Options

Greenpeace and GMO

PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
edited July 2016 in A Moving Train
This anti-GMO movement is starving people.,.

107 Nobel Laureates just signed a letter slamming Greenpeace over GMOs
"How many poor people must die before we consider this a 'crime against humanity'?"
http://www.sciencealert.com/107-nobel-laureates-just-signed-a-letter-slamming-greenpeace-about-gmos
Post edited by PJPOWER on

Comments

• Options
    Never trust a group or take anything they say seriously if they have .org
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,709
    GMO's are a short sighted solution with long-term negative ramifications that will harm us and the rest of life more in the long run. Relying on short term solutions generally is not the wisest choice.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:

GMO's are a short sighted solution with long-term negative ramifications that will harm us and the rest of life more in the long run. Relying on short term solutions generally is not the wisest choice.

Not so sure that every type of GMO leads to long term harm. Some are only used to make a crop that is more drought tolerant, using less water, etc. some great things about using certain GMOs, and it appears many scientists agree.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

brianlux said:

Not so sure that every type of GMO leads to long term harm. Some are only used to make a crop that is more drought tolerant, using less water, etc. some great things about using certain GMOs, and it appears many scientists agree.
    I wish us all good luck with that.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJPOWER said:

brianlux said:

This is absolutely true, but there is a huge caveat. GMOs usually come from entities that are interested and invested in maintaining the status quo in agriculture, which is so highly unsustainable it created the need for GMOs in the first place.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    brianlux said:

PJPOWER said:

brianlux said:

I wish us all good luck with that.
    I'm with ya :)
  • Options
    We could argue all day and night here about using or not using GMO's but one thing I think would be difficult to argue against is our right to know. Congress and our friends at Monsanto don't want us to have that choice. Welcome to the new American version of "democracy".

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/07/22/gmos-congress-may-block-states.html

• Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    Just proves Neil Young was right.
  • Options

Just proves Neil Young was right.

Your short precise opinions are great and contribute a lot.
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    edited July 2016
    brianlux said:

We could argue all day and night here about using or not using GMO's but one thing I think would be difficult to argue against is our right to know. Congress and our friends at Monsanto don't want us to have that choice. Welcome to the new American version of "democracy".

If they insist on passing laws enabling them to hide things in our food and us not knowing what's in our food, makes you wonder what else they are currently hiding from us.
  • Options
    Free said:

brianlux said:

If they insist on passing laws enabling them to hide things in our food and us not knowing what's in our food, makes you wonder what else they are currently hiding from us.
    Exactly. And just the idea that they don't want us to know what is in our food... very suspicious!

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    why would people wan to know what is in their food? lol
  • Options
    my2hands said:

Simple answer my2hands: curiosity. Like the time when I was a kid and stirred some Nesquik chocolate into milk to make chocolate milk and felt a lump of cocoa in my mouth and was curious as to what it looked like and pulled it out only to discover it was an earwig.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    From the article I posted above:
    "They have misrepresented [GMOs] risks, benefits, and impacts, and supported the criminal destruction of approved field trials and research projects," the researchers write in their letter. "How many poor people in the world must die before we consider this a 'crime against humanity'?"
    The article goes on to talk about how many Greenpeace supporters have destroyed field trial crops and sabotaging scientific research... It would seem like many of the world's leading scientists are in disagreement with Greenpeace regarding the negative impact of GMOs. It seems to me that Greenpeace is against scientific solutions to starvation and vitamin A deficiency...or maybe they have become a large corrupt corporation with a lot to lose by GMO research...?
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    brianlux said:

my2hands said:

Simple answer my2hands: curiosity. Like the time when I was a kid and stirred some Nesquik chocolate into milk to make chocolate milk and felt a lump of cocoa in my mouth and was curious as to what it looked like and pulled it out only to discover it was an earwig.

Damn it Brian, I am not going to be able to sleep for a week.
  • Options

brianlux said:

my2hands said:

Sorry! I worked in a cannery for a short while when I was young. I won't tell any more horror stories about food here though, promise! Just goes to show how important it is to know what's in our food!

• Options
    Something else to consider when choosing your food...
    http://www.sciencealert.com/eating-only-organic-food-is-a-sham
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

my2hands said:

Sorry! I worked in a cannery for a short while when I was young. I won't tell any more horror stories about food here though, promise! Just goes to show how important it is to know what's in our food!
    That's why I like to hunt and garden as much as possible :). Just got done canning several jars of tomatoes actually, lol
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    PJPOWER said:

brianlux said:

brianlux said:

my2hands said:

That's why I like to hunt and garden as much as possible :). Just got done canning several jars of tomatoes actually, lol
    Yeah, you probably canned some bugs in there with the tomatoes. And who cares? That's just us being squeamish about something that causes us no harm.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    edited October 2016

PJPOWER said:

brianlux said:

brianlux said:

my2hands said:

Yeah, you probably canned some bugs in there with the tomatoes. And who cares? That's just us being squeamish about something that causes us no harm.
    Protein, ha. I, for one, grew up working on my family's ranch and am squeamish about very little these days. Pretty aware and realistic about where my food comes from. Thankfully, a large portion is from hunting and gardening these days. Only time I buy meat from the store is if I want to smoke a rack of ribs or some good sockeye salmon. Otherwise, my parents raise grass fed cattle and we usually buy a half steer from them once a year, get plenty venison during deer season, and usually shoot a hog or two for sausage.
  • Options
    Boxes&BooksBoxes&Books USA Posts: 2,672
    Is Clinton for GMO's or against it? I believe she was publicly against, but in private was backing it. Can't remember - someone had donated big money to her, and then she went against their original agreement ... Maybe more money elsewhere?
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,237
    PJPOWER said:

Interesting article, but the title was misleading. They didn't really say it wasn't better, just that there isn't evidence to prove either way yet. I would hope most people that eat or garden organic are aware of this already, but there are always the sheep....

I think there is a definite positive impact environmentally, but the health effects will vary based on a person's way of living and how they balance their diet.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:

PJPOWER said:

Interesting article, but the title was misleading. They didn't really say it wasn't better, just that there isn't evidence to prove either way yet. I would hope most people that eat or garden organic are aware of this already, but there are always the sheep....

I think there is a definite positive impact environmentally, but the health effects will vary based on a person's way of living and how they balance their diet.
    I think that the take away is that when you buy "organic", it does not always mean what people think it means.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    PJPOWER said:

brianlux said:

And Roundup resistant.
  • Options
    Cancer and Alzheimer's rates are rising and the poisons in the environment are on the increase. It will take millennia for all our human produced pollutants to wash out of the environment and for ecosystems to restore healthy balances.

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    tonifig8 said:

Is Clinton for GMO's or against it? I believe she was publicly against, but in private was backing it. Can't remember - someone had donated big money to her, and then she went against their original agreement ... Maybe more money elsewhere?

It probably depends who she's giving a speech to...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    lukin2006 said:

tonifig8 said:

It probably depends who she's giving a speech to...
    http://sustainablepulse.com/2016/02/06/hillary-clintons-support-for-gmos-confirmed-by-gates-foundation/#.WAgRPslH1OY

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    Interesting article about GMOs written by an organic farmer. The basic premise is that those who oppose GMOs are focusing on the wrong issue; there's no proof that consumption is harmful to health. Rather, the potential harms are related to the other management techniques that tend to go along with them. I have been skeptical of the anti-GMO movement for some time since I've never seen credible evidence of harms to health, but I can agree with this reasoning. Of course, the answer doesn't necessarily need to be no GMOs; it could easily be better management practices where herbicides and the like are not the default.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/brent-preston/gmo-has-no-benefits_b_13203826.html
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    great example of why someone like trump gets elected ...

http://www.gmwatch.org/news/latest-news/17081-107-nobel-laureate-attack-on-greenpeace-traced-back-to-biotech-pr-operators
    http://www.greenpeace.org/international/en/press/releases/2016/Nobel-laureates-sign-letter-on-Greenpeace-Golden-rice-position---reactive-statement/

it doesn't take a phd to realize that agri-food industry and environmental exploitation are the reasons why we can't feed some people ... monsanto and the industrialized food system is absolutely destroying our food system ... objective studies are available for everyone to see that traditional / organic farming delivers far more yield than industrialized farms plus they actually deliver real food ... look at objective studies on the nutritional value of organic vs. non ... you can taste it for yourself ...

lastly - the primary position of anti-gmo people is that there are no long term health studies on gmo and that ultimately, we ask that foods simply be labeled so as consumers we can make that choice ...
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617

Interesting article about GMOs written by an organic farmer. The basic premise is that those who oppose GMOs are focusing on the wrong issue; there's no proof that consumption is harmful to health. Rather, the potential harms are related to the other management techniques that tend to go along with them. I have been skeptical of the anti-GMO movement for some time since I've never seen credible evidence of harms to health, but I can agree with this reasoning. Of course, the answer doesn't necessarily need to be no GMOs; it could easily be better management practices where herbicides and the like are not the default.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/brent-preston/gmo-has-no-benefits_b_13203826.html

Agri-business and FDA: whatever doesn't kill you instantly is generally safe.
    Ex. Glyphosate