Options

Read this from former Ticketmaster CEO

chrisrap1chrisrap1 Posts: 45
edited July 2016 in The Porch
I have thought a lot of these things he says were so. A dream of mine would be to see everybody boycott just ONE show from buying tickets from those secondary bastards. And have the venue half empty or whatever and those a'holes have to eat the tickets. And the artists themselves see the venue half empty and maybe stop the kickbacks to them and greed. Yeah I know this would NEVER happen but a guy can dream a little at least.

And why in the hell cant THIS band take a cue from a guy like Louis CK. Don't tell me they can't cause they COULD if they wanted to at this point in their career. Anyway this is interesting.......
https://theringer.com/ticket-industry-problem-solution-e4b3b71fdff6#.cy3o87qi4

Lets trade visit my list for my PEARL JAM and all other recordings http://www.phishhook.com/lists/chrisrap1

~I don't care how many times you've seen them~
Post edited by chrisrap1 on

Comments

• Options
    rhpot1991rhpot1991 Posts: 150
    I said in a few other threads that it was time for a Louis C.K. no re-selling policy. Heck we could have sold out most of the TOTD venues with 10C alone.

The only way to beat the scalpers is to refuse to purchase from them, until that happens scalpers will exist.
  • Options
    SpartanacusSpartanacus San Diego Posts: 798
    I have never bought from them, but to die hard fans, that would be like turning down a $20 bottle of ice cold water in the desert...not gonna happen!

But I agree...don't buy tickets that are over face value.
  • Options
    joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,206
    Something is only worth what somebody else is willing to pay. Scalpers will always be hated,but needed for if you want to attend a concert badly enough.
  • Options
    mikerlmikerl Posts: 580
    I paid well over face value for Fenway 1. I have been dreaming of a Fenway show for 15 years.. Worth it to me. I hate the way the business perpetuates this inflation, but in this case I was willing to bite the bullet to ensure I had good seats, and the time of my life. Simply put: This was not my time to take a stand.
    Hartford 1996, Hartford 1998, Mansfield 1 1998, Mansfield 1 2000, Mansfield 2 2000, Albany 2003, MSG 2 2003, Mansfield 3 2003, Boston 2 2004, Albany 2006, Boston 2 2006, Mansfield 2 2008, Boston 2010, Worcester 1 2013, Worcester 2 2013
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,864
    Long live ETM
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,514
    edited July 2016
    joseph33 said:

Something is only worth what somebody else is willing to pay. Scalpers will always be hated,but needed for if you want to attend a concert badly enough.

I wouod agree with you if we were just talking about street scalpers who buy from people who can't go to the show or wait in line like everyone else for a block of tickets and then resell to someone on the sidewalk looking for a ticket, or on Craigslist or something. You know, the way scalping used to be done. But now they have completely highjacked the vast majority of tickets using bots, a method that other people have no chance of competing against. It is dirty and low and should not be legal, and people should really not participate in that process in any way (including buying from them). The government needs to step in IMO. Law and enforcement is needed. This is a massive industry, and I don't understand why there is ZERO consumer protection happening.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    AceCoolAceCool Texas Posts: 455
    I just want to see the fucking concert. For big ticket shows that almost always entails buying off of the secondary market.
  • Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 1,996
    There is one other way (other than raising face values to true market prices) to bring the supply and demand dynamics into agreement - add shows until the tickets stop selling. This is what Bruce and U2 do in major markets.
  • Options
    JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064
    NiN had a no ticket policy. Your name goes on the guest list and you and your +1 have to show up to get in. That's a lot harder to beat.

Or Prince who says, I'm playing a show in two days and tickets are on sale now.
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
    12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
    13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
    14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
    16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2