Options

Should the US institute a ban on assault weapons.

Comments

• Options
    EM194007EM194007 Posts: 2,827
    edited June 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

EM194007 said:

PJ_Soul said:

When there is a request for people to turn in weapons it is usually accompanied by a cash compensation plan so that people actually do it.

You think they'll give you market value? Ya right. Who will turn in their $1,500 + rifle for peanuts?
    I didn't say that. I just said that there is usually cash back plan. How much cash depends on the particular program. A lot of the time the combination of wanting to abide by the law and getting some cash in their pockets acts as pretty decent motivation for a lot of people to turn in their illegal weapons even if they aren't getting market value.
    It isn't going to matter, because they won't be illegal anytime soon, sorry to bust your bubble on that fantasy.

Honestly, why does it matter to you anyway? Your Canadian correct? Us in the US don't try to tell you Canadian's how your country should be ran. So, why are you Canadian's trying to tell us how to run our country? 95% of the people posting wanting to ban said gun in this post are from Canada.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534
    edited June 2016
    Yes
    EM194007 said:

PJ_Soul said:

EM194007 said:

PJ_Soul said:

When there is a request for people to turn in weapons it is usually accompanied by a cash compensation plan so that people actually do it.

You think they'll give you market value? Ya right. Who will turn in their $1,500 + rifle for peanuts?
    I didn't say that. I just said that there is usually cash back plan. How much cash depends on the particular program. A lot of the time the combination of wanting to abide by the law and getting some cash in their pockets acts as pretty decent motivation for a lot of people to turn in their illegal weapons even if they aren't getting market value.
    It isn't going to matter, because they won't be illegal anytime soon, sorry to bust your bubble on that fantasy.

Honestly, why does it matter to you anyway? Your Canadian correct? Us in the US don't try to tell you Canadian's how your country should be ran. So, why are you Canadian's trying to tell us how to run our country? 95% of the people posting wanting to ban said gun in this post are from Canada.
    I don't have a fantasy or a bubble. I was just saying. I'm not debating here. I'm just talking about possibilities.
    But of COURSE I care about this, being in Canada. Most of the guns in Canada come from the US. There is gun smuggling happening across the border. Also, Canada gets a lot of its culture from the US, and this gun culture in the States isn't good for my country either. It is slowly bleeding over. What happens in American has a big impact on Canada generally. That's why we pay so much attention to US politics. Also, I fucking care when a bunch of Americans or people of any other nation are gunned down because they are human beings, and it all seems so preventable. Giving a shit about people being murdered doesn't stop where there is a line drawn on a map. Also, this is also about terrorism and how to deal with it, and that is an INTERNATIONAL problem. Furthermore, who in the fuck is telling you how to run your country? We're all just offering opinions, not making demands. Get a grip. Finally, 95% of people posting who said assault rifles should be banned are Canadian? Check your math buddy.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    EM194007EM194007 Posts: 2,827
    PJ_Soul said:

EM194007 said:

PJ_Soul said:

EM194007 said:

PJ_Soul said:

I don't have a fantasy or a bubble. I was just saying. I'm not debating here. I'm just talking about possibilities.
    But of COURSE I care about this, being in Canada. Most of the guns in Canada come from the US. There is gun smuggling happening across the border. Also, Canada gets a lot of its culture from the US, and this gun culture in the States isn't good for my country either. It is slowly bleeding over. What happens in American has a big impact on Canada generally. That's why we pay so much attention to US politics. Also, I fucking care when a bunch of Americans or people of any other nation are gunned down because they are human beings, and it all seems so preventable. Giving a shit about people being murdered doesn't stop where there is a line drawn on a map. Also, this is also about terrorism and how to deal with it, and that is an INTERNATIONAL problem. Furthermore, who in the fuck is telling you how to run your country? We're all just offering opinions, not making demands. Get a grip. Finally, 95% of people posting who said assault rifles should be banned are Canadian? Check your math buddy.
    :not_listening:
  • Options
    Yes
    EM194007 said:

PJ_Soul said:

EM194007 said:

PJ_Soul said:

EM194007 said:

PJ_Soul said:

:not_listening:
    What an intelligent response!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    Yes
    EM194007 said:

PJ_Soul said:

EM194007 said:

PJ_Soul said:

I have relatives and friends in the states. I'd prefer them not get mowed down. so yeah, I'd say "us canadians" have a vested interest.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Yes
    EM194007 said:

PJ_Soul said:

EM194007 said:

PJ_Soul said:

We care.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    edited June 2016
    Yes
    Got a gun, 'fact I got two
    That's okay, man 'cuz I love God
    Glorified version of a pellet gun
    Feels so manly when armed

Glorified version of a

Double think, dumb is strength
    Never shot at a living thing
    Feels so manly when armed

Glorified version of a
    Glorified version of a

Always keep it loaded
    Always keep it loaded
    Always keep it loaded

Life comes, I can feel your heart
    Life comes, I can feel your heart through your neck
    Life comes, I can feel your heart through your neck
    Like some, I can steal your heart form your neck
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    Yes

EM194007 said:

PJ_Soul said:

EM194007 said:

PJ_Soul said:

I have relatives and friends in the states. I'd prefer them not get mowed down. so yeah, I'd say "us canadians" have a vested interest.
    Yeah really. I also have friends in the US.
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited June 2016
    other
    PJ_Soul said:

EM194007 said:

PJ_Soul said:

EM194007 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Sucks people are smuggling things into your country. Maybe if Canadians relaxed their laws a bit it would cut down on the profit opportunities, thefts, violence that is associated with prohibition of items...just saying. Maybe if you guys built a wall...lol
  • Options
    Yes
    PJPOWER said:

PJ_Soul said:

EM194007 said:

PJ_Soul said:

EM194007 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Sucks people are smuggling things into your country. Maybe if Canadians relaxed their laws a bit it would cut down on the profit opportunities, thefts, violence that is associated with prohibition of items...just saying. Maybe if you guys built a wall...lol
    A wall you say? Now there's an idea.... image
  • Options
    front spacerfront spacer Earth Posts: 3,246
    Yes
    "Assault" weapons by their very name and definition should not be available!

Say what you will about hunting or guns for self-defense, but automatic and semi-automatic weapons is at least a place to start in creating additional laws.
    Indy - 08.17.98
    Indy - 08.18.00
    Indy - 06.22.03
    Indy - 05.07.10
    EV StL - 07.01.11
    Alpine Valley - 09.03.11, 09.04.11 (PJ20)
    ATL - 09.22.12 (Music Midtown Festival)
    EV Jax - 11.24.12
    Chicago - 07.19.13
    Pittsburgh - 10.11.13
    Moline - 10.17.14 (The No Code Show)
    Milwaukee - 10.20.14 (The Yield Show)
    FtL - 04.08.16
    Miami - 04.09.16
    Tampa - 04.11.16
    Lexington - 04.26.16
    Chicago - 08.20.16, 08.22.16
    Chicago - 08.18.18, 08.20.18
    Boston - 09.02.18, 09.04.18
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    other

Say what you will about hunting or guns for self-defense, but automatic and semi-automatic weapons is at least a place to start in creating additional laws.

By the original posters definition, "assault weapon" is a term some use to describe some guns with certain features. It is neither a definition nor a name. It is a "Term" that I believe has become politicized.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,877
    No

automatic weapons are already illegal in the usa.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:

Apparently they are legal. They are just highly regulated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-F13WmV1NM
  • Options
    No
    PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

very true and expensive as hell. Not to many people are going to drop 30K on a gun.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    PJPOWER said:

PJ_Soul said:

EM194007 said:

PJ_Soul said:

EM194007 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Fked up but typical pro gun position. "Fk you I want guns, deal with it."

So you supported infesting this country with violence and it's spilling over to Canada and now blaming Canadians and their laws?!?!?!?!? Fkn humans.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    PJPOWER said:

By the original posters definition, "assault weapon" is a term some use to describe some guns with certain features. It is neither a definition nor a name. It is a "Term" that I believe has become politicized.
    Arguing semantics? We all know what an assault weapon is.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    other
    callen said:

PJPOWER said:

Evidently not...seems as if most around here do not even know the difference between automatic and semi-automatic rifles. Everyone seems to have a different opinion as to what features turn a gun into an "assault weapon". I really just think that the energy put into trying to ban things could be way more productive elsewhere. All of the billions of dollars spent on this war against guns have resulted in almost no change, much like the war on drugs. I've offered several logical solutions in another thread and they got all but ignored... So go on, keep wasting time and money while fixing nothing.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    other
    callen said:

PJPOWER said:

PJ_Soul said:

EM194007 said:

PJ_Soul said:

EM194007 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Fked up but typical pro gun position. "Fk you I want guns, deal with it."

So you supported infesting this country with violence and it's spilling over to Canada and now blaming Canadians and their laws?!?!?!?!? Fkn humans.
    What an intellectual response... Who exactly are you quoting, btw, because I sure as hell did not say that.
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    No
    callen said:

PJPOWER said:

assault is an action, not an object right ?

Godfather.

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,764
    edited June 2016
    other

callen said:

PJPOWER said:

assault is an action, not an object right ?

Godfather.

can also be an noun GF. then again with your grammar here , its clear english isnt your strong suit.

definition of assault
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/assault

definition of assault rifle
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/assault rifle
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

very true and expensive as hell. Not to many people are going to drop 30K on a gun.
    that's what happens as well when you make something illegal (drugs exclude). the price increases exponentially, narrowing the field immensely for who can afford to get one.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    other

mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

that's what happens as well when you make something illegal (drugs exclude). the price increases exponentially, narrowing the field immensely for who can afford to get one.
    Or you create a black market where dangerous people exchange them with other dangerous people. Or they come up with technologies to sidestep the laws... Prohibition in general leads to a lot of other problems. That has been exemplified time after time. I'm not sure there is a perfect solution to some of these problems that we are having, but I do feel like the magnifying glass keeps getting pointed in the wrong places.
  • Options
    Yes
    PJPOWER said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

Or you create a black market where dangerous people exchange them with other dangerous people. Or they come up with technologies to sidestep the laws... Prohibition in general leads to a lot of other problems. That has been exemplified time after time. I'm not sure there is a perfect solution to some of these problems that we are having, but I do feel like the magnifying glass keeps getting pointed in the wrong places.
    yes, you do create a black market. as awful as this sounds, drug cartels aren't the ones going around shooting up schools. they shoot each other. kinda like gangs in my city. very very miniscule amount of innocent lives have been affected by them offing each other.

yes, it is a very complex problem with many different causes. i don't believe it's just a gun problem. I don't believe it's just a mental health problem. I don't believe it's just a poverty problem. the US is the perfect storm, unfortunately.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Yes
    Michael Moore himself highlighted how people in canada own guns and don't tend to shoot each other or go into bars and open fire. I can't understand someone's interest in "assault" rifles, but I also can't understand anyone's desire to watch nascar or beauty pageants. so I won't judge that part. but this shit about being on an FBI watch list and being able to buy a gun is atrocious.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    No

Michael Moore himself highlighted how people in canada own guns and don't tend to shoot each other or go into bars and open fire. I can't understand someone's interest in "assault" rifles, but I also can't understand anyone's desire to watch nascar or beauty pageants. so I won't judge that part. but this shit about being on an FBI watch list and being able to buy a gun is atrocious.

it's a slipper slope bud. While I agree that no one on an fbi watch list should buy a gun you have due process in this country.
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    No

I agree, but what is to stop the government from putting you on a watch list ?
    like say for instance I am a gun collector and own several guns of many types and the police come to my home for any reason and find that I own a lot of guns and report it to the fed's ? think they might put me on a watch list ? even though I have no criminal record ?
    I agree with you 100% but I think that a lot of gun owners see the making of a loop hole in the back ground check laws.

Godfather.

• Options
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:

it's a slipper slope bud. While I agree that no one on an fbi watch list should buy a gun you have due process in this country.
    Gawd I hate those slipper slopes.

In Canada, we have banned slipper slopes because American visitors kept sliding down them while trying to take selfies with mooses.
  • Options
    Yes

PJPOWER said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

yes, you do create a black market. as awful as this sounds, drug cartels aren't the ones going around shooting up schools. they shoot each other. kinda like gangs in my city. very very miniscule amount of innocent lives have been affected by them offing each other.

yes, it is a very complex problem with many different causes. i don't believe it's just a gun problem. I don't believe it's just a mental health problem. I don't believe it's just a poverty problem. the US is the perfect storm, unfortunately.
    I like your first passage. I don't give a shit about some gangster having an assault rifle preparing himself against other gangs. I care about the f**king ticking time bomb having the assault rifle he won from the Denny's claw machine, stroking himself, salivating, and preparing for mass murder at the mall where my kid is having a piece of pizza with her friends.