Options

No Code Article

Comments

• Options
    grjammergrjammer Posts: 385
    Great read and perspective about what an important album it was for the band.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,849
    Great article!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    EddieshometownEddieshometown Evanston, IL Posts: 974
    edited August 2016
    Thanks for sharing! No Code was the first Pearl Jam album that I didn't instantly love when I first listened to it. It actually took a few years to really appreciate it (they matured before I did) and this is probably the point where a lot of casual fans dropped off and looked elsewhere.

The below quote sums is up well.

"They were packing up their gear and heading off the grid. If you wanted to follow them, great; if not, that was fine, too."
    Post edited by Eddieshometown on
    6/26/98 & 6/27/98 - Alpine Valley, 10/9/00 - Allstate Arena - Rosemont, IL 6/18/2003 - United Center, 5/16/2006 - United Center,
    5/17/2006 - United Center (7th row center, caught Eddie's pick), 6/29/2006 - Summerfest with Tom Petty,
    8/24/2009 - United Center, 7/19/2013 - Wrigley Field, 10/3/2014 - St Louis, 10/17/2014 - Moline (GA), 10/20/2014 - Milwaukee,
    5/14/2015 - Pete Townshend/EV, 8/20/16 & 8/22/16 Wrigley Field Part 2&3, 8/18/18 & 8/20/18 Wrigley Parts 4 & 5, 9/18/2022 - St Louis
  • Options
    HH140540HH140540 Atlanta Posts: 499
    Thanks for posting, great read.
  • Options
    jp307677jp307677 Boston Posts: 415

Thanks for sharing! No Code was the first Pearl Jam album that I didn't instantly love when I first listened to it. It actually took a few years to really appreciate it (they matured before I did) and this is probably the point where a live of casual fans dropped off and looked elsewhere.

The below quote sums is up well.

"They were packing up their gear and heading off the grid. If you wanted to follow them, great; if not, that was fine, too."

That quote did sum it up real well. I actually wasn't a fan at all until Vitalogy...and I know that's when a lot of "mainstream fans" dropped off. In my opinion they just got better and better with No Code and then Yield
  • Options
    DM282158DM282158 Beverly, MA Posts: 519
    Thank you for posting. Fantastic article. Fascinating to learn a bit about each band mates' perspectives at that time (mid 90's).
    Boston '06
    Mansfield '08
    Hartford '10
    Worcester, Hartford '13
    Global Citizen, NY '15
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    NICE...
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,383
    my all time favorite album. great read!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,736
    Great article. Great album. It really is amazing that these guys have stayed together all these years and that no one has left the band.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,231
    I remember I had my cousin pick this up for me the day it was released. We were on a family vacation in the Chicago area. It was their first studio album I got upon release. I had gotten the Merkin Ball EP for the Christmas prior and had become completely obsessed shortly after Vitalogy came out before that.

The internet was barely usable at this point so I remember searching for hours in the school library for low quality wav files of SOLAT, Wash and other b sides.

When I first listened to No Code, I have to admit I was a bit disappointed in the lack of hard rockers. I remember when Who You Are was playing mainstream radio and I was like, hmm, interesting first single, but then Hail, Hail started leaking out and I would wait to hear it again so I could record it to tape. I played the crap out of that tape. Then there was staying up late to see them play Letterman. Such an awesome performance. The whole album quickly grew on me and is to this day my favorite overall musical album that they put out.

The first thing I did every day when I got home from school was pop this CD in my tiny Zenith stereo and lay on my bedroom floor until the last notes of Around the Bend finished playing. Often times the warm chords of this album would lull me to sleep.

I can't wait for the vinyl edition to finally land on my doorstep in a few weeks. This album and the change from summer to fall go hand in hand and bring me back to those teenage years so long ago now. It is a timeless album.

Thank you Pearl Jam for making this album and the everlasting memories it created in my life.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    BALLBOYBALLBOY Australia Posts: 992
    I have to admit when I first heard Who you Are I was a bit taken a back with the different sound & the slow start with Sometimes but when Hail Hail came on I knew it would rock & In my Tree was the highlight & still is. The album they needed to make & if all the people who bought the first 3 albums knew then what we know now.
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14
  • Options
    jbrowniejbrownie Posts: 135
    This is when I made the unfortunate mistake of letting my "vitalogy club" membership lapse. So never let your number go!! I still have Newsletter #6.
    But I was 22 then, & I could not figure out their direction. This was no Vs. They were making it difficult for me to see them live due to the TM thing. And things were getting weird in the rock world. "Maybe that was a fun run," I thought.
    But I bought it on Vinyl, still have it, still play it, still love it. Just lost my way for a minute. And probably 15 rows, LOL.
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    edited August 2016
    great article about my fav album...so diverse and experimental which ended up in perfection as an album for me

Vedder explained a dream in which the band took the stage, started playing, and just didn’t stop. In his dream they played so long that the crowd just started trickling out until there were only six fans left at the lip of the stage. In essence it was a vision about a life after No Code in which Pearl Jam could finally just do what they wanted, how they wanted, with a core audience that would follow them regardless. And that’s exactly what happened.
    Post edited by pjalive21 on
  • Options
    JensStillHereJensStillHere Columbus, Ohio Posts: 101
    Excellent article and it hits so many of the reasons why I love that album. I listened to it this morning and it never disappoints.
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,562
    good stuff. thanks for posting.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Now they just need to do something like that again. It's overdue.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,160

Thanks for sharing! No Code was the first Pearl Jam album that I didn't instantly love when I first listened to it. It actually took a few years to really appreciate it (they matured before I did) and this is probably the point where a lot of casual fans dropped off and looked elsewhere.

My musical tastes were all over the place and they rarely matched up with what Pearl Jam was doing at the time. I got Ten and at first I didn't like it at all, I was into metal at the time for some reason. Jeremy did become one of my favorites though. Then Vs came out and I remember hating Daughter, maybe because of how popular it got. I did like listening to my brother's copy of Vitalogy, but I wasn't quite there yet. When No Code came out I didn't really pay much attention to it, so I didn't experience the divisiveness of it. It wasn't until Yield and finally seeing them live that it all came together, and we've been in sync ever since. Now I love every one of those early albums.
  • Options
    JensStillHereJensStillHere Columbus, Ohio Posts: 101

Now they just need to do something like that again. It's overdue.

Agreed. Maybe Eddie playing with Jack Irons at Ohana will inspire him to get a little weird again.
  • Options
    djklambakedjklambake PHX, AZ Posts: 2,510
    I still find all of us to be extremely fortunate that - to this very day - we get to see them play the music that has been the soundtrack to the lives of most of us here. Great article and important perspective!
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,820
    great article. just made me realize: 2 years since my last show. 3 years the one prior. 6 years the one prior. 2 years the one prior to that. and TEN YEARS before that one.

I need to see this band again. And SOON.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,912
    Great article...one the better articles I've read about the band in a while. Just shows how poignant this album is.
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,810
    Cool article. No Code always seemed to me a step from grunge to alternative.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,455
    Fucking NO Code! You beautiful bastard! I can't stop thinking about it since it's birthday.
    I googled No Code reviews and must have read 30 of them, old and new.

Unfortunately the quote I best relate to is " Pearl Jam knew what they were doing with No Code. I did not."
    I too shelved the CD and it would take years for me to fully appreciate it so I feel like I owe it an apology. Haha!
  • Options
    TJ25487 said:

Unfortunately the quote I best relate to is " Pearl Jam knew what they were doing with No Code. I did not."
    I too shelved the CD and it would take years for me to fully appreciate it so I feel like I owe it an apology. Haha!

me too. at the time, I wasn't one of the ones who "got it". I didn't mind the songs, but something got lost on me at that period. I didn't even really pay much attention to them at that moment in time.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Their best LP in many ways.

Always skeptical of articles written about PJ (few good ones that understand the band, music well enough) but this is a good one that's worth reading, especially if you're a longtime fan who lived through the mid-90s with the band.

Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    "Pendulum" and "Infallible" would fit well in the No Code-era.

Always blows my mind they released four records from 1991-96. They survived and the music will last forever.

Would love to get Randalls as a Vault release.
  • Options

TJ25487 said:

me too. at the time, I wasn't one of the ones who "got it". I didn't mind the songs, but something got lost on me at that period. I didn't even really pay much attention to them at that moment in time.

True that Hugh but I have found this to be true to a lesser degree of most PJ releases as they never seem to make the same record twice.
    When I heard Daughter on the radio before VS was released and after playing Ten a gazzilion and one times I said WTF?
    Even now I can go back to any of their records and find something astounding that I didn't realize before.
  • Options
    jp307677jp307677 Boston Posts: 415
    Pendulum is definitely a No Code throwback
  • Options
    jp307677 said:

Pendulum is definitely a No Code throwback

Could you imagine if they ended No Code with Pendulum? Whaaaaaaat!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    TJ25487 said:

TJ25487 said:

True that Hugh but I have found this to be true to a lesser degree of most PJ releases as they never seem to make the same record twice.
    When I heard Daughter on the radio before VS was released and after playing Ten a gazzilion and one times I said WTF?
    Even now I can go back to any of their records and find something astounding that I didn't realize before.
    yes, I remember hearing Go for the first time on the radio, with Oceans being my favourite track off Ten, I was just a tad taken aback. But I loved it. Every other record I have listened to a lot when it first came out. No Code dropped me. But then it picked me back up again way later in the game.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com