Options

PJ fan MOVIE REVIEWS - new, old, popular, obsure

PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
We all think being a movie critic would be pretty cool, right? ;) Post your movie reviews here - new or old movies, popular or obscure, doesn't matter. :) Long and detailed review, short and sweet review, it's all good.

I know there is already a "what movie did you last watch" thread, but most people don't say anything about the movie they watched, which is what I really want to know. I value the opinions of others here, so would love to know others' thoughts about movies they've seen - maybe we can all discover some gems that we wouldn't have watched otherwise.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata

Comments

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    "You goin' in ta see Rocky right now? Great fuckin' movie!"

https://youtu.be/YMqMKxJJYvY
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,849
    don't we usually do this in the last movie you saw thread? although nothing wrong with having a separate thread.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options

don't we usually do this in the last movie you saw thread? although nothing wrong with having a separate thread.

I find that the majority of people just name the movie. Yes, some of us do say something about it, but probably less than half, since that's not the topic of the thread.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    Star Wars The Force Awakens

- It was much better the first time I saw it when the anticipation was high. In retrospect, the acting is fair to middling and there are some pretty big plot gaps.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

- It was much better the first time I saw it when the anticipation was high. In retrospect, the acting is fair to middling and there are some pretty big plot gaps.

I still just can't get over the "unmasking". It was possibly the most anticlimactic moment in movie history. :lol:
  • Options
    Zootopia

- Good animation. Follows the trend of animated movies trying to teach us lessons. I think this one is that all Muslims are not terrorists. At least it didn't leave me feeling depressed like most Pixar movies do.
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    I hope the OP does not mind if I ask: for anyone who watched and liked or loved the movie "Tree Of Life," what is it about the movie you liked?
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    SD48277 said:

I hope the OP does not mind if I ask: for anyone who watched and liked or loved the movie "Tree Of Life," what is it about the movie you liked?

I liked that it was absolutely gorgeous to look at, with most of the breathtaking and mindblowing effects being old school (save a few out-of-place CGI dinosaurs).

And I liked that it was full of questions with no discernible answers, that in its search for beauty and meaning, it only found sublime absurdity and that it presented an open-minded discourse on God and religion without being zealously religious or atheistic.

I like that I feel like life is more worth living after I watch it.

There's more to it for me, but my buddy and I have already gotten into over this one. And like you said, it's her thread.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    Anybody seen the Tarzan movie?

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    edited July 2016
    SD48277 said:

I despised Tree of Life, so no comment on that, lol, but FWIW, you can derail the fuck out of this thread for all I care, since it will be easy to pull it back on the tracks. ;)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    g under p said:

Anybody seen the Tarzan movie?

Peace

Saw Greystoke back in the day. I remember it being kind of boring.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    I really enjoyed People, Places, Things (found it on Netflix). If you like small-scale indie dramas, as opposed to the big budget indie films that are so common, give this one a try. The movie had just the right balance of comedy and drama. Jemaine Clement plays a middle-aged father of young twin girls, going through a sudden divorce. I know, definitely not funny subject matter, but Jemaine's performance was endearing. He will win you over. Especially if you're susceptible to that wonderful New Zealand accent.
    https://youtu.be/Bawtuko5zYs
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    The Ted movies were great - just wrong and fucked up humor (the kind I love). Plus good stoner humor (again).

And Jemaine? :heart:

I don't have Netflix but will search that out via other means, for sure.
  • Options
    ^^Yes, Jemaine is dreamy. Agreed.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,849
    Boy Meets Girl (2014)

Saw it on Netflix the other night. GLBT movie, starring an actual trans woman. This one was actually good. Most of the characters seemed believable and likeable.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNdW9TzxGrk
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,258
    PJ_Soul said:

Jason P said:

I still just can't get over the "unmasking". It was possibly the most anticlimactic moment in movie history. :lol:
    YOU'RE the most anticlimactic moment in movie history.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    The godfather. Best ever.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    After Hours is probably my favorite Scorsese movie.

Griffin Dunne's understated performance in the this absurdist gem about a 1980s UES yuppie who gets trapped out of his element in 1980s SoHo is just amazing.

And all of the quirky ladies he meets along the way--Rosanna Arquette ("Surrender Dorothy"), Linda Fiorentino ("It's under control"), Teri Garr ("Do you like my hairdo?"), Catherine O'Hara ("We'll burn it off"), Verna Bloom ("This is very good for the pores")--show just how different normal can be.

There's one scene that's a page straight out of Kafka's The Trial.

Love this movie.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    There Will Be Blood was the longest, most boring, pretentious pile of overrated garbage I have ever seen. It never went anywhere and there really wasnt any blood.

Pee Wees Big Adventure is possibly one of the best movies ever created. I believe it was Danny Elfman and Tim Burton's debut, or at least very early on for them. It is a masterpiece. Smoke some weed, watch Pee Wees Big Adventure with some friends. Be happy

• Options
    MayDay10 said:

Pee Wees Big Adventure is possibly one of the best movies ever created. I believe it was Danny Elfman and Tim Burton's debut, or at least very early on for them. It is a masterpiece. Smoke some weed, watch Pee Wees Big Adventure with some friends. Be happy

Should we tell 'em Large Marge sent us?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options

I hate that movie, lol.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I hate that movie, lol.
    Why don't you write a review so we can hate on your movie? :tongue:

• Options

PJ_Soul said:

I hate that movie, lol.
    Why don't you write a review so we can hate on your movie? :tongue:

I will when I watch a movie that I want to say something about. :)
  • Options
    What did you not like about The Godfather?
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I think it's just super duper boring. I can't even watch the whole TBH, and I've tried probably 10 times! The reason I kept trying was because I know that it's held up as this magnificent example of great film. And I do really appreciate nuance and all the things that The Godfather is revered for, and of course the acting (which I do appreciate in and of itself). I am well aware. But it just doesn't make up for how fucking boring it is to me. It just goes on and on and on, and I really just don't find myself giving a shit about any of the characters, despite the great acting.
    I am very conscious of the fact that I'm a weirdo for hating this movie, lol.
  • Options
    Long movies are a tough sell. I love 'Out of Africa', 'The Godfather', and 'Gone with the Wind', but I have to seriously be in the mood to watch them. :smile:
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I think it's just super duper boring. I can't even watch the whole TBH, and I've tried probably 10 times! The reason I kept trying was because I know that it's held up as this magnificent example of great film. And I do really appreciate nuance and all the things that The Godfather is revered for, and of course the acting (which I do appreciate in and of itself). I am well aware. But it just doesn't make up for how fucking boring it is to me. It just goes on and on and on, and I really just don't find myself giving a shit about any of the characters, despite the great acting.

S'OK. I cannot stand The Wizard of Oz.

Actually, I like it until Oz, after which it's just a loud, bright, obnoxious mess.

And for super duper boring movie, Gone With the Wind takes the cake.

Scarlett's being a fucking bitch.

Oh look, there's Scarlett being a fucking bitch again.

Damn, looks like Scarlett's still a fucking bitch.

Wait a minute. Hold up, Scarlett just stopped being a fucking bitch for a minute, but Rhett doesn't give a damn. Oh well, tomorrow's another day.

FFS! Could somebody please trample that fucking bitch with a team of horses and then feed her remains to Mr. Wu's fucking pigs.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Long movies are a tough sell. I love 'Out of Africa', 'The Godfather', and 'Gone with the Wind', but I have to seriously be in the mood to watch them. :smile:

I actually normally LOVE long movies..... if they don't bore me to death. :lol: If a movie is really, really good, I don't want it to end, so those ones that are long are the best good movies. Schindler's List comes to mind, as well as Apocalypse Now Redux, the director's cut versions of The Lord of the Rings movies, and Saving Private Ryan. So no, the length of The Godfather really has nothing to do with it for me. I just think the story is boring - it's really just a whole lot of men I don't care for sitting around having really slow conversations.
  • Options
    dankind said:

PJ_Soul said:

S'OK. I cannot stand The Wizard of Oz.

Actually, I like it until Oz, after which it's just a loud, bright, obnoxious mess.

And for super duper boring movie, Gone With the Wind takes the cake.

Scarlett's being a fucking bitch.

Oh look, there's Scarlett being a fucking bitch again.

Damn, looks like Scarlett's still a fucking bitch.

Wait a minute. Hold up, Scarlett just stopped being a fucking bitch for a minute, but Rhett doesn't give a damn. Oh well, tomorrow's another day.

FFS! Could somebody please trample that fucking bitch with a team of horses and then feed her remains to Mr. Wu's fucking pigs.
    :rofl: I don't mind Gone with the Wind overall just because I have a thing for Civil War movies, but I agree that Scarlett is pretty much a fucking bitch, lol.
  • Options
    Deadpool

- If you have watched the red band trailer, you can technically tell people you saw the movie.