Should the US institute a ban on assault weapons.

Comments

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited June 2016
    other
    rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

Jason P said:

disagree, I agree there should be some laws and back ground checks but have you done the home work to get a fully automatic gun ??? pretty spendy.

Godfather.

And how many mass shootings have occurred due to an automatic gun?????????

????????

????????????
    automatic weapons are already illegal to own unless you do a mountain of paper work and a huge fee not to mention an additional back ground check but that aside mass killing don't happen due to automatic weapons they occur do to people and if a nut case wants to kill he/she will find a way, a little history should tell you that....on top of all that I think this auto gun show is a bunch of bullshit used as a distraction by the government and the media.

Godfather.

History should also tell you that if people don't have access to machine gun style weapons, they won't kill nearly as many people when they do flip out.
    Do you even know what a machine gun is. Does anyone know that keeps talking about Assault weapons and automatic weapons. An AR-15 is a semi-automatic weapon. One pull one shot, just like a Pistol. I am for tougher laws but not an all out ban. Please educate what you want to ban. I feel like I have the same argument with the Anti Pot people that know nothing too and want to keep that prohibited.
    Exactly...said this earlier too. How are you going to ban something you know nothing about...
    I'm pretty sure the people who have anything to do with gun regulation know everything they need to know about it... Unless you guys know something about Degeneratefk that I don't, it really doesn't matter if he or she understands the intricacies of the weapons. Believe it or not, most people do not need to know that shit to form an opinion on whether or not assault rifles should be sold in stores. Semi-automatic, automatic, whether or not someone calls a semi-automatic a machine gun because they aren't obsessed with the minutiae of the fucking weapons in question.... it TOTALLY doesn't matter, and I think that when any gun supporters starts pulling this shit out it is simply a massive red herring that they are throwing into the debate. Yes, the actual law makers need to know so they can write some good, detailed legislation. Joe schmoe does not need to focus on that shit to understand the issue or the big picture.
    This is completely, "TOTALLY" wrong, there has been example after example of lawmakers trying to make talking points on guns spouting off wrong information. As I said earlier, CO lawmakers technically made the most used hunting shotgun illegal because it "could be converted into one with a higher round count". If you want to be taken seriously by those who own firearms, even those that do not have the "scary" ones, then technicalities do matter. It may not matter to you, but those making the laws are not nearly as educated as you think...or they are trying to dumb down to their voters' level.
    Example: You make 30 round "clips" illegal...then technically that would not have any impact on 30 round "magazines".
    You mention "scary" ones", and this line of thought is either ignorant or dishonest.
    I see it all over FB, and it is annoying. If you are as informed on weapon design as you claim to be, you know that the modifications that make it "scary" were invented and added to military rifles for utility reasons. They make the weapon more effective, you don't seriously think the military uses mods and attachments because they look scary do you? I feel like the pro-gun crowd is often using their more intimate knowledge of firearms to slip lies past people who don't know any better.
    Don't be dishonest and pass on the misinformation in the vein of "the only difference in these 2 rifles is one looks scary" and "there is no such thing as an assault weapon" when you know perfectly well that they are untrue.
    I disagree and think the opposite is true. I think that the anti-gun crowd is constantly making arguments with the sole purpose of making them seem more "scary" to those that do not have much knowledge of firearms. I just saw a ridiculous post from Michael Moore on Facebook saying the .223 bullet should be made illegal because "it spins" when hitting a target...wow. There are reasonable and dishonest arguments on both sides of the platform. I never said that there is no such thing as an assault weapon. Assault weapons like the M60, M249, Tanks, m16s are used all the time by the military. Muskets were assault weapons back in the day. Any gun can be used in an assault...I just feel like it is a poor definition that people that really want to ban all guns use.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    Yes
    Scary has nothing to do with it.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    other
    PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

Jason P said:

disagree, I agree there should be some laws and back ground checks but have you done the home work to get a fully automatic gun ??? pretty spendy.

Godfather.

????????

????????????
    automatic weapons are already illegal to own unless you do a mountain of paper work and a huge fee not to mention an additional back ground check but that aside mass killing don't happen due to automatic weapons they occur do to people and if a nut case wants to kill he/she will find a way, a little history should tell you that....on top of all that I think this auto gun show is a bunch of bullshit used as a distraction by the government and the media.

Godfather.

History should also tell you that if people don't have access to machine gun style weapons, they won't kill nearly as many people when they do flip out.
    Do you even know what a machine gun is. Does anyone know that keeps talking about Assault weapons and automatic weapons. An AR-15 is a semi-automatic weapon. One pull one shot, just like a Pistol. I am for tougher laws but not an all out ban. Please educate what you want to ban. I feel like I have the same argument with the Anti Pot people that know nothing too and want to keep that prohibited.
    Exactly...said this earlier too. How are you going to ban something you know nothing about...
    I'm pretty sure the people who have anything to do with gun regulation know everything they need to know about it... Unless you guys know something about Degeneratefk that I don't, it really doesn't matter if he or she understands the intricacies of the weapons. Believe it or not, most people do not need to know that shit to form an opinion on whether or not assault rifles should be sold in stores. Semi-automatic, automatic, whether or not someone calls a semi-automatic a machine gun because they aren't obsessed with the minutiae of the fucking weapons in question.... it TOTALLY doesn't matter, and I think that when any gun supporters starts pulling this shit out it is simply a massive red herring that they are throwing into the debate. Yes, the actual law makers need to know so they can write some good, detailed legislation. Joe schmoe does not need to focus on that shit to understand the issue or the big picture.
    This is completely, "TOTALLY" wrong, there has been example after example of lawmakers trying to make talking points on guns spouting off wrong information. As I said earlier, CO lawmakers technically made the most used hunting shotgun illegal because it "could be converted into one with a higher round count". If you want to be taken seriously by those who own firearms, even those that do not have the "scary" ones, then technicalities do matter. It may not matter to you, but those making the laws are not nearly as educated as you think...or they are trying to dumb down to their voters' level.
    Example: You make 30 round "clips" illegal...then technically that would not have any impact on 30 round "magazines".
    You mention "scary" ones", and this line of thought is either ignorant or dishonest.
    I see it all over FB, and it is annoying. If you are as informed on weapon design as you claim to be, you know that the modifications that make it "scary" were invented and added to military rifles for utility reasons. They make the weapon more effective, you don't seriously think the military uses mods and attachments because they look scary do you? I feel like the pro-gun crowd is often using their more intimate knowledge of firearms to slip lies past people who don't know any better.
    Don't be dishonest and pass on the misinformation in the vein of "the only difference in these 2 rifles is one looks scary" and "there is no such thing as an assault weapon" when you know perfectly well that they are untrue.
    I disagree and think the opposite is true. I think that the anti-gun crowd is constantly making arguments with the sole purpose of making them seem more "scary" to those that do not have much knowledge of firearms. I just saw a ridiculous post from Michael Moore on Facebook saying the .223 bullet should be made illegal because "it spins" when hitting a target...wow. There are reasonable and dishonest arguments on both sides of the platform. I never said that there is no such thing as an assault weapon. Assault weapons like the M60, M249, Tanks, m16s are used all the time by the military. Muskets were assault weapons back in the day. Any gun can be used in an assault...I just feel like it is a poor definition that people that really want to ban all guns use.
    While I am sure that's true in some cases, in the vast majority of cases people understand tactical weapons are different from hunting and defense weapons, even if they say clip instead of magazine.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    edited June 2016
    other
    rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

Jason P said:

Godfather.

????????

????????????

Godfather.

While I am sure that's true in some cases, in the vast majority of cases people understand tactical weapons are different from hunting and defense weapons, even if they say clip instead of magazine.
    Not sure I understand your clip vs magazine argument. Specifics make all the difference in the world if you are wanting to ban something. What about a hunting or "defense" gun is fundamentally different? Semi-automatic? I use different guns for different hunting environments. If I am shooting long distances I use a long rifle. If I am walking through brush infested with wild hogs, I use a semi-auto. I think intent is the thing. If someone assaults someone, then their gun is now a weapon used in an assault...I find that people in general do not know shit.
    other
    PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

Jason P said:

Godfather.

????????

????????????

Godfather.

Not sure I understand your clip vs magazine argument. Specifics make all the difference in the world if you are wanting to ban something. What about a hunting or "defense" gun is fundamentally different? Semi-automatic? I use different guns for different hunting environments. If I am shooting long distances I use a long rifle. If I am walking through brush infested with wild hogs, I use a semi-auto. I think intent is the thing. If someone assaults someone, then their gun is now a weapon used in an assault...I find that people in general do not know shit.
    As PJSoul mentioned, it is up to lawmakers to detail the specifics and get it right.
    Bans and regulations are not about intent, they are about capabilities.
    You know exactly what differences I speak of in comparing traditionally labeled "assault rifles" and those sufficient for hunting and self defense, this kind of equivocation is exactly the dishonesty I am talking about.
    edited June 2016
    other
    rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

Jason P said:

Godfather.

????????

????????????

Godfather.

As PJSoul mentioned, it is up to lawmakers to detail the specifics and get it right.
    You know exactly what differences I speak of in comparing traditionally labeled "assault rifles" and those sufficient for hunting and self defense, this kind of equivocation is exactly the dishonesty I am talking about.
    Then you do not know what you are talking about. Plain and simple, if you want to ban aspects of my personal property, then be specific about what you want me to get rid of and create a well articulated argument why. Some people say pistol grips, why? Some people say semi-automatics, why? Can I still have a pistol grip on a rifle if it is not semi-auto? Can I have a semi-auto if it does not have a pistol grip and does not have a 30 round magazine inserted in it? This is the reason I have a problem with the "assault rifle" term. You will just go round and round with people that know a thing or two about guns if you do not what you are talking about...because they do. I guess my real argument is that I cannot realistically see a way in which "assault weapons" are going to be banned...so many ways around these poorly written laws.
    other
    PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

Jason P said:

Godfather.

????????

????????????

Godfather.

Then you do not know what you are talking about. Plain and simple, if you want to ban aspects of my personal property, then be specific about what you want me to get rid of and create a well articulated argument why. Some people say pistol grips, why? Some people say semi-automatics, why? Can I still have a pistol grip on a rifle if it is not semi-auto? Can I have a semi-auto if it does not have a pistol grip and does not have a 30 round magazine inserted in it? This is the reason I have a problem with the "assault rifle" term. You will just go round and round with people that know a thing or two about guns if you do not what you are talking about...because they do. I guess my real argument is that I cannot realistically see a way in which "assault weapons" are going to be banned...so many ways around these poorly written laws.
    I wouldn't ban pistol grips or semi-autos, but I would ban stocks that aren't fixed.
    Limiting magazines to 5 rounds is the big important step we need to take.
    If I had a magic wand I would make all guns either bolt action or 15 shot tube fed. No magazines, no clips.
    But that's not realistic so limiting mag size severely is what needs done.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,988
    edited June 2016
    If I had a magic wand I'd just end violence, then we can have whatever guns we wanted,
    If the wand still worked after that, I'd get the 3 LP's missing in my collection; Benny, Binaural, RVM.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Yes
    The "mansplaining" has got to stop. Every single comment I (or anyone else) has made about the assault weapon used in Orlando to kill or maim 103 people is being met by a dude who feels the need to "mansplain" to me what an assault weapon is. See this photo? That's me in the center, briefing a squad of military police soldiers. Kiss my a$$. I know that weapon inside and out. It has no place in my home. You want to get your jollies from firing a weapon like that? Then do what I did, AND VOLUNTEER TO SERVE IN THE ARMY. I'm no longer in the Army, and I no longer need to have this kind of weapon handy for any reason.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1184293548294350&set=a.125259017531147.21678.100001411472745&type=3&theater
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,149
    Yes
    i say any rifle capable of use in combat be banned for civilian use. we have no NEED for those guns.

if those guns were so safe and were not meant to be lethal and efficient killing machines, then why would our government purchase them and put them in the hands of our soldiers? you wouldn't send troops into battle without them, would you?
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,970
    The majority of gun deaths in this country are suicides. I would be willing to bet that most of those consist of one shot being fired.

Address the alarming suicide rate, gang violence and promote gun safety programs to reduce accidents and the death toll will fall.

"Assault weapons" and high capacity magazines are not anywhere near the root of the gun violence in this country.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,507
    Yes
    Suicide is not gun violence.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Yes
    dudeman said:

The majority of gun deaths in this country are suicides. I would be willing to bet that most of those consist of one shot being fired.

Address the alarming suicide rate, gang violence and promote gun safety programs to reduce accidents and the death toll will fall.

"Assault weapons" and high capacity magazines are not anywhere near the root of the gun violence in this country.

I'm not sure why gun advocates insist on not counting suicides as violent crime. Maybe if the person that obviously has mental health issues isn't granted such easy access to guns, maybe suicide deaths by guns decrease.

Assault rifles are not the root cause of the gunew problem, but banning them is a good start.
    PJ_Soul said:

According to the statistics, over 30,000 people die from bullet wounds in the US annually. Over 20,000 of them are suicides.

The remainder accounts for murders, accidents, self-defense shootings and officer involved shootings.

I can't be the only one that is floored by the fact that over 20,000 Americans choose to take their own lives each year. Worse yet is that the discussion is about "assault weapons" and high capacity magazines. WTF?

dudeman said:

I'm not sure why gun advocates insist on not counting suicides as violent crime. Maybe if the person that obviously has mental health issues isn't granted such easy access to guns, maybe suicide deaths by guns decrease.

Assault rifles are not the root cause of the gunew problem, but banning them is a good start.
    I don't necessarily consider suicide to be "violent crime", but it's always included in the statistics posted by Gun Control Advocates. Annual gun-related death tolls are much scarier than actual, murders with guns. Looking at the percentages, murders with "assault weapons" and high capacity magazines are very low. They grab headlines and get everyone riled up.

If you're really concerned with significantly reducing murders with guns, stop wasting time on "assault weapons".

Increased background checks, mandatory training and enforcing existing gun laws are the place to start.

Gang-busting task forces and actual, legal, gainful employment opportunities for inner-city residents would help, too.

Also, for all of you tokers, stop buying weed on the street and giving money to cartels and drug dealers. That only perpetuates the violence.
  • dudeman said:

dudeman said:

Also, for all of you tokers, stop buying weed on the street and giving money to cartels and drug dealers. That only perpetuates the violence.
    Oh, oh

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,537
    Yes
    dignin said:

The "mansplaining" has got to stop. Every single comment I (or anyone else) has made about the assault weapon used in Orlando to kill or maim 103 people is being met by a dude who feels the need to "mansplain" to me what an assault weapon is. See this photo? That's me in the center, briefing a squad of military police soldiers. Kiss my a$$. I know that weapon inside and out. It has no place in my home. You want to get your jollies from firing a weapon like that? Then do what I did, AND VOLUNTEER TO SERVE IN THE ARMY. I'm no longer in the Army, and I no longer need to have this kind of weapon handy for any reason.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1184293548294350&set=a.125259017531147.21678.100001411472745&type=3&theater

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Yes
    dudeman said:

PJ_Soul said:

According to the statistics, over 30,000 people die from bullet wounds in the US annually. Over 20,000 of them are suicides.

The remainder accounts for murders, accidents, self-defense shootings and officer involved shootings.

I can't be the only one that is floored by the fact that over 20,000 Americans choose to take their own lives each year. Worse yet is that the discussion is about "assault weapons" and high capacity magazines. WTF?
    This is a discussion about assault weapons. If you would like to talk about suicides by gun you are more than welcome to start your own thread about that. Although I don't think that's your actual motive (but hey, maybe I'm wrong).Thanks in advance.
  • EM194007EM194007 Posts: 2,827

And how do we do that with the current HIPAA Law? Obamacare put the HIPAA Law on steroids. If you have been in a mental facility, then you could stop some from getting them. But many people out there that have mental issues, are covered under the HIPAA Law that can't be stopped from buying a weapon, because no information can be shared.
  • Yes
    The f**king gun nuts saying "Whoo scary looking" to people making solid arguments they cannot counter with anything logical are ridiculous and lend more weight to the proponents of gun control side.

In fairness to them... I'll say this though... the AR15 doing its work as it was intended to do (urban assaults) at Sandy Hook et al were likely really f**king scary. Sooo... the comment is misplaced (no problem... sometimes people don't know their ass from a hole in the ground).

It's just plain f**king stupid to try and argue that an AR15 is 'just another weapon'. F**king retarded. Geezuz man.

I won't hold my breath waiting for the next big, bold headline 'Maniac With 12 Guage Shotgun Kills 50 and Injures 50 More in Minutes'.

Holy Christ, man. Seriously.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    dignin said:

dudeman said:

PJ_Soul said:

This is a discussion about assault weapons. If you would like to talk about suicides by gun you are more than welcome to start your own thread about that. Although I don't think that's your actual motive (but hey, maybe I'm wrong).Thanks in advance.
    I don't have a motive other than to say that no positive, meaningful change will come from banning "assault weapons" in this country.

Respectfully, I'll leave this thread alone.
  • ^^^
    Stick to your guns man don't walk away.
    Yes
    EM194007 said:

And how do we do that with the current HIPAA Law? Obamacare put the HIPAA Law on steroids. If you have been in a mental facility, then you could stop some from getting them. But many people out there that have mental issues, are covered under the HIPAA Law that can't be stopped from buying a weapon, because no information can be shared.
    I understand hippa laws. I don't have the answer to that. But mental health should be somehow considered when somebody is trying to buy a gun.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,651
    other
    I want the study allowed and funded that shows how weapons get to the black market. then based on those findings , enact the legislation that targets that.

waiting period , perhaps, on models based on military weaponery. and/or legislation restricting some of the mods available and magazine capacities.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,818
    No
    mickeyrat said:

I want the study allowed and funded that shows how weapons get to the black market. then based on those findings , enact the legislation that targets that.

waiting period , perhaps, on models based on military weaponery. and/or legislation restricting some of the mods available and magazine capacities.

I think magazine capacity is key. No need for a damn 30 round mag, 15 is plenty.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Yes
    mcgruff10 said:

mickeyrat said:

I think magazine capacity is key. No need for a damn 30 round mag, 15 is plenty.
    How about 6?

If you can't shoot your wild pig with 6.. then you shouldn't be shooting anything.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,537
    edited June 2016
    Yes
    Ugh...

US car dealer offers free AR-15 assault rifle with every car.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jun/17/new-hampshire-car-dealer-free-ar15-assault-rifle
    other
    mcgruff10 said:

mickeyrat said:

So what are we going to do afterwards? I think we can both agree that a ban will not make them go away, right? How would you propose ensuring that they are no longer in the hands of people? I'm pretty sure that at this point there are enough of them floating around out there to last for centuries. So someone gets into their grandfather's closet and goes on a mass killing spree...what do we ban now? I sure hope that the anti-gun crowd does not support door to door confiscation, because that would definitely not end well. What other programs do we put in place that would make a real difference once they get "banned".
  • Yes
    53 to 8 (change to no change) with 46 wanting an all out ban. 87% seeking reform.

I thought your country was a democracy? What of the will of the people?
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,818
    No

mcgruff10 said:

mickeyrat said:

How about 6?

If you can't shoot your wild pig with 6.. then you shouldn't be shooting anything.
    no six is just plain dumb. lots and lots of guns would be banned. (including my garand which one day you'll me shooting). i'm liking 15 for some reason. (maybe because that's the law i'm used to here in new jersey)
    pjpower, I guess we could grandfather all those 30 round mags? I was just trying to find some middle ground between ban and the status quo. here in nj our asshat legislators have all these new types of gun control bills ready for next week. first up is 15 to 10 round mags. I hate this state.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......