Options

Evan McMullin for President

Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/anti-trump-republican-to-launch-independent-presidential-bid/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab6a&linkId=27398505
A former CIA operations officer and chief policy adviser for the House Republican Conference on Capitol Hill announced Monday that he is launching a third-party presidential bid.

His name is Evan McMullin, 40, and he will file paperwork with the Federal Elections Commission as a presidential candidate on Monday, CBS News confirmed.

"In a year where Americans have lost faith in the candidates of both major parties, it's time for a generation of new leadership to step up," McMullin said in a statement on his official Facebook page. "It's never too late to do the right thing, and America deserves much better than either Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton can offer us. I humbly offer myself as a leader who can give millions of disaffected Americans a better choice for President."

He has little chance of winning the White House, however, because the deadlines to get onto states' ballots have already passed in 26 states, including in battlegrounds like North Carolina, Florida, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and large states like Illinois and Texas. He could potentially get onto roughly 26 state ballots, but it could also be a maximum of about 16 because more states have deadlines this week.

He already launched a website for his presidential bid Monday, asking supporters to sign up and join his campaign, as well as social media accounts.

McMullin publicly criticized Trump recently on Twitter.
Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana

Comments

• Options
    http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/290820-mcmullin-trump-going-to-lose-regardless
    Former CIA operative and conservative Republican Evan McMullin is defending his late independent presidential bid, arguing GOP nominee Donald Trump is bound to lose in November.

"He's alienated broad swaths of our population. Donald Trump cannot win," McMullin told ABC News in an interview aired Tuesday on "Good Morning America" when asked about Republicans who say that a vote for him is a vote for Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton.

"He is going to lose to Hillary regardless, he's demonstrated that already," McMullin added when asked if he'd feel guilty playing spoiler to Trump in a few states.

McMullin, 40, who served at the CIA for 11 years before working on Capitol Hill as a policy advisor for the House Republican Conference, launched his White House bid on Monday.

He immediately went after Trump as divisive and personally unstable and slammed Clinton as "a corrupt career politician who has recklessly handled classified information."

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718
    Seeing as this thread appears very lonely, I'm compelled to say... Evan who? haha

Don't know anything about him, Gern. Appears he might take away a few Trump votes but he's also stated what appears obvious (to me anyway) which is that Hillary will win.

All this worry about electing a president when it's a predetermined situation anyway.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Yeah it seems that no one gives a shit about Evan McMullin

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Poor Evan.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    It's highly unlikely that he will make in on the ballot of many/any states. The deadline has passed for many states at this point.
    And yeah, Evan who?? LOL.

http://reason.com/blog/2016/08/09/the-libertarian-party-has-qualified-for

As Nick Gillespie pointed out here earlier, latest #NeverTrump heartthrob Evan McMullin, who is trying to maintain at least a toehold of government influence for Goldman Sachs and the CIA, has a 26-state problem. Which is to say, he is already 0 for 26 in getting his name on state ballots as a candidate for president. But it's actually much worse than that.

Tomorrow is the ballot-access deadline for Alaska, Colorado, Connecticut, Hawaii, New Hampshire, Ohio, and the District of Columbia. That's right, in a little more than 24 hours, Bill Kristol's Great New Hope will likely start off his Electoral College career 0 and 33*.

"I've known from the beginning of all of these rumblings of an independent #NeverTrump candidate that they would run into all of the ballot access barriers that Republicans and Democrats have been putting up to suppress the Libertarians for years," Nicholas Sarwark, chair of the Libertarian National Committee, told me today via Direct Message. "If the latest white knight wants to spend Republican donor money to sue to break down unconstitutional ballot access barriers, I'm happy to let him do so."

So how many state ballots has L.P. presidential nominee Gary Johnson gotten on so far? "39 states as of this morning," Sarwark says. "Still forecasting 50 + D.C. No trouble spots beyond normal parameters."

The Green Party this afternoon announced that it has achieved ballot access in 27 states so far, "with petitions filed in [five] more states awaiting confirmation by state election boards," Media Coordinator Scott McLarty told me via email. "We expect to surpass the 37 states we had in 2012, which represented 82% of all voters.
    "
    So we'll see some options other than the big 2 parties, but it isn't likely we'll see ol' Evan on our ballots. And nobody will remember his name long enough to write him in.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    brianlux said:

Seeing as this thread appears very lonely, I'm compelled to say... Evan who? haha

Don't know anything about him, Gern. Appears he might take away a few Trump votes but he's also stated what appears obvious (to me anyway) which is that Hillary will win.

All this worry about electing a president when it's a predetermined situation anyway.

Predetermined? Really? I hope you just mean trump has no chance.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718

brianlux said:

No, I mean yes, Trump has no chance but we don't want to say that without some reservation. Yes, I mean no it was not predetermined that Clinton will be elected as was planned and will be unless otherwise but either way it will come out as it should.

(I'm practicing to go into politics. How am I doing?)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

No, I mean yes, Trump has no chance but we don't want to say that without some reservation. Yes, I mean no it was not predetermined that Clinton will be elected as was planned and will be unless otherwise but either way it will come out as it should.

(I'm practicing to go into politics. How am I doing?)
    Better dust off your guitar! Hahahaha
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place