Jill Stein for President

Comments

• brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

brianlux said:

"Silence is not what democracy needs. Right now we have an election where, even the supporters of Hillary Clinton, the majority don't support Hillary; they just oppose Donald Trump. And the majority of Donald Trump supporters don't support him; they just oppose Hillary."
    -Jill Stein

It's a good quote for sure.
    A little too late to the party though.
    As usual the people who care about politics and want real change didn't put them on the ballot.
    It's never too early and it's never late to say what should be said.
    Well it's not exactly an original thought.
    I have to interpret this two ways:

1)Saying, "It's never too early and it's never late to say what should be said" was original to me. Someone else probably has said that before but it came out of my head. I don't knowingly plagiarize (which I think means I simply don't plagiarize). If I read it elsewhere, I use quotes and cite the reference. Always.

2) I don't know what number two is, PJ_Soul because I don't know what it that I said about whatever it is that is being said widely.

(Opening notes to Led Zeppelin's "Communication Break Down" start in my head. da da/ da da/ da da/ da da/ daaaaaaaaaaaaa/ da da! )

To paraphrase John Lydon (not sure of the exact wording), "The best way to resolve conflict is to just get it all out! Say it all, everything you have to say! And then have a great sense of humor in order to work things out."

Spooky
    http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/clinton-urges-fbi-to-explain-newly-uncovered-emails-1.3136284
    "Let's get it out," she said
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

brianlux said:

"Silence is not what democracy needs. Right now we have an election where, even the supporters of Hillary Clinton, the majority don't support Hillary; they just oppose Donald Trump. And the majority of Donald Trump supporters don't support him; they just oppose Hillary."
    -Jill Stein

As usual the people who care about politics and want real change didn't put them on the ballot.

1)Saying, "It's never too early and it's never late to say what should be said" was original to me. Someone else probably has said that before but it came out of my head. I don't knowingly plagiarize (which I think means I simply don't plagiarize). If I read it elsewhere, I use quotes and cite the reference. Always.

2) I don't know what number two is, PJ_Soul because I don't know what it that I said about whatever it is that is being said widely.

(Opening notes to Led Zeppelin's "Communication Break Down" start in my head. da da/ da da/ da da/ da da/ daaaaaaaaaaaaa/ da da! )

To paraphrase John Lydon (not sure of the exact wording), "The best way to resolve conflict is to just get it all out! Say it all, everything you have to say! And then have a great sense of humor in order to work things out."

I think this might clear it up Brian: I wasn't talking about your thought. I was still talking about Stein's thought. ;)
    Ah yes, I see!

Oh but it's such a great quote and not meaning to be obnoxious but it is SO-O-O relevant today as the election nears:

-Jill Stein

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

brianlux said:

-Jill Stein

I think this might clear it up Brian: I wasn't talking about your thought. I was still talking about Stein's thought. ;)
    Ah yes, I see!

Oh but it's such a great quote and not meaning to be obnoxious but it is SO-O-O relevant today as the election nears:

-Jill Stein

It is a great quote.
    So should America go all in with her?..........
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

brianlux said:

-Jill Stein

Ah yes, I see!

-Jill Stein

This is the truth.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon

brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

brianlux said:

-Jill Stein

Ah yes, I see!

-Jill Stein

It is a great quote.
    So should America go all in with her?..........
    I see no reason why not too! The two leading candidates are career politicians. In other words, they really don't do much. Stein gets down to business. She wants an equitable, fair and just society. Is very concerned about environmental issues. Cares about the rights on indigenous people. Cares about all people, animals and the world we live in. What more could we ask for!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

She should win by default ... those other two candidates are the shits....
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

lukin2006 said:

I totally agree, Lukin. I would not be difficult to find several reasons to both disqualify Clinton and Trump.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,506
    brianlux said:

lukin2006 said:

I totally agree, Lukin. I would not be difficult to find several reasons to both disqualify Clinton and Trump.
    If it were easy someone would have found those reasons by now, no? Pretty sure there is currently no legal reason for either of them to be disqualified.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

lukin2006 said:

If it were easy someone would have found those reasons by now, no? Pretty sure there is currently no legal reason for either of them to be disqualified.
    To hell with legal reasons, I say. There are plenty of moral reasons for them to be disqualified starting with a) not acting like mature, intelligent leaders and spending more time berating the other rather than telling us how they will work to make the world better, b) not showing compassion for all people (including the Dakota Native Americans!) , and c) neither showing much if any concern about protecting the environment and the planet that sustains us and makes this whole shit-show possible. How could they miss that???

brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

lukin2006 said:

To hell with legal reasons, I say. There are plenty of moral reasons for them to be disqualified starting with a) not acting like mature, intelligent leaders and spending more time berating the other rather than telling us how they will work to make the world better, b) not showing compassion for all people (including the Dakota Native Americans!) , and c) neither showing much if any concern about protecting the environment and the planet that sustains us and makes this whole shit-show possible. How could they miss that???
    I am not defending them, I just don't see the point in talking about disqualification when they haven't done anything to be disqualified. Fantasizing about disqualification seems pretty useless to me.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

lukin2006 said:

I am not defending them, I just don't see the point in talking about disqualification when they haven't done anything to be disqualified. Fantasizing about disqualification seems pretty useless to me.
    Yes and no. Wishing them away will do nothing. Pointing out the short comings of these candidates and of a process whereby we elect leaders who are not nearly what we want in leaders is at least the beginning of how we make progress and change happen. I believe in doing what I believe in or what makes sense with the hope (but not necessarily the expectation) that those actions will lead to the outcome I hope for.

OK to call be an "idealist". :smile:

• Boxes&BooksBoxes&Books USA Posts: 2,672
    Bump
    I'm voting by mail here in Helldorado County this weekend. The propositions in CA are numerous and some, as always, rather confusing. I'll take a little breather and bask in the joy of no qualms about filling in that little circle next to the name "Jill Stein". :smile:

• FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    brianlux said:

I'm voting by mail here in Helldorado County this weekend. The propositions in CA are numerous and some, as always, rather confusing. I'll take a little breather and bask in the joy of no qualms about filling in that little circle next to the name "Jill Stein". :smile:

Go Brian!
    It's outrageous that the world’s richest country doesn't provide healthcare as a right, like virtually all other developed nations.-Jill Stein

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,413
    I didn't know Dr. Jill Stein was a musician.

American Dream · somebody's sister

circuits to the sun

℗ 1999 Jill Stein and Ken Selcer

Released on: 1999-01-01

https://youtu.be/sx3zMIeHsgA
    cutz said:

I didn't know Dr. Jill Stein was a musician.

American Dream · somebody's sister

circuits to the sun

℗ 1999 Jill Stein and Ken Selcer

Released on: 1999-01-01

https://youtu.be/sx3zMIeHsgA

Co-written by Bobby Womack no less. Very cool!

• pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    this should be the first woman president, not corrupt Clinton
    pjalive21 said:

this should be the first woman president, not corrupt Clinton

Jill Stein isn't even close to being suited for the position. I don't even think she is a very effective leader of the Green Party TBH. I don't have anything against her. She just doesn't have what it takes IMO, despite some good ideals.
    However, I would love to see Elizabeth Warren in the position. Not in the cards, obviously, but it would be great.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Just me, or has no one mentioned anything about her VP choice?
    hedonist said:

Just me, or has no one mentioned anything about her VP choice?

ill be honest up until you said something I forgot who it was and that alone puts on the breaks for me with her...thanks for bringing that up

Ajamu Baraka...guy is pretty extreme
    What is it about Baraka some of you find unfavorable? Him criticizing those who want to "assimilate African Americans"? His being against the death penalty? His being opposed to incarcerating people on marijuana-related charges? His condemnation of NAFTA? His criticism of Katrina disaster relief? His humanitarian stance?

Something else?

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    edited November 2016
    brianlux said:

What is it about Baraka some of you find unfavorable? Him criticizing those who want to "assimilate African Americans"? His being against the death penalty? His being opposed to incarcerating people on marijuana-related charges? His condemnation of NAFTA? His criticism of Katrina disaster relief? His humanitarian stance?

Something else?

Easy there! From here, I was asking a straightforward and sincere question since he/the topic hadn't been addressed among all the praises of Stein.

*edit as I read one comment incorrectly.
    hedonist said:

brianlux said:

Something else?

Easy there! From here, I was asking a straightforward and sincere question since he/the topic hadn't been addressed among all the praises of Stein.

No worries, Hedo. I was sincerely wondering why some others here expressed what sounds like disapproval. I honestly don't know much more about Baraka than what I posted.

Would be interesting to have an ex-president named Barack and a VP named Baraka. :smile:

brianlux said:

hedonist said:

brianlux said:

Something else?

No worries, Hedo. I was sincerely wondering why some others here expressed what sounds like disapproval. I honestly don't know much more about Baraka than what I posted.

Would be interesting to have an ex-president named Barack and a VP named Baraka. :smile:
    I just looked him up to see if there was any reason for someone to say he seemed extreme in some ways. He is certainly an outspoken activist with very specific ideals, and some bigger dolts find just that to be extremist, lol. But anyway, I did find this quote (wiki): Baraka has criticized efforts to "Americanize" black radicals and to assimilate African Americans into the American middle class, writing: "Saner people would call that process genocide, but in the U.S. it is called racial progress."[20] Referencing Black Panther activist Assata Shakur, Baraka argued that black radical activists could never obtain true freedom "while the American government and American capitalism remain intact."[20]"

I can see why some not unreasonable people would see such an idea as extreme.
    PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

hedonist said:

brianlux said:

Something else?

I just looked him up to see if there was any reason for someone to say he seemed extreme in some ways. He is certainly an outspoken activist with very specific ideals, and some bigger dolts find just that to be extremist, lol. But anyway, I did find this quote (wiki): Baraka has criticized efforts to "Americanize" black radicals and to assimilate African Americans into the American middle class, writing: "Saner people would call that process genocide, but in the U.S. it is called racial progress."[20] Referencing Black Panther activist Assata Shakur, Baraka argued that black radical activists could never obtain true freedom "while the American government and American capitalism remain intact."[20]"

I like some of what he has to say but everything with this guy is about race TPP and NAFTA holding down black people??? I mean im against TPP and NAFTA, but he is stretching on this point big time

"""Baraka has termed trade deals a "Black issue" both domestically and internationally.[23][24] He asserts that the TPP "is a weapon to maintain U.S. global hegemony by denying the fundamental economic, social and cultural rights of millions of people in order to benefit a parasitic white minority ruling class in the U.S."[23] He has stated that poverty and disruption of black communities in many US cities and among peoples in Latin America are the result of NAFTA.[23][24]"""
    pjalive21 said:

PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

hedonist said:

brianlux said:

Something else?

I like some of what he has to say but everything with this guy is about race TPP and NAFTA holding down black people??? I mean im against TPP and NAFTA, but he is stretching on this point big time

"""Baraka has termed trade deals a "Black issue" both domestically and internationally.[23][24] He asserts that the TPP "is a weapon to maintain U.S. global hegemony by denying the fundamental economic, social and cultural rights of millions of people in order to benefit a parasitic white minority ruling class in the U.S."[23] He has stated that poverty and disruption of black communities in many US cities and among peoples in Latin America are the result of NAFTA.[23][24]"""
    Yeah, it's a little much. He definitely has a one track mind that I think could cause him to really see things in a skewed and incorrect context at times.
    Anyway, I guess it doesn't much matter. It's not like he'll ever be VP or anything.
    PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

hedonist said:

brianlux said:

Something else?

I don't see his statement as extreme at all. You've shown support for Native Americans in various threads so I assume you understand how assimilation has been a form of genocide for Natives- not as extreme as small pox infested blankets and outright murder, but if you study the history, it is just as much a form of genocide. The same thing has been applied to African Americans throughout our history. So is not referring to an intelligent opposition to this and any form of assimilation "extreme" rather inaccurate?

brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

hedonist said:

brianlux said:

Something else?

I don't see his statement as extreme at all. You've shown support for Native Americans in various threads so I assume you understand how assimilation has been a form of genocide for Natives- not as extreme as small pox infested blankets and outright murder, but if you study the history, it is just as much a form of genocide. The same thing has been applied to African Americans throughout our history. So is not referring to an intelligent opposition to this and any form of assimilation "extreme" rather inaccurate?
    I know the history and I think you know where I stand. Come on Brian. Saying that African Americans joining the middle class is genocide to sane people? Given reality, that is pretty extreme.
    PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

hedonist said:

brianlux said:

Something else?

I know the history and I think you know where I stand. Come on Brian. Saying that African Americans joining the middle class is genocide to sane people? Given reality, that is pretty extreme.
    I think his point is that assimilation is more than just joining the middle class. I can only imagine the frustration of black activists generation upon generation. Progress at a snails pace is the American way.

But what do I know? Baraka knows far more about all this than I do and it is just one facet of the man. His position includes "an agenda of economic, social, racial, gender, climate, indigenous and immigrant justice." Sounds good to me.

http://www.jill2016.com/jill_stein_selects_ajamu_baraka_as_vp