Options

Police shooting people.....

2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/07/06/484909862/video-of-baton-rouge-mans-fatal-encounter-with-police-sparks-protests

If you're easily upset, don't watch the video. This shit has been going on for ages, but now we get to see it.
www.cluthelee.com

Comments

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,947
    The guy had a gun though right?

I am having a hard time faulting the police here. We can't see whether the guy was reaching for the gun or not.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Not enough info yet. If the dude was not going for a gun, then hopefully the cops get prosecuted. If he was going for a gun, then good for the cops protecting public safety. The reason they were there in the first place is because of a 911 call that the dude had threatened someone with a gun. Once we actually get some facts we can either lynch the cops or Sterling. Until then, it is all just speculation.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    What does he have to do before police can defend themselves, actually kill someone?

Agreed not all the facts are out yet and video is difficult to see, but here is what we do know:
    Police were called because he was threatening a man with a gun (pretty much lost my sympathy at that point).
    He resisted arrest, prompting the struggle. Yes, if you threaten people in public with a gun you will be arrested.
    You can hear police shouting he has a weapon before hearing the shots fired (so yes speculation, but pretty good speculation he was going for a weapon).

And immediately the community comes together to protest the police and was aired multiple times on morning news. I had to actually read a news article to get the few known facts, the morning news spun it like another police brutality story, which only encourages the protestors. Just makes it seem impossible for police to get a fair shake when protecting themselves against anyone of a different color. Just fueling an unnecessary fire.
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    edited July 2016
    innocent until proven guilty unless you're a cop then you're guilty and in the wrong before the facts even come out...its the new fad

now if only the protesters gave two shits about all the killings that go on everyday in their neighborhoods
  • Options
    Good thread OP.
    I believe issues like this have never ever been discussed here on AMT.
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,791
    pjalive21 said:

innocent until proven guilty unless you're a cop then you're guilty and in the wrong before the facts even come out...its the new fad

now if only the protesters gave two shits about all the killings that go on everyday in their neighborhoods

2000 people shot in Chicago so far this year.
    Lovely city I live in.

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    pjalive21 said:

And I agree with you. Its the new fad for Police Officers.
    Guilty until proven innocent.
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855

I am having a hard time faulting the police here. We can't see whether the guy was reaching for the gun or not.

What if its an Open Carry State?
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options

pjalive21 said:

Lovely city I live in.

My wife is watching too much TV and getting worried about the Wrigley trip... all the daily shooting news from Chicago..

• Options
    myoung321 said:

pjalive21 said:

Lovely city I live in.

My wife is watching too much TV and getting worried about the Wrigley trip... all the daily shooting news from Chicago..
    The City of Chicago is a disaster.
    This weekend is The Taste of Chicago, down in Grant Park. Used to be one of my FAVORITE festivals. But I am going to pass this year, because I don't want to deal with the nonsense. Ill just wake up Monday morning, get my cup of coffee, and read all about the arrests that were made. And I guarantee you there will be a shooting or 2 down there.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,514
    edited July 2016
    myoung321 said:

pjalive21 said:

Lovely city I live in.

When they played Wrigley in 2013 I got worried too, because shortly before the trip there were 67 shootings over the July 4th weekend alone, and there were incidents of "swarm attacks" on tourists around the Magnificent Mile, wherein 20 or so punks would swarm women and attack and rob them. But once I got there I saw absolutely no crime at all, and I didn't feel unsafe. You would have to go out of your way to end up in the dangerous areas where all these shootings are. I can't comment about tourist muggings right now though... I just didn't see any, wasn't mugged, and didn't hear from anyone who was during that trip.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776

myoung321 said:

pjalive21 said:

Lovely city I live in.

This weekend is The Taste of Chicago, down in Grant Park. Used to be one of my FAVORITE festivals. But I am going to pass this year, because I don't want to deal with the nonsense. Ill just wake up Monday morning, get my cup of coffee, and read all about the arrests that were made. And I guarantee you there will be a shooting or 2 down there.

oh speedy, stop scaring the out of towners.

95% of the shootings are in places you will never end up as a tourist (or a sane chicago resident). there are petty crimes around the city and downtown area, but no different than visiting any other big city in the country. i am on michigan ave five, six days a week for the past six years and never once felt unsafe or witnessed a theft of any sort.

you will be just fine here wrigley weekend. just like in any city, keep an eye out and enjoy.
  • Options
    the taste of chicago is getting a little too big for it's own good, i will admit. it's a lot of people in one immediate area. police presence just isn't there and now the mayor wants to slash the police budget almost $200M? yikes.
  • Options
    rival. said:

the taste of chicago is getting a little too big for it's own good, i will admit. it's a lot of people in one immediate area. police presence just isn't there and now the mayor wants to slash the police budget almost $200M? yikes.

The city of Chicago is a fucking disaster.

• Options
    Sheesh...

Did I see them subdue the guy... hold him to the ground while cutting him... and one cop shoot him in the head point blank?

I typically argue in defence of police action, but I'm not sure here. I think I'll await passing judgement until more facts are revealed, but this looks like a case where the cops showed considerable restraint where they could have used lethal force... and then used lethal force when it was unnecessary.

Was the guy going for his gun as they had him on the ground? If so... fair enough.

Gross though. Just gross. People... stop f**king with the cops. If you're so inclined to wave a gun around, threaten people with it, and then the cops arrive after being called to your disturbance... the gig is up.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    edited July 2016

rival. said:

there are things i absolutely love about this city, then i hear about a 5 or 6 year old getting hit by a stray bullet on the south side. makes my head hurt.

edit: at 2am, in a gang infested park.
    Post edited by rival. on
  • Options
    rival. said:

rival. said:

there are things i absolutely love about this city, then i hear about a 5 or 6 year old getting hit by a stray bullet on the south side. makes my head hurt.

edit: at 2am, in a park.
    People will go to the Wrigley shows, they will be in safe neighborhoods, they will enjoy downtown, and they will enjoy the Lakefront.

You are correct.
    Let's just hope none of those fine folks gets lost on the red line.
  • Options

myoung321 said:

pjalive21 said:

Lovely city I live in.

Lol. I think all of those "Taste of [whatever big city]" events are pretty much disasters now. The last time I went everyone was just packed in like sardines. It took an hour to get a food sample, and once we got it, you barely had room to raise your arms to get it in your mouth. :lol: I must say, it is very unpleasant to try and enjoy some gourmet food while there is some stranger's face about 6 inches from your own gnawing on some side ribs to your left and another to your right sucking on a chicken wing. :sick:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

myoung321 said:

pjalive21 said:

Lovely city I live in.

Lol. I think all of those "Taste of [whatever big city]" events are pretty much disasters now. The last time I went everyone was just packed in like sardines. It took an hour to get a food sample, and once we got it, you barely had room to raise your arms to get it in your mouth. :lol: I must say, it is very unpleasant to try and enjoy some gourmet food while there is some stranger's face about 6 inches from your own gnawing on some side ribs to your left and another to your right sucking on a chicken wing. :sick:
    For years and years I had to come on this board and hear how the Taste of Chicago is over crowded and too expensive. For years I have been telling people here, you just have to have the right game plan. My wife and I show up on a Saturday, when the doors open at 10am. We put our blanket down in Grant Park, and we basically have the entire park to ourselves. We purchase maybe $50-$60 in food tickets and proceed to make absolute pigs of ourselves. We will enjoy a dozen or so different "taste portions" , which will include Chinese, Polish, Mexican, good old fashioned ribs, pizza, etc. etc. We just stick with the cheaper "taste portions" and sample enough food to feed an army. We will walk back to our blanket, a few times during the day, and enjoy our food. Never do I wait for more than 3 minutes to get anything. Usually we just walk right up to the booth and immediately get our food. We usually stay for 4 hours, and then when everyone is arriving at 2-3pm. and the place is about to turn in to a mad house, my wife and I pick up our blanket, throw away our trash, and we are out of there. We loved it. But things have kind of changed over the years. There seems to be a different element showing up at the taste. And it just doesn't feel as safe as it once did. Maybe I am wrong.
    Post edited by SPEEDY MCCREADY on
  • Options
    Just found my menu from The Taste Of Chicago 2012...Hahahaha

Deep Dish Spinach Pizza
    Thin Crust Cheese Pizza
    Pulled Pork Sandwich
    Ravioli
    Pierogis(5 different varieties)
    Crab Ragoon
    BBQ Rib Tips
    BBQ Hot Link (Some Sausage thing that sucked)
    Corned Beef Sandwich
    Chicago Style Hot Dog
    Fries With Irish Curry
    Marinated Beef On A Stick
    Banh Mi Sandwich (Dont even ask...I have no idea...But it was delicious!!!)
    Fire Grilled Steak Taco
    Corn On The Cob
    Chocolate Covered Strawberry
    Cheesecake
  • Options
    But you're not going because it's nonsense now. :confused:
  • Options
    Wow...sorry to ignite the thread. We were there for a 24 hour layover on the way to Amsterdam in '14.. rented a car drove downtown and had pizza, great time, but that was then and this is now...haha

We're staying near Lake and Michigan. Planned on taking the Red Line to and from Wrigley.

• Options
    and thanks to the locals.. the info is appreciated!

• Options
    edited July 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

But you're not going because it's nonsense now. :confused:

For a dozen years my wife and I went to The Taste and had a ball. The last couple years there have been arrests, and if I remember correctly, last year there was a shooting of some type. I just don't know anymore. I will see how things go the next couple days down there, and I will make a decision for this weekend.

I never had a problem with the pricing and crowds there. But it seems over the last few years the Taste is also attracting a type of crowd that I just don't want to deal with. But again, it may just have been a couple isolated incidents. Who knows, maybe I will get up and go this weekend.
    Post edited by SPEEDY MCCREADY on
  • Options
    Yeah, I wouldn't be going to a festival where gun fights break out either. That's insane.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, I wouldn't be going to a festival where gun fights break out either. That's insane.

But then again, why should I let a few shitheads ruin what has always been a great time for my wife and I. Now I have talked myself into going....Haha

Same game plan.
    In early
    Out early
    Hope I don't get mugged or shot!

Haha
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

But then again, why should I let a few shitheads ruin what has always been a great time for my wife and I. Now I have talked myself into going....Haha

Same game plan.
    In early
    Out early

Haha
    Well enjoy the festival then. :lol:
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,529

PJ_Soul said:

Same game plan.
    In early
    Out early

Haha
    Life is about adventure.
  • Options
    And I am now going to get back to the thread subject.

If I do indeed go to The Taste of Chicago this weekend...
    I am willing to bet $1,000,000 I do not get shot by a police officer.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    myoung321 said:

What if its an Open Carry State?
    Doesn't matter. Open carry state doesn't mean go around and threaten people with a gun then resist arrest for it.
    Although it is difficult to see in the video, you can hear at least one cop yelling "gun! gun!" and after he pulls it out he says "don't move or I swear to god I'll shoot!"
    It doesn't take much movement on the ground for a hand to go to a gun in a pocket or waistband. That story seems to fit what little we have so far. If more video submerges and its clear his hands were visible and restrained that would be completely different, but I doubt that will happen because I doubt that was the situation. As said before, cops are guilty until proven innocent in this modern culture. Even remain guilty after being proven innocent sometimes.