Options

Jill Stein for President

Comments

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    "government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth" - gettysburg address

Doesn't say anywhere in that line that you must have 30 years at the taxpayer trough to be a politician...

It also doest say anywhere in that line that politicians are the only one that should decide.

You could almost interpret that line to mean direct democracy

Jill Stein is every bit qualified to be president, even more qualified than the shit for candidates that dominate our nightly news with garbage...

I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    lukin2006 said:

Jill Stein is every bit qualified to be president, even more qualified than the shit for candidates that dominate our nightly news with garbage...

American
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,717

lukin2006 said:

American
    Oh are you missing out, haha!
    lukin2006 said:

"government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth" - gettysburg address

Doesn't say anywhere in that line that you must have 30 years at the taxpayer trough to be a politician...

It also doest say anywhere in that line that politicians are the only one that should decide.

Absolutely. Too bad more of us don't believe this.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    The saddest part of this election isn't Clinton's career corruption or Trumps escapades, it's that Stein won't garner 5% of the vote.
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

The saddest part of this election isn't Clinton's career corruption or Trumps escapades, it's that Stein won't garner 5% of the vote.

True...even sadder considering Clinton and Trumps unpopularity...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    lukin2006 said:

I agree in spirit, but I have practical concerns.
    It is a hell of a big job. More important than having experience at such a big job is having a network of competent, experienced people you trust and rely on to fill cabinet positions and to advise you.
    Does Stein have such a network? Surely ahe can find competent, experienced people to advise her, but personal and professional relationships take time to develop and mature.

Everyone scorns the backroom dealings, the maneuvering and dealing, but that is how things get done in the world, in both personal and professional relationships.
    You can't expect great results if you go to your boss, family, friend, or spouse and say: "I need you to go out on a limb for me, you have to compromise yourself and you might fall and get hurt but I can't promise I will reciprocate because I might have to compromise on something that's important, and I just can't do that."
    It isn't a great strategy and Stein will have to employ it with many people that are complete strangers.
    How does she get what she wants done without comitting evil compromises that her followers will scorn her for when nobody owes her any favors and she can't promise them anything in return?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    lukin2006 said:

JC29856 said:

True...even sadder considering Clinton and Trumps unpopularity...
    Don't you know... mostly everyone loves a circus.
  • Options

Clinton's campaign chair John Podesta's brother Tony is the top US lobbyist for Saudi Arabia. #FollowTheMoney https://t.co/kPbH4vsXal

— Dr. Jill Stein (@DrJillStein) November 2, 2016

• Options
    JC29856 said:

It's not likely to happen but not giving up on it. There could be a lot of people just not saying they will vote for Stein yet who will. Maybe even a few of them around these parts.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    JC29856 said:

I certainly hope she does get 5% but I doubt it being here in Florida. I voted for her and I'm hoping she gets that 5% so that in the next election presidential elections they will be a mandate for a third party.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    g under p said:

JC29856 said:

I certainly hope she does get 5% but I doubt it being here in Florida. I voted for her and I'm hoping she gets that 5% so that in the next election presidential elections they will be a mandate for a third party.

Peace
    realpolitics has her tracking in the average polls at between 2% to 3%. I hope these polls are at least a couple of percentage points off. You'd think with all the unpopularity of the two leading candidates that the independents Stein and Johnson would be doing better. Are we here in the US stuck in a two party rut or what?!

• Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    brianlux said:

g under p said:

JC29856 said:

Peace
    realpolitics has her tracking in the average polls at between 2% to 3%. I hope these polls are at least a couple of percentage points off. You'd think with all the unpopularity of the two leading candidates that the independents Stein and Johnson would be doing better. Are we here in the US stuck in a two party rut or what?!
    Only if we continue to allow it...could there be changes to this after this election? I guess we wait and see

I am pretty surprised myself that Stein isnt doing better considering the options, I really wish she was but she doesn't get the exposure the other candidates do

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534
    brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

hedonist said:

brianlux said:

What is it about Baraka some of you find unfavorable? Him criticizing those who want to "assimilate African Americans"? His being against the death penalty? His being opposed to incarcerating people on marijuana-related charges? His condemnation of NAFTA? His criticism of Katrina disaster relief? His humanitarian stance?

Something else?

Easy there! From here, I was asking a straightforward and sincere question since he/the topic hadn't been addressed among all the praises of Stein.

*edit as I read one comment incorrectly.
    No worries, Hedo. I was sincerely wondering why some others here expressed what sounds like disapproval. I honestly don't know much more about Baraka than what I posted.

Would be interesting to have an ex-president named Barack and a VP named Baraka. :smile:
    I just looked him up to see if there was any reason for someone to say he seemed extreme in some ways. He is certainly an outspoken activist with very specific ideals, and some bigger dolts find just that to be extremist, lol. But anyway, I did find this quote (wiki): Baraka has criticized efforts to "Americanize" black radicals and to assimilate African Americans into the American middle class, writing: "Saner people would call that process genocide, but in the U.S. it is called racial progress."[20] Referencing Black Panther activist Assata Shakur, Baraka argued that black radical activists could never obtain true freedom "while the American government and American capitalism remain intact."[20]"

I can see why some not unreasonable people would see such an idea as extreme.
    I don't see his statement as extreme at all. You've shown support for Native Americans in various threads so I assume you understand how assimilation has been a form of genocide for Natives- not as extreme as small pox infested blankets and outright murder, but if you study the history, it is just as much a form of genocide. The same thing has been applied to African Americans throughout our history. So is not referring to an intelligent opposition to this and any form of assimilation "extreme" rather inaccurate?
    I know the history and I think you know where I stand. Come on Brian. Saying that African Americans joining the middle class is genocide to sane people? Given reality, that is pretty extreme.
    I think his point is that assimilation is more than just joining the middle class. I can only imagine the frustration of black activists generation upon generation. Progress at a snails pace is the American way.

But what do I know? Baraka knows far more about all this than I do and it is just one facet of the man. His position includes "an agenda of economic, social, racial, gender, climate, indigenous and immigrant justice." Sounds good to me.

http://www.jill2016.com/jill_stein_selects_ajamu_baraka_as_vp

If he didn't mean it was a genocide, then he wouldn't have said it was (to sane people).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Bump because I predict at least one of you will change your mind last minute and vote for Stein. :smiley:

• Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    edited November 2016
    http://forward.com/the-assimilator/353619/lena-dunham-compares-voting-for-jill-stein-to-hooking-up-with-a-taken-guy/

She's the WASPy privileged hipster equivalent of Sarah Palin. Can't stand this neolib moron at all.
    Post edited by InHiding80 on
  • Options
    Just one more time chime in for anyone here NOT in a swing state to consider voting for Stein. If she gets 5%, Green Party qualifies for public funding next time. Let's consider widening the playing field.

Thanks, peace, and keep cool tomorrow.

• Options

http://forward.com/the-assimilator/353619/lena-dunham-compares-voting-for-jill-stein-to-hooking-up-with-a-taken-guy/

She's the WASPy privileged hipster equivalent of Sarah Palin. Can't stand this neolib moron at all.

You are not seriously comparing a Harvard educated Doctor to Sarah Palin.

• Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    brianlux said:

Just one more time chime in for anyone here NOT in a swing state to consider voting for Stein. If she gets 5%, Green Party qualifies for public funding next time. Let's consider widening the playing field.

Thanks, peace, and keep cool tomorrow.

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I sat there for 5 minutes staring at the fucking thing. I was undecided, even while voting...

Went with Stein. Glad I did.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

I sat there for 5 minutes staring at the fucking thing. I was undecided, even while voting...

Went with Stein. Glad I did.

Today I will try very hard not to criticize anyone for their choice in voting- we are lucky to have that freedom. Yet at the same time I will not hesitate to say--- thank you MayDay!

Please everyone today, no heart attacks, ulcers, dives off the roof top, kicking the dog, yelling at the cat. Life goes on no matter what the election result.

"I'm still alive!"
    -Eddie Vedder

"I'm alive- we're all alive!"
    -John Lydon

• Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,844
    She got my vote... again
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    lukin2006 said:

Doctor knowlege doesn't equal political knowledge. Just look at Ben Carson on the other side.
  • Options

lukin2006 said:

Doctor knowlege doesn't equal political knowledge. Just look at Ben Carson on the other side.
    hahahaha ... being trained as a physician, I think she could figure it out pretty quick ... love people like yourself and your way of thinking that only career politicians know what their doing ... hahahahaha ...

• Options

She got my vote... again

Good show, SVRDhand! image

• Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    Looks like the leadership in the green party is disassociating itself with Jill over the recounts.
    Hopefully she didn't do any long lasting damage to the party.
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

Looks like the leadership in the green party is disassociating itself with Jill over the recounts.
    Hopefully she didn't do any long lasting damage to the party.

What difference would it really make if she did? It's not like they have a lot to lose anyway.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,916
    What damage could the recount possibly do to the Green Party?

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    JimmyV said:

What damage could the recount possibly do to the Green Party?

None whatsoever. When there is nothing to lose there is nothing to damage.
  • Options
    ^^^
    Peoples hard earned money going to her pipe dream does damage.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826

^^^
    Peoples hard earned money going to her pipe dream does damage.

Who or what does it damage?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf