Options

$65 on customs for 2x hoodies?!

Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
edited August 2016 in The Porch
$65 on customs for 2x hoodies?! what the fuck. I ordered the black Seattle one and got no charges but for the grey ones I do?

Comments

• Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    I don't know what you're puttin down Brisk.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,159
    Not much anyone can say unless you provide more details. If I were a betting man I'd guess you were Canadian and received them via a courier? With couriers you usually end up paying more for their brokerage fees (What they charge you to assess the taxes) rather than taxes. When shipping things over the board you kind of have to know how it works, how to ship things, and how to avoid fees. Most Canadians learn the first time they get a UPS package shipped over the boarder. Even if you're not Canadian, it's probably similar.
  • Options
    I'm from the UK. Just comes through our normal postal Royal Mail system.
  • Options
    alexross42alexross42 Posts: 364
    Sounds like you were lucky the first time - anything over £15 incurs VAT at the applicable rate for the item ordered plus you'll get the added 'bonus' of a Royal Mail handling fee on top - when I ordered the Ten Super Deluxe I almost ended up paying for it twice through the additional fees!
    It sucks but sometimes 10C is the only route for certain items and we ultimately pay over the odds.
    My Music, 'Crowd of Oaks' - Spotify | Bandcamp

Manchester 2000 :: Cardiff 2000 :: Prague 2006 :: London 2007 :: Manchester 2009 :: London 2009 :: Manchester I 2012 :: Manchester II 2012 :: Milton Keynes 2014 :: London I 2018 :: London II 2018

*BRAD* Birmingham 2013 :: London 2013
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,709
    the shitty exchange rate isnt helping either
  • Options
    dottlesdottles Posts: 9,136
    Customs are increasingly stopping parcels now. I heard that they have upped the ratio of checks and so in the past where things have gotten through without charges (luckily) they will be few and far between now. It's a way the Government can increase income as the threshold is £15.
    10C declares the paid value on the customs declarations, I know some companies declare the production cost value which is often substantially lower, though if legal I'm not so sure!

Paul, on the exchange rate - I agree :(
    Though I often use a prepayment card for buying stuff not in sterling. It's called Revolut and it uses the interbank rate, so I periodically add cash when the rate is better. I got it at $1.5 to £1 just before Brexit and before I went to Fenway I was getting $1.33 to £1 - which considering wasn't too bad. It has no charges for spending or withdrawal of cash and you can hold multiple currencies at one time (I have a balance in both Euros and $)
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • Options
    Dam thanks for the infos. Worst thing is I accidentally ordered 2. I need to return one so could I skip paying one fee and get them to send it back?
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,159
    wow... I thought we had it bad in Canada, but it sounds like importing into the UK is even worse :(
  • Options
    Might just be better off putting the 2nd one on eBay and only selling to someone on your side of the pond.
  • Options
    That's a good idea weinerface
  • Options
    rock4everrock4ever Posts: 237
    Brisk. said:

$65 on customs for 2x hoodies?! what the fuck. I ordered the black Seattle one and got no charges but for the grey ones I do?

Might be an Idea if you can get a mate in the US on here to buy the gear for you and then send it over and lover the cost on the customs declaration form, and send them as gifts. As everything seams to get checked now, plus the royal mail are bastards they even charge you £8 for the privilege of passing it through customs. Im expecting a hefty customs bill on the vault vinyl and the no code / yield re issues. $ rate is crap so the £17 we are allowed gets swallowed up pretty quick, I'M afraid.
  • Options
    After all of that the Small hoodie is still far too big for me. Why are all of their sizes so large! The Black Seattle hoodie actually fits great.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    Brexxxit

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore