Options

DNC Philadelphia 2016

Comments

• Options
    EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,506
    dignin said:

Trump supporters do tend to be under educated, there is no debate there.

Funny you missed the insinuation. I bet your college educated.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    dignin said:

I guess the majority of America is under educated.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631

dignin said:

I guess you're not.
  • Options

dignin said:

The truest statement you have made.
  • Options

dignin said:

Also makes one wonder how much folks on this board eat up what the vastly under educated (by their, not my, definition) Eddie Vedder.
  • Options

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

http://www.allenbwest.com/allen/bills-speech-im-convinced-convention-something-much-worse-hillary

^^^
    So, my mother-in-law just put this up on Facebook a few hours ago. Sometimes divorce seems like my only option to sanity in this world, lol--jk of course.

Oh, and her son, my brother-in-law, put up something suggesting that those voting for Hillary should show their support by taking the plastic bag challenge, with a picture of a kid with a plastic bag over his face suffocating himself. That's real classy, asshole!

Not cool about the plastic bag thing.

I did like what the guy in the link said though:

"...no amount of soaring rhetoric can make me see his wife, Hillary Clinton, as anything other than a pathological liar, an elitist, and someone who abandoned Americans to die.

Hillary Clinton mishandled classified material — gross negligence — which FBI Director Comey renamed as “careless.” Look into the eyes of any young Soldier, Sailor, Airman, or Marine with a security clearance and explain to them why they are punished for “carelessness” when it comes to handling classified material…but the person wanting to be commander in chief is not."

Pretty much sums up HRC for me.

Really Brian? You think HRC left people to die in Benghazi? That's your position?
    Yeah, I'm generally known to speak my mind. It's what I do. I may not always be right but you can rest assured, even if I'm full of shit, I'll tell you exactly what I think.

Anyway, yes, I believe she certainly shares responsibility. But I doubt I will convince you of that.
    Hillary and Barack didn't leave them to die once the attack took place, but they did leave them unnecessarily exposed when there were clear indications not to. That's why it's funny to me that folks think she's better prepared and Obama had a clue. They are classic reactionaries. They are arrogant and think they know everything....until they don't. Then they react. That's not leadership. There's a reason both have never been in private enterprise without the advantage of their public connections. They'd never survive in the real world without power bestowed that way. How they keep having that power bestowed.... And folks call the Trump supporters under educated. Maybe college isn't all it's cracked up to be for some people.
    I agree they are held accountable using the Truman principle of the "the Buck Stops Here". Similar, I'm sure, to your outrage in 1983 at Reagan and George Shultz for the horrific tragedy at the Marine barracks in Beirut. But then again Reagan was an actor, a union rep and a governor so he never really a real job before President. Probably just got a bunch of shit bestowed on him.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    mrussel1 said:

dignin said:

I guess you're not.
    Ha, ha, ha. Let's just say my son is being recruited by the top colleges in the country and you know about apples, right?

I love the arrogance, though. Do you look down on people that didn't go to college and assume they are dumber than those that have?

Edit: ah I see. How clever. I missed an e while typing on an iPad. You r funny (there. Get it?)
    Post edited by EdsonNascimento on
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    Haven't we already had this argument? What was the conclusion of that?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

mrussel1 said:

dignin said:

I guess you're not.
    Ha, ha, ha. Let's just say my son is being recruited by the top colleges in the country and you know about apples, right?

I love the arrogance, though. Do you look down on people that didn't go to college and assume they are dumber than those that have?
    These appear to be your hangups, not mine. My father was a Ukrainian immigrant who never finished the 8th grade. I look down on nobody based on their education.
  • Options
    Good answer.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

http://www.allenbwest.com/allen/bills-speech-im-convinced-convention-something-much-worse-hillary

^^^
    So, my mother-in-law just put this up on Facebook a few hours ago. Sometimes divorce seems like my only option to sanity in this world, lol--jk of course.

Oh, and her son, my brother-in-law, put up something suggesting that those voting for Hillary should show their support by taking the plastic bag challenge, with a picture of a kid with a plastic bag over his face suffocating himself. That's real classy, asshole!

"...no amount of soaring rhetoric can make me see his wife, Hillary Clinton, as anything other than a pathological liar, an elitist, and someone who abandoned Americans to die.

Hillary Clinton mishandled classified material — gross negligence — which FBI Director Comey renamed as “careless.” Look into the eyes of any young Soldier, Sailor, Airman, or Marine with a security clearance and explain to them why they are punished for “carelessness” when it comes to handling classified material…but the person wanting to be commander in chief is not."

Really Brian? You think HRC left people to die in Benghazi? That's your position?
    Yeah, I'm generally known to speak my mind. It's what I do. I may not always be right but you can rest assured, even if I'm full of shit, I'll tell you exactly what I think.

Anyway, yes, I believe she certainly shares responsibility. But I doubt I will convince you of that.
    Hillary and Barack didn't leave them to die once the attack took place, but they did leave them unnecessarily exposed when there were clear indications not to. That's why it's funny to me that folks think she's better prepared and Obama had a clue. They are classic reactionaries. They are arrogant and think they know everything....until they don't. Then they react. That's not leadership. There's a reason both have never been in private enterprise without the advantage of their public connections. They'd never survive in the real world without power bestowed that way. How they keep having that power bestowed.... And folks call the Trump supporters under educated. Maybe college isn't all it's cracked up to be for some people.
    I agree they are held accountable using the Truman principle of the "the Buck Stops Here". Similar, I'm sure, to your outrage in 1983 at Reagan and George Shultz for the horrific tragedy at the Marine barracks in Beirut. But then again Reagan was an actor, a union rep and a governor so he never really a real job before President. Probably just got a bunch of shit bestowed on him.
    Reagan's in this election? Cool. Can I vote for Teddy Roosevelt? Because that's who I'm really waiting for.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

dignin said:

I guess you're not.

These appear to be your hangups, not mine. My father was a Ukrainian immigrant who never finished the 8th grade. I look down on nobody based on their education.
    Agree. That is awesome. So, I guess you're not one of the Hillarities that quote that part of the poll as if it's a bad thing. I apologize for lumping you in with the vast majority of them that do.
  • Options

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

^^^

Reagan's in this election? Cool. Can I vote for Teddy Roosevelt? Because that's who I'm really waiting for.
    No, it's about having some sense of standards and understanding historical context vs politicizing every event. I guess it's easy to cast judgment if your frame of reference is 8 years or you get your limited news from the right wing echo champber, but when you extend it out and look at how other president's have performed under similar circumstances, well then the answer isn't quite as black and white.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

^^^

No, it's about having some sense of standards and understanding historical context vs politicizing every event. I guess it's easy to cast judgment if your frame of reference is 8 years or you get your limited news from the right wing echo champber, but when you extend it out and look at how other president's have performed under similar circumstances, well then the answer isn't quite as black and white.
    But what makes her so qualified? Because she's held a job? Being incompetent proves lack of qualification. As for Reagan, he also squashed Quadafi (sp?) who we didn't hear from again until our friends Hillary and Barack left the door open and ended the Cold War. You are right though. That was a terrible incident that goes "on the record." My question is - what did Hillary do that's come close to that? Her ledger is imbalanced.
  • Options

mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

^^^

But what makes her so qualified? Because she's held a job? Being incompetent proves lack of qualification. As for Reagan, he also squashed Quadafi (sp?) who we didn't hear from again until our friends Hillary and Barack left the door open and ended the Cold War. You are right though. That was a terrible incident that goes "on the record." My question is - what did Hillary do that's come close to that? Her ledger is imbalanced.
    1. Hillary is the one that strong armed China and Russia to back the sanctions that eventually led to the JPOA. it's impossible to over-estimate how important this was and it was the very straw that broke Iran.
    2. START treaty ratification
    3. Negotiated Gaza cease fire
    4. Osama Bin Laden's death (hard to know which cabinet member did what, admittedly, on this one)
    5. Began the process for normalization of relationships with Cuba.

These quick answers are limited to time as Sec'y. That's not addressing SCHIP, Pediatric Research Equity law, the money she secured for NY after 9/11, etc. Her record of public service certainly exceeds Trump's.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    edited July 2016

dignin said:

You would lose that bet. I'm a tradesperson.

You seem to be confusing education with intelligence.
  • Options
    dignin said:

dignin said:

You would lose that bet. I'm a tradesperson.

You seem to be confusing education with intelligence.
    You obviously responded before reading rest of string. Even in this context, it was fairly clear that your point was my point. Hillarities like to point to the non college educated as favoring Trump as some indicator of intelligence. My point was that correlation is not correct.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Well.... there is a correlation. It's just that it doesn't apply to everyone. However, I do think that all Trump supporters are unintelligent, educated or not.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

^^^

And folks call the Trump supporters under educated. Maybe college isn't all it's cracked up to be for some people.
    ^^This is what you said. My response was to this. Folks just don't say Trump supporters are under educated.....it's a fact. That was my point. You insinuated that it was up for debate, it is not. Interpret that how you will, that's your deal. I was just pointing out that it was fact.

Glad we sorted that out. ;)

Beep

Bop

• Options
    dignin said:

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

^^^

And folks call the Trump supporters under educated. Maybe college isn't all it's cracked up to be for some people.
    Folks just don't say Trump supporters are under educated.....it's a fact. That was my point.
    Yes you are correct.
    Folks just don't say Trump supporters are under educated.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719

dignin said:

Also makes one wonder how much folks on this board eat up what the vastly under educated (by their, not my, definition) Eddie Vedder.
    I would say in general a good education is necessary to get by in this world but there are exceptions. I have a family member who never graduated from high school and yet in his early twenties bought a house twice as big as mine and makes more money than I ever have. And I have about 200 units of college credit. Go figure!

But I would still argue for a good education and say that in the U.S. we are rapidly falling off the chair that way.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Boxes&BooksBoxes&Books USA Posts: 2,672
    mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

^^^

1. Hillary is the one that strong armed China and Russia to back the sanctions that eventually led to the JPOA. it's impossible to over-estimate how important this was and it was the very straw that broke Iran.
    2. START treaty ratification
    3. Negotiated Gaza cease fire
    4. Osama Bin Laden's death (hard to know which cabinet member did what, admittedly, on this one)
    5. Began the process for normalization of relationships with Cuba.

These quick answers are limited to time as Sec'y. That's not addressing SCHIP, Pediatric Research Equity law, the money she secured for NY after 9/11, etc. Her record of public service certainly exceeds Trump's.
    Yet with all of her qualifications she was still careless with her emails/server.
    Obama had none, yet he had the foresight to see that the Iraq war was a bad move, where she didn't. She might have a lot of experience, but that alone doesn't make her qualified- she is certainly book smart and is highly educated, but that alone isn't enough to hide/cover up her scams and the red flags surrounding her and her career. There is a reason why she polls so high in the untrustworthiness department. There is a reason why she mentioned her carelessness in her speech on Thursday.

She has certainly been involved in important govt matters, and because of that, you would think she would be coasting along to the presidency. Voters don't need to be educated to judge poor character. Hillary's biggest problem is her character, along with the many red flags surrounding her career and that of her spouse. You can attempt to defend her record all you want, but the facts are the facts- she has been careless and has fucked up enough to not have a secure path against one of the weakest challengers of all time.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    brianlux said:

dignin said:

I would say in general a good education is necessary to get by in this world but there are exceptions. I have a family member who never graduated from high school and yet in his early twenties bought a house twice as big as mine and makes more money than I ever have. And I have about 200 units of college credit. Go figure!

But I would still argue for a good education and say that in the U.S. we are rapidly falling off the chair that way.
    I posted this graph several weeks ago...

These are fact about the 2008 recession:
    1. 5 million jobs were lost by people with less than a college education
    2. Less than a million were lost by those with a college education
    3. Since that nadir, there have been 8MM new jobs created for those with a college education
    4. Less than 80k have been created for those without college education

The income and employment gap is only growing between those with and without an education.
  • Options
    Boxes&BooksBoxes&Books USA Posts: 2,672
    1 in 10 superdelegates were registered lobbyist. Some more insight into our democratic system.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/1-in-10-dnc-superdelegates-were-registered-lobbyists/article/2598229
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

dignin said:

I posted this graph several weeks ago...

These are fact about the 2008 recession:
    1. 5 million jobs were lost by people with less than a college education
    2. Less than a million were lost by those with a college education
    3. Since that nadir, there have been 8MM new jobs created for those with a college education
    4. Less than 80k have been created for those without college education

The income and employment gap is only growing between those with and without an education.
    Yes, for sure. Stay in school, kids!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

dignin said:

I guess you're not.

Bravo bravo me & you have this in common our fathers migrated here for us and now I'm supposed to like a prick like Trump who is against everything I'm for no way I'd rather be dead then vote against everything our fathers stand for , fuck you Trump as a matter of fact fuck the trumpsters who will follow you !!!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    Nina Turner posted this on her FB page

http://readersupportednews.org/opinion2/277-75/38281-focus-democrats-emerging-from-philadelphia-divided

Democrats Emerging From Philadelphia Divided

Videos on page worthy of checking out

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,158
    soooo.....

probably a bad idea to mock a gold star family....

i thought this is something that all of us knew?
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,158
    overall i enjoyed the dnc convention this year. i was a little concerned about a few things though. most notably the jingoism and the threats of military force. some of those USA chants were done at times that were mildly disturbing.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."