Options

First One w/ Son : fellow fans say "hi" (GA WRIGLEY 20th)

jhaltomjhaltom Posts: 6
edited August 2016 in The Porch
I'm not a big 10C forum poster or troll. I usually hate these types of posts and feel pro-actively disingenuous dropping this note, expecting the usual troll bait ("b: not having an act is your act"). I'm not seeking favors: I'm just a fan since the 90's and getting to as many shows as I can (I think Wrigley will make it ~#27). Somewhere on this long road I had the privilege of becoming a dad to 3 boys. I love Pearl Jam. It is the soundtrack of my life - and I've shared it with my kids. Hopefully a 10C fan out there reads this, can relate, and can make my son's day @ Wrigley on the 20th.

In early 2016, my youngest son started having multiple seizures a day - ranging from doctors call "normal" to "severe"- and which I call humbling, scary, and paralyzing. We spent a lot of months in and out of the hospital and guessing -- and we've thankfully and blessedly finally gotten them under reasonable control thanks to doctors, meds, a lot of patience I never knew my wife and I had, and a ton of guts from a little kid.

His request : "I wanna see Pearl Jam with you. I want to hear them play Alive". So - we'll be there. GA in the back somewhere, in line as much and as long as we can. I'll be there with my 8 year old. If you think an 8 year old is too young - save your post. He's earned it. If you want to say we're misinterpreting "Alive" by turning it into our own inspiration, save your post. He's earned it.

We're blessed : compared to others we have nothing to complain about. But - Simply: If you see a thankful parent with a happy 8-year old in Wrigley GA - feel free to ask if he's Cooper. If so, just say Hi. Congratulate him on his first show.
Post edited by jhaltom on

Comments

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,735
    Happy to hear that your son is doing better. I think you may have this forum wrong. They have been nothing but supportive and helpful to me in the past. Everyone has an opinion on what age is good for GA. You know best for what is good with your son and let that be your guide.
  • Options
    KevinmanKevinman Atlanta, GA USA Posts: 1,905
    I won't be in GA to say hi, but hope you have a good time with your son. Have fun and enjoy, don't worry about what others think.
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    Oh yeah, you guys will have a blast! Have fun OP!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Thank you. We can use all the support! I apologize if my post seemed too defensive - my fault. You're right on- thank you!
  • Options
    Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,861
    PJNB said:

Happy to hear that your son is doing better. I think you may have this forum wrong. They have been nothing but supportive and helpful to me in the past. Everyone has an opinion on what age is good for GA. You know best for what is good with your son and let that be your guide.

Could not be said better. Here you are going to have nothing but support. I hope to see you guys around, and I am granted an opportunity to stop and say hello. Cheers to your son having the time of his life with the most amazing band. See you guys in a few days.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Hahaha - preemptive defensiveness can be warranted. Sometimes the judgments of a handful detract from the overwhelming kindness of the people here.

Have a blast, and may your son remain healthy.
  • Options
    At my last PJ show, there was a father and his son at the end of the row. Everyone around them kept high fiving the kid throughout the show. I'll think he'll be fine!
    I'm through with screaming
  • Options
    thanks again. Send doubt to the universe and goodness comes back. Great stuff and community.
  • Options
    Gtilley8Gtilley8 Detroit Posts: 985
    hedonist said:

Hahaha - preemptive defensiveness can be warranted. Sometimes the judgments of a handful detract from the overwhelming kindness of the people here.

Have a blast, and may your son remain healthy.

Generally, the only people you'd catch crap from are the ones you see with "ISO - 2 GA night 1 or 2" posts.

Hope you enjoy it with your son. Can't wait until my kid is born, and gets to an age where I can take him to PJ! I'll have to settle for in the womb this weekend.
    2000 - 8/21 - Columbus, OH
    2003 - 6/18 - Chicago, IL
    2006 - 5/22 - Auburn Hills, MI
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL
    2015 - 9/26 - New York, NY
    2016 - 4/16 - Greenville, SC; 8/20 - Chicago, IL; 8/22 - Chicago, IL
    2018 - 8/18 - Chicago, IL; 8/20 - Chicago, IL

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3045
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    enjoy the time with your son that's all that matters...you know what is best for him..hope you have a blast
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,834
    That's awesome. Glad he's doing better. Hope to see y'all in Chicago and have to opportunity to give Coop a big high-five :smiley:

As a fellow father of three boys, I'm really looking forward to taking my oldest to his first show...hopefully in 2017!
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    :hug:
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    Don't worry about any negative comments. They might never come on the boards here. You may get few rolling eyes or looks at the show, but don't let it bother you. Just have a blast with your son. Put him on your shoulders for few songs. Jump up and down singing. No worries. Maybe will see you in the back of GA somewhere at Wrigley and say hello. I guarantee you he will be smiling. :peace:
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    thank you! Looking forward to it - and I think he's too excited to sleep until then. Excellent support and suggestions from the community!
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Good stuff have a great time
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,772
    Enjoy the show!
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    ... literally woke up this morning with an excited 8 year old singing PJ. See everyone tomorrow - remember to say hi to Cooper if you see him!
  • Options
    waveruewaverue Posts: 108
    We will look for you!! Will have Noah (11) and his 6 year old sister Aliyah and then the other family who we ran the PJ Next Gen EB fundraiser with. We have tons of friends in the GA line (though we are not, unfortunately!!) so we will be hanging out for a chunk of the day with them. See you tomorrow!
  • Options
    Thank you :
    To the security guard that helped with Coopers meds...
    To the sober and inebriated that helped us during the concert...
    To the security manager that looked the other way when Cooper stood on the barrier...
    To the couple that offered to let Cooper use their seats as he tired very very late in the night..
    To the countless high fives...
    To the band - that made the night memorable and rocking....

if you saw a happy eight year old ROCKING on my shoulders just inside GA - that was us. Perfection.
    Thank you 10C and community!!!
  • Options
    Awesome!!! I'm taking my 11 year old son for his first show tonight!!!! It's so cool to be able to share Pearl Jam with your kids.