Thank yous, the day after a LBC kinda day...

IamTomIamTom Posts: 1,138
edited August 2016 in The Porch
At Given To Live we don't get big donations or sponsorships. We'd love to and hopefully we will but for now we manage on the generosity of individuals making donations.

A little while ago we had a generous donor contribute specifically for Joshua to see Pearl Jam again. After many conversations between Christina and I the Swansons decided a hometown show was to much for Joshua to miss. Up until that point they were going to skip the show and find a fan to buy their tickets as moving house is hitting them hard financially. But it's going to be a home with all Joshie needs so it's a sacrifice more than worth making for them.

So next thing is how do we get ADA tickets? How do we get Joshua somewhere he can see. He has 2D vision so being close of in a clear line of sight is important. In the end the best option was going in GA and hoping it works out but also knowing this is where Joshua wants to be, with his band, his friend. Then this morning GTL got a message from someone asking if we'd found ADA tix for Joshua yet because if not he could help.

Most of us love a band and have friends, partners, jobs, hobbies. Can go to the movies, to the store to buy a soda. Joshua has Pearl Jam. He can't tell you what's going on so Christina doesn't really know why Joshie listened to Yellow Ledbetter for 15 hours straight a few days ago, specific versions with Little Wing or Star Spangled Banner. But maybe it's because his teacher Miss Carrie has left his school and she'd play YL for him at the end of the day if he'd kept his side of behavioural bargains and he misses her. Or is it to comfort during the upheaval of his home being made ready to sell? Or something else entirely? But he'd go crazy if it wasn't on so it stayed on.

So when I got this message the answer was yes we do need help with ADA. We arranged to speak this afternoon and a beautiful story unfolded. The story of an honest mistake being to big a weight on a conscience. Wishing to remain anonymous this latest friend of Joshua told me this.

Having got on the rail for a show earlier in the year he knew he wanted to do it again. So after being shut out of the Wrigley sale he went on stubhub and saw tickets available in a tiny section in front of the stage and wanting to keep his promise to himself he bought two tickets. Great tickets. Tickets in front of GA. When he read the email confirmation these tickets turned out to be in the disabled section. He had no idea this was what he'd bought. He didn't know what ADA meant until reading the email. Now he was in a bind.

In a bind he could easily have got out of because he's a disabled veteran having served as a Marine. He has every right to be there. But his disability is a mild limp and PTSD and he just didn't feel comfortable taking seats away from someone who might need it for a wheelchair. He felt he had no right to these tickets and also remembering the kindness and generosity of a family fans to him at a show earlier in the year felt inspired to pay it forward and went searching for someone to donate the tickets to.

Now, thanks to this wonderful man's sense of doing the right thing Joshua has a 4th row seat on Mike's side for Wrigley 2. When I skyped Christina to tell her she took a good while to make sense. She was processing and saying oh my god a lot. Saying how incredible a gesture. Not believing but knowing it was true. You see Christina knows Pearl Jam is his life. Joshua will never bring his first girlfriend home to meet mum, never graduate, never pass his driving test. Her biggest fear is he will be too big to care for at home so will need to go into care. So a 4th row seat for her boy isn't just a 4th row seat, it's seeing her son happy, smiling, maybe standing again, maybe dancing with mum's help. It's Joshua being where he's home, happy.

There are two tickets and we somehow want to find to more so the family can be fully together. Christina can't fully manage Joshua on her own as she has her own health issues which legitimately could entitle her to a disabled space in her own right but she doesn't want to take away from Joshie or get attention - sometimes having conditions which aren't immediately visible is far more difficult to be accepted for because some of society expect a disability to come with a wheelchair.

We're not sure how or if it's even possible to get the extra ADA tickets. It's galling to see tickets in the same row on stubhub for $1k each.

Joshua is going to see his friends at Wrigley, the Love Boat Captain will sail again.

Thank you so much to this wonderful Vet who gave up his tickets because he knew it meant more to do the right thing than to see a show up close.

Christina's messaged me to say her husband Josh can't believe it. When I finished the call with Christina she'd gathered her wits after tears of joy for her boy and said something that really struck deeply; Joshua hates Christmas, hates wrapping paper, mum and dad try and find gifts for him and nothing works except Pearl Jam stuff. This is like all his Christmases have come at once for Joshua, the real Christmas which isn't an ordeal. The Christmases of love, wonder, joy, surprise. Joshua's getting his very own Christmas party at Wrigley with the best Santas ever.
Given To Live -

Latest story - Declan at Slipknot is up on the website now at www.giventolive.com along with Kayleigh at Foo Fighters, Tony at Stereophonics and more.

Inspired by Pearl Jam, making live music dreams come true.
Post edited by IamTom on

Comments

• elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,047
    Wow a true American Hero continues to give. Thank you for all you give
  • cmaliszecmalisze Posts: 2,626
    Unreal! Kudos to the donor.
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    What incredible generosity :clap::clap::clap:
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,680
    Think this young man may need a few presents at Wrigley to make this a real Xmas for him

As ever Tom, great work
  • IamTomIamTom Posts: 1,138
    pdalowsky said:

Think this young man may need a few presents at Wrigley to make this a real Xmas for him

As ever Tom, great work

So long as there's no wrapping paper involved Im sure GTL will help fill a wee stocking.

Thank you :)
    Given To Live -

Latest story - Declan at Slipknot is up on the website now at www.giventolive.com along with Kayleigh at Foo Fighters, Tony at Stereophonics and more.

Inspired by Pearl Jam, making live music dreams come true.
  • Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,861
    I know that this has been a struggle for the family, deciding wether taking Joshua to the show was going to be manageable and comfortable for him. I was always hoping that they would decide to take Joshua to the show because of the joy that it will bring not just to Joshua but the whole family as they watch him enjoy the band we all love, and just losing himself in the moment when everything in life just seems perfect to us. I had also hoped they would decide to make the trip so that each one of us (at least I know I do) would maybe have the opportunity to stop, meet the family and just show them the support they have from each and every one of us. Joshua has a lot of fans rooting for him, and we would all love to see him have another moment to enjoy the one thing that is absolutely meaningful and therapeutic to him. When we read stories like this, it is very refreshing to know that all is not lost in the world today. The gesture that this Vet has done is absolutely amazing, to see someone who has sacrificed so much for his/her country and others that he/she does not know and will never know, a person who rightfully so also deserves those tickets, goes on and continues to make selfless gestures like this is truly incredible and something that words will never begin to describe. It's always a treat and a pleasure to read these updates, knowing that Joshua is doing well, and that there is still a lot of hope for our future. The Love Boat Captain will sail again, and I can't wait to see him and the family losing themselves in the moment in the next couple of weeks. See you guys in Wrigley. Cheers.
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,832
    IamTom said:

Joshua is going to see his friends at Wrigley, the Love Boat Captain will sail again.

Thank you so much to this wonderful Vet who gave up his tickets because he knew it meant more to do the right thing than to see a show up close.

Joshua's getting his very own Christmas party at Wrigley with the best Santas ever.

:clap::heart:
    To Joshua, the LBC.... :rock_on:

• motarmotar Posts: 141
    jjflash said:

IamTom said:

Joshua's getting his very own Christmas party at Wrigley with the best Santas ever.

:clap::heart:
    To Joshua, the LBC.... :rock_on:

Well said.
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,631
    ENJOY WRIGLEY, JOSHUA!!
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• motarmotar Posts: 141
    Most venues will hold a few ADA seats to help relocate people the day of an event. In the past I have had no problem going to guest services at a couple venues (Msg, Wells Fargo, Pepsi center) and asking them to exchange 2 regular seats and 1 ada seat for 3 ada seats in a different section.
  • KC16857KC16857 Posts: 3
    edited August 2016
    This is so beautiful; cried tears of joy when I read it. What wonderful work Given to Live does and bless the donor and Joshua!
    KC
  • pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    I need to quit reading this stuff while I am at work people are going to think im an emotional wreck

kudos Joshua and to the ever giving Vet may karma come and treat him well
  • wwsuicidewwsuicide Posts: 1,303
    Wonderful to hear he will make the show!!!
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Ray J. T. said:

I know that this has been a struggle for the family, deciding wether taking Joshua to the show was going to be manageable and comfortable for him. I was always hoping that they would decide to take Joshua to the show because of the joy that it will bring not just to Joshua but the whole family as they watch him enjoy the band we all love, and just losing himself in the moment when everything in life just seems perfect to us. I had also hoped they would decide to make the trip so that each one of us (at least I know I do) would maybe have the opportunity to stop, meet the family and just show them the support they have from each and every one of us. Joshua has a lot of fans rooting for him, and we would all love to see him have another moment to enjoy the one thing that is absolutely meaningful and therapeutic to him. When we read stories like this, it is very refreshing to know that all is not lost in the world today. The gesture that this Vet has done is absolutely amazing, to see someone who has sacrificed so much for his/her country and others that he/she does not know and will never know, a person who rightfully so also deserves those tickets, goes on and continues to make selfless gestures like this is truly incredible and something that words will never begin to describe. It's always a treat and a pleasure to read these updates, knowing that Joshua is doing well, and that there is still a lot of hope for our future. The Love Boat Captain will sail again, and I can't wait to see him and the family losing themselves in the moment in the next couple of weeks. See you guys in Wrigley. Cheers.

Exactly.

Excellent, Tom!

• DL3031DL3031 Posts: 21
    Just an amazing story! The people that make up this community do some amazing things. I was at Philly 1 in the spring and was so delighted to see Joshua and hear LBC. Can't wait to see the videos from Wrigley!
  • DR108002DR108002 Posts: 148
    I was trying to think of something original to say, but I couldn't find better words than those conveyed in the previous post - so I will simply repeat them:
    "When we read stories like this, it is very refreshing to know that all is not lost in the world today. The gesture that this Vet has done is absolutely amazing, to see someone who has sacrificed so much for his/her country and others that he/she does not know and will never know, a person who rightfully so also deserves those tickets, goes on and continues to make selfless gestures like this is truly incredible and something that words will never begin to describe."
    Having pieced this story together with a previous post on the "official" facebook group, I think I know who this generous individual is. All I can say is this is not his first anonymous and extremely generous act of kindness in the Pearl Jam community. My sons just helped Noah and the Keeley family run a Pearl Jam-related fundraiser to win tickets to Wrigley Night 1 that raised over $35,000 for the EB Research Partnership. This same individual made an unbelievably generous donation - anonymously. (The only reason I know is because as one of the administrators of the campaign I had access to all names and donors). While I appreciate giving people are not motivated by expecting anything in return for their generosity, I also believe in good karma. I am wishing hopeful thoughts that he gets some good karma at Wrigley.
    I applaud and admire what you have done.
    Lukin35
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Ok so sounds like we may need to raise money for an expensive ADA seat and this beautiful amazing wonderful soldier needs 2 new tix too?
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
    FoxyRedLa said:

Ok so sounds like we may need to raise money for an expensive ADA seat and this beautiful amazing wonderful soldier needs 2 new tix too?

You are on to something there Foxy!
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    DR108002 said:

I was trying to think of something original to say, but I couldn't find better words than those conveyed in the previous post - so I will simply repeat them:
    "When we read stories like this, it is very refreshing to know that all is not lost in the world today. The gesture that this Vet has done is absolutely amazing, to see someone who has sacrificed so much for his/her country and others that he/she does not know and will never know, a person who rightfully so also deserves those tickets, goes on and continues to make selfless gestures like this is truly incredible and something that words will never begin to describe."
    Having pieced this story together with a previous post on the "official" facebook group, I think I know who this generous individual is. All I can say is this is not his first anonymous and extremely generous act of kindness in the Pearl Jam community. My sons just helped Noah and the Keeley family run a Pearl Jam-related fundraiser to win tickets to Wrigley Night 1 that raised over $35,000 for the EB Research Partnership. This same individual made an unbelievably generous donation - anonymously. (The only reason I know is because as one of the administrators of the campaign I had access to all names and donors). While I appreciate giving people are not motivated by expecting anything in return for their generosity, I also believe in good karma. I am wishing hopeful thoughts that he gets some good karma at Wrigley.
    I applaud and admire what you have done.

Another lovely post.

And Foxy, great idea. I'm willing to chip in - just not through Paypal!
  • rawpixelsrawpixels Posts: 912
    Thank you for all you do!
    One man stands alone awaiting
    for her to come home
    eyes upon the horizon
    in the dark before the
    darkness leaves the dawn
  • maverickmaverick Posts: 1,183
    Tom, you continue to amaze. Well done my friend. You are a good, good man.

Very happy for Josh!
  • moretonbayfigmoretonbayfig Australia Posts: 805
    Tom, you know I love your work :) Thank you to the anonymous veteran who is supporting Joshua and his family in such a generous way. I wish you every good fortune in securing the 2 additional ADA tickets so that Given to Live can give the LBC and his family the experience of a lifetime in their hometown.

I was at Philly 1 where 'our band' played LBC for Joshua. To see Joshua and his parents blissful and rocking out was such a gift. As the mother of a special needs child myself, to see Joshua embraced by the band and the crowd as a fellow PJammer was heartwarming. As a parent of a special needs child it means the absolute world for your child to be accepted and celebrated because it can be such a rare occurrence outside of the immediate family.

I followed Joshua's story via Facebook prior to Philly, and watched all the videos which provided an insight into some of his challenges but also into his deep love of Pearl Jam. I recognised a kindred spirit in Joshua and I hope he and his family have the hometown Wrigley experience that they deserve and can treasure for a lifetime.

Joshua you are the Love Boat Captain and eternally linked to this song for me and family. Much love to you xo
  • SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    Reading this has been a great way to start the day. There are so many great people in this community; it does the heart good. Looking forward to meeting Joshua and his parents at Wrigley. :rock_on:
    ELITIST FUK
    @Ray J T & @Hedo - raffle is an option
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    The Joshua saga continues to warm my heart. In a world of so much negativity, wonderful people like yourself and the anonymous Marine bring hope and smiles to all of us. Thank you for sharing this.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,047
    love reading the responses. fills my heart
    FoxyRedLa said:

@Ray J T & @Hedo - raffle is an option

I am in either way, Paypal, raffle, whatever works best.
  • -Buru--Buru- Santa Barbara, CA Posts: 1,292
    Beautiful story. I hope you can get those 2 extra ADA tickets, hopefully without having to feed the scalpers.

Thanks for all you do with GTL.
    I am just a dreamer, but you are just a dream...
    If I knew where it was I would take you there.

Ok I'll chat with Tom and see what's up.
    FoxyRedLa said:

Ok I'll chat with Tom and see what's up.

Sounds good.