Options

Earth Overshoot Day

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718
Not meaning to bring a cloud over things here but we really would do well to understand what this is, what it is about why it is important and talk about what we can do about it. The math is simple. This can't go on if we want to go on.

"Earth Overshoot Day 2016: August 8

As of today, we humans have used as much from nature in 2016 as our planet can renew in a whole year. Nothing will seem to change for many of us from this day to the next, but collectively we are draining Earth’s capacity to provide. Overshoot Day is a red light warning of trouble ahead — and it is flashing five days earlier than it did last year (Aug. 13); eleven days earlier than the year before (Aug.19)."

http://voices.nationalgeographic.com/2016/08/08/earth-overshoot-day-arrives-earlier-than-ever/

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    Reminds me of y2k
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    Remember Harold Camping?
  • Options

Reminds me of y2k

Y2K was a real problem with potentially harmful consequences that was avoided by quick action by computer programmers.

Earth Overshoot day is a real problem with serious potential consequences for humans and many other species and can be at least lessened by quick action by concerned people everywhere.

The article is from National Geographic, not some sensationalist rag next to the check out counter at you local Walmart where people are lined up buying disposable non-durable crap, the majority of which they probably don't need anyway.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options

Remember Harold Camping?

It's depressing for me to see you writing this off as if it were some message scrawled on a piece of cardboard hung around the neck of an old eccentric walking down a dirty boulevard proclaiming, "The end is near!"

This is real. Look at where the link is from. Do you really make a connection between National Geographic and Harold Fucking Camping?

• Options
    ...please tell me you're pulling my leg!

• Options
    It really isn't difficult to get you riled up, is it?

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Thanks for sharing Brian ...

So most of the worlds budget run deficits and we borrow from future generations and are leaving them massive debt...

And now we are running resource deficits and will leave future generations with fewer resources...

Not looking good for future generations.

Hers's a question? Is the environmental movement to fragmented? Would the environmental movement be better served if we had 1 voice consisting of scientist and others inside the environmental movement? I would have thought the UN could be that one voice, but the UN is more a bureaucracy now that appears to carry little clout or solves very little.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options

It really isn't difficult to get you riled up, is it?

:lol: OK, fair enough!

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

Thanks for sharing Brian ...

So most of the worlds budget run deficits and we borrow from future generations and are leaving them massive debt...

And now we are running resource deficits and will leave future generations with fewer resources...

Not looking good for future generations.

Hers's a question? Is the environmental movement to fragmented? Would the environmental movement be better served if we had 1 voice consisting of scientist and others inside the environmental movement? I would have thought the UN could be that one voice, but the UN is more a bureaucracy now that appears to carry little clout or solves very little.

Good question, Lukin. The environmental movement is not only fractured, much of it is ineffectual because it chases it's tail with fund raising. I've dropped support from several environmental groups because they spend more of their time energy and money raising money (ironic as all get out!) than they do actually doing anything. In other words, they are hamstrung by their own bureaucracy. A few of the groups out there understand this and either take direct action (Sea Shepherd Conservation Society being one of the best examples) and/or combining forces to become more effective. For example, Wildlands Network was formerly Wildlands Project which joined with other smaller organizations to for the more effective Network. The Union of Concerned Scientists works well also because they bring together a larger body of knowledgeable professionals to study environmental issues. Natural Resources Defense Council brings together professionals working in environmental law to put pressure on both government and industry to reduce negative impact on environment.

I'm not sure placing all environment under one umbrella would work for the very reason that it could, as you suggest, get too bogged down in bureaucracy like the UN. On the other hand, I can certainly see advantages for more streamlining of environmental efforts.

• Options
    It is next to impossible to get this overshoot day to go back in the other direction. The United States could stop burning all coal tomorrow, and it would still be August 1, 2017.
  • Options

It is next to impossible to get this overshoot day to go back in the other direction. The United States could stop burning all coal tomorrow, and it would still be August 1, 2017.

See my signature below.

• Options
    brianlux said:

See my signature below.
    I hear ya.
  • Options

brianlux said:

See my signature below.
    I hear ya.
    Cool!

Yet I'll try not to be this dramatic, haha! :tongue:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq7TBG3vDw0

• Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    Very interesting Brian.
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    the environmental movement is not too fragmented ... it suffers from the same thing that plagues all of society ... misinformation ... and an easily manipulated population base ...

the same reasons why there is an obesity epidemic, unnecessary wars and widespread poverty is the same reasons why the environmental movement has not succeeded in turning the tide on our destructive behaviour ...
  • Options
    Ya know GWB gave deniers a voice, by creating a "debate" about climate change and censoring, then firing any scientist revealing truth to climate change. ...and people still think there is a debate.
    Earth Overshoot Day is devised by Global Footprint Network, an international think tank that coordinates research, develops methodological standards and provides decision-makers with a menu of tools to help the human economy operate within Earth’s ecological limits.
    No matter what we say Brian, deniers you always deny, refusing scientific anything to prove anything. So why bother with these people? I quoted the above just to point out that there are groups out there that want to help our earth yet you've got people in this forum who will just knock everything because they can. Use your time valuably on the people who want to create good things for this world and not those who are full of negative energy.

Peace
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Free said:

Ya know GWB gave deniers a voice, by creating a "debate" about climate change and censoring, then firing any scientist revealing truth to climate change. ...and people still think there is a debate.

Earth Overshoot Day is devised by Global Footprint Network, an international think tank that coordinates research, develops methodological standards and provides decision-makers with a menu of tools to help the human economy operate within Earth’s ecological limits.
    No matter what we say Brian, deniers you always deny, refusing scientific anything to prove anything. So why bother with these people? I quoted the above just to point out that there are groups out there that want to help our earth yet you've got people in this forum who will just knock everything because they can. Use your time valuably on the people who want to create good things for this world and not those who are full of negative energy.

Peace

I am relentlessly stubborn about wanting to share this kind of information. It's also a good reminder to myself to re-evaluate my own footprint. We do what we can here but there's always room for improvement.

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    hay Brian did see any stories about the auzzi that is making houses for the homeless with recycled plastic that was in part pulled from the ocean ? I don't know the link sorry.

Godfather.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Free said:

Peace
    I am relentlessly stubborn about wanting to share this kind of information. It's also a good reminder to myself to re-evaluate my own footprint. We do what we can here but there's always room for improvement.

Right on!
  • Options

hay Brian did see any stories about the auzzi that is making houses for the homeless with recycled plastic that was in part pulled from the ocean ? I don't know the link sorry.

Godfather.

No, but cool, will try to find a link, GF. Thanks! :smile:

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    brianlux said:

Godfather.

he made blocks out of plastic bottles and such and they needed no mortar to hold them together only the concrete footing and rebar

Godfather.

• Options

brianlux said:

Godfather.

he made blocks out of plastic bottles and such and they needed no mortar to hold them together only the concrete footing and rebar

Godfather.

Sounds like the ultimate in recycling. I wonder how well the block insulate?

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    August 2, 2017. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    August 2, 2017. 
    Six days earlier than last year. :frowning:

I did the math and correct me if I'm wrong but at this rate, by the year 2050, Earth Overshoot Day will be January 15th.  That is almost impossible to imagine.  What on earth are we doing?

• Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited August 2017
    I don't know if this belongs here but I think this is just so sad and totally awful.
    I think the Amazons is worth more than all the gold, silver and metals in the world. 

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-41033228
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • Options
    Annafalk said:
    I don't know if this belongs here but I think this is just so sad and totally awful.
    I think the Amazons is worth more than all the gold, silver and metals in the world. 

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-41033228
    Very bad news, indeed.

"Good grief we are weak...  We can't run all that far or fast, climb all that well or endure long without water.  Thinking of us in this way, we are simultaneously a miracle and a vexing frustration for Nature and the planet as both have conspired together since the beginning of human existence to bring us to an end before we are able to do it to them.  We're winning."

Henry Rollins, Before The Chop III, p. 152

• Options
    ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    Thanks Brian. 
  • Options
    Shyner said:
    Thanks Brian. 
    You're welcome, Shyner.  It's a fine book by the way.  Henry grows wise.