Lack of Cellphones at Fenway

lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,874
edited August 2016 in The Porch
I was up in RF 94 and noticed a pleasant lack of cellphones being hoisted up during the show, both in front of me and out on the floor. While I do appreciate the videos people post, it was very cool not to have someone's screen shining in my eyes as I was trying to enjoy the show. I guess there are some courteous people out there in the world, more maybe people were just too into the show to watch it through their phone?
1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
Nothing since then. I suck.
2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
2022- Oakland Night 2
Post edited by lexicondevil on
Tagged:

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    Did u miss when everyone put their flashlights on? That was actually a really cool moment.
  • droptheleash9droptheleash9 Posts: 1,327
    Agreed with the OP. It was nice to be able to see everyone just enjoying the show.
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,759
    Still had a few in front of me in the 10c seats... not as bad as other shows, quick pic and phone goes back down. Really happy to see that.

The only exception was the crowd panoramas but it's possible I was surrounded by spinning drunks... ;)
    tschav said:

Still had a few in front of me in the 10c seats... not as bad as other shows, quick pic and phone goes back down. Really happy to see that.

The only exception was the crowd panoramas but it's possible I was surrounded by spinning drunks... ;)

SPINNERS!!!!
  • droptheleash9droptheleash9 Posts: 1,327
    tschav said:

Spinning drunks taking panoramic pictures during the 2nd chorus of black
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,874

Did u miss when everyone put their flashlights on? That was actually a really cool moment.

Saw that and it was really cool. I tried to hold up my Bic, old school-like. Most people on both nights were just a quick pic and even those were minimal.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    2022- Oakland Night 2

Saw that and it was really cool. I tried to hold up my Bic, old school-like. Most people on both nights were just a quick pic and even those were minimal.
    Me too. A few quick pics then back in the ol pocket.
  • fl4tdrivenfl4tdriven Moscow, PA Posts: 332
    I noticed this as well, besides the bros next to me that were more interested in Facebook at times.
    Philly 10/21/13 - MSG 5/1/16 - Fenway 8/5/16 - TOTD 11/4/16
  • kc007kc007 USA Posts: 282
    I noticed a general lack of cellphones, too, except for this one woman standing in front of our section who could not stop taking selfies of herself. I mean she was seriously in her own world taking about 100 selfies Someone finally asked her to stop it and find her seat. then she came back with her bf or husband or whoever and they proceeded to videotape themselves playing air guitar. I've never quite seen anything like it. Eddie Vedder and Pearl Jam are on stage and these two clowns are videotaping themselves playing air guitar.
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,874
    kc007 said:

I noticed a general lack of cellphones, too, except for this one woman standing in front of our section who could not stop taking selfies of herself. I mean she was seriously in her own world taking about 100 selfies Someone finally asked her to stop it and find her seat. then she came back with her bf or husband or whoever and they proceeded to videotape themselves playing air guitar. I've never quite seen anything like it. Eddie Vedder and Pearl Jam are on stage and these two clowns are videotaping themselves playing air guitar.

You should have started video taping them. It could have been some sort of surrealist art.
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • kc007kc007 USA Posts: 282

kc007 said:

You should have started video taping them. It could have been some sort of surrealist art.
    that's a good idea for next time, if it happens again, lol. I barely took my phone out all night, I was totally in the moment feeling the music and loving every minute of the show, and then these two are standing in front of us and everyone else and we all just looked at them like "seriouslly?"

• nothinasitseemsnothinasitseems New Jersey Posts: 1,507
    i was in RF 94 as well. i think that show was the least pic/video i've ever taken at a concert, haha. was too busy rocking out! there were a few people in front of me with their phones out though. not all night thankfully.
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Philly 1, Philly 2, MSG 1, MSG 2, Fenway 2
    2018: Fenway 1, Fenway 2
    2024: MSG 2, Philly 1, Philly 2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2
  • Paul-JamPaul-Jam Posts: 136
    was in B4 for FEN1 and was really surprised. Just like most of you, I just noticed a few quick pics and back down the phone went except for BLACK. That was amazing, phones can be cool at concerts sometimes. FEN2 was a different animal for me. RFbox 7 and the couple in front of me just decided to film every song that came up, not the whole song mind you but just a minute or so…what the hell, at least film the whole damn song. If you're gonna start, then finish it. I was tempted but i remembered seeing full HD video compilations of shows that were put together from HD youtube videos, amazing stuff, I figure i will just wait for those. So much nicer seeing the concert through my specs.
    2006  July-6               Las Vegas
    2006  July-18             San Francisco 3
    2009  October-6         Los Angeles 3
    2013  November-21   San Diego
    2013  November-26   Oakland
    2014  October-22       Denver
    2016  August-5           Fenway 1
    2016  August-7           Fenway 2
    2016  November-11    Temple of The Dog- San Francisco 1
    2018  August-18         Wrigley 1
    2018  August-20         Wrigley 2
    2018  September-4     Boston 2
    2022  May-18              Sacramento...fuck covid
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,308
    Most people are sooooo far away from the stage their pics don't come out that well on cell phones anyway...a crowd pic works, but most others are crap
  • There was a lady in front of me who was apparently involved in a high stakes game of words with friends because she kept sitting down to play it every 15 minutes or so.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    thevachon said:

There was a lady in front of me who was apparently involved in a high stakes game of words with friends because she kept sitting down to play it every 15 minutes or so.

:lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • I was pleasantly surprised with this also. Although it was still going on, and on a certain level I get it. But I did have a woman come stand next to me during one of the encores(I had an aisle seat and they were letting people move up, which is fine) stick her phone right in my view and start filming. After a few seconds I tapped her on the shoulder and gestured for her to get out of my way. So she did and continued filming while flipping me off. Classy gal.
    8/30/00, 7/11/03, 8/28/08, 8/30/08, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, PJ20, 10/15/13, 10/16/13, 10/25/13, Fenway 2016 1&2
    EV Solo Albany 1&2 09
  • Paul-JamPaul-Jam Posts: 136

I was pleasantly surprised with this also. Although it was still going on, and on a certain level I get it. But I did have a woman come stand next to me during one of the encores(I had an aisle seat and they were letting people move up, which is fine) stick her phone right in my view and start filming. After a few seconds I tapped her on the shoulder and gestured for her to get out of my way. So she did and continued filming while flipping me off. Classy gal.

I immediately had a picture in my head of the classy 'gal' without ever seeing her in person. Thanks for the laugh!
    2006  July-6               Las Vegas
    2006  July-18             San Francisco 3
    2009  October-6         Los Angeles 3
    2013  November-21   San Diego
    2013  November-26   Oakland
    2014  October-22       Denver
    2016  August-5           Fenway 1
    2016  August-7           Fenway 2
    2016  November-11    Temple of The Dog- San Francisco 1
    2018  August-18         Wrigley 1
    2018  August-20         Wrigley 2
    2018  September-4     Boston 2
    2022  May-18              Sacramento...fuck covid
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,719
    I like to get a good amount of pics and quick videos during the shows, but I'm sure to keep the camera right in front of my face so I'm not hindering the view of the people behind me.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
  • phan84phan84 Posts: 48
    edited August 2016
    We were in Terrace A. Noticed a ton of phones out all night. Kind of a bummer, but definitely did not effect my enjoyment! I had a fantastic time.
    Post edited by phan84 on