Options

Tool

Comments

• Options
    FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    dudeman said:
    I'm sooo ready for new music from these guys. Was listening to 10,000 Days today and thought, "Every one of their albums is a masterpiece".

Not too many bands I would say that about. 
    I definitely agree.  It's never been a question of "will I like this?"  They have easily earned the benefit of the doubt with me.  I'm thinking they can go Polka with the next album and I'll still have it on repeat.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    These guys overtook PJ in the late 90's for me
  • Options
    We were on a bit of a concert binge of late. My buddy was a Tool fan- but wasn't so much of a fan that he knew the entire catalogue and had never seen them. We went to Tool in Vancouver this last go around. He was blown away.

I asked him to rank the concerts he had seen in order of personal favourites. This was his list:

Tool
    Metallica (I bailed... too busy moving)
    Tom Petty
    U2
    Red Hot Chili Peppers

(mine went: Tool, RHCP, U2, Tom Petty, GnR)

He threw in the disclaimer that all were pretty awesome and that fact spoke to how cool he thought the Tool show was. He drove up to the site where we embarked on our mountain bike ride last night playing Undertow. He's all in!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Tool, Pearl Jam & Faith No More are my all time favorites in no particular order. In the last 2.5 years I've been lucky enough to see them a combined ten times.

I'm a very grateful fan. 
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,282
    Tool, Pearl Jam & Faith No More are my all time favorites in no particular order. In the last 2.5 years I've been lucky enough to see them a combined ten times.

I'm a very grateful fan. 

Wow man!  You just nailed my top 3 also.  We must have been separated at birth.  Great taste Merkin!
  • Options
    mr bungle said:

I'm a very grateful fan. 

Wow man!  You just nailed my top 3 also.  We must have been separated at birth.  Great taste Merkin!
    Ha, possible! I love the handle (I think I've mentioned this before!). Did you see this picture from the Dead Cross show in NYC this week? 

https://twitter.com/fnmfollowers/status/908449706820472833

Imagine Patton, Spruance, Lombardo & Dunn in a band together? Those guys could own the world. 
  • Options
    Consider this!!  The Beatles entire recording and touring career was shorter than the time lapsed since 10,000 days was released.
  • Options
    mr bungle said:
    Consider this!!  The Beatles entire recording and touring career was shorter than the time lapsed since 10,000 days was released.
    Yeah, I don't really care anymore...
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,110
    edited October 2017
    mr bungle said:
    I can't imagine living at a time when bands put out two albums a year.   When Pearl Jam put out albums in 91, 93, 94.  That seemed pretty frequent, and no one does then that frequently anymore (new bands make more on touring than recording and veteran bands slow down their output).   Its crazy that at one point in time bands were pumping out 2 albums a year.   I think the Doors were like that too.   Their who catalog was recorded in a very short time span.
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    mr bungle said:
    Same.

I really enjoyed their last concert- it was awesome- but I'm tired of anticipating when the new album will ever come out. It's been painful.

I'll say it again... if you guys would stop supporting those sub par side projects... Maynard might be a little more motivated to work with Tool.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,744
    mr bungle said:
    Same.

I really enjoyed their last concert- it was awesome- but I'm tired of anticipating when the new album will ever come out. It's been painful.

I'll say it again... if you guys would stop supporting those sub par side projects... Maynard might be a little more motivated to work with Tool.
    Ok ok I won't make the trip to Laval lol. 
  • Options
    mr bungle said:
    Same.

Well, according to Maynard it's not on him.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/consequenceofsound.net/2017/07/maynard-james-keenan-gets-candid-about-tools-new-album/amp/

Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    mr bungle said:
    Same.

Well, according to Maynard it's not on him.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/consequenceofsound.net/2017/07/maynard-james-keenan-gets-candid-about-tools-new-album/amp/

I've known that it's not just him but the band wasn't writing collectively for 10 years, that's TEN YEARS, because of a lawsuit that "sucked the creativity out of them".

Maynard made wine and side projects.

Danny drummed at The Baked Potato.

Justin?  No Idea what he's done.

Adam?  No idea either...
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    Danny Carey has a new side project. 

https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/10/tool-and-mastodon-supergroup-the-legend-of-the-seagullmen-set-to-make-their-live-debut/

I think Adam Jones is the holdup at this point. I’m hard pressed to believe that Maynard only wants to be creative w/ APC & Puscifer. I don’t think the guys who clearly want to record & tour are the reason Tool hasn’t released an album all this time. That’s my $0.02. 
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    It's just silly at this point... I'll just wait for them to bring their 90 minute live show to my area.... is Tool is even really a band at this point?
  • Options
    Still a real band, and still scheduling shows. Even if they never released another album, I would still go see them when given the chance. It’s mother effing Tool & they’re IMO still one of the greatest acts of our day. 

With that that being said, I’ll just leave this here: 
    http://loudwire.com/tom-morello-hearing-epic-majestic-symphonic-new-music-tool/
  • Options
    Zod said:
    mr bungle said:
    I can't imagine living at a time when bands put out two albums a year.   When Pearl Jam put out albums in 91, 93, 94.  That seemed pretty frequent, and no one does then that frequently anymore (new bands make more on touring than recording and veteran bands slow down their output).   Its crazy that at one point in time bands were pumping out 2 albums a year.   I think the Doors were like that too.   Their who catalog was recorded in a very short time span.
    Don't forget after Vitalogy, two year gaps were the norm. No Code-96, Yield-98, Binaural-2000, Riot Act-2002. They were still very prolific 7 albums in.   Now it's been 3 albums in 15 years.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I just want a vinyl copy of Ænima..... =) 
  • Options
    ND260106ND260106 Posts: 101
    mr bungle said:
    Zod said:
    mr bungle said:
    Don't forget after Vitalogy, two year gaps were the norm. No Code-96, Yield-98, Binaural-2000, Riot Act-2002. They were still very prolific 7 albums in.   Now it's been 3 albums in 15 years.
    My understanding these days is bands make more money touring than making albums? 
    Also, bands like PJ, for example, don't really have the demand to keep releasing new material. 
    PJ
    2006 - Melbourne - Nov. 16
    2009 - Melbourne - Nov. 20
    2013 - LA Nov. 24 / Oakland - Nov. 26 / Portland Nov. 29 / Vancouver Dec. 4
    2014 - Melbourne - Jan. 24
    2018 - Boston - Sep. 2 / Boston Sep. 4
    EV
    2011 - Melbourne - Mar. 24
    2014 - Melbourne - Feb. 16 / Melbourne - Feb. 18
    TOTD
    2016 - Seattle - Nov. 21 / Seattle Nov. 22
  • Options
    ND260106ND260106 Posts: 101
    Anyone else see the Tom Morello post on Instagram yesterday with Justin, Danny, and Adam. He mentioned that he has heard the new Tool tracks and loved them. 
    Any danger Maynard can drop APC and focus on Tool?
    PJ
    2006 - Melbourne - Nov. 16
    2009 - Melbourne - Nov. 20
    2013 - LA Nov. 24 / Oakland - Nov. 26 / Portland Nov. 29 / Vancouver Dec. 4
    2014 - Melbourne - Jan. 24
    2018 - Boston - Sep. 2 / Boston Sep. 4
    EV
    2011 - Melbourne - Mar. 24
    2014 - Melbourne - Feb. 16 / Melbourne - Feb. 18
    TOTD
    2016 - Seattle - Nov. 21 / Seattle Nov. 22
  • Options
    ND260106 said:
    Anyone else see the Tom Morello post on Instagram yesterday with Justin, Danny, and Adam. He mentioned that he has heard the new Tool tracks and loved them. 
    Any danger Maynard can drop APC and focus on Tool?
    Not with everybody worshipping them. 

With that said... when they get their act together, release their new album, and plan a tour... they'll hire Rage as their supporting act and it will be bliss.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Rage is no supporting act lol
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    It's not Rage without Zach...
  • Options
    My white whale.
  • Options

mr bungle said:
    Zod said:
    mr bungle said:
    The concept of albums is dead to most music fans.  Music is promoted as singles with the ability to buy single tracks digitally.  

I am wondering how much longer rock and roll can last.  With the Beatles everything was new.  It just seems like music is getting harder and harder to make without being accused of ripping off someone from yesteryear.  As far as bands like Pearl Jam slowing down music production, I don’t care what anyone says the well has to dry out eventually.  I would never blame them for not putting out music they feel wasn’t up to their standards.  When the creativity bug hits them so be it but I don’t need no timeline.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    AJ posts over at the Hoffman forums and said a vinyl reissue campaign is going down soon.
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    DewieCox said:
    AJ posts over at the Hoffman forums and said a vinyl reissue campaign is going down soon.
    Looks like I’ll be buying a third copy 
    I have a original black and an amber bootleg.
    Original sounds incredible but I’d like a audiophile pressing of this beast!
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    my2hands said:

I know. But I can wish for it can't I?
  • Options
    iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,300
    FrankY59 said:
    My white whale.
    A buddy of mine found a vinyl copy in a record store, in Tulsa, OK unexpectedly an unopened copy. 
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)