Options

Kaepernick

Comments

• Options

Why does it matter if someone was disliked? It doesn't mean his intentions are in the wrong place. This makes him less liked...

It speaks to his character. He's never been known to be righteous... he's been known to be an ass. It brings to question his motives.

I could be wrong, but I think his gesture was more self serving than selfless- just another 'hey look at me'.
    But why? Assholes can't care about causes?

What does he get out of it? He is the least popular player in the NFL
    He gets to be relevant again.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    pjalive21 said:

pjalive21 said:

JC29856 said:

pjalive21 said:

Now that he is starting QB again he will spend plenty of time of his knees

If im his offensive line im going half speed

Too much money for athletes to stand on principles.......no wait, what!
    See how that works?
    where were these principles when he was parading around in BEATS by Dre commercials as the starting QB...im sure those issues were in the forefront of his concerns while he filming those commercials...oh wait...they weren't...racial issues were going on waaaaaay before he decided to do this and when he was a "star" i would have respected it more then, it looks terrible now

there is no way you will convince me otherwise...you stand on principle you stand on them when you are on top and have a voice not when you are one foot out the door almost jobless to make the 49ers look bad

Your opinions have not evolved over time?

You don't think it is impressive that he is donating a million dollars to the cause?

I'd say you stand on your principles whenever you feel you need to speak up. Who gives a flying fuck when it happens?
    He decided to donate the million dollars to save face after he was lambasted the guy's a complete and utter fraud and could give two craps less about a cause of something he's never faced personally in his entire life

Like I said when he had his Beats by Dre shoved so far shown up his ass he could have cared less about this cause
    I think I already pointed out the timeline with beats and blm, the beats thing was well before blm gained attention, but alright.
  • Options

Why does it matter if someone was disliked? It doesn't mean his intentions are in the wrong place. This makes him less liked...

It speaks to his character. He's never been known to be righteous... he's been known to be an ass. It brings to question his motives.

I could be wrong, but I think his gesture was more self serving than selfless- just another 'hey look at me'.
    He always spoke out purple just weren't tuned in. I may have said this before also.

What's self interest is he serving? He is a SB QB in SF but he needs more attention?
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

He always spoke out purple just weren't tuned in. I may have said this before also.

What's self interest is he serving? He is a SB QB in SF but he needs more attention?
    Oh yeah... he was at the forefront of a social movement.

'Was' (not is) a (losing) superbowl QB in SF that had found himself irrelevant. He needed some attention. His success was very short lived and his fall from his perch was dramatic.
  • Options

JC29856 said:

'Was' (not is) a (losing) superbowl QB in SF that had found himself irrelevant. He needed some attention. His success was very short lived and his fall from his perch was dramatic.
    Believe what you want but it's out there... You can't start with a timeline of his Twitter posts which predate blm.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718

JC29856 said:

I'm a bay area guy and for a while their, Kaepernick was a fine athlete and a lot of local football fans were proud of him. Sometimes fame in the big leagues is short-lived but during that time, the Niner fans thrilled to have him as their QB. But it didn't last. Oh well, he got compensated fairly. But as an outspoken person, a guy using his visibility to make an important point- I like that even better. And a lot of bay area folks are even more proud of him now because of it (see my post re. the billboard coming off the Bay Bridge.) It sounds to me like some people have more of a problem with him not continuing as a football star than with him speaking out.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718
    The other thing that's kind of funny is that Kaepernic has probably been talked about more and longer here on this forum than any place on earth. :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837

But why? Assholes can't care about causes?

What does he get out of it? He is the least popular player in the NFL
    He gets to be relevant again.
    But wouldn't that make it impossible for us to actually judge him at this point? If his actions were to either 'make himself relevant again' or 'protest social injustices' then how can anybody make a judgement now?

If he becomes 'relevant' again and completely abandons the cause he has become a spokesperson for then yes, it was all about himself.

If he gets sacked 10 times this weekend, loses the job, is out of the NFL in 3 years but continues to spread the same message for the next 10-20 years then we can assume he was genuine.

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    there is too much time spent on this guy as it is.....let him fade away.

Godfather.
  • Options

Godfather.

Remember the saying you can kill the man but you can't kill the message.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

JC29856 said:

I'm a bay area guy and for a while their, Kaepernick was a fine athlete and a lot of local football fans were proud of him. Sometimes fame in the big leagues is short-lived but during that time, the Niner fans thrilled to have him as their QB. But it didn't last. Oh well, he got compensated fairly. But as an outspoken person, a guy using his visibility to make an important point- I like that even better. And a lot of bay area folks are even more proud of him now because of it (see my post re. the billboard coming off the Bay Bridge.) It sounds to me like some people have more of a problem with him not continuing as a football star than with him speaking out.
    I wouldn't say around here that is the case. And he was never a star- he was a game manager and a poor one at that. His running ability offset his poor throws, but he has never been a 'stud'. Once the tape was out on him, defences did much better against him.

At this point, I truly don't care. He can do what he wants: he had his moment, but he's become irrelevant again even with his default appointment as the starter for the Niners.
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

Godfather.

I missed that one, but this guy's message so far has cost the NFL a lot of viewers and they're taking a hit from
    sponsors demanding partial refunds for limited viewers.

Godfather.

• Options

JC29856 said:

Godfather.

I missed that one, but this guy's message so far has cost the NFL a lot of viewers and they're taking a hit from

Godfather.

"Sponsors, there are no fucking sponsors"
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122

JC29856 said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

The NFL has taken a hit not because of Kap but because the games have stunk. Terrible matchups on Thursday and Sunday nights also if im ever watching the games put me to sleep.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    g under p said:

JC29856 said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

The NFL has taken a hit not because of Kap but because the games have stunk. Terrible matchups on Thursday and Sunday nights also if im ever watching the games put me to sleep.

Peace
    all righty then.

Godfather.

• Options
    JC29856 said:

JC29856 said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

?....

Godfather.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,601
    edited October 2016
    I have watched almost no NFL this year, though the amount I have watched over the past few years has declined pretty steadily. I am at the point now where I watch only the Giants (some Bills) and other big or good games, but don't really go out of my way to do so. Not saying people like me are the reason for the decline but my reasons...

The product sucks

There are 9 million commercial brakes

The refs suck

The rules suck

The reviews especially suck

The Giants suck

Did I mention the product sucks?

Edit: And holy hell, my spelling of "breaks"
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options

I have watched almost no NFL this year, though the amount I have watched over the past few years has declined pretty steadily. I am at the point now where I watch only the Giants (some Bills) and other big or good games, but don't really go out of my way to do so. Not saying people like me are the reason for the decline but my reasons...

The product sucks

The refs suck

The rules suck

The Giants suck

Dang Cliffy ! that's a fact !

Godfather.

• Options

The product sucks

The refs suck

The rules suck

The Giants suck

Dang Cliffy ! that's a fact !

Godfather.

Something we can agree on?!?!?1
  • Options

JC29856 said:

JC29856 said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

?....

Godfather.
    Quoting Ed...I listen way too much older pj boots.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,196

The product sucks

The refs suck

The rules suck

The Giants suck

they've also really diluted Sunday day games with the Thursday night, Sunday night, Monday night and basically one good game at 4:00. the 1:00 eastern games on Sunday pretty much suck. it's just not interesting when it's not your team. Red Zone is great though. I only watch the Eagles and Red Zone on Sundays.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833

JC29856 said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

you really think football fans stopped watching because of this guy? have you ever met a football fan???
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    pjhawks said:

The product sucks

The refs suck

The rules suck

The Giants suck

they've also really diluted Sunday day games with the Thursday night, Sunday night, Monday night and basically one good game at 4:00. the 1:00 eastern games on Sunday pretty much suck. it's just not interesting when it's not your team. Red Zone is great though. I only watch the Eagles and Red Zone on Sundays.
    Yes, agreed. Trying to take over the whole week definitely has diluted things. Agreed, though I don't have much interest in Red Zone since I don't play fantasy. I just don't really care about what is going on with the majority of the teams playing. When I am bored I'll watch Red Zone if nothing else is on.
  • Options

The product sucks

The refs suck

The rules suck

The Giants suck

Edit: And holy hell, my spelling of "breaks"

You don't like watching the same erectile dysfunction commercials over over over over over and over again within a few hours?
  • Options
    Jim Nantz extremely butt hurt, hot mic
    "Their gonna keep kneeling as long as we keep putting cameras on their face"
    Takeaway
    We don't like the kneeling its wrong so threat them like streakers running on the field by not putting the camera on them. Putting cameras on them only further advances their personal cause of hey look at me.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Has this movement done anything but divide?
  • Options
    JC29856 said:
    It would have been more noble had she turned down the gig on principle, but like some others... used the opportunity for self promotion.

"I'm sorry. I don't feel right singing the national anthem given my problem with how blacks are treated by the police."

versus

"I'm only going to half sing the national anthem. I need the gig and I want the attention."
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833

JC29856 said:
    It would have been more noble had she turned down the gig on principle, but like some others... used the opportunity for self promotion.

"I'm sorry. I don't feel right singing the national anthem given my problem with how blacks are treated by the police."

versus

"I'm only going to half sing the national anthem. I need the gig and I want the attention."
    it wouldn't be in the news if she had opted to cancel the singing gig. they would have replaced her without fanfare. that's the whole point of making a statement. so it's heard.

passive activism doesn't really do a whole lot.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com