Options

**THE OFFICIAL ST. LOUIS CARDINALS BASEBALL THREAD**

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143

No clinching at Busch - its the little things...

Saving it for Wrigley :wink:
    And that's as it should be mate. You guys are the fucking team to beat this year. Pains me to say it, but hey, you all come around every 10 years or so, so why not! :wink:
    I rooted for the Cards in the WS five years ago against Texas... there's gotta be some good karma in that, no?
    I'm pulling for the Cubbies this year man, so it's all good. I love my team, but as I've stated before I simply love me some good baseball and really love it when the NL Central represents!! Period. And your guys have played some really, really amazing ball this year, plus you know, all the regular reasons to pull for them (i.e. it's been too long, etc,. etc.,).
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    yeah im going to have to admit that im all for breaking "curses" even if they came at the expense of the Cards in 2004...So if the Cubs do it this year I will golf clap, deal with the pandemonium and prepare for 2017
  • Options
    Cards, as usual, making it harder on themselves by losing to the freeeeeaking Giants. I think I dislike the Giants more than the Cubs actually. Dates back to the Barry Bonds days.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Cards, as usual, making it harder on themselves by losing to the freeeeeaking Giants. I think I dislike the Giants more than the Cubs actually. Dates back to the Barry Bonds days.

Lets be honest do you want this Cards team in the playoffs? Outside of Martinez this pitching rotation is awful...its time to reload and part ways with some familiar faces this offseason and open up the wallet and spend some money and gear up for 2017. I love my Cards, but im also a realist

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Probably would've said the same thing in 2011 though. Playoff experience a only gonna help the young guys and those familiar faces will be phased out naturally. Not gonna hurt anything to have the chance at making some playoff noise. I think if they want to shake things up then get a manager that's better with the young guys and in game adjustments. The "never missed the playoffs" argument isn't working anymore
  • Options
    DewieCox said:

Probably would've said the same thing in 2011 though. Playoff experience a only gonna help the young guys and those familiar faces will be phased out naturally. Not gonna hurt anything to have the chance at making some playoff noise. I think if they want to shake things up then get a manager that's better with the young guys and in game adjustments. The "never missed the playoffs" argument isn't working anymore

2011 they were hit with injuries hard and it was a tale of "lets get these guys back and make a run", this team doesn't have that feel or starting pitchers that can even come close to keeping up with the playoff teams involved, but your case about Matheny is valid. Im not a fan of his at all and how he manages his players or the game.

• Options
    pjalive21 said:

Lets be honest do you want this Cards team in the playoffs? Outside of Martinez this pitching rotation is awful...its time to reload and part ways with some familiar faces this offseason and open up the wallet and spend some money and gear up for 2017. I love my Cards, but im also a realist

Would love to see the road version of them make the playoffs. Scrappy as hell, HRs a plenty and solid pitching. I think they can pull off the 2nd WC, and from there I have no expectations. Actually I have not had any expectations ever with this team. Anyone that thinks all Cards fans 'expect' them in the playoffs year to year needs to talk to me.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Still in the mix! Let's get it done guys!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

Still in the mix! Let's get it done guys!

Am I the only one rooting for a 3 team tie breaker :lol:

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,465

yet, I like you......cuz you hate the cubs!

to pjalive21's point above: I feel they same about the Giants....do I really want them to make the playoffs?....if they got in and survived the WC round, they'd play..........the cubs.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    It ain't over yet. On the ropes, but not done yet.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    that was an ugly loss last night...just ugly
  • Options
    There's still a team in St louis?
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options

yeah....they've won a few world series in the past century.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Damn. That grand slam by Diaz and his hugging of Yadi gave me a quivering lip.
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

yeah....they've won a few world series in the past century.
    Thought they would have packed it in with the year they've had.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    The season where they're still in the wild card hunt? That's where they've won their last two World Series, right? As a Wild Card. At least one of '06 or '11.
    I don't see THIS team making a run, but that's the cool thing-you never know.
  • Options

Yep, and just damn glad to have Diaz back in the lineup. Injuries this year were terrible. So was our home play, so was half our rotation. That's baseball for ya!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

Yep, and just damn glad to have Diaz back in the lineup. Injuries this year were terrible. So was our home play, so was half our rotation. That's baseball for ya!
    That and the Dee Gordon homerun gave me goose bumps...talk about divine intervention

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Diaz hitting that slam last night was awesome to see!
  • Options
    I like you guys just fine.....BUT THAT IS BULLSHIT :angry:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    I was watching it live and it was easy to tell in live speed that it was a ground rule double. The angle coming off the bounce and how the angle it took coming back into play off the sign...Z clearly didn't hit the regular wall.
    Crazy. How MLB corrects this is going to be absolutely insane.
  • Options
    No doubt a shitty call. Ump mostly and the LF dropped the ball. Giving the manager a pass, b/c he went looking for blue within the 30 second limit.
  • Options
    yeah that was a terrible non call by the umps, but hey we have been screwed in calls plenty this year and ill take it, but definitely unfortunate
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Man alive. Even if we don't make the playoffs, the birds are giving an emotional goodbye to the season with the Diaz grand slam the other night and the Holliday pinch hit home run tonight. Got my lip quivering again. I'll miss Holliday and not totally sold on the idea of not even entertaining to sign him.
  • Options
    That was a pretty incredible scene. And yeah, maybe he'll take a huge pay cut to finish in StL. Seems doubtful in this day and age, especially since he could go to an AL team and probably cork 30 or so and hit over .250. I've stuck up for Holliday every time some fan mentions a time he hasn't come through in a pivotal moment. My little girl was as pissed as a 9 year old can be about him leaving.

Likes been mentioned before...they're probably gearing up for the 2017/18 offseason to make a splash on free agency. I like where they're heading roster wise, but every time a Chris Carpenter/Holliday/Wainwright leaves the team, Mathenys philosophy will ring a bit more hollow. Can't be too hard on him, with his success, but guys like Grichuknand Wong haven't responded well to it and this year the young guys took a big step in becoming the core of the team.

I've got no expectations of them making a run or even the WC. They'll need to pitch out of their ass to get the staff back in order for that, but they played last night like the pressure was off and it is. Could be a really fun postseason even if they don't make it. Even if they get knocked out, there are 9 other teams to pull for and my #2 team spot is wide open. The Cub fans that I interact with have gotten super annoying after a lot of silence when they hit their funk around the AS break. One had the idiocy to mention that the Cardinals have only won 3 titles in his life(he's around 40). Hopefully the Cub fans around here realize the dumb shit I have to deal with in the day to day and don't take my hatred for them too personally.
  • Options
    Entire season comes down to game #162! Whooo!! Love October baseball!!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Pirates are due....

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11