1&2, Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Denver
  • Options
    scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,431
    Don't forget you have a lot of "sponsors" here too, I can only speak for myself, we all have our demons and are alway here to listen if need be. Congratulations on 114 days, amazing work. Some of my favourite cigars for you American folk (no Cubans yet) CAO MX2 or CAO Pilon.
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Wish I could offer more than warm energy sent, and love how you're getting beyond the path another precious Shannon (too many Shannons) took.

Keep at it, rock on, and lean on this collective or even individual us when needed.

(by the way, I've always considered honest, from-the-heart writing to be good writing...release it all, as you need)

Hobbes :hug:
  • Options
    deftonesdeftones Athens, Greece Posts: 2,444
    Congrats Shannon. Stay strong!
    ATHENS / 30-9-2006, MANCHESTER / 20-6-2012, MANCHESTER / 21-6-2012, AMSTERDAM / 16-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 17-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 12-6-2018, AMSTERDAM / 13-6-2018, PRAGUE / 1-7-2018, KRAKOW / 3-7-2018, BERLIN / 5-7-2018
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,048
    honored to know you!
  • Options
    EB218946EB218946 Posts: 3,829
    Thanks for sharing. Positive vibes all day.
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    Congratulations on your (now) 115 days!! You should be proud. Please lean on this community when you need/want to. Continued positive energy.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    kateikatei DC Metro Posts: 76
    Thanks for posting. Wishing you the best with your hard work.
  • Options
    SEACIDESEACIDE Posts: 410
    :) ... 5/21/2010 in MSG was day 4 for me ... 6 years later one day at a time and here we are ... FootSTEPS ... babySTEPS ... STEPS STEPS STEPS !!! Those steps were the real eye opener for me ... PEACE AND LOVE!
    Love is all you need.....
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    Keep it up. Don't go back. Stay positive. Family and friends really do care.
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    link93link93 Posts: 404
    Congrats! Best wishes on your battle. I have never had this addiction but can only imagine how difficult it is to overcome. Lot's of people out there to support you.
  • Options
    maverickmaverick Posts: 1,184
    PP193448 said:

Keep it up. Don't go back. Stay positive. Family and friends really do care.

One day at a time. It's an inside job today.
    Stay strong!
  • Options
    pjman75pjman75 Indiana Posts: 836
    Stay strong and grateful. Every day sober is new and amazing. Life is truly beautiful when you're actually living it. One day at a time has gotten me through almost 5 years now. If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. Hit me up if you ever need to. Chris Walker from Indiana on Facebook, pjman7575@yahoo.com is my email and @walkerman75 on Instagram. There's lots of social media groups out there for sober PJ fans as well. Sorry I missed you at Wrigley but already looking forward shaking your hand at a future show.
    I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love.

8/17/98 Noblesville, 8/18/00 Noblesville, 6/5/03 San Diego, 6/22/03 Noblesville, 9/11/05 Kitchener, 5/7/10 Noblesville, 9/15/11 Hamilton, 11/21/12 Memphis (Ed w/ Glen), 7/19/13 Wrigley, 10/11/13 Pittsburgh, 10/01/14 Cincinnati, 10/03/14 Saint Louis, 4/16/16 Greenville, 4/26/16 Lexington, 5/1/16 NYC, 5/2/16 NYC, 8/20/16 Wrigley, 8/22/16 Wrigley (For Hank), 8/18/18 Wrigley, 8/20/18 Wrigley (For Hank), 9/18/22 Saint Louis, 9/5/23 Chicago, 9/7/23 Chicago
  • Options
    WashedWashed Posts: 736
    Well done, my friend. Good luck on your journey.
    this city is so filthy, like my mind in ways
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    congrats on the stretch of sobriety....I went 3.5 years and then fell back into in the past year...its the hardest thing ive ever done in my life...I was in the gym hitting in hard, reached personal goals, and on the right track and then BAM a life even happened and I was alone and caved in to old habits

I have "Amongst the Waves" tattooed on my forearm when I got 3 years sober as a reminder

"Riding High Amongs the Waves
    Where I can feel like I
    Have a soul that has been saved
    Where I can feel like I've
    Put away my early grave"

I love reading these stories, they inspire me to get back on track...keep it up and never go back!

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Wishing you well too, pjalive.
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    Congrats on the milestone. Many of us here battle the same demons. Stay strong as it gets much, much better. Like pjalive mentioned they were doing originally I highly recommend going to the gym if you can a lot. Along with music that has been a driving force in my recovery.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    EM194007EM194007 Posts: 2,827
    Stay strong, and hang with it Shannon. Sometimes it can be rough, but in the long run it's well worth it. I'm 2 weeks away from being 17 years off the bottle. I won't lie, it was rough as hell at first, but if you keep your head into it, you can do it as well. Like others have said, you have a whole family of friends here willing to lend a hand if needed. Just reach out if need be. Good Luck my friend!!!
  • Options
    EM194007 said:

Stay strong, and hang with it Shannon. Sometimes it can be rough, but in the long run it's well worth it. I'm 2 weeks away from being 17 years off the bottle. I won't lie, it was rough as hell at first, but if you keep your head into it, you can do it as well. Like others have said, you have a whole family of friends here willing to lend a hand if needed. Just reach out if need be. Good Luck my friend!!!

Funny, you named your pup Brandi. :giggle:
    Congrats on 17 years.
  • Options
    densandensan Posts: 563
    Hey Shannon, It takes a lot of courage and fortitude to post such a personal issue. Be proud and shut down the negative voices that try to creep into your thoughts. You are brave and you will gain strength too. What ever this new journey brings you don't beat your self up, it will just take you down. Also, remember that lying is simply fear. You have nothing to fear because you can and will make it. If you get knocked down, get up and show just how damn strong you are. Feel free to pm anytime. If you need to talk I'll send my number if you want. I'm a married guy who just cares about your well being and safety too. No weird shit, just concern. Be proud, hold your head up, start living! If you want to, please let the family know how you are doing because your PJ family is on your side always.
    Thank you, Dennis (densan)
    Be different & make a difference. Decency & kindness @ a grassroots level works.
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    Ditto what Densan said, but just want to add another "Well done Shannon!" Hardest work to do, but some of the MOST important work you'll ever do. Which you already know...

Best wishes to you. Stay strong!
  • Options
    EM194007EM194007 Posts: 2,827
    Hobbes said:

EM194007 said:

Funny, you named your pup Brandi. :giggle:
    Congrats on 17 years.
    Thanks Hobbes. And a big congrats to you as well on your 10th year anniversary. Didn't even think of it that way, by naming her Brandi. But again, I wasn't a Brandy drinker.
  • Options
    Bravo bravo to you I wish you the best on your path to stay sober !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    api_rickapi_rick Richmond Hill, GA Posts: 9
    Just over six months sober myself. Saw both nights in Wrigley and Fenway and I'm proud of myself. Congrats to you and continued success.
  • Options

Just over six months sober myself. Saw both nights in Wrigley and Fenway and I'm proud of myself. Congrats to you and continued success.

Six months is awesome. Congrats!
  • Options
    I am in recovery for close to three years now, not because I'm an addict but because I love one. I so understand. Be proud my friend. You are a miracle. My thoughts and prayers are with you during this journey. All we have is today. Stay strong one day at a time.xoxo
    The wisdom that the old can't give away

How I choose to feel is how I am