Options

Should the US institute a ban on assault weapons.

Comments

• Options
    Yes
    This thread is about assault weapons
     You hunt with those???what are you trying to do ruin the meat you propose to eat. There would be no meat worth having after a blast of your powerful manly gun.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

The attack on hunters is unwarranted in this context.

In the trophy hunting thread... I'd be arm in arm with you, but here it's not helpful.

Hunting for your own protein is more respectable than buying it from Costco. And to the vegetarian/naturalist types that flaunt their awesomeness... do you wear leather shoes? Do you drive your VW vans- smoke spewing from the tailpipes- to the logging protests? Do you have a dog or cat (Meltdown I see one in your avatar)? Do you feed them pet food? Do you know what's in pet food? Do you know how unethical the protein was raised in typical pet food? My point is: you're not as wholesome as you think and probably shouldn't flaunt yourself as the world's saviour.
    Hunting is equally as unethical ...

I'd disagree, but if you're saying this... then you likely shouldn't be passing judgement.
    Where in my original statement did I say farming/ranching was ethical, believe I never did.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,874
    No
    tbergs said:
    Why must anyone even hunt i do not understand? There must be other ways to spend your time that are creative rather than killing anything at all?
    Im not from where you are but the love of nature and animals and people is universal i think.
    You have to understand that people hunt for their meat. Not everyone is vegetarian and it's much more healthy and environmentally friendly for a hunter to kill their own food than to support corporate farming.
    No no no i do not have to understand. Why only in America do you have to have a gun to hunt. What . Thats not right. Ok i guess some game keepers in england may own a single shot gun for vermin which im not educated on. But to say i must understand is wrong. Environmentally friendly would also apply to shooting people with such guns. Thats not very friendly full stop. There are ways and farming without grabbing a gun and going into the wild its purely to feel manly. Which again i do not understand. Feel so manly when armed!
    There is a ton of hunting tradition right in your own backyard in england and scotland.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Yes

The attack on hunters is unwarranted in this context.

In the trophy hunting thread... I'd be arm in arm with you, but here it's not helpful.

Hunting for your own protein is more respectable than buying it from Costco. And to the vegetarian/naturalist types that flaunt their awesomeness... do you wear leather shoes? Do you drive your VW vans- smoke spewing from the tailpipes- to the logging protests? Do you have a dog or cat (Meltdown I see one in your avatar)? Do you feed them pet food? Do you know what's in pet food? Do you know how unethical the protein was raised in typical pet food? My point is: you're not as wholesome as you think and probably shouldn't flaunt yourself as the world's saviour.
    Hunting is equally as unethical ...

I'd disagree, but if you're saying this... then you likely shouldn't be passing judgement.
    Where in my original statement did I say farming/ranching was ethical, believe I never did.  

You never did. But when you said this:

For the most part hunters are cowards ... you don’t need to apologize for your views...

Another thing about hunters ... sitting camaflouged in some sort of tree stand, ground cover, duck blind with a killing weapon does not make you anything but a coward ... and in many cases they have baited these areas to attract wildlife ... then BOOM, bye, bye wildlife.  Why don’t hunters take on a black bear with some good old fashion hand to bear paw combat...now that’s a sport I’d to see.

They don’t hunt for sustenance or health like they claim

... there are some rather large implications left to interpretation (one being hunters are lesser protein eaters than others). 

I don't hunt anymore. I gave it up when my father did and I don't miss it. I can eat animals, but I struggle killing them to do it (makes me a bigger coward than hunters as you claimed).                      
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    Why must anyone even hunt i do not understand? There must be other ways to spend your time that are creative rather than killing anything at all?
    Im not from where you are but the love of nature and animals and people is universal i think.
    You have to understand that people hunt for their meat. Not everyone is vegetarian and it's much more healthy and environmentally friendly for a hunter to kill their own food than to support corporate farming.
    No no no i do not have to understand. Why only in America do you have to have a gun to hunt. What . Thats not right. Ok i guess some game keepers in england may own a single shot gun for vermin which im not educated on. But to say i must understand is wrong. Environmentally friendly would also apply to shooting people with such guns. Thats not very friendly full stop. There are ways and farming without grabbing a gun and going into the wild its purely to feel manly. Which again i do not understand. Feel so manly when armed!
    There is a ton of hunting tradition right in your own backyard in england and scotland.  
    In the past i think traps may have been used and like i said some groundsman and gamekeepers may use a single shot rifle to shoot vermin its 2018. And we are talking automatic weapons
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Yes
    I still think hunting is totally unnecessary in this age. We don't hunt for food as a rule anymore anywhere in Europe at all and i can't believe you NEED to hunt. You WANT to. Thats completely different. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Yes
    No problem with hunting for food if it's done in a sustainable way. I personally love deer sausage and moose burgers. But you don't need an assault weapon to hunt, that's ridiculous.
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited February 2018
    other
    I still think hunting is totally unnecessary in this age. We don't hunt for food as a rule anymore anywhere in Europe at all and i can't believe you NEED to hunt. You WANT to. Thats completely different. 
    You are totally right.  I could go to the supermarket and buy over priced meat from feedyards/slaughterhouses, but I prefer to get most of my meat from the field.  Not to mention, venison is way healthier than beef, on the same level as salmon (not that I don’t eat beef as well, but not supermarket stuff, my family are ranchers and I usually butcher them straight off the field).  
    The only time I hunt with a semi-auto is if i’m hunting in heavy brush where wild/feral hogs roam.  
    Other times I may hunt with a bow or bolt action rifle...All just depends on the environment.  
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    other
    You dont NEED 90% of the things and pursuits that fill your life either, and they all come at a cost.
    If you want to have an educated opinion on the topic you need to visit a feedlot.  That's what is sick.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Yes
    rgambs said:
    You dont NEED 90% of the things and pursuits that fill your life either, and they all come at a cost.
    If you want to have an educated opinion on the topic you need to visit a feedlot.  That's what is sick.
    No no i have an educated opinion thanks very much. Im very educated. And its my opinion. Remember semi automatic weapons... why? Whats educated about that. We could go back and forward like other threads. My way is mine and yours will never take its place. I can buy venison or whatever meat i have no need to hunt it. Its nothing to do with cruel in my opinion its just pointless. Its purely so you  gun nuts can flex your testosterone and feel like a "real" man. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,711
    Yes
    rgambs said:
    We're getting off subject here and that surprises me because I don't recall any time on AMT when that has happened.

BUT, since we are veering off the tracks, there are options that lie between shooting wildlife (a disgusting habit in my view) and eating meat that comes from insanely inhumane feedlots.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    No
    rgambs said:
    No no i have an educated opinion thanks very much. Im very educated. And its my opinion. Remember semi automatic weapons... why? Whats educated about that. We could go back and forward like other threads. My way is mine and yours will never take its place. I can buy venison or whatever meat i have no need to hunt it. Its nothing to do with cruel in my opinion its just pointless. Its purely so you  gun nuts can flex your testosterone and feel like a "real" man. 
    Are you vegan?
  • Options
    Yes
    No i eat everything. I have no ethical reason or any kind of problem with eating anything. I just can't see the need to have guns at all for anything. Ive never even held a gun. It has no joy for me. Animals are killed in many ways thats ok. But to use hunting as the excuse to own a semi auto gun makes zero sence its a weak argument.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Yes
    This thread is about banning semi automatic weapons?
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    other
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    We're getting off subject here and that surprises me because I don't recall any time on AMT when that has happened.

BUT, since we are veering off the tracks, there are options that lie between shooting wildlife (a disgusting habit in my view) and eating meat that comes from insanely inhumane feedlots.
    Wildlife kills other wildlife all the time, life and death is just that.  I lost a chicken last week, and, well...oh well.  She was a terrible producer and a constant disruption in the flock, so I'm able to be glad that some majestic predator (because they are all majestic, and part of the reason humans feel that way is because we are predators too) got a full belly.

There are options in between, but a Venn diagram of people who criticize hunting and people who don't eat CAFO products would show only a small sliver of overlap, IMO.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,711
    Yes
    It is?  I thought it was about snipe hunting*.  :lol:

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snipe_hunt

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Yes
    Oh well ive said how i feel. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,239
    Yes, but you brought up how no one needs or should have a gun and that hunters are unethical. So, here we are :)
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Yes
    No i did not say unethical at all
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Yes
    I said nobody needs a gun. For anything.nothing to do with ethics
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    other
    No i eat everything. I have no ethical reason or any kind of problem with eating anything. I just can't see the need to have guns at all for anything. Ive never even held a gun. It has no joy for me. Animals are killed in many ways thats ok. But to use hunting as the excuse to own a semi auto gun makes zero sence its a weak argument.
    It's just that you attacked hunting very broadly, not within the context of defending the right to own semi-automatic weapons, and those attacks are personal to people who live a lifestyle passed down for untold generations.
    Just because you don't understand it, that's not a reason to pan anyone involved.
    Where you see an unnecessary and brutal pursuit, others see a fundamental human tradition being kept alive.
    Where B-Lux sees a disturbing action, others see expression of traits that are, again, fundamental to the human experience.  
    It isn't a disruption of nature, it's a true expression of nature. 
    Some aren't inclined to it, some are far too inclined to it, but it's fundamental nonetheless.
  • Options
    Yes
    Totally within the context. People are saying they need them for hunting. Semi automatic weapons for hunting. Read back
     And i disagree. Thats ok isn't it?
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Yes
    I haven't panned or called anyone anything. Ive merely disagreed with it and said to me its about power . Not feeding yourself and repeatedly said i agree with no guns. For any reason
     That's my own  view
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Yes
    In tradition such as native indians they surly aren't using these weapons?
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    other
    tbergs said:
    Yes, but you brought up how no one needs or should have a gun and that hunters are unethical. So, here we are :)
    It’s kind of a non-issue as I do not see hunting going away any time soon.  I do, however, take issue with someone apposing firearm ownership specifically because they are anti-hunting.  Not directing specifically at anyone here (but I do wonder if some people here align with that stupidity).
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,239
    No i did not say unethical at all
    My apologies, that was from Meltdown.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Yes
    Im anti guns lets be clear. All guns. And im thinking shooting a deer or whatever must only need a single shot. Like a gun with a scope and a single shot. Hunting is another issue. But when people are saying no to banning assault weapon because they need them to hunt thats were i say eerr no you don't need some rapid fire weapon to shoot a deer or a moose. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Yes
    But my view or opinions will not change a damn thing so i will voice it thats all we can all do. Thanks
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    No
    In tradition such as native indians they surly aren't using these weapons?
    tradition as in my some of my fondest childhood memories are walking the fields with both of my grandfathers and dad.  Just like fishing it wasn't about catching fish or in this case shooting anything but rather spending time in the woods with men I loved and respected.  All three passed on their knowledge and expertise to me.  My grandfather taught my dad and now my dad, father in law (along with myself) are passing this same knowledge to my four sons.  
    I've never used an "assault" weapon for hunting but who I am to speak for a guy in the backwoods of Alaska or one of our own, pjpower, who could possibly be in a life or death situation when engaging wild boar.
    I've used a semi-automatic shotgun and .22LR while hunting and I don't think either of them should be banned.
  • Options
    other
    Im anti guns lets be clear. All guns. And im thinking shooting a deer or whatever must only need a single shot. Like a gun with a scope and a single shot. Hunting is another issue. But when people are saying no to banning assault weapon because they need them to hunt thats were i say eerr no you don't need some rapid fire weapon to shoot a deer or a moose. 
    You are anti-gun ownership...I think you have made yourself clear.  I, for one, am glad you cannot vote in the US, but you are bound to find good company in the AMT.  For the record, though, plenty of people in Europe own firearms, but it is mostly a white collar item as it is rather expensive to own a firearm there.