Options

Jill Stein for President

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,709
    ^^^ probably not but we can try!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    edited August 2016
    jeffbr said:

polaris_x said:

what does she need to do to get on the tv debates?

She has to have 15% support across 5 national polls to be included.
    This is a terrible rule.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    PJ_Soul said:

jeffbr said:

polaris_x said:

This is a terrible rule.
    I agree. I understand having some bar so that you don't have 50 kooky candidates with little to no support clogging up a debate, but I could see a rule change where the top 4 or 5 candidates based on polling numbers are invited. It would certainly make things more interesting. As it is now, it is a very exclusive event, and 3rd party candidates have a very tough time meeting meeting the requirements (which is by design since the 2 major parties effectively control the Presidential Debate Commission).
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    https://www.rawstory.com/2016/09/jill-stein-insists-trump-is-less-dangerous-than-clinton-and-attacks-bernie-sanders-as-a-dc-insider/

Some interesting things to consider here:

While she [Stein] describes Trump as a danger she also believes he’s nothing more than a moron who has destroyed the GOP. Clinton, on the other hand, she considers a greater threat.

“Donald Trump, I think, will have a lot of trouble moving things through Congress,” Stein says. “Hillary Clinton, on the other hand, won’t … Hillary has the potential to do a whole lot more damage, get us into more wars, faster to pass her fracking disastrous climate program, much more easily than Donald Trump could do his.”
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    PJ_Soul said:

jeffbr said:

polaris_x said:

This is a terrible rule.
    Designed to keep dissenting views out, implemented after Ross Perot shook things up. Two party duopoly put a quick end to that.
  • Options
    Ues
    PJPOWER said:

brianlux said:

polaris_x said:

the reality is that the majority of people can vote for jill stein without any real consequence ... only the people in swing states need to decide if voting strategically is something they want to do ...

That makes sense.

Either way, I'm so disgusted with the whole mess. Trump is a joke. Clinton is almost as bad. I'm voting for Stein.
    Doesn't look like you are alone.
    https://youtu.be/nUOtnHcQ7FI
    That looks like a strong women to me!
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

Ues

PJPOWER said:

brianlux said:

polaris_x said:

the reality is that the majority of people can vote for jill stein without any real consequence ... only the people in swing states need to decide if voting strategically is something they want to do ...

That makes sense.

Either way, I'm so disgusted with the whole mess. Trump is a joke. Clinton is almost as bad. I'm voting for Stein.
    That looks like a strong women to me!
    She is! And smart, intelligent, passionate, energetic. And her support is growing- far more than the major media outlets are willing to admit.

• Options
    PJPOWER said:

brianlux said:

polaris_x said:

That makes sense.

Stein just wants Americans to know if their nutrition is GMO. Since Monsanto says we try to sell as much as possible, it's the FDAs job to say it's unhealthy. FDA is of course made up of Agri-business insiders.

http://www.jill2016.com/fb_ad_gmos
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

PJPOWER said:

brianlux said:

polaris_x said:

That makes sense.

Stein just wants Americans to know if their nutrition is GMO. Since Monsanto says we try to sell as much as possible, it's the FDAs job to say it's unhealthy. FDA is of course made up of Agri-business insiders.

http://www.jill2016.com/fb_ad_gmos
    Yes, labeling is a very reasonable request and such a simple thing to do. Weird that we can't have that information on our food labels.

And of course Stein is about much more than just the GMO issue.

• Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    brianlux said:

https://www.rawstory.com/2016/09/jill-stein-insists-trump-is-less-dangerous-than-clinton-and-attacks-bernie-sanders-as-a-dc-insider/

While she [Stein] describes Trump as a danger she also believes he’s nothing more than a moron who has destroyed the GOP. Clinton, on the other hand, she considers a greater threat.

“Donald Trump, I think, will have a lot of trouble moving things through Congress,” Stein says. “Hillary Clinton, on the other hand, won’t … Hillary has the potential to do a whole lot more damage, get us into more wars, faster to pass her fracking disastrous climate program, much more easily than Donald Trump could do his.”

So true Brian. While the circus over on mass media wants us to believe a phony clownish character is out to get us or destroy us, while instituting their establishment monster, who actually does want the job of POTUS, so more wars are waged, more big banks and corps rule, more big pharma companies are allowed to rip us off.
  • Options
    Free said:

brianlux said:

So true Brian. While the circus over on mass media wants us to believe a phony clownish character is out to get us or destroy us, while instituting their establishment monster, who actually does want the job of POTUS, so more wars are waged, more big banks and corps rule, more big pharma companies are allowed to rip us off.
    Yeah, this important stuff to look at. I'm not saying I like the idea of having Trump as president but like the article says, he would have a very difficult time getting things passed through congress, and yet Hillary would have little trouble doing so-- like fracking and more war, not things that are in our own best interest.

And maybe if Trump wins we as a nation will be so humiliated, so chided, denounced and rebuked by the rest of the world for not being able to nominate a few worthy candidates that perhaps next time we will take our political system more seriously. As it stands, we are the butt of our own bad joke. It's a bit nauseating.

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    What's her 2A stance?
  • Options
    unsung said:

What's her 2A stance?

Is that a draft deferment? LOL

Bonus question: For 2 points, Is "2A" and acronym or an initialism?

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    2nd Amendment
  • Options
    unsung said:

2nd Amendment

"We certainly need an assault weapons ban, but we need more than that. There are some 260 people every day who are injured or killed by gun violence, so it's very important that we ban assault weapons, for starters, but there are other steps that need to be taken quickly. Local communities need to be able to regulate guns, as needed, to deal with their violence. So, we need to keep guns out of the hands of criminals. We need background checks, so that the mentally ill are not possessing and using guns. And we need to end the gun show loopholes, as well, because there's far too much violence from guns, which is not needed."

Q: How do you feel about personal gun ownership?

A: It is more dangerous to the occupants of a home to have a gun than not. It's more likely that you'll be injured by your own gun than that you'll be defended against some intruder with that gun. It's an enormous public health problem in our cities--there are tragedies every day where young people are being shot, as victims of gun crimes. It's tragic. We're not arguing that nobody should have a gun--but public safety should factor into constraints.

http://www.ontheissues.org/2012/Jill_Stein_Gun_Control.htm

• Options
    Well then, nevermind.
  • Options
    unsung said:

Well then, nevermind.

You probably had already surmised her stand and we know you are "very pro gun", so why ask?

• Options
    I honestly did not know her stance. I don't know much about her at all.
  • Options
    unsung said:

I honestly did not know her stance. I don't know much about her at all.

In that case, I apologize for jumping to conclusions. If by any chance you decide to vote again, check her out. She's straight ahead, honest, forthright, passionate about doing good things, a no bullshit lady with a lot of guts and strengths.

• Options
    Well the whole no gun thing kinda is a non starter for me.
  • Options
    unsung said:

I don't believe she has ever said "no guns" but is definitely more in favor of restrictions than to your liking. But no one is going to be an exact fit for any of us. Finding the best the overall match is the key.

• Options
    unsung said:

I missed the "no gun" part of what was posted. She seems to put forth a pretty solid proposal of what Americans want in regards to gun control. Common sense proposals to cut down access to guns for those who shouldn't have access but also respecting the second amendment. Or 2A as the cool kids call it.
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    just because it's in the constitution doesn't make it a a good thing ...
  • Options
    I may have to change my mind!

“If you vote for Hillary Clinton,” Madonna told the crowd at Madison Square Garden, “I will give you a blow job.”
    “And I’m good,” the 58-year-old “Like a Virgin” singer, an outspoken supporter of the Democratic presidential nominee, said to cheers from the audience.

“I’m not a tool. I take my time,” Madonna boasted.
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

“If you vote for Hillary Clinton,” Madonna told the crowd at Madison Square Garden, “I will give you a blow job.”
    “And I’m good,” the 58-year-old “Like a Virgin” singer, an outspoken supporter of the Democratic presidential nominee, said to cheers from the audience.

:facepalm:!

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    JC29856 said:

Gross, and she's disgustingly gross...get a hummer from granny madonna, looooong shower after.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    lukin2006 said:

JC29856 said:

Gross, and she's disgustingly gross...get a hummer from granny madonna, looooong shower after.
    I guess Madonna wouldn't be up for JC Madge and Stein menage a trois!
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    :pig:
  • Options
    Aging "star" desperate for attention. From pop star to children's book writer to... see Free's post above.

• Options

https://www.rt.com/usa/363379-jill-stein-debates-live/

20 October 2016
    02:38 GMT
    Stein touted her lack of experience in politics as a strength, saying “As an ordinary citizen, as an organizer, I worked with many citizen groups to pass campaign finance reform."

On Trump's allegations that the election is rigged, Stein said “Let’s just look at this debate and this example, this is a rigged debate.”

Stein called the candidates “two creatures” and said we need to “unrig our political system.” Stein also said that the 5 percent was so close it was “tantalizing.”

02:20 GMT
    “What a shameful reflection on what our political system has come to that so much time has been spent on who’s a bigger crook and whose foundation is a scam.”

Stein said “the mingling of the economic and the political elite” has compromised the Democratic system.

02:12 GMT
    "I sort of feel like this is not a good use of your time, this is not what your election should be about. This is a slap in the face to the American sensibilities and voters."
    Stein said, referring to the "scumbag misogyny of one of the candidates."

Stein affirmed the need to support women, saying "I do want to affirm that yes, the abuse of women is a very common problem. One out of three women is abused or harassed."

She went on to say, "This is a very serious issue and we must be sure that there are economic opportunities for women across the board so that women are not forced into dependent relationships."

02:09 GMT
    On the economy, Stein said “Let’s remember where this Wall Street crash came from.” She went on to say it came from deregulation from the Democrats she claimed and emphasized the need to have a president that is not a friend of Wall Street.

Hillary Clinton in particular must speak to Democrats and encourage them not to vote for this plan that is “an utter coup” that puts a World Bank appointed tribunal in charge of our healthcare, labor rights and many others.
    "Donald and Hillary, if you are really against the Trans Pacific Partnership, stand up against the lame duck passage."

02:01 GMT
    “We call for a New Deal like what got us out of the Great Depression, but in this case it would be a Green New Deal.”

Stein explained that it would revive the economy, turn the tide on climate change and eliminate the need for fossil fuel inspired wars.

02:00 GMT
    "While Donald Trump in theory opposes the trade deals that send jobs overseas, what does he do?" She said of Trump’s products being manufactured overseas. She also criticized him for recent sex scandals and Trump University.

She handled Clinton the same, bringing up Clinton’s speech where she emphasized the need for both a public and private position.

01:39 GMT
    "Let’s just recall that we are now at the most dangerous moment in the most of humanity," Stein said of the current nuclear threat.

"The former head of the Soviet Union, Mikhail Gorbachev, has said this is the most dangerous situation he has seen in his lifetime."

Stein also encouraged viewers to "really pay attention to what your body is telling you about these candidates.” Stein also assured her audience that the Green Party "has the numbers," despite only polling at 2 percent.

01:25 GMT
    "I certainly support continuing Roe v Wade and supporting a woman’s right to determining her reproductive future."

She also supported overturning the Hyde Amendment which, according to Stein, allows poor and low-income women to have abortions as well.

01:25 GMT
    On immigration, Jill Stein criticized both Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump's policies saying "It’s clear that Donald Trump’s vision of a war – of a wall, which isn’t much different than his vision of a war, is catastrophic."

However, she focused on the need to prevent the immigration crisis by no longer causing it, saying

"Donald Trump is right, the Democratic administration has in fact deported about 3 million people, separated hundreds of thousands of families, incarcerated them in these abhorrent, outrageous prisons.

Let me also say that what we really need to do here is ensure that people don’t have to come to these countries as refugees because we’ve been undermining their economy or government."

She added, "We know that Hillary has long supported a fence, Donald supports a wall. Borders do not close unless you also close off trade, you close off rivers… it just doesn’t happen. Borders are porous things."

01:17 GMT
    "We very urgently need common sense gun control, nearly 100 people die every day. Americans agree that we should have background checks, that we should close the gunshow loophole, that we should get semi-automatic weapons off the streets," Stein said on the issue of gun control.

Stein called for an end to the legal immunity for gun manufacturers, saying they should be held as accountable as auto manufacturers are for faulty cars.

20 October 2016
    01:15 GMT
    On what she would look for in appointing a Supreme Court Justice to fill Justice Anthony Scalia's spot, Stein said:

The courts should look like we the people, we need an Asian person on the court and an indigenous person on the court