Options

Nintendo releases NES mini

1121314151618»

Comments

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I know the wireless controller that was bundled with mine has a huge lag... like game breaking.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,006
    MayDay10 said:

I know the wireless controller that was bundled with mine has a huge lag... like game breaking.

Funny thing is that I'm using wireless now. I wonder if that is the lag?

I still think that the game was lagging back in the day.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,252
    I want someone to have an original NES and the NES mini side by side and play some Mario to see if there is any input difference.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    mca47 said:

I want someone to have an original NES and the NES mini side by side and play some Mario to see if there is any input difference.

Saw a vid on Youtube a while back where a guy did just that. I'll try to find it again.
  • Options

mca47 said:

Saw a vid on Youtube a while back where a guy did just that. I'll try to find it again.
    You don't have to post it, but did the video show the two systems being exactly the same?
  • Options
    I use 8bitdo controllers for it... and they dont seem to lag. Excellent controllers. Pricey, but good quality. I have 2 I use for the NES Classic and my RetroPie/

I got a Nyko one with the NES and it was horribly laggy, and would even lose connection briefly which meant certain death in most games
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    mca47 said:

mca47 said:

You don't have to post it, but did the video show the two systems being exactly the same?
    Yeah. He liked the tactile response of the buttons a lot more on the Classic controller than the original, but stated the gameplay was pretty much the same. I still can't find the video.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,844
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    yes. They had lightning in a bottle and pissed it away.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,272
    MayDay10 said:

How is Nintendo this dumb? They misjudged this entire thing.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    JK_Livin said:
    Once again Nintendo snatches defeat from the jaws of victory. What in the fuck are they thinking? It must cost them less then 5 dollars to make one of those.
  • Options
    they should have realized what crazy demand an official nostalgia product would bring. So many possibilities there to make money.
  • Options
    Nintendo releasing it's quarterly financial statement to it's investors ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMkkfuSizc4
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,145
    probably not looking good for a SNES Version

I play mine like once a week...its great when work is fucking with me
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I wonder if they are going back to the drawing board to think of a better way to roll the retro stuff out and monetize the craze
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,985
    MayDay10 said:

I wonder if they are going back to the drawing board to think of a better way to roll the retro stuff out and monetize the craze

I think their answer, after Switch selling as good as it does, is – double down on the yet to be announced Switch Virtual Console.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options

MayDay10 said:

I think their answer, after Switch selling as good as it does, is – double down on the yet to be announced Switch Virtual Console.
    Yep. You can already buy a bunch of old Neo Geo games on the Switch eShop. A virtual console makes perfect sense.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    it's astounding had terribly nintendo fumbled this thing. i thought for sure at the turn of the new year, they would have ramped up production. but now... they discontinue it? wow.

wonder what this means for an SNES version.
  • Options

MayDay10 said:

Yep. You can already buy a bunch of old Neo Geo games on the Switch eShop. A virtual console makes perfect sense.
    I dont think so. The Switch is in a very small amount of homes, and its wide-scale penetration is questionable.

IMO, way, way, way more people desired this NES Classic than will own a "Switch". I also have had a few 'Virtual Console' games in the past for Wii and 3Ds (the only 2 gaming systems and games I have EVER sold). They just dont really scratch the itch. This NES Classic brought the experience back. The design of the console, the controllers.... just the fact that it was an NES-only unit was probably an attraction to a degree.

If they had any imagination or forethought, they could have just raked in money on this sort of thing. An NES Classic with a limited number of games... an expansion capability, so they can gradually release games and have people pay for them (despite the existence of ROMs, people would, especially if the games were as authentic as possible). If not, just keep releasing locked editions 20 or 30 games at a time. They could have worked with whoever holds the rights to other games and released more and more. Create accessories such as wireless/bluetooth controllers, maybe a wireless light gun, that flat joystick-style controller with the turbo.... make the unit capable of holding top scores and some simple/general statistics such as times played, hours played, furthest level, number of times game was completed, etc... Possibly some sort of online presence where it can store and organize top scores and such. Online play too.... however that may require a bit more infrastructure.

They could even make sequels and add-ons to the existing games. Create present and historic seasons and release them as versions of Super Tecmo Bowl... a new Super Mario Brothers game with 8 new levels, a new 8-bit Bionic Commando or Mega Man... who knows?

They left all the money on the table. They had the ability to rake in all the cash from the NES for the second time.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    MayDay10 said:

MayDay10 said:

I dont think so. The Switch is in a very small amount of homes, and its wide-scale penetration is questionable.

IMO, way, way, way more people desired this NES Classic than will own a "Switch". I also have had a few 'Virtual Console' games in the past for Wii and 3Ds (the only 2 gaming systems and games I have EVER sold). They just dont really scratch the itch. This NES Classic brought the experience back. The design of the console, the controllers.... just the fact that it was an NES-only unit was probably an attraction to a degree.

If they had any imagination or forethought, they could have just raked in money on this sort of thing. An NES Classic with a limited number of games... an expansion capability, so they can gradually release games and have people pay for them (despite the existence of ROMs, people would, especially if the games were as authentic as possible). If not, just keep releasing locked editions 20 or 30 games at a time. They could have worked with whoever holds the rights to other games and released more and more. Create accessories such as wireless/bluetooth controllers, maybe a wireless light gun, that flat joystick-style controller with the turbo.... make the unit capable of holding top scores and some simple/general statistics such as times played, hours played, furthest level, number of times game was completed, etc... Possibly some sort of online presence where it can store and organize top scores and such. Online play too.... however that may require a bit more infrastructure.

They could even make sequels and add-ons to the existing games. Create present and historic seasons and release them as versions of Super Tecmo Bowl... a new Super Mario Brothers game with 8 new levels, a new 8-bit Bionic Commando or Mega Man... who knows?

They left all the money on the table. They had the ability to rake in all the cash from the NES for the second time.
    The switch was Nintendos biggest launch in US history.

And Nintendo has a weird view of themselves. I think they will get into every home with the Switch. Haha.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,601

MayDay10 said:

How is Nintendo this dumb? They misjudged this entire thing.
    This is what I don't get. It is pretty much impossible to misjudge something this much. My job touches on this type of stuff (completely different category, but I have worked on numerous product launches for huge products) and our entry level folks could take one look at free tools available online and know that the demand for this was going be insane.

It has to be a manufacturing thing. They priced it too low, it was too expensive to make and now they can't change the price?
  • Options
    I don't think it sticks though (although Im not an expert). Front end sales went to video game 'fanatics' and also were pushed by the Zelda game. Some if it is probably fueled by some resale market and people who thought they wanted it in the wake of the NES classic. I do not know one person (IRL) who owns one (meanwhile, I have snagged 5 NES Classics for myself and friends and have 3 more begging me to get them one). The NES Classic promised to penetrate the market in a way that modern video games cannot.... and it happens that the main demographic would be people with the most disposable income.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

I don't think it sticks though (although Im not an expert). Front end sales went to video game 'fanatics' and also were pushed by the Zelda game. Some if it is probably fueled by some resale market and people who thought they wanted it in the wake of the NES classic. I do not know one person (IRL) who owns one (meanwhile, I have snagged 5 NES Classics for myself and friends and have 3 more begging me to get them one). The NES Classic promised to penetrate the market in a way that modern video games cannot.... and it happens that the main demographic would be people with the most disposable income.

I agree with you.

And I feel bad not ordering one at once, I thought I would just pick one up closer to christmas when some store would sell it for cheap.

My brother even asked if he would pre-order two. I declined. He got his.

Maybe I should get one from ebay or something and just pay through the roof. :(

• Options
    They are also discontinuing the controllers. I still need a second controller. Everywhere I look...all the controllers are aftermarket. I can't find another original anywhere! Hell, even those sold on Amazon as "original" are shitty reviews and many saying they are fake.
  • Options
    mca47 said:

They are also discontinuing the controllers. I still need a second controller. Everywhere I look...all the controllers are aftermarket. I can't find another original anywhere! Hell, even those sold on Amazon as "original" are shitty reviews and many saying they are fake.

Invest in the 8bitdo bluetooth ones with the nes classic adapter
  • Options
    It still makes no sense that they would kill the mini NES when they are going for 300% plus in the black market. Nintendo has had the luck of employing a few geniuses but must be saddled with a bunch of idiots in sales.
  • Options
    Eurogamer says they have info about a SNES mini being in the works.
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,844

Eurogamer says they have info about a SNES mini being in the works.

I'm looking forward to not finding one of these for six months and then giving up.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    Damnit!
    About a month ago I went on Amazon.ca to look for a classic nes mini.  One was available for $99 the rest were around 3-4 hundred.  Going against my gut feeling of too good to be true I ordered one. All was fine with a delivery date scheduled of between 25may-01june.  I went back to check my order last night and all of a sudden the seller had 5bad reviews and all said failed to ship don't order from him.
    So contacted Amazon and they confirmed it was a scam and refunded my purchase. 
    So close yet so far.