Options

do pearl jam play to many cover songs in one night?

2»

Comments

• Options

I think 5-7 covers in a 3hr show is perfect. There are a few I'd like to see retired and a few that I'd like back in the rotation, but that's just personal preference.

I agree I'd like to see some old ones back in the mix. And shelve some of the current ones that they have been playing the last few years.
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,492
    First thing I thought when I saw the setlist from last night. Way too many covers! One or two is fine, but they have so much material that they don't need to supplement with covers. I'm sure every band loves playing covers, but most fans don't come to the shows to see a cover band.
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    mcgruff10 said:

Op i agree with you, way too many covers. I've said it many times before, but i'd love to be at a show where nothing but pearl jam songs are played.

This..although i loved surrender last night.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,524
    edited August 2016
    I dig covers. The only problem with PJ is that they use certain covers too often. I'd like to hear as many, but from a wider selection of song choices, more surprises, more unexpected one-offs. I want to think, "holy shit, I can't believe they're playing this!" more often, for both covers and tags (not to mention original improvs!). They used to do this more in the old days. Then they got comfortable and less experimental, less risky.
    But some of their semi-staple covers are still amazing. For me, Love Reign never gets old.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    pearldavidsonpearldavidson PA Posts: 1,356
    1-2 covers a night is best.
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,776

The covers they play are so often played better than the originals imo. I love hearing their respectful yet creative spin on an already kick ass song. Masters of war is just immense and seems like it should never, ever be played by any other band again. It's like the song finally found its home on mikes guitar and in eds angry, heartfelt passion.

I feel the same for CN.
    I actually completely concur on that one too.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    mpar17mpar17 Posts: 161
    Way too many. I'm good with 2.
    96 Hartford
    98 Hartford
    10 Hartford
    13 Hartford
    14 Denver
    16 MSG 1+2, Fenway 2
  • Options
    leep75leep75 Posts: 265
    They did last night!

leep
  • Options
    StevieGStevieG Ontario Posts: 850
    No such thing as too many covers
    Barrie, ON - Aug 22, 1998
    London, ON - Sep 12, 2005
    Toronto, ON - Aug 21, 2009
    Toronto, ON- Sep 11 2011
    Hamilton, ON- Sep 15 2011
    London, ON- Jul 16 2013
    Buffalo, NY- Oct 12 2013
  • Options
    StevieG said:

No such thing as too many covers

Agreed
    I hope the cover Photograph next!
  • Options
    mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,160
    I love the covers, but last night was a little much. Over 20% were covers.
  • Options
    JLank11JLank11 Posts: 31
    So here are the covers from last night (at least how I would define them):

Rain - perfect context for this show. Great idea, great song.

Masters of War - I have no understanding for anyone that wouldn't want all their family and friends to experience the emotion attached to this song. Seriously, this 5 minutes was worth the price of admission. No joke.

I Am A Patriot - Loved this fast version. Again, not sure why anyone would want to deprive future crowds from experiencing this song as it was played.

I Believe In Miracles - C'mon..given the context/introduction it made great sense and was a great choice.

Comfortably Numb - Just stop. I would have been happy to have hit rewind and replay this one. Plus the intro of Eddie sitting on the rocks and dreaming of the possibilities of life. Seriously...stop.

Surrender - I mean maybe they could have skipped this one but I thought the crowd reacted quite well. I know my section did.

Baba - Loved it.

So there you have it. Which ones would you have eliminated? I thought each added to the show and each had quite a bit of emotion.
  • Options
    JLank11 said:

Rain
    Masters of War
    I Am A Patriot
    I Believe In Miracles
    Comfortably Numb
    Surrender
    Baba
    So there you have it. Which ones would you have eliminated? I thought each added to the show and each had quite a bit of emotion.

Wow that is a big chunk in a setlist that is not PJ songs.
    All that is missing is Sonic Reducer - what a mood killer, no Pearl Jam fan wants to hear this live.
    I realize we all get old but enough drawing on the nostalgia already and play some fucking Pearl Jam.

• Options
    ambst95ambst95 Posts: 125
    i don't mind the covers. I think the juxtaposition of masters of war and patriot last night were great. I do wish they'd had played something off Riot Act. They're reissuing No Code next month and didn't play anything off that as well. You may have convinced a new fan seeing them the first time to try out the new record. I'd of gladly traded any of the other covers for at least one song off each album. I understand they recently started playing CN and it was new for Chicago, I think it's being over used though. Then they immediately go to interstellar. That's 2 Pink Floyd covers in a row?

They can play whatever they like. I'm just glad they're playing. I think a lot of fans would just like to hear some of those gems from the late 90s/early 2000s. Even a great song like Getaway off of LB has been played just one more time than CN and is generally well received among the fans. The covers are great when they surprise you. Rain was a great example last night. I think most of us knew we had a good chance to hear CN long before we got in to Wrigley. It's a great cover though, I just like it when the band is less predictable.
    2003: 4/26 Pittsburgh, PA
    2008: 6/20 Camden, NJ
    2009: 10/28 Philadelphia, PA
    2013: 10/22 Philadelphia, PA; 10/27 Baltimore, MD
    2016: 4/20/ Raleigh, NC; 4/28 Philadelphia, PA; 4/29 Philadelphia, PA; 8/20 Chicago, IL
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,046
    2 of my 3 top moments of the night were covers.

3. Surrender (we're all alright!!!!!! We're all alright!!)
    2. Inside Job (Gleason intro--- wow)
    1. Masters of War (find a video and watch it. Now. )
  • Options
    I love the covers, and it really doesn't bother me if they do a lot of them. In fact, I tend to buy the bootlegs that have covers that aren't played too often. :)
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    not really, but it would be nice if they limited the 'classic rock' covers and added some more modern ones.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,887
    The only time covers bother me is after the show when I look at the setlist and see originals scratched. When they're bumping up against curfew I'd like to see the covers scratched and the originals played. In the end though the show they did play is invariably awesome. No matter what songs did it didn't make the cut.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    I'm glad some folks felt the same way I did about the Saturday show. Just way too many covers. Too many obscure covers for the non-hardcore fans. I just want to hear some Pearl Jam. I love this band and love going to their shows. I just want to hear them play their music. Their catalog is so vast. It takes away from the really good covers when you water down a show like that.

It's OK to not love absolutely everything a band does. I don't understand why some people have to agree with absolutely every choice a band makes and everything they do. That was my 16th show on Saturday and it was easily the lamest setlist. The band still sounded great and it was still a beautiful night. It does demean my experience or anybody else's to just be honest about the choice of songs. You play 7 full covers alongside multiple Backspacer & LB tracks. I'm not sure who that is for. That said, I have no doubt that tonight is going to be epic/awesome. Let's hear a beautiful Given to Fly, maybe rip some Not for You, and have an epic Rearviewmirror. Just a few predictions but we'll all find out soon enough. Have a great show tonight everyone!
    Oct 00 - East Troy aka The Ice Bowl
    Apr 03 - Champaign
    Jun 03 - East Troy
    May 06 - Chicago
    Jun 06 - Summerfest 1 & 2
    Aug 09 - Chicago 1 & 2
    May 10 - Noblesville
    Sept 11 - PJ20 1 & 2
    July 13 - Wrigley
    Oct 13 - Pittsburgh
    Oct 14 - Moline & Milwaukee
    Aug 16 - Wrigley 1 & 2