Options

Should the US institute a ban on assault weapons.

Comments

• Options
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mickeyrat said:

I want the study allowed and funded that shows how weapons get to the black market. then based on those findings , enact the legislation that targets that.

waiting period , perhaps, on models based on military weaponery. and/or legislation restricting some of the mods available and magazine capacities.

I think magazine capacity is key. No need for a damn 30 round mag, 15 is plenty.
    How about 6?

If you can't shoot your wild pig with 6.. then you shouldn't be shooting anything.
    no six is just plain dumb. lots and lots of guns would be banned. (including my garand which one day you'll me shooting). i'm liking 15 for some reason. (maybe because that's the law i'm used to here in new jersey)
    pjpower, I guess we could grandfather all those 30 round mags? I was just trying to find some middle ground between ban and the status quo. here in nj our asshat legislators have all these new types of gun control bills ready for next week. first up is 15 to 10 round mags. I hate this state.
    Lol.

Well call me plain dumb then.

I know it inconveniences you at the range, but think of the inconvenience the next mass shooter might experience.

Outside of inconvenience... what is the reason why six is just plain dumb?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,001
    The M1 Garand doesn't use a detachable magazine, it uses stripper clips right? SO if you only alloy 6 round mags, it wouldn't affect the Garand.
    The logic being you can reload a detachable mag much faster than a fixed mag, so there is not as big of a need to limit a fixed mag to something like only 6 rounds.
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    I'm a liberal and I say no. Anything beyond a simple background check should never be allowed. Mental health, not guns, are the problem.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,876
    No

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mickeyrat said:

I want the study allowed and funded that shows how weapons get to the black market. then based on those findings , enact the legislation that targets that.

waiting period , perhaps, on models based on military weaponery. and/or legislation restricting some of the mods available and magazine capacities.

I think magazine capacity is key. No need for a damn 30 round mag, 15 is plenty.
    How about 6?

If you can't shoot your wild pig with 6.. then you shouldn't be shooting anything.
    no six is just plain dumb. lots and lots of guns would be banned. (including my garand which one day you'll me shooting). i'm liking 15 for some reason. (maybe because that's the law i'm used to here in new jersey)
    pjpower, I guess we could grandfather all those 30 round mags? I was just trying to find some middle ground between ban and the status quo. here in nj our asshat legislators have all these new types of gun control bills ready for next week. first up is 15 to 10 round mags. I hate this state.
    Lol.

I know it inconveniences you at the range, but think of the inconvenience the next mass shooter might experience.

dumb ass. ;)
    I actually think the federal courts said ten is the lowest you can go. don't quote me on that but it has to do with a ruling in regard to the "safe act" of new york state.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    No
    mace1229 said:

The M1 Garand doesn't use a detachable magazine, it uses stripper clips right? SO if you only alloy 6 round mags, it wouldn't affect the Garand.
    The logic being you can reload a detachable mag much faster than a fixed mag, so there is not as big of a need to limit a fixed mag to something like only 6 rounds.

enbloc clip...an sks would be a stripper clip. but I understand what you are saying.
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    Yes
    PJPOWER said:

mcgruff10 said:

mickeyrat said:

So what are we going to do afterwards? I think we can both agree that a ban will not make them go away, right? How would you propose ensuring that they are no longer in the hands of people? I'm pretty sure that at this point there are enough of them floating around out there to last for centuries. So someone gets into their grandfather's closet and goes on a mass killing spree...what do we ban now? I sure hope that the anti-gun crowd does not support door to door confiscation, because that would definitely not end well. What other programs do we put in place that would make a real difference once they get "banned".
    I think you can make them go away. Once they're banned, anyone that owns one should have to turn it in.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    Yes

I'm a liberal and I say no. Anything beyond a simple background check should never be allowed. Mental health, not guns, are the problem.

Yeah, and what you're saying is that those with mental health problems that lead to violence (let's remember that most mentally ill people are not violent) should continue to be able to buy guns, since a simple background check isn't going to stop them from doing so.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mickeyrat said:

How about 6?

Lol.

dumb ass. ;)
    I actually think the federal courts said ten is the lowest you can go. don't quote me on that but it has to do with a ruling in regard to the "safe act" of new york state.
    I guess 10 people murdered in under a minute is better than dozens.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited June 2016
    other

PJPOWER said:

mcgruff10 said:

mickeyrat said:

So what are we going to do afterwards? I think we can both agree that a ban will not make them go away, right? How would you propose ensuring that they are no longer in the hands of people? I'm pretty sure that at this point there are enough of them floating around out there to last for centuries. So someone gets into their grandfather's closet and goes on a mass killing spree...what do we ban now? I sure hope that the anti-gun crowd does not support door to door confiscation, because that would definitely not end well. What other programs do we put in place that would make a real difference once they get "banned".
    I think you can make them go away. Once they're banned, anyone that owns one should have to turn it in.
    Zero way of that actually happening. How are you going to make people turn them in? How are you ever going to know who has them without door to door raids resulting in chaos? Do you favor door to door raids? If so, then let me know now so that I can disregard any of your future opinions.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,756
    other
    PJPOWER said:

mcgruff10 said:

mickeyrat said:

Please note ,my response about this had nothing on banning any specific or type of weapon per se, but rather targeted the black market. I am not foolish enough to believe we will prevent all or even most of these horrific tragedies. But would be satisfied to severley reduce the number of guns on the streets. Because after all , isnt that where most of the gun violence resides? In the poorer neighborhoods. I want to eliminate the nonreporting of second sales or resales in my state. My belief if all sales had to be reported and logged as to trace a weapon later used in.a crime back to a seller we can greatly reduce the black market availablility.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    other
    How about free gun safes for everyone that owns a firearm :). That's something I could get behind! The Bernie supporters should love that solution.
  • Options
    Yes
    PJPOWER said:

How about free gun safes for everyone that owns a firearm :). That's something I could get behind! The Bernie supporters should love that solution.

Why's that?
    FYI, Bernie supporters (and Bernie) don't think shit is free.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

mcgruff10 said:

mickeyrat said:

Zero way of that actually happening. How are you going to make people turn them in? How are you ever going to know who has them without door to door raids resulting in chaos? Do you favor door to door raids? If so, then let me know now so that I can disregard any of your future opinions.
    I see little chance of them being banned completely. Also owners who just spent $1000 + on their new rifle won't willingly turn it in. if they did get banned they would most likely be grandfathered in, meaning you can keep yours, but can't buy or sell or transfer ownership of any. Which would take about 60 or 70 years for them to be officially be illegal, the time it takes for anyone owning one now to turn old and die. In the mean time they could require any assault rifle to be registered, to make sure it isn't illegally sold to someone and just claim they've had it for 20 years. Many wont register it of course, but then just treat it like owning an illegal handgun that isn't registered (since all handguns are registered when purchased, at least in my state, and possession of an unregistered hand gun is a crime, maybe even a felony?).
    But then again, someone who doesn't mind murdering 49 people probably wont be change his mind because now the assault rifle Is illegal too.
  • Options
    Yes
    When there is a request for people to turn in weapons it is usually accompanied by a cash compensation plan so that people actually do it.
  • Options
    Yes
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

mcgruff10 said:

mickeyrat said:

I didn't say by way of door to door raids. Obviously you can't force people to give their stuff to the government. There could be programs set up that allows the government to "pay" you to turn in a banned assault weapon.

I'm well aware that these guns, even if banned, will still be out there. You just have to hope that they don't end up on the hands of someone that wants to kill a lot of people.
  • Options
    EM194007EM194007 Posts: 2,827
    PJ_Soul said:

When there is a request for people to turn in weapons it is usually accompanied by a cash compensation plan so that people actually do it.

You think they'll give you market value? Ya right. Who will turn in their $1,500 + rifle for peanuts?
  • Options

I didn't say by way of door to door raids. Obviously you can't force people to give their stuff to the government. There could be programs set up that allows the government to "pay" you to turn in a banned assault weapon.

I'm well aware that these guns, even if banned, will still be out there. You just have to hope that they don't end up on the hands of someone that wants to kill a lot of people.

Why stop at semi automatic rifles? Did the Virginia Tech shooting that killed 32 people and wounded 17 involve one of those scary black semi automatic rifles? NO!!!! The POS used a .22-caliber Walther P22 handgun and a 9 mm Glock 19 handgun.

If someone wants to carry out a terror act, or whatever you want to call it, mass murder, etc. They'll do it by any means possible. And there is a lot of ways it can be done without a gun. It isn't the guns people. When was the last time a gun picked it's self up and killed someone?
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    EM194007 said:

Why stop at semi automatic rifles? Did the Virginia Tech shooting that killed 32 people and wounded 17 involve one of those scary black semi automatic rifles? NO!!!! The POS used a .22-caliber Walther P22 handgun and a 9 mm Glock 19 handgun.

If someone wants to carry out a terror act, or whatever you want to call it, mass murder, etc. They'll do it by any means possible. And there is a lot of ways it can be done without a gun. It isn't the guns people. When was the last time a gun picked it's self up and killed someone?
    Kind of odd that you would say that there are a lot of ways that people can commit mass murder without guns, while using a gun example. Realistically there are few ways to commit mass killings without firearms. It's really difficult to get a lot of people to stand still while you knife them, for example. Poison? Possible, but pretty fiddly. But the important thing to remember is that most of the individuals who decide to commit these acts want to do it with guns. They want that shoot-em-up experience they fantasize about. If they couldn't access the guns to do it, it would be far less likely that they would choose another method.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

EM194007 said:

Kind of odd that you would say that there are a lot of ways that people can commit mass murder without guns, while using a gun example. Realistically there are few ways to commit mass killings without firearms. It's really difficult to get a lot of people to stand still while you knife them, for example. Poison? Possible, but pretty fiddly. But the important thing to remember is that most of the individuals who decide to commit these acts want to do it with guns. They want that shoot-em-up experience they fantasize about. If they couldn't access the guns to do it, it would be far less likely that they would choose another method.
    I was referring to the VT shooting to banning semi automatic rifles "only". I won't go into the different ways someone could carry out horrific acts on the the internet. Look it up for yourself. There are a lot of mass killings done without guns around the world. It isn't as hard as you would think. Take all the guns, the crazy MF'ers will still find a way to carry out a act if they want.
  • Options
    Yes
    EM194007 said:

Why stop at assault rifles is a weak argument. The point is is its a start. That's what we need. A starting point.
  • Options
    No
    PJ_Soul said:

Well we have that little thing called the fifth amendment here in the USA
  • Options

Why stop at assault rifles is a weak argument. The point is is its a start. That's what we need. A starting point.

No it isn't at all. If you start with one, then your giving the Government an inch, then they'll take a mile. People need to wake up before your rights are taken from you. And not just only your gun rights!!
  • Options
    Yes
    EM194007 said:

No it isn't at all. If you start with one, then your giving the Government an inch, then they'll take a mile. People need to wake up before your rights are taken from you. And not just only your gun rights!!
    Given all that followed gun legislation in other developed countries... I can see why you should express this concern.

Yes. Sarcasm.

Spin the argument: why limit to assault rifles? Why have a line at all? If you think there should be a line somewhere (lest bazookas find themselves in the hands of the wrong guy)... do you think you got it just right? Or do you think some tweaking might be in order?

35,000 deaths by gun per year as well as the biannual mass murder events of the grand variety lead me to think something needs to happen other than status quo.
  • Options
    Yes
    EM194007 said:

I don't remember them taking a mile during the last assault weapons ban.
  • Options
    No

EM194007 said:

I don't remember them taking a mile during the last assault weapons ban.
    That was the mile!
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,756
    other
    It IS a little ironic then that the paragon of conservattive republican virtue had a stance that was opposite of most other conservatives. As I recall NRA was onboard with the previous expirable ban, werent they? Otherwise how did it pass a GOP led house?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

I agree, and since this thread is going in circles I will assert my 5th amendment right and remain silent.
  • Options
    Yes
    mace1229 said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

I agree, and since this thread is going in circles I will assert my 5th amendment right and remain silent.
    I wouldn't say it has gone in circles.

If say it has gone a long way in a direction you don't care for. A landslide really, but with all respect- as strong an effort as could possibly be summoned though.
  • Options
    other
    Okay, this is just funny and infuriating at the same time. I hope this douchbag gets arrested for lying on his 4473 forms...that would be the laws working as they should and it would set a great example to anyone with violent pasts trying to buy firearms!!!
    http://www.progressivestoday.com/leftist-journalist-tries-buy-ar15-gets-denied-violent-past/
  • Options
    Yes
    EM194007 said:

PJ_Soul said:

You think they'll give you market value? Ya right. Who will turn in their $1,500 + rifle for peanuts?
    I didn't say that. I just said that there is usually cash back plan. How much cash depends on the particular program. A lot of the time the combination of wanting to abide by the law and getting some cash in their pockets acts as pretty decent motivation for a lot of people to turn in their illegal weapons even if they aren't getting market value.