Options

Amplifier Suggestions

Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
I have an old Crate-212 (30 years old) and a small Marshall amp (40 watt, 1 10 inch speaker) that was recently taken over by my daughter who is learning to play.

Can anyone give me a good suggestion on a decent amp for personal/home use? I don't need to get real loud....I just want something that sounds good.

I play a Gibson LP most of the time. I have been out of the game for awhile so I'm not sure what the best amps are now. Any suggestions appreciated.
Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana

Comments

• Options
    Gtilley8Gtilley8 Detroit Posts: 985

I have an old Crate-212 (30 years old) and a small Marshall amp (40 watt, 1 10 inch speaker) that was recently taken over by my daughter who is learning to play.

Can anyone give me a good suggestion on a decent amp for personal/home use? I don't need to get real loud....I just want something that sounds good.

I play a Gibson LP most of the time. I have been out of the game for awhile so I'm not sure what the best amps are now. Any suggestions appreciated.

You can pick up a decent sounding, new Orange for not too much these days. Great for home play, if you're not worrying about having to fight 3-5 other instruments. Otherwise the Orange gets pricey quick if you're worried about getting loud and playing in a band setting. Paid 200 for an Orange combo amp for my bass just to play at home, but in a band setting it's just not loud enough.
    2000 - 8/21 - Columbus, OH
    2003 - 6/18 - Chicago, IL
    2006 - 5/22 - Auburn Hills, MI
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL
    2015 - 9/26 - New York, NY
    2016 - 4/16 - Greenville, SC; 8/20 - Chicago, IL; 8/22 - Chicago, IL
    2018 - 8/18 - Chicago, IL; 8/20 - Chicago, IL

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3045
  • Options
    The Blues Jr. is the typical answer on a lot of forums but, honestly, I can't tell the major difference between it's tone and the Frontman 25R. I like my 25R for practice just because it can get loud but I can also pull it back. The Blues Jr. can also get pretty loud but if you're on a budget, the Frontman 25R is great (unless you're an amp snob ;) )
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Options
    pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,655
    This article may help you a little bit. Buying an amp really comes down to your personal preferences as far as what tone you are looking for, how loud you want the amp to be, how much clean headroom you prefer, whether or not you want onboard effects and if so which ones, what kind of inputs and outputs and how many of those there are, the color and overall aesthetics of the amp, whether or not you want a modeling amp tube amp or solid state amp and so on...

http://www.guitarworld.com/magazine-amplifiers-gear-features-news/practice-made-perfect-guitar-world-rounds-17-amazing-practice
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    thanks!

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,655

thanks!

You're welcome
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    What do you think about that line 6 amplifi 75? I don't have an iPad... Seems like it would work best with one

• Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,975
    Line 6 has spectacular models of classic and modern amps. For a practice amp, the Amplifi 75 is a solid choice.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    Mesa mini rectifier. It's tiny, weighs maybe 10 lbs, 25w all tube, small enough you can play at practice levels at home and way loud enough for band and live shows. 4 channels, can get any tone/sound you want
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,720
    I've been having fun with my little Roland Micro Cube. It's about the size of a 12 volt car battery, has setting for 6 amp modeling (acoustic, JC clean, black panel, brit combo, stack classic, rectifier and mic... which are really pretty good for a little amp like this one). Effects include chorus, flanger, phaser, tremolo, delay and reverb, plus of course tone, volume and gain. Also a little push button "tuning fork" which I find handy. Runs on batteries or a/c adapter. And it has a really solid feel as well.

My description makes it sound rinky dink but I actually heard one in a shop before I saw it. Came around the corner and was fairly blown away by what the guy was playing through. Lots of fun for not a whole lot of cash.

And it looks great too:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:

I've been having fun with my little Roland Micro Cube. It's about the size of a 12 volt car battery, has setting for 6 amp modeling (acoustic, JC clean, black panel, brit combo, stack classic, rectifier and mic... which are really pretty good for a little amp like this one). Effects include chorus, flanger, phaser, tremolo, delay and reverb, plus of course tone, volume and gain. Also a little push button "tuning fork" which I find handy. Runs on batteries or a/c adapter. And it has a really solid feel as well.

My description makes it sound rinky dink but I actually heard one in a shop before I saw it. Came around the corner and was fairly blown away by what the guy was playing through. Lots of fun for not a whole lot of cash.

And it looks great too:

I have played through one of these. Lots of fun, can get pretty loud, and doesn't sound like poop
  • Options

Mesa mini rectifier. It's tiny, weighs maybe 10 lbs, 25w all tube, small enough you can play at practice levels at home and way loud enough for band and live shows. 4 channels, can get any tone/sound you want

so you have a cabinet to plug that into?

• Options
    1x12 at home, 2x12 at rehearsal space and for shows. Can easily drive a 4x12 if you don't mind dragging one of those around
  • Options
    I have a Fender Super Champ XD that I bought for recording. It has a 6v6 tube power amp, which is awesome for getting raunchy, crunchy guitar tones when you push it.

I see them for sale on the used market for a couple hundred dollars. Built-in effects are pretty good and it has decent amp models if you want them.
  • Options
    dudeman said:

I have a Fender Super Champ XD that I bought for recording. It has a 6v6 tube power amp, which is awesome for getting raunchy, crunchy guitar tones when you push it.

I see them for sale on the used market for a couple hundred dollars. Built-in effects are pretty good and it has decent amp models if you want them.

LOVE this amp SO much! If you want a decent tube amp (that is great for recording) and in a good price range, this is it. I'm also a big fan of the Princeton Recording amp.
  • Options
    big mickbig mick Hull UK Posts: 773
    The new Fender Bassbreakers sound great for the money
    Reading England 2006, Manchester England 2009, London England 2010, Manchester 1 2012, EV London 1 2012
  • Options

dudeman said:

LOVE this amp SO much! If you want a decent tube amp (that is great for recording) and in a good price range, this is it. I'm also a big fan of the Princeton Recording amp.
    I retubed mine with matched Tung-Sols, swapped the speaker for an Eminence Ragin' Cajun, rebraced the cabinet, added a bias pot and added a switchable bypass for the DSP.

They were all fun projects that made an already good little amp into a top shelf recording amp.

I have less than $500.00 into it, including the initial cost of the amp.

None of the modifications I made were really necessary. I wanted to do them to learn the ins and outs of the amp and to experiment. It sounded great right out of the box.
  • Options
    pulling69pulling69 KIAD Posts: 982
    big mick said:

The new Fender Bassbreakers sound great for the money

If I were to drop some cash on an amp right now it would be on a Bassbreaker....Those things are tits.
    "Populated with every reject and cutthroat from Bombay to Calcutta. It's worse than Detroit."