Options

"Quit Crying Eddie!"

2»

Comments

• Options

derbydave said:

Some drunk asshole and his girlfriend ruined a good chunk of the EV show in Detroit for me. The best was when he put his arm around me like we were bros, so I removed it and said I'm trying to watch the show. Then he said to me "oh you're one of those guys where it's about the music" really sarcastically.

I just said yeah, what the f are you here for.

It made me mad that a) he was ruining it for me, only time seeing EV solo and b) I'm sure there were a ton of real fans that would have killed to be there instead of a guy that wasn't even paying attention

Was he the drunk D-bag that kept yelling "Play Crazy Mary"
    What an @$$hole!!!
    No, don't remember him doing that. That would require him actually paying any attention to the show. There were a bunch of idiots at that show

And I really don't mind people having some drinks/fun at all. I do it. Just don't ruin it for others around you
    2 guys next to me in the balcony in Detroit talked through the first 5 songs. I politely asked them to keep it down. I got a similar response as you. Where were you seated?

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    thank u so fuckin much!!!1hahahha
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    letsongsprotestletsongsprotest Novi, MI Posts: 548

derbydave said:

Some drunk asshole and his girlfriend ruined a good chunk of the EV show in Detroit for me. The best was when he put his arm around me like we were bros, so I removed it and said I'm trying to watch the show. Then he said to me "oh you're one of those guys where it's about the music" really sarcastically.

I just said yeah, what the f are you here for.

It made me mad that a) he was ruining it for me, only time seeing EV solo and b) I'm sure there were a ton of real fans that would have killed to be there instead of a guy that wasn't even paying attention

Was he the drunk D-bag that kept yelling "Play Crazy Mary"
    What an @$$hole!!!
    No, don't remember him doing that. That would require him actually paying any attention to the show. There were a bunch of idiots at that show

And I really don't mind people having some drinks/fun at all. I do it. Just don't ruin it for others around you
    2 guys next to me in the balcony in Detroit talked through the first 5 songs. I politely asked them to keep it down. I got a similar response as you. Where were you seated?

I was down on the main floor. Maybe row 30 or something.
    People can really suck sometimes
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • Options
    Irish_AenimaIrish_Aenima Memphis, TN Posts: 122
    edited September 2016
    JimmyV said:

Anyone else notice a guy yell this as Society starts on the Fenway 1 bootleg?

Pretty sure he yells, "We're trying, Eddie" in response to Ed saying, "You've been a great tribe."
    Hadn't caught this before so I went back and listened just now. This here is exactly what happened.

Whoops...my bad. Still sounds like "quit crying" but could be wrong.

Main point of posting was my shock that fans of an artist yell stupid shit. But I was mistaken in this instance.

My bad.

/thread
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,919

JimmyV said:

Anyone else notice a guy yell this as Society starts on the Fenway 1 bootleg?

Pretty sure he yells, "We're trying, Eddie" in response to Ed saying, "You've been a great tribe."
    Hadn't caught this before so I went back and listened just now. This here is exactly what happened.

Whoops...my bad. Still sounds like "quit crying" but could be wrong.

Main point of posting was my shock that fans of an artist yell stupid shit. But I was mistaken in this instance.

My bad.

/thread
    No worries. Your overall point is spot on. People certainly do yell stupid shit at the wrong times and it can be shocking.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224
    "I LOVE YOU EDDIE!!!!!" - The guy in Ottawa when Ed was talking about the fire in Fort McMurray.
    Classy, really :angry:
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    PJ_Soul said:

pjalive21 said:

So annoying. Back in 2012, during the Eddie Vedder solo concert in Albuquerque, people just couldn't Shut the Fuck Up.

Just wasn't there...it was all of his shows...he was visibly frustrated at a show in Chicago because people kept yelling stuff during and in between songs

Apparently he had a lot of trouble with this at his Florida shows too, and I'm sure at many or maybe all of his solo shows. I just don't get it. How can so many people be so totally unaware of their own behaviour, the people around them and of the atmosphere??
    I'm not worried about it at the PJ shows though. Those are rock concerts. Of course people are going to yell and stuff. But his solo theatre shows... that is a whole different kind of thing. Hooting and hollering at those is about as appropriate as yelling during a play.
    I have a theory, but its a boozy one. Also there are the sober fanboys & girls who are dying for Ed to acknowledge them. (i.e. Eddie would go lady in the Vic 07' bootleg).
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    I don't even try to go to EV solo shows anymore. After having the same experience, in different cities on different tours, the crowds for his shows are terrible and embarrassing
  • Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,509
    I've noticed this behaviour (jackasses yelling throughout the show) at Chris Cornell solo shows as well. I love the intimate atmosphere that the artists are aiming to create at these shows, and their stories in between songs really add to the charm for me. But as many of you have said, it provides a breeding ground for drunks and tools to yell. They're like animals, once one starts yelling, others around them follow suit. I really look forward to these types of shows, and try not to let it affect me, but these types of people really kill the vibe, and you can see the artists get frustrated themselves. Have seen Eddie solo in Seattle and Australia (3 shows in 2014, 2 at the State Theatre, and one at the Sydney Opera House. Throughout those 3 shows, people would keep yelling over and over "we love you Eddie" in this awful shrill voice (maybe it was the same woman at all 3), but once she did it (and she did it about every 2 minutes throughout the show) others would do it too. We had travelled across the world for those shows, and they were so worth it, but still that behaviour is totally insensitive. Be kind to your neighbours. I don't drink at PJ/EV shows, but will sometimes have a few drinks if I'm seeing a band I don't care all that much about. When I do, I respect that other people might be enjoying that band like I would at a PJ show, so I STFU throughout the show out of respect to others. If you want to be a loud jackass, go to a loud bar or a sports event.
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    mwplum said:

I've noticed this behaviour (jackasses yelling throughout the show) at Chris Cornell solo shows as well. I love the intimate atmosphere that the artists are aiming to create at these shows, and their stories in between songs really add to the charm for me. But as many of you have said, it provides a breeding ground for drunks and tools to yell. They're like animals, once one starts yelling, others around them follow suit. I really look forward to these types of shows, and try not to let it affect me, but these types of people really kill the vibe, and you can see the artists get frustrated themselves. Have seen Eddie solo in Seattle and Australia (3 shows in 2014, 2 at the State Theatre, and one at the Sydney Opera House. Throughout those 3 shows, people would keep yelling over and over "we love you Eddie" in this awful shrill voice (maybe it was the same woman at all 3), but once she did it (and she did it about every 2 minutes throughout the show) others would do it too. We had travelled across the world for those shows, and they were so worth it, but still that behaviour is totally insensitive. Be kind to your neighbours. I don't drink at PJ/EV shows, but will sometimes have a few drinks if I'm seeing a band I don't care all that much about. When I do, I respect that other people might be enjoying that band like I would at a PJ show, so I STFU throughout the show out of respect to others. If you want to be a loud jackass, go to a loud bar or a sports event.

trouble is, Chris often perpetuates it. he will answer someone yelling, or he will ask the crowd what they want to hear next, etc. then it's just a mish-mash of idiots yelling "I love you Chris" and "Slaves and Bulldozers!!!".
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818

I don't even try to go to EV solo shows anymore. After having the same experience, in different cities on different tours, the crowds for his shows are terrible and embarrassing

Vedder, Cornell, and for me add Aaron Lewis to the list of solo shows ive seen where its bad...the Aaron Lewis shows I think topped the asses at Vedder, but like someone mentioned above he is another one like Cornell that kind of brings it on himself with the request

• Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    People are jackasses? I never knew.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited September 2016
    I don't understand why Eddie doesn't just flat out tell them to shut the fuck up or he'll have them kicked out of the show. I don't think there would be anything wrong with that. He and the venue have the right to do that, don't they? I can't imagine that anyone who was told by him to shut up or else they're out would keep on yelling.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    PJ_Soul said:

I don't understand why Eddie doesn't just flat out tell them to shut the fuck up or he'll have them kicked out of the show. I don't think there would be anything wrong with that. He and the venue have the right to do that, don't they? I can't imagine that anyone who was told by him to shut up or else they're out would keep on yelling.

there was one show on the 2011 tour where he flat out told someone to shut the fuck up. Loved it.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    ShanKathyShanKathy Edmonton, Alberta Posts: 308
    Does anyone recall this - I think I read that either his wife or one his techs has come out before his solo show to ask for quiet? It must get pretty bad to have to resort to that. On a side note, I was at the Rodriguez concert in Edmonton last week and there was lots of yelling there too. It's odd to me that some people are compelled to express how much they love an artist by yelling during their performance.
  • Options
    JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064
    Worst one I saw... Ed Solo night 1 in Ft Lauderdale.

Ed and Glen are singing without mics. The crowd is dead silent for the entire song.... Until right before the last note when some moron yells Go Patriots.

You could just see Ed crumble right before singing the last note. I mean it was so good it could have ended up being on a record.

Ugggghhh
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
    12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
    13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
    14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
    16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2
  • Options
    JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064
    One of the nights everyone was yelling requests and Ed said I think I heard a request for Shut the Fuck Up.

That was pretty funny
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
    12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
    13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
    14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
    16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2
  • Options
    Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,861
    JB128716 said:

One of the nights everyone was yelling requests and Ed said I think I heard a request for Shut the Fuck Up.

That was pretty funny

JB128716 said:

Worst one I saw... Ed Solo night 1 in Ft Lauderdale.

Ed and Glen are singing without mics. The crowd is dead silent for the entire song.... Until right before the last note when some moron yells Go Patriots.

You could just see Ed crumble right before singing the last note. I mean it was so good it could have ended up being on a record.

Ugggghhh

I vaguely remember that from those nights, now that you bring that up. :lol:
  • Options
    SP96445SP96445 Posts: 214
    I have seen EV at 6 Southern Cal shows since his first tour in 08.
    I do not recall any "over the top" yelling or heckling during any of the shows.
    Matter of fact the "Redemption Song" at Santa Barbara Bowl was one of the most magical concert moments of my life and I have seen 100's of concerts.
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    There are a lot of assholes, there are more assholes on the east coast or should I say loud rude obnoxious people?