49+ Hours of Merch Sales for 6 hours of Music

my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
what has become more important for the fans? I'm not trying to pass any judgement on the 10c or the fans... I have stood in a few merch lines in my day so i'm no better than the next guy... I just think the line has been blurred on what the concerts are actually about for some fans

Comments

• on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,374
    edited July 2016
    I don't think it has. But you can't buy a ticket for merch and secure your merch ahead of time like you can for the show. Just about all who are planning on going to Fenway have a ticket secured. So their focus is on the next thing which is the merch and can't be reserved ahead of time. So it requires people to line up and act crazy to get what they want. If concerts were a first come first serve deal the day of the show then many more people would be camping out and lining up for a chance to buy their seat and get into the show.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    edited July 2016
    I see what you are getting at and its a valid point, but to be fair, it's 49 hours of sale time because it's gonna take a while to accommodate fans and the demand.
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,307
    Merch makes money for performers....the more they can sell the better for the bottom line. People tend to impulse buy as well when they've been waiting in line for hours then get to the front and think..."I better get this now before I lose my chance!"
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    The concert is still by far the most important to me. And i think it still is for majority of people. After that, all I really 'need' is the bootleg and im a very happy camper. Merch is awesome and another cool way to remember the night, but I could live without it. I would sell all of the merch i own to see one last show if thats what it came to. Merch is freaking sweet and its cool to get excited about it. Not only is it another way to represent that special night, but look what it has done for fans: standing in lines you get to meet some sweet people in the PJ community and all of the trading and such allows you to interact with people you may never have without it.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

Merch makes money for performers....the more they can sell the better for the bottom line. People tend to impulse buy as well when they've been waiting in line for hours then get to the front and think..."I better get this now before I lose my chance!"

I don't question the 10c at all... I think they have come up with a genius system... i love the red merch truck setup before the show... which has helped turn the merch scene into a feeding frenzy... I waited longer in the Hampton merch line for 3 stickers than I spent in the actual arena for the concert... I love the posters and stickers, always have... but i'm just a little concerned when merchandise sales begin 3 days before the actual concert occurs

the demand from us, the fans, is what I'm interested in... how did it get this crazy? will it get worse? is this healthy? are we making Pearl Jam lame?
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,169
    I have to assume this is a way to try and make things better for all involved, with merch sales spread out over nearly a week, hopefully nobody has to spend ridiculous amounts of time in line like they have for some past shows. And hopefully there will be some $1 ice cold water available near by.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • tylermooretylermoore St. Joseph, MI Posts: 879
    edited July 2016
    I don't think it anyway it makes anything "lame".
    My friends who came along to some shows with me this year and never been to any PJ shows, they were amazed about the whole merch thing. How big of a band they are for people to care about merch that much.
    I think it's pretty cool.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,622
    If opening up 3 days before the concert will make the lines easier on us that are going on Friday and Sunday I am all for it. Sadly I think this will only make a small bump on those lines and in turn help the flippers even more.
    From what I understand this is strictly an American phenomenon? I haven't seem them internationally, but from what I've read this merch craze is really only an American thing

Not sure what that says about us Americans, but it's definitely interesting if true
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,717
    10C is in a no win situation. Longer hours and the music means less than the merch, shorter hours and they are inconveniencing the fans.

I don't find the band greedy with their setup. Almost everything they sell, including tickets, could be valued higher.

For the fans, it's up to each person to experience the weekend and create memories. Mine will come in the field but I don't mind if others come from on the merch line.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2

My friends who came along to some shows with me this year and never been to any PJ shows, they were amazed about the whole merch thing. How big of a band they are for people to care about merch that much.

The reason I asked is I think of Gene Simmons... at one point KISS was pretty badass and generally well respected... now they are a joke for most music fans... so my question is who came first? Gene Simmons, or the fans willing to buy literally anything from Gene Simmons

It's tough for a business to leave money on the table... so it's only natural for the 10c to feed the beast... so my question is are we, the fans, creating a monster with our insatiable desire for anything with "Pearl Jam" on it

I'm not pointing fingers or passing judgement on anybody, just interested in a real conversation about this

10C is in a no win situation. Longer hours and the music means less than the merch, shorter hours and they are inconveniencing the fans.

I don't find the band greedy with their setup. Almost everything they sell, including tickets, could be valued higher.

For the fans, it's up to each person to experience the weekend and create memories. Mine will come in the field but I don't mind if others come from on the merch line.

Again, I'm not passing any judgement on the 10c... this is not about the 10c...

I'm interested in the fans, specifically us American fans who seem to be driving this...

What is driving middle aged people to stand in line for 3+ hours for stickers & flip flops? And is that healthy for us as a fanbase? Can our thirst for "stuff" harm the band in any way?
    trust me, I can't wait to see the posters and stickers and will definitely own at least 1 of the posters and stickers
  • jp307677jp307677 Boston Posts: 415

Exactly
  • tylermooretylermoore St. Joseph, MI Posts: 879
    edited July 2016
    my2hands said:

The reason I asked is I think of Gene Simmons... at one point KISS was pretty badass and generally well respected... now they are a joke for most music fans... so my question is who came first? Gene Simmons, or the fans willing to buy literally anything from Gene Simmons

It's tough for a business to leave money on the table... so it's only natural for the 10c to feed the beast... so my question is are we, the fans, creating a monster with our insatiable desire for anything with "Pearl Jam" on it

I'm not pointing fingers or passing judgement on anybody, just interested in a real conversation about this
    That makes sense. Tho, I think PJ has more respect than to do what kiss does and literally put their names on EVERYTHING they possibly can. I just want posters lol.
    I guess Wrigley '13 was pretty excessive with the pennants, trading cards, hats, and so many other Wrigley specific items.
  • Edved007Edved007 Milwaukee, WI Posts: 1,020
    my2hands said:

From what I understand this is strictly an American phenomenon? I haven't seem them internationally, but from what I've read this merch craze is really only an American thing

Not sure what that says about us Americans, but it's definitely interesting if true

This is 100% accurate. I was fortunate enough to catch a couple shows in Europe in 2014 and a couple more last fall in Brazil. At any show in any city I could walk right up to the table and buy what ever I wanted. My first show in '14 in Stockholm I was so paranoid about the stupid poster that I took the train from my hotel out to the stadium in the morning. After nothing was going on I went back to town and did a boat tour that afternoon. An hour before show time I walked right up and bought whatever I wanted, and in hindsight I wish I just waited till after the show instead of holding on to my tube in the somewhat aggressive GA pit.
    95' - 7/9
    98' - 6/26, 6/27, 6/29, 8/26, 9/22
    03' - 4/25
    06' - 6/29, 6/30
    07' - 8/05
    09' - 8/23
    11' - 9/03, 9/04
    12' - 9/30
    13' - 7/16, 7/19, 10/21, 10/22, 11/15, 11/16, 12/06
    14' - 06/28, 06/29, 10/1, 10/03, 10/16, 10/17, 10/20, 10/22
    15' - 11/20, 11/22
    16' - 4/21, 4/26, 4/28, 4/29, 5/1, 5/2, 7/9, 8/5, 8/7, 8/20, 8/22
    17' - 4/7
    18' - 7/1, 7/3, 7/5, 8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20, 9/4
    21' - 10/1, 10/2
    22' - 7/12, 7/14, 9/6, 9/8
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,383
    edited July 2016
    It's a very valid discussion. We are pretty materialistic for sure, but at the same time..... These shows have taken on a life of their own, why shouldn't the show specific merchandise too?

I don't judge if people want to get in line, I would be hypocritical if I did. I stood in line for four hours at Wrigley 3 years ago & got jack. No regrets, I met & hung out with some awesome people and that's one of the things I love the most about traveling to PJ shows. I also scored at the merch stand inside. My Cracker Jack & baseball/skull t-shirt are hands down, my favorite concert memorabilia ever. I dropped some major coin on the frame job for CJ, and it's never coming down.

I do wish PJ did more to restrict the secondary market. I know people have suggestions as to how it could be done, I'm not worried about getting into that, but it's unfortunate that so many people who have no stake in this beyond making a profit have access to items that mean so much to many real fans.

I can't worry about the Fenway merch personally, as I have too much going on next weekend. If there's a poster I need, I have plenty of trades to offer, (got lucky in the poster drops after this spring's tour) but at this point, if I get nothing...... I'm still going to both shows, and that is what counts the most.
  • zevilonezevilone Posts: 339
    settle down beavis
  • ruggs1996ruggs1996 Posts: 566
    Agree with the OP. It's getting ridiculous.
    Camden 2 (2008) 
    Philly 1 and 4 (2009)
    Newark (2010)
    MSG 1 (2010)
    Toronto 1 and 2 (2011)
    Brooklyn 1 and 2 (2013)
    Philly 2 (2013)
    Greenville (2016)
    Columbia (2016)
    MSG 2 (2016)
    Fenway 2 (2016)
    EV NJPAC (2022)
    MSG (2022)
    Denver (2022)
  • EddieredderEddieredder Posts: 684
    Its an interesting conversation. To each his own. I wish there was a better way but in reality there aren't great solutions. I'd love presale of items for 10c members with tickets, but I can understand the logistical problems with this too.

Sadly anytime people can exploit something for profit by reselling it doesn't take long before people will jump on this. Its the same for tickets. Its the same for any business venture. Its the American way.

A band this big + Fanatical fans + limited one of a kind items = madness. It is what it is. We created this mess that we love so much.

I've stood in the lines. I'm no hypocrite. This time around I'm gonna pass. I'll be in the bar. If I really like something I'll probably overpay for it on the secondary market. Time/experience is money. The show is the important thing. At the end of the day its just material stuff. I have enough of that stored in my closet already!
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    It's very amusing to me that so many Americans and Canadians rather queue up 6 or 7 hours for merch but not for the show.
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,894
    I don't know. Lining up for 3+ hours to get a poster/t-shirt and lining up for 15+ hours so you can be closer to the band are both equally ridiculous to me.
  • I don't know. Lining up for 3+ hours to get a poster/t-shirt and lining up for 15+ hours so you can be closer to the band are both equally ridiculous to me.

Haha I definitely agree
    looking to hear of the earth
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited July 2016

I don't know. Lining up for 3+ hours to get a poster/t-shirt and lining up for 15+ hours so you can be closer to the band are both equally ridiculous to me.

Lol, good point.

While i wouldn't do either, I'm not bothered that people do either of these things, and it's pretty damn easy to care about two or more things at once, so this caring about merch more than about the music theory doesn't fly with me. I'm only bothered when people start getting greedy/sneaky/cheaty about it.... which seems to be the case more and more. People putting their selfish wants (and/or profit) over fairness and ensuring that the maximum number of people benefit equally is what bugs me.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638

Hahaha. Definitely.
  • BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,335
    PJ_Soul said:

Lol, good point.

While i wouldn't do either, I'm not bothered that people do either of these things, and it's pretty damn easy to care about two or more things at once, so this caring about merch more than about the music theory doesn't fly with me. I'm only bothered when people start getting greedy/sneaky/cheaty about it.... which seems to be the case more and more. People putting their selfish wants (and/or profit) over fairness and ensuring that the maximum number of people benefit equally is what bugs me.
    well said
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    I still don't understand why at this point we can't pre order things through the 10c store.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,374
    PJ_Soul said:

Lol, good point.

Brilliant!
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    edited July 2016
    mcgruff10 said:

I still don't understand why at this point we can't pre order things through the 10c store.

I'm with ya... Many of us are traveling, it would be a nice move on their part...a little thanks!

Already seeing the new Hats and thinking I'll be really lucky to even get one, but the next day they will surely be on eBay for $125
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    Brisk. said:

It's very amusing to me that so many Americans and Canadians rather queue up 6 or 7 hours for merch but not for the show.

True,,,, No long merch lines in Amsterdam 14... well the pop up store did, but not at the shows. Same for Trieste Italy.. you just walked up and bought whatever you wanted ...no lines, but long lines for GA.
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh