Soundgarden - Down on the Upside/Louder Than Love reissues

Soundgarden will re-release a standard single LP vinyl of their second full-length studio album, 1989’s Louder Than Love as well as a two-LP 20th anniversary reissue of their seminal 1996 album, Down on the Upside.

Both LPs have been newly remastered from the original analog tapes and will be released by Ume on August 26 with original artwork, together with download cards including 320kbps MP4 AACs.

Louder Than Love, Soundgarden’s second full-length studio album and major label debut was originally released by A&M Records on September 5, 1989, and was the last to include bassist Hiro Yamamoto. UMe is now releasing Louder Than Love in a single-LP 180-gram vinyl edition.

Down on the Upside, Soundgarden’s fifth full-length studio album, released on May 21, 1996, debuting at #2 on the Billboard 200, represented a significant stylistic departure away from alternative metal into a more experimental sound with an emphasis on vocals, melody and more diverse instrumentation. Now, UMe has made Down on the Upside available for the first time as a two-LP 180-gram vinyl set.

Louder Than Love Vinyl Re-release
Louder Than Love
(one-LP Vinyl)

Side One
1. “Ugly Truth”
2. “Hands All Over”
3. “Gun”
4. “Power Trip”
5. “Get on the Snake”
6. “Full on Kevin’s Mom”

Side Two
1. “Loud Love”
2. “I Awake”
3. “No Wrong No Right”
4. “Uncovered”
5. “Big Dumb Sex”
6. “Full On (Reprise)

Down On The Upside Vinyl Re-release
Down On The Upside
(two-LP vinyl)

Side One
1. “Pretty Noose”
2. “Rhinosaur”
3. “Zero Chance”
4. “Dusty”

Side Two
1. “Ty Cobb”
2. “Blow Up the Outside World”
3. “Burden in My Hand”
4. “Never Named”

Side Three
1. “Applebite”
2. “Never the Machine Forever”
3. “Tighter & Tighter”
4. “No Attention:

Side Four
1. “Switch Opens”
2. “Overfloater”
3. “An Unkind”
4. “Boot Camp”

Comments

• Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    I have an original of "Down on.." but I may take the plunge to see how this one sounds.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    I'm not after how bad Superunknown turned out.
  • Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,491
    Saw the announcement...good news since I've been looking for these for a while.

I thought Superunknown sounded great.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    My current copy of Down on the Upside has a very warped first record. Really bad, like launches the needle into the air kind of bad. I keep meaning to squish it flat under some heavy books but haven't gotten around to it. I'd definitely by the reissue. Louder than Love was the only one I don't have on vinyl. I don't listen to early SG as much as 90's SG, but it'll be nice to have it round out the collection.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Will they both cost $50 like Superunknown did??? I refused to buy that one because of the ridiculous price.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata

I thought Superunknown sounded great.

I spun it again a few months ago. I thought it was fine wehn I got it, but listening closely, its way fuzzed out. And not inner groove distortion. The high end just gets all fuzzy and breaks up and the low end is a sloppy mess.

The digital version sounded pretty good, but it was not cut well for vinyl.

• kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    PJ_Soul said:

Will they both cost $50 like Superunknown did??? I refused to buy that one because of the ridiculous price.

They'll end up as a package on popmarket.
    Probably with Superunknown too.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited July 2016
    kramer73 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Popmarket's shipping to Canada costs almost as much as the album itself, sometimes more. I remember once I was going to order a package deal of 3 or 4 albums or something that cost $60 and the shipping was $76 USD. :lol: Great option for Americans though.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    PJ_Soul said:

kramer73 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Popmarket's shipping to Canada costs almost as much as the album itself, sometimes more. I remember once I was going to order a package deal of 3 or 4 albums or something that cost $60 and the shipping was $76 USD. :lol: Great option for Americans though.
    I love Canada, and am sorry you get the short-end of the stick when it comes to shipping.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    I'll sell you my OP for $50000000000
    www.cluthelee.com
    I ordered my Superunknown reissue from Amazon.uk. Amazon UK's shipping costs are very reasonable. There was a long while that it was cheaper for me to buy all my new vinyl from Amazon UK (and sometimes amazon.de and amazon.fr). They remove the VAT (eurotax) from the order on checkout, so the final price is cheaper than what you see.

Shipping from the US has gotten really bad, so the falling pound is making it more attractive to order from the UK as they have cheaper vinyl prices.
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Down on the Upside is vastly underrated
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    So excited for this reissue!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Looks like prices are much more reasonable. Wait a little bit after they're released and they'll come down more. Looks like Superunknown has come down to $27.50 on Amazon.
  • Looks like prices are much more reasonable. Wait a little bit after they're released and they'll come down more. Looks like Superunknown has come down to $27.50 on Amazon.

How much was it when it first came out?
  • EchoesOnMarsEchoesOnMars Reading, Pennsylvania Posts: 422
    Awesome, personally Down On The Upside is my favourite by them
    Philadelphia 2013 (Night 1)
    Philadelphia 2016 (Night 2)
    Upper Darby 2016 (Night 2) (Temple of the Dog)

• EchoesOnMarsEchoesOnMars Reading, Pennsylvania Posts: 422

Looks like prices are much more reasonable. Wait a little bit after they're released and they'll come down more. Looks like Superunknown has come down to $27.50 on Amazon.

Too much, I remember it pre-ordering for like $45
    Philadelphia 2013 (Night 1)
    Philadelphia 2016 (Night 2)
    Upper Darby 2016 (Night 2) (Temple of the Dog)

After foreign exchange I paid around 30 or 35 by importing from Amazon UK. It was considerably cheaper than ordering from Amazon Canada (at the time). I think it was around $50 on there.

I think it was $50.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,833
    I'm gonna wait for amazon, but I'll be all over these. I saw comments on a news article about this earlier, lots of people saying stuff like "all down hill after Louder Than Love" - fucking really?! It's a solid album, but seriously......
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Never forget Down, came out the day I graduated from high school in 96'. Had the CD in my car for the next year. Gonna bust this back out tomorrow.
    www.cluthelee.com
    $20/$25 respectively at Bullmoose. Great prices.
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    I have an original pressing of Louder Than Love. I've listened to that album so many times I couldn't even put a number on it.
  • youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    Zod said:

My current copy of Down on the Upside has a very warped first record. Really bad, like launches the needle into the air kind of bad. I keep meaning to squish it flat under some heavy books but haven't gotten around to it. I'd definitely by the reissue. Louder than Love was the only one I don't have on vinyl. I don't listen to early SG as much as 90's SG, but it'll be nice to have it round out the collection.

Try putting the record on a round baking sheet in the oven for about 10 min at 170 degrees. I swear to you I got a damaged vinyl once in the mail, like run over by a truck damaged and it was almost bent at a 90 degree angle. Put it in the oven for 10 min and it flattened right back out and played perfect. Just watch it until it lays flat and take it out and let it cool on a flat surface like a counter or something.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    youngster said:

Zod said:

Try putting the record on a round baking sheet in the oven for about 10 min at 170 degrees. I swear to you I got a damaged vinyl once in the mail, like run over by a truck damaged and it was almost bent at a 90 degree angle. Put it in the oven for 10 min and it flattened right back out and played perfect. Just watch it until it lays flat and take it out and let it cool on a flat surface like a counter or something.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxnxH-7Xk7U
    chinese-happy.jpg