Options

Who writes comics?

Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
I have a book, "Making Comics," by Scott McCloud that I like. What other books would you suggest?
There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird

Comments

• Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    Rob writes comics. They are true story comics about what life was like in the 1800's. Look up his work.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,185
    Mr. TSURT

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,919

Rob writes comics. They are true story comics about what life was like in the 1800's. Look up his work.

Cool. Where can we find these comics?
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    HHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Sea said:

Perhaps under a tiny blanket somewhere in Philly. (Kidding with you.)

Rob is a wonderful illustrator and would bust out some fabulous comics.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    Sea said:

Much like a lot of PJ merch they were only released in a very limited quantity and are very hard to get your hands on. I will watch out for a copy for you.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    Rob only allows a limited number of people at any given time to view his material.
  • Options
    SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,919
    Well then in the mean time, lets get back to the original topic. Thank you for respecting topic integrity and not derailing discussions from the original post.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,185
    Mr. TSurt

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Snorting whiskey, Drinking cocaine is great
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    I'm a Calvin and Hobbes fan myself. Not sure that was the direction you were wanting.

A local artist, Dennis Kramer, used to do some work for my husband at the park system he used to work for. He was an illustrator and comic strip guy. Tried to track him down. He is an odd guy. Used to walk around barefoot everywhere he went. There is a possibility that he changed his name to Dennis Crabapple McClain. I have no idea. He would strike me as a book guy.

Josh Davis is a previous coworker of mine. He had an illustration piece in the Conan O'Brien show a few years back. Not positive that he did comic strips but his illustrations would definitely lend to something that could work for that. No books, but a fabulous artist.

Matt Miller. https://www.facebook.com/artofmattmiller Used to work with Matt, too. Love Matt. Miss him. Another illustrator, but spans his art into several directions. Just came back from a year in France with his fiancee. He's now running around Akron and doing great things. Again, no book, but a great artist who would have work that could work for that. So, I'm not saying that he hasn't done comic strip work.

Tangential additions, but gorgeous additions. Dennis would be your comic strip book guy-- if you can find him.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    Thank you, deadendp!

Can anyone suggest books on how to draw comics?
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,682
    I'm fairly sure we have a few at the store but I'm working at home today. I'll try to remember to look at what we have and check out some titles for you, Ms Haiku.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    EchoesOnMarsEchoesOnMars Reading, Pennsylvania Posts: 422
    Like my terrible vinyl addiction, I also have a comic book addiction. Depends what kind of market you're into. Plenty of good superhero books I could suggest, but I know a lot of good stand out graphic novels that aren't superhero related.
    Philadelphia 2013 (Night 1)
    Philadelphia 2016 (Night 2)
    Upper Darby 2016 (Night 2) (Temple of the Dog)

• Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    One of my goals when I was young was to write and draw for MAD magazine. I used to draw movie and book parodies - I did a fake romance comic back when I was in college. (These days I like graphic novels, like Maus and Fun Home.)

photo Goodbye2Love2_zpsck41g1r4.jpeg
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    ^^^
    Enkidu said:

One of my goals when I was young was to write and draw for MAD magazine. I used to draw movie and book parodies - I did a fake romance comic back when I was in college. (These days I like graphic novels, like Maus and Fun Home.)

Persimmons! Haha, I love it!
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Here's all I came up with today, Ms Haiku, but they look like good books

The Cartoonist's Work Book by Robin Hall ISBN 0-8069-9673-0

The Complete Book of Caricaturing by Bob Staake, ISBN 0-89134-367-9

Hope that helps!

• Options
    brianlux said:

I'm fairly sure we have a few at the store but I'm working at home today. I'll try to remember to look at what we have and check out some titles for you, Ms Haiku.

Thank you, brianlux!
  • Options

Like my terrible vinyl addiction, I also have a comic book addiction. Depends what kind of market you're into. Plenty of good superhero books I could suggest, but I know a lot of good stand out graphic novels that aren't superhero related.

Non-superhero-type, EchoesOnMars
  • Options
    Enkidu said:

photo Goodbye2Love2_zpsck41g1r4.jpeg

Cool, Enkidu!
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Hope that helps!

Awesome! Thank you, brianlux.
  • Options
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    cool stuff.. seeya later
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku said:

brianlux said:

Hope that helps!

Awesome! Thank you, brianlux.
    And thank you, Ms Haiku! This might just motivate me to finally get my book of crazy cartoons together (some of which I included in my last little book of odds and ends).