Options

Should the US institute a ban on assault weapons.

Comments

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited June 2016
    other

mcgruff10 said:

Michael Moore himself highlighted how people in canada own guns and don't tend to shoot each other or go into bars and open fire. I can't understand someone's interest in "assault" rifles, but I also can't understand anyone's desire to watch nascar or beauty pageants. so I won't judge that part. but this shit about being on an FBI watch list and being able to buy a gun is atrocious.

it's a slipper slope bud. While I agree that no one on an fbi watch list should buy a gun you have due process in this country.
    Gawd I hate those slipper slopes.

In Canada, we have banned slipper slopes because American visitors kept sliding down them while trying to take selfies with mooses.
    Lol, this made me gut laugh. So true though! Not to derail, but it makes me want to face palm every time I see a news article about tourists getting attacked by buffalo/moose/elk in Yellowstone because they tried to get a close up picture of a wild animal with their cell phone. Banning cell phone cameras, in opposition to my previous prohibition argument, might actually make life better for everyone, haha :)
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    No

mcgruff10 said:

Michael Moore himself highlighted how people in canada own guns and don't tend to shoot each other or go into bars and open fire. I can't understand someone's interest in "assault" rifles, but I also can't understand anyone's desire to watch nascar or beauty pageants. so I won't judge that part. but this shit about being on an FBI watch list and being able to buy a gun is atrocious.

it's a slipper slope bud. While I agree that no one on an fbi watch list should buy a gun you have due process in this country.

In Canada, we have banned slipper slopes because American visitors kept sliding down them while trying to take selfies with mooses.
    that' s funny as hell!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Yes

mcgruff10 said:

I thought the plural of moose was moose. or is it meese?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Yes

mcgruff10 said:

Just keeping things simple for Scruffy.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    No

mcgruff10 said:

Just keeping things simple for Scruffy.
    I do thank you for that!
  • Options
    Yes
    PJPOWER said:

mcgruff10 said:

Lol, this made me gut laugh. So true though! Not to derail, but it makes me want to face palm every time I see a news article about tourists getting attacked by buffalo/moose/elk in Yellowstone because they tried to get a close up picture of a wild animal with their cell phone. Banning cell phone cameras, in opposition to my previous prohibition argument, might actually make life better for everyone, haha :)
    It truly is incredible how people disrespect nature all the time. Have you ever seen that video of the deer beating the shit out of that guy who sprayed deer scent all over himself? Freaking hilarious.
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited June 2016
    other

PJPOWER said:

mcgruff10 said:

It truly is incredible how people disrespect nature all the time. Have you ever seen that video of the deer beating the shit out of that guy who sprayed deer scent all over himself? Freaking hilarious.
    Yeah, saw one the other day of a lady getting knocked back about 20 feet after an elk charges her because she was trying to get the perfect picture with her phone. We should start a thread devoted to videos of people acting stupid and getting their asses handed to them by nature.
  • Options
    Yes
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

mcgruff10 said:

Yeah, saw one the other day of a lady getting knocked back about 20 feet after an elk charges her because she was trying to get the perfect picture with her phone. We should start a thread devoted to videos of people acting stupid and getting their asses handed to them by nature.
    wasn't there a darwin award thread?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993

I would agree anyone on a watch list shouldn't buy a gun, but I imagine its more complicated than that. It would be difficult to deny someone's constitutional right without some sort of due process. Most if not nearly all on the watch list haven't been charged with anything, and I imagine that complicates the process.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited June 2016
    Yes
    But it's not a constitutional right to just buy guns without any restrictions. There isn't any point to due process if the due process comes after the purchase. And as far as I can tell, the Patriot Act makes it perfectly legal for people on a watch list to be restricted from buying firearms. It's legal to prevent someone on a watch list from getting on a plane, and most people, especially Republicans, seems pretty comfortable with that... yet when it comes to buying guns they seem to change their tune. It's pretty weird.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Yes
    enough about this bullshit constitutional rights nonsense. you have the right to bear arms. you do not have the right to bear arms immediately and if you constitute a danger to your fell human being around you.

it's the law, not the freaking bible. it can be changed, laws can be repealed or ammended. it's the wonts of the lawmakers of the time. society evolves, and so should the laws that govern it.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    Yes
    Haha, if it were treated the same as the Bible they could REALLY play fast and loose with what Constitutional rights are!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,861
    edited June 2016
    Here is a little gun control humor that I think everybody could enjoy, regardless of where you stand on the issue. Funny shit.

https://youtu.be/0rR9IaXH1M0
    https://youtu.be/a9UFyNy-rw4
    Post edited by Ray J. T. on
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    Yes
    EM194007 said:

PJ_Soul said:

EM194007 said:

PJ_Soul said:

When there is a request for people to turn in weapons it is usually accompanied by a cash compensation plan so that people actually do it.

You think they'll give you market value? Ya right. Who will turn in their $1,500 + rifle for peanuts?
    I didn't say that. I just said that there is usually cash back plan. How much cash depends on the particular program. A lot of the time the combination of wanting to abide by the law and getting some cash in their pockets acts as pretty decent motivation for a lot of people to turn in their illegal weapons even if they aren't getting market value.
    It isn't going to matter, because they won't be illegal anytime soon, sorry to bust your bubble on that fantasy.

Honestly, why does it matter to you anyway? Your Canadian correct? Us in the US don't try to tell you Canadian's how your country should be ran. So, why are you Canadian's trying to tell us how to run our country? 95% of the people posting wanting to ban said gun in this post are from Canada.
    I think you should check those numbers again.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    PJ_Soul said:

But it's not a constitutional right to just buy guns without any restrictions. There isn't any point to due process if the due process comes after the purchase. And as far as I can tell, the Patriot Act makes it perfectly legal for people on a watch list to be restricted from buying firearms. It's legal to prevent someone on a watch list from getting on a plane, and most people, especially Republicans, seems pretty comfortable with that... yet when it comes to buying guns they seem to change their tune. It's pretty weird.

I didn't say I wouldn't support that, but only that I can see that as a hurdle. Maybe not everyone agrees, but I can easily see someone who has not done anything illegal, who hasn't been diagnosed with a mental disorder and is denied sale to a gun creating an issue over the situation.
    If all it takes is a connection to a known terrorist to restrict access, then Obama would be denied access to guns since he remains friends with Bill Ayres.
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    No
    it seems most of you are only concerned with what you believe to be "right" with no regards to responsible gun owners who out number the criminals.

Godfather.
  • Options
    Yes

it seems most of you are only concerned with what you believe to be "right" with no regards to responsible gun owners who out number the criminals.

Godfather.

kinda like having no regard to responsible peace loving muslims who outnumber the terrorists.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Yes

Godfather.

replace the word "muslim" and "terrorist" words in your statement in the terrorist thread with the word "gun" and "mass shooting" . let's try it! it's fun!

it only means I would like my country a little bit safer and not allowing GUNS into our country is a solid plan in my mind until we straighten this MASS SHOOTING thing out and if that scares some of the people on here then oh well, my opinion is as valid as anybody's
    on the train.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Yes

Godfather.

replace the word "muslim" and "terrorist" words in your statement in the terrorist thread with the word "gun" and "mass shooting" . let's try it! it's fun!

it only means I would like my country a little bit safer and not allowing GUNS into our country is a solid plan in my mind until we straighten this MASS SHOOTING thing out and if that scares some of the people on here then oh well, my opinion is as valid as anybody's
    on the train.
    Good one.
  • Options
    pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
    edited June 2016
    Yes
    I have just been watching C-Span via periscope because the main cameras and microphones are shut down. Those Democrats are amazing for taking this all-night stand against assault weapons--no fly, no buy....background checks....seems pretty common sense to me after so many mass shootings. Sometimes it honestly seems like the Republicans have been taken over like Invasion of the Body Snatchers....but then I saw that thread on here about how much the NRA has paid these Congressman Republicans to avoid anything beneficial and productive from getting accomplished this election year. What a country.
    Post edited by pickupyourwill on
  • Options
    No
    lots of self indulgences on this forum.

Godfather.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,192
    Yes
    the Republicans are fucking assholes. these mother fuckers just refuse to do their job. won't vote on Supreme Court nominee, won't vote on gun control. they are stealing fucking money from every American by not doing their fucking jobs.

so much for government for the people by the people
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,690
    other
    really what that means is, that Ryan sent lawmakers home EARLY by a week because he's a pussy that wont even allow an up or down vote. This is what they meant by "good governance" they wont do their fucking jobs to even vote a bill.

have the debate, compromise isnt a bad thing. The status quo shouldnt be allowed to remain.

allow the funding for the research. craft a bill from that research. look for ways to stem the flow of guns into the black market. listen to tbe majority of the country.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    No
    so DANG ! another gun law shot down......pun intended.

maybe the way the bill is written has something to do with it ? stricter back ground checks are not a problem for me but this makes me wonder if the dem's are wording it for future attacks on gun rights.....who knows ?

Godfather.
  • Options
    Yes

lots of self indulgences on this forum.

Godfather.

you could always respond.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    No
    It s amazing how democrats were against the patriot act because it took away some of our constitutional right but in regard to gun control they are ok with taking away your right to due process. And then you can flip it around for the republicans. God I d love a third party!!!
  • Options
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:

It s amazing how democrats were against the patriot act because it took away some of our constitutional right but in regard to gun control they are ok with taking away your right to due process. And then you can flip it around for the republicans. God I d love a third party!!!

but it's not taking away your constitutional right. no one is taking away guns here.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    No

mcgruff10 said:

but it's not taking away your constitutional right. no one is taking away guns here.
    it's taking away your fifth amendment right of due process. guilty until proven innocent.
  • Options
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

it's taking away your fifth amendment right of due process. guilty until proven innocent.
    that's a stretch.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD