Options

"Quit Crying Eddie!"

Irish_AenimaIrish_Aenima Memphis, TN Posts: 122
Anyone else notice a guy yell this as Society starts on the Fenway 1 bootleg?

Comments

• Options
    scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,429
    Yes. You can hear that guy a lot throughout the show.
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    The show is so damn good, I drowned out that part - never heard it. Not gonna look for it either! : )
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    So annoying. Back in 2012, during the Eddie Vedder solo concert in Albuquerque, people just couldn't Shut the Fuck Up.
    Las Cruces, NM Pan Am Center September 14, 1995
    Albuquerque, NM Tingley Coliseum July 7, 1998
    New York City, NY MSG May 20, 2010
    Eddie Vedder Solo Albuquerque, NM November 9, 2012
    Wrigley Field July 19, 2013
    LA Nov. 23: 24, 2013
    Denver 10-22-14
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818

So annoying. Back in 2012, during the Eddie Vedder solo concert in Albuquerque, people just couldn't Shut the Fuck Up.

Just wasn't there...it was all of his shows...he was visibly frustrated at a show in Chicago because people kept yelling stuff during and in between songs

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    pjalive21 said:

Just wasn't there...it was all of his shows...he was visibly frustrated at a show in Chicago because people kept yelling stuff during and in between songs

Apparently he had a lot of trouble with this at his Florida shows too, and I'm sure at many or maybe all of his solo shows. I just don't get it. How can so many people be so totally unaware of their own behaviour, the people around them and of the atmosphere??
    I'm not worried about it at the PJ shows though. Those are rock concerts. Of course people are going to yell and stuff. But his solo theatre shows... that is a whole different kind of thing. Hooting and hollering at those is about as appropriate as yelling during a play.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    this reminds me of the Play Leash sign @ MSG in 2003. Classic new yawk talk.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,831
    PJ_Soul said:

pjalive21 said:

Apparently he had a lot of trouble with this at his Florida shows too, and I'm sure at many or maybe all of his solo shows. I just don't get it. How can so many people be so totally unaware of their own behaviour, the people around them and of the atmosphere??
    I'm not worried about it at the PJ shows though. Those are rock concerts. Of course people are going to yell and stuff. But his solo theatre shows... that is a whole different kind of thing. Hooting and hollering at those is about as appropriate as yelling during a play.
    a whole lot of evenbros yelling for Even Flow at his minneapolis show. it was embarassing.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    EnterThanmanEnterThanman London, ON Posts: 1,057
    There was lots of shouting during the two Toronto shows in 2008. The first show he was cool with it and actually responded and played off it, the second night he pretty much respectfully asked the crowd to shut the fuck up.
    The member formerly known as Scratched Vinyl
  • Options
    letsongsprotestletsongsprotest Novi, MI Posts: 548
    Some drunk asshole and his girlfriend ruined a good chunk of the EV show in Detroit for me. The best was when he put his arm around me like we were bros, so I removed it and said I'm trying to watch the show. Then he said to me "oh you're one of those guys where it's about the music" really sarcastically.

I just said yeah, what the f are you here for.

It made me mad that a) he was ruining it for me, only time seeing EV solo and b) I'm sure there were a ton of real fans that would have killed to be there instead of a guy that wasn't even paying attention
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • Options
    djklambakedjklambake PHX, AZ Posts: 2,510
    I don't recall the crowd in Phoenix 2012 at Eddie's solo show being too unruly, but there was a lot of discussion at the time on the boards here about how disrespectful some showgoers were being. Perhaps they didn't get the vibe Eddie was aiming for on his solo gigs, and they were merely there to relive the good old days when Eddie thrashed around the stage and climbed up shit. Due to PJ's roots in grunge and good old fashioned rock n fucking roll, there's always gonna be this tiny contingent of bros who wanna get hammered before a show and act like jackasses the whole time. Cripes, even the young lady behind us for Wrigley 2 was entirely too blasted before Footsteps ended and spent the whole show moaning, threatening to puke, and then finally puking.

Ought to be a bill of rights for ticket holders... Respect the band, your neighbors, yourself, etc... But what the hell... It's rock n roll...
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
  • Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,751
    I believe one of the two HOB shows from 1999, when Ed and C Average opened for The Who, Ed switches to electric a few songs in and says something to the effect "now you can talk as loud as you want" leading to Watch Outside.
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254

Some drunk asshole and his girlfriend ruined a good chunk of the EV show in Detroit for me. The best was when he put his arm around me like we were bros, so I removed it and said I'm trying to watch the show. Then he said to me "oh you're one of those guys where it's about the music" really sarcastically.

It made me mad that a) he was ruining it for me, only time seeing EV solo and b) I'm sure there were a ton of real fans that would have killed to be there instead of a guy that wasn't even paying attention

Was he the drunk D-bag that kept yelling "Play Crazy Mary"
    What an @$$hole!!!
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,239
    Guy near us at Ohana: "Quit talking and play music!" I think Ed's stories add to the charm of his shows. :shrug:
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    Whether you like the talking or not (i agree it adds charm), it's just so rude to yell shit like that out. Ugh, some people's kids, ya know?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Too many weirdos that think they can yell "inside jokes" to Eddie and too many frat boys who just yell
  • Options
    CP218430CP218430 Posts: 1,891
    Best Ten Club ticks I ever had were to an Ed solo show in Chicago. Wonderful seats and while I've been lucky in the lotto and thankful every time I get to see anyone in the band play, those people really stole the charm of the show for me. Haven't had it happen since but I do get sour when I think of how beautiful that show was and how great it should've been. Yes, they were yelling Evenflow - an acoustic solo version might actually be cool, but they didn't get ticks for solo show. I feel all of you.
    98: St. Louis. 2000: Alpine. 2003: Chicago. 2006: Chicago Night 2, Milwaukee Night 1. 2007: Chicago (Lolla). 2009: Chicago 1 & 2. 2011: Alpine 1 & 2. 2013: Chicago & LA Night 1. 2016: Chicago 1 & 2. 2018: Chicago 1 & 2. 

"Let the Ocean dissolve away my past."
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,147
    I haven't heard it yet but so you think he's yelling at the other fans to stop yelling "Eddie" at ev? Or is he an evenbro like it seems?
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    letsongsprotestletsongsprotest Novi, MI Posts: 548
    derbydave said:

Was he the drunk D-bag that kept yelling "Play Crazy Mary"
    What an @$$hole!!!
    No, don't remember him doing that. That would require him actually paying any attention to the show. There were a bunch of idiots at that show

And I really don't mind people having some drinks/fun at all. I do it. Just don't ruin it for others around you
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • Options
    jp307677jp307677 Boston Posts: 415

Guy near us at Ohana: "Quit talking and play music!" I think Ed's stories add to the charm of his shows. :shrug:

That's so disrespectful...Id be embarrassed for Ed to hear that. I'm actually interested in what he has to say

• Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,781
    I agree.. I really enjoy his stories and think it adds charm to the entire event. I really can't stand idiots (especially drunk ones) yelling stupid comments and I hope that when we get a real EV solo tour again at some point they decide to stay home or keep their comments to themselves.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,861

I agree.. I really enjoy his stories and think it adds charm to the entire event. I really can't stand idiots (especially drunk ones) yelling stupid comments and I hope that when we get a real EV solo tour again at some point they decide to stay home or keep their comments to themselves.

Couldn't agree more. I love when Ed engages with the crowd, it makes the show much more intimate. I kind of dont like it at other concerts when the artist don't engage with the audience. I really never understood why the people that do nothing but complain even attend the shows to begin with. You would think after attending a few shows you know what this band is all about by now. Sometimes I think some of the fans that attend some of these shows are fans of the wrong band. They are a politically charged band, that love to bring up issues that concern them to share with the audience. If all you are going to do is get upset at the show, then don't go. Why spend the money and time if you are clearly not enjoying yourself. With the amount of people that get shut out of the lottery and public sales, it seems that the tickets could have gone to someone who really wanted to be at the show.
  • Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    I wish people would stop being unruly at shows, i hope the band doesn't get a poor opinion of us when they hear that stuff
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options

Pretty sure he yells, "We're trying, Eddie" in response to Ed saying, "You've been a great tribe."
  • Options
    The two (?) girls at the Athens show in 2006...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,910

Pretty sure he yells, "We're trying, Eddie" in response to Ed saying, "You've been a great tribe."
    Hadn't caught this before so I went back and listened just now. This here is exactly what happened.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    /thread
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    It wouldn't be as special without Ed speaking and making it feel like he's talking to 3 of his friends when it's actually 30,000 people in the room.
    At the Fenway and Wrigley shows there were always people talking during the softer first encores. I posted this on another thread, but my new solution: singing at the top of my lungs right in their ears every time they start chatting...they got the point
  • Options
    ed should plug in and turn it up. problem solved.
  • Options
    JimmyV said:

Hadn't caught this before so I went back and listened just now. This here is exactly what happened.
    Oh, well then.... move along, nothing to see here.
  • Options
    Ray J. T. said:

Couldn't agree more. I love when Ed engages with the crowd, it makes the show much more intimate. I kind of dont like it at other concerts when the artist don't engage with the audience. I really never understood why the people that do nothing but complain even attend the shows to begin with. You would think after attending a few shows you know what this band is all about by now. Sometimes I think some of the fans that attend some of these shows are fans of the wrong band. They are a politically charged band, that love to bring up issues that concern them to share with the audience. If all you are going to do is get upset at the show, then don't go. Why spend the money and time if you are clearly not enjoying yourself. With the amount of people that get shut out of the lottery and public sales, it seems that the tickets could have gone to someone who really wanted to be at the show.
    Right on